Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Primal Journal (Misabi)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Cool. I started with 2 handers then started mixing in sets of one handed once I had the 100 swings under 5 mins for a week or two.

    I later read that it might be easier to start off with sets of 5 each hand instead of 10.
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

    Originally posted by tfarny
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Misabi View Post
      Cool. I started with 2 handers then started mixing in sets of one handed once I had the 100 swings under 5 mins for a week or two.

      I later read that it might be easier to start off with sets of 5 each hand instead of 10.
      I'll give the 5's a go and let you know.

      Done a session yesterday prior to me workout as it was shoulder/chest day, think the gets ups may just have pre-exhausted them, as me descending handstand push up ladder was a little bit lively....

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Dhansakdave View Post
        I'll give the 5's a go and let you know.

        Done a session yesterday prior to me workout as it was shoulder/chest day, think the gets ups may just have pre-exhausted them, as me descending handstand push up ladder was a little bit lively....
        Lol I bet
        If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

        Originally posted by tfarny
        If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

        Comment


        • Back's feeling much better and my physio reckons I should be good to get back to training next week.

          I've got an all day kb workshop booked for next Saturday, so I'll rest up this week (apart from my physio exercises obviously) just to be on the safe side. The last thing I want is to screw my back again right before the workshop.

          In other news, treated myself to a new gi as an early birthday pressie. I've got a feeling these are going to become a bit of a collectable

          http://meerkat69.blogspot.co.nz/2014...imono.html?m=1
          If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

          Originally posted by tfarny
          If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Misabi View Post
            Lol I bet
            'Hard work' don't even cover it....

            And gave the 5 left 5 right swings a go yesterday with me 20kg again, not too bad, done 10 two handed to get moving, the 5's until 50, had a breather, then got into it again, 3mins 50 odd so close to 20 seconds better than Saturday, will go up to 10's L&R next time!

            Good oh on the back, a bit of good news at least!

            Comment


            • Physio has been going well and my back's feeling much better, almost completely pain free.

              I've been given the ok to start training again at the weekend, which is handy as I've got a kettlebell workshop with a StrongFirst trainer all day on Saturday
              If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

              Originally posted by tfarny
              If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Misabi View Post
                Physio has been going well and my back's feeling much better, almost completely pain free.

                I've been given the ok to start training again at the weekend, which is handy as I've got a kettlebell workshop with a StrongFirst trainer all day on Saturday
                Thats good to hear, I'd imagine the pain from the rest of yer body will make the back a minor inconvenience after Saturday....be interested to know how it goes.

                And done the 5x10 L/R in 4 and oddsies with the 20, going to do it once more, then go up to the 24!

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Dhansakdave View Post
                  Thats good to hear, I'd imagine the pain from the rest of yer body will make the back a minor inconvenience after Saturday....be interested to know how it goes.

                  And done the 5x10 L/R in 4 and oddsies with the 20, going to do it once more, then go up to the 24!
                  Good effort DD, sounds like you're ready to start working the 24 in. Are you going to introduce it for just one set for each arm or try the whole 100 swings and just see how long it takes?

                  I know Pavel recommends when your jumping from the 24kg to the 32kg (ie. The bigger jumps in weight) add no more than 1 set of the heavier weight one set per session, but when your only stepping up from 20kg to 24kg you might be able to go straight to it.

                  Looking forward to tomorrow and going is mostly concentrating on technique rather than full on workouts having not done anything other than stretches and some ab stuff the physio prescribed for weeks.

                  Still, hit the rings tonight and could still manage 10 strict pullups, so the time off hasn't completely broke me
                  If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

                  Originally posted by tfarny
                  If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Misabi View Post
                    Good effort DD, sounds like you're ready to start working the 24 in. Are you going to introduce it for just one set for each arm or try the whole 100 swings and just see how long it takes?

                    I know Pavel recommends when your jumping from the 24kg to the 32kg (ie. The bigger jumps in weight) add no more than 1 set of the heavier weight one set per session, but when your only stepping up from 20kg to 24kg you might be able to go straight to it.

                    Looking forward to tomorrow and going is mostly concentrating on technique rather than full on workouts having not done anything other than stretches and some ab stuff the physio prescribed for weeks.

                    Still, hit the rings tonight and could still manage 10 strict pullups, so the time off hasn't completely broke me
                    I'll probably start on doubles, then work in the singles on the swings and get as many strict get ups in as I can then drop back, as you say it's only a 4kg jump!

                    Done it post work out instead of pre yesterday, a definite no go, I was shaking like a shitting dog after the 2nd set of get ups....

