No announcement yet.

My True Primal Story by SweetPickles

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A great weekend. Mr. SP's birthday was celebrated with assorted meats and a tiny sliver of cake for me, a rather substantial piece for him. Mr. SP likes an understated birthday and he loved that we kept it simple. Personally, I think that there should be at least some fireworks and a parade on one's birthday, but I try to respect his wishes.

I did CrossFit three times last week, and I was a bit sore over the weekend - but nothing that inhibited my normal activities. I usually only nanny during the week, but I had the girls all day Saturday. It was cold and dreary but luckily for me, they like rain walks and bundled up walks. And dancing to the Dean Martin Christmas Album. But that was probably the only exercise I got over the weekend. I was catching up on a lot of my academic work and I see more of that in my future before the semester ends.

And this morning I woke up with a sore throat. At first I thought it was just because of dry air, but no, I've got a slight fever and I'm definitely fighting a bug. You know how men can act like big babies when they are sick? Well, I think that's sexist. So I act like the biggest baby in the world when I'm sick. Poor Mr. SP. I hope I fight this off quickly.
    My True Primal Story

Comment

Eek, full-blown sickness now. I feel like I have a sinus infection, which I am prone to getting after a cold, but I haven't had a cold, so this is probably the cold. Though I've had lots of sinus problems in the past, I haven't experienced so much as morning stuffiness since I went primal - this all came on as a big surprise. My face and my teeth and my ears are throbbing, and so I'm taking the real drugs. Not primal at all, but pseudoephedrine allows me to breathe. Welcome to the SweetPickles Meth Lab! Hey, if you don't have show your I.D. to get it, why bother? That's what I say.

So, I'm high on drugs and Law and Order. Old school, Michael Moriarty L & O on the Netflix. No CrossFit today, bah. I did IF this morning because that's how my schedule usually works on Tuesdays, but I'm wondering if I should eat lunch or purposely continue the fast to help my body heal? I'm on the fence about eating because my stomach is a little queasy from all the drainage, ick. But food might help that...never mind all that, I know what I really need to do is relax and just accept this terrible betrayal from my body. We all have to get sick sometimes or there would be so much TV left unwatched. That Toddlers and Tiaras Season 1 isn't going to watch itself, you know.
      My True Primal Story

Comment

Hey SP I just read your entire journal. You have done so well. I'm sorry that you are ill today.

Guess what?............................................. .................................................. ....................I'm half Wisconsonian. My mother was born in Madison. Sadly she passed away two months ago, but I still have tons of relatives there and we plan to come home for reunion in July. I'm an amateur genealogist. My German ancestors came to WI from Prussia in the 1860's and had a farm in Waushara County.
        Primal since 9/24/2010
        "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
        MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Comment

Thanks Pebbles! Being ill is no fun, but I am also probably being a bit of a big baby...

I'm so sorry to hear about your mother. It sounds like you have a great connection with her part of the family. And half-Wisco counts - you're in the club! I love living in Madison, but July is a better time to visit than January! I'm guessing your weather in NY isn't very different, though.
          My True Primal Story

Comment

I think you get more snow by volume even with our noreasters. We get wet cold not just cold. Mom used to speak about walking to school through snowbanks bigger than she was.
            Primal since 9/24/2010
            "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
            MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Comment

Wow great journal thus far. I really like your writing style. Keep at it.

Comment

SP, love your journal - totally fun to read!

I'm also in the midwest, and I agree - cold showers are completely out of the question! lol It was 20 deg this morning...and for the next 4 months. Ick.

After i was about 2 months into primal and loving the tangible effects of weight loss and better skin, I began to realize the intangibles are what is important. I am getting in touch with what affects my digestive tract, my moods, my sleep patterns...all kinds of good stuff!

Hope you get well fast!
                pbj
                my info:

If you can't tell the truth about yourself, you can't tell it about other people --- Virginia Woolf

My journal

Comment

Originally posted by goalgetter28 View Post
                  Wow great journal thus far. I really like your writing style. Keep at it.
                  Thanks Goalgetter!
                  My True Primal Story

Comment

Originally posted by pbj View Post
                    SP, love your journal - totally fun to read!

I'm also in the midwest, and I agree - cold showers are completely out of the question! lol It was 20 deg this morning...and for the next 4 months. Ick.

After i was about 2 months into primal and loving the tangible effects of weight loss and better skin, I began to realize the intangibles are what is important. I am getting in touch with what affects my digestive tract, my moods, my sleep patterns...all kinds of good stuff!

Hope you get well fast!
                    pbj
                    Thanks! I like your point about the intangibles - my body (other than this current crud) is so much happier now. Like Timothy said in an earlier post, it just gets better and better. I would have been okay with just the weight loss and better skin, but wow - I'll take the other benefits, too!
                    My True Primal Story

Comment

Well, I was feeling almost normal by Wednesday and completely normal by Thursday. I was surprised at how quickly it came and went - perhaps yet another benefit of living primally? Either way, I'm glad my little girl cold is gone (it's a little girl cold because that's where it came from).

I also think that it is important to realize that we can't necessarily control whether or not we get sick jut because we are trying to do the right thing and be healthy. All we can do is stay positive and take care of ourselves the best we can until it passes. And a shot of whiskey is great for a little girl cold, I have to say.

But that's over, and I made it back to CrossFit today! I really missed working out this week. Next week I will try for Tuesday, Friday, and Saturday.