                    Sounds like it'll be a good day, and a smooth way back in after a your lay off instead off jumping back in both feet style, and happy days on the pull ups!

                    Comment


                    • Lol "shaking like a shitting dog" love it! I did that more than a few times yesterday, that's for sure.

                      I'll pass on one of the nuggets I learned yesterday:
                      With the get ups, instead of dropping your weight as you can already do one or more with that weight, when you get to the point that is unstable or you're getting stuck just stop and go back. Then do partial get ups to that point instead of trying to push past it in wobbly manner. You'll so find that your first reps become more solid and your sticking point moves to later in the rep/set. It's better to regress to a partial rep (or lower swing height, or even back to 2 hand or just deadlifts on swings) than to push on once you've lost perfect form.

                      I highly recommend you find a StrongFirst trainer to spend some time with working on the finger details of the swing and get up. It's one thing reading and seeing on the screen how to do it and a totally different thing to have an expert there to correct you.

                      I had 8 hrs of 1 on 1 training yesterday and maybe done close to 1000 swings, all for thesame hourly rate you'd pay for an "average" personal trainer at a globo gym.

                      As an added bonus the coach even sorted out my remaining back niggles with some pressure release techniques on my hip extensors, iliac crest and glutes, and taught me how to do it myself. My back feels better and stronger today than I can remember feeling in years.

                      I'm going back to the beginning and will be practicing swings and get ups for 30 mins a day for the next week or so to solidify and commit to muscle memory what we learned yesterday, including some hip mobility work to enable me to really get into the petting squat with correct postie and pry my hips open and some hamstring work. Then I'll get back into S&S proper
                      If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

                      Originally posted by tfarny
                      If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

                      Comment


                      • 1000 swings, holy shit with a hat on, thats mental!

                        Sounds like a full on day, and good tip on the get ups!

                        How much did it set you back, had a quick squint for a UK course and its 300+VAT, and about a 2 hour drive each way, so it's bit of a sting....

                        Saying that whatever you paid its got to be worth every penny if its sorted your back and all the other stuff out!

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Dhansakdave View Post
                          1000 swings, holy shit with a hat on, thats mental!

                          Sounds like a full on day, and good tip on the get ups!

                          How much did it set you back, had a quick squint for a UK course and its 300+VAT, and about a 2 hour drive each way, so it's bit of a sting....

                          Saying that whatever you paid its got to be worth every penny if its sorted your back and all the other stuff out!
                          Yeah i did um and ah about it for a while because I thought it was a bit pricey. It was $390 on the early bird special or $490 full price. So even at full price you're looking at around 30 quid/hr.

                          But then an average personal trainer here costs anything from that up and I haven't paid gym fees for years, so I figure it's a fair trade off.
                          If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

                          Originally posted by tfarny
                          If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

                          Comment


                          • And yes, my hamstrings are still making me pay for it

                            Bjj tonight is not going to be fun....
                            If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

                            Originally posted by tfarny
                            If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Misabi View Post
                              And yes, my hamstrings are still making me pay for it

                              Bjj tonight is not going to be fun....
                              Lol, that is a good trade, lutestrings or hamstrings.... how did BJJ work out?

                              Going by the exchange rate it's probably a bit more expensive up here, but then again most things are, still worth thinking about....

                              Thinking about not moving upto 24kg on the swings untill I can get them all in without stopping with the 20!

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Dhansakdave View Post
                                how did BJJ work out?
                                Bjj was on Tuesday night, it's Thursday morning now and the pain in the lower back is coming back a little. Will try the pressure release techniques the kb instructor showed me again today and see if that helps again.

                                Not sure if it's as a result of the bjj or if I've been over doing it with my mobility work this week. I've been stretching and working on my prying goblet squats for hip mobility during my lunch hours.

                                Originally posted by Dhansakdave View Post
                                Thinking about not moving upto 24kg on the swings untill I can get them all in without stopping with the 20!
                                Do you mean not moving up until you can do 100 swings straight, rather than in 10 sets of 10? If so, I wouldn't worry about that. As soon as you are comfortable that you can do the 10 x 10 in under 5 mins on any given day start working in a set using the 24kg.

                                Don't forget, Pavel actually recommends 24kg as the starting weight for an averagely strong man, starting with 2 handed swings then working in the 1 handed after getting really comfortable with the 2.

                                If your already doing 1 handed with the 20kg, maybe up the weight but drop back to 2 handed, you'll soon jump back up to 1 handed
                                If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

                                Originally posted by tfarny
                                If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X