I say "try" because Mr. SP's grandmother is terminally ill and about to be transferred to hospice from the assisted living care home she shares with Mr. SP's grandfather. She is a wonderful woman - she's 95 years old and though she is frail, the two of them have remained very active and alert until recently - their social calendar was busier than ours. Mr. SP's grandfather is the same age as she is, though a bit stronger, and it breaks my heart to watch him caring for his wife, knowing he will lose her soon after more than 75 years of marriage. They are an amazing couple and still so much in love. They are positive, funny, intelligent, generous and kind, and we've been so lucky to have them in our lives. So, yeah, I'll be focusing on that this week.
                      My True Primal Story

Comment

It's getting real.

I hate the WF parking lot. Those people (myself included) are the worst.
                        Last edited by SweetPickles; 01-03-2012, 11:39 AM.
                        My True Primal Story

Comment

Dear MDA,

Happy New Year! I've missed you! I hope everyone had a wonderful holiday, hopefully healthy, but if not, I hope you enjoyed every treat.

Although I have not updated in over three weeks, I'm proud and happy to report that my first primal holiday season went really well. I know that I drank much more alcohol than anyone would consider a "sensible indulgence" - but otherwise I ate pretty much primally. Mr. SP made enchiladas for my family on Christmas Eve, but he made me a special primal taco salad instead. We even made Christmas cookies and I did treat myself to a couple - one while we were decorating them and one the next morning with coffee - but it wasn't hard at all to say no to more and we gave the rest away.

I also had my birthday and chose berries and heavy cream for dessert. However, the little girls I nanny for had helped their parents make me a non-primal birthday cake (they don't know about my eating style). I had a small piece, and although I didn't enjoy it all that much, the kids' excitement over my birthday made up for any extra sugar I had to process.

I have continued to go to Crossfit about 2x per week and even did a double WOD on NYE - I showed up for the intro class by mistake and it was pretty easy, so I stayed and did the regular workout afterwards. The regular WOD culminated in an optional beer...or two or three. It was quite a party.

Other highlights of the season - Mr. SP's grandmother has made a complete turnaround! One minute the family is flying in to say goodbye, and hospice is preparing her bed, and then all of the sudden she started eating and keeping food down again! She is moving around and talkative once again. I know she has had cancer for several months that they won't treat because of her age, and I know this respite won't be forever, but it really was the best Christmas present we could ask for. She is comfortable and not in any pain.

Another highlight is that my father-in-law has decided he wants to eat "low-carb," inspired by Gary Taubes' books. He has struggled with low-carb in the past, though, and I've been talking about the primal diet with him in the hopes that it will offer him a more workable alternative than what he's tried before (i.e., keep carbs between 50-100 grams instead of an Atkins-like induction diet). We both got copies of the Make It Paleo book as presents and we plan to host them for dinner and then they'll have us over after that so we can all show off some of the recipes. I love the book and I highly recommend it.

On my birthday we went to see Jim Gaffigan in Milwaukee. We had a terrific dinner at Elsa's - I could not have asked for a better day.

I think Gay Panda mentioned in his journal awhile back something about not needing to make weight loss a resolution this year, and I feel the same way. I have continued to "shrink" (albeit slowly - thanks a lot, booze) but I know I"m on the right path and other than cutting down on my partying, I don't feel the need to add any weight-loss goals to my plans for the New Year. It's really liberating. I'm just going to keep doing what I'm doing.

I am, however, a big proponent of creating New Year's resolutions and completing them. For example, last year one of my resolutions was to listen to more Queen. Did that.

This year my goals are:

To watch all of The Wire so that hipsters quit bugging me about it.
                          To see Eugene Mirman's stand-up because I love him so.
                          To spend more time on my dissertation and less time watching Law and Order.
                          To take at least a couple of weekend trips with Mr. SP that do not involve visiting family.
                          To listen to less of John Mayer and Jack Johnson. They just won't go away, so I need to make more of an effort.
                          My True Primal Story

Comment

Sounds like an exemplary holiday. So awesome that the other people in your life are also doing well. The aura effect of a successful primal lifestyle!

Welcome back, and good luck on those tough resolutions!

Comment

Thanks Timothy! So glad you're feeling better - in time for your second child! Are you ready to take two on for an apple walk?

So, the last few days I've been really trying to tighten my lifestyle up. I'm very inspired by all the people doing Whole 30s. I hadn't really planned on doing one right now, but my Crossfit box is having a paleo challenge for six weeks starting mid-January, and I like the idea of taking part. I think I'm going to go for it - the two ways to win are 1) improve your Fran time the most or 2) have the body that visibly changes the most. I'm not sure if I have a chance at winning either, but I'm going for both! I don't know the details yet, i.e., if the challenge issued is to go completely alcohol and dairy-free, but I think I'm in a good place to give those up now. I don't know if I like the idea of giving up butter, though, especially for eggs. I know there are lots of alternatives, but I like my eggs cooked in butter. But, I'm excited to step up my game, so I'll deal.

Also, I did assisted pull-ups this week! I've been doing pull-ups with the rings - but now I can do them using a resistance band with the bar! Hooray!

It's been unusually warm in Wisconsin this week. The little girls and I have been playing outside: ring around the rosy, red light green light, duck, duck, goose, and Mr. Fox. But I'm ready to play in the snow. And to get my skates out!
                              My True Primal Story

Comment

When I started primal, I weighed about 195-200 lbs, and I was wearing a size 14/16.

These were my measurements at the beginning of November, after just two weeks of primal eating:

Weight: approximately 190, size 12/14
                                Height: 5'10"
                                Waist: 33.5"
                                Hip: 42.5"
                                Thigh: 23.5"
                                Calf: 17"
                                Feet: Fred Flintstone

And these are my measurements right now:

Weight: ?
                                Clothing size: 10/12
                                Height: 5'10"
                                Waist: 31"