No announcement yet.

Primal Journal (Misabi)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HI doublehelix, if someone gets something useful from my infrequent ramblings that's great

The muffins are so easy it's not funny and they taste great!

The following usually makes me 36 (3 trays of 12) "muffins".

Bacon 300g
    Cauliflower florets 2 - 3 cups
    Eggs 24
    Oven preheated to 175C/350F

1. Finely chop bacon and fry it off in a teaspoon or so lard or tallow at a low to medium heat. This not only cooks the bacon but releases the yummy flavourful grease too!

2. Finely chop (if you like the veggies feel free to make the pieces bigger, but my hubby doesn't like them that much, so I 'hide' them ) a couple of cups / bowl full of cauli florets, or broccoli, spinach, etc. (basically whatever's in the fridge) and then saute for a few mins in the bacon grease. My aim here isn't really to cook the veggies, but more to infuse the bacon flavour into them. You can also add any other spices or herbs you like here.

3. Next I take a few eggs, break them into a bowl and beat them (the number of eggs you need depends on how many muffins you're making/how big your muffin trays are).

4. Lightly grease/butter your muffin tray so that your muffins don't stick.
    Place a teaspoon or two of your fried mix (the less you put in the further the recipe will go) into the bottom of the muffin cup, then poor the beaten egg in to about the 2/3 mark. They will rise.

5. Whack the tray in a preheated oven for around 20 mins or until golden brown and firm in the middle. The longer you leave them in the larger then tend to rise but they get drier and tougher inside, so play around with the time and see how you like them best.

They last at least a week in an airtight container in the fridge. Enjoy!

Actually, thinking about it, I haven't made these for a while. Time to dust off the muffin trays
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Originally posted by tfarny
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

Comment

• Thought I'd resurrect my journal to keep track of my progress with on my latest training program (yes, I know I suffer from fuckarounditis ). I read Pavel Tsatsouline's Simple & Sinister kettlebell program a month or so ago and bought a 24 kg bell and started working up to doing 100 swings a day. I didn't keep track of the 1st week or two as I was basically just learning the movements, then I had a couple of weeks off due to a bad back (not kettlebell related ).

The following are my adventures so far. Overall I'm feeling much stronger and even though it's only been a couple of weeks I can feel and see my body responding. My arms and shoulders are feeling much harder and stronger. My strength seems to be increasing on almost a daily basis, but I guess that may also be due to me just getting more efficient at the movements.

02/02/14
      100 x swings @ 24kg in 5:11
      5 getups x 4kg rock in 9 something.

03/02/14
      100 x swings @ 24kg in 5:27
      5 getups ( 2 x 8kg, 3 x 16kg - bought some new kbs) in 11:12

07/02/14
      100 x swings @ 24kg in 5:10
      5 getups @ 16kg in 10:02

06/02/14
      100 x swings @ 24kg in 6:20
      5 getups @ 16kg in 10:06.

10/02/14
      100 x swings @ 24kg in 8:17 (mixed in 10 one armed swings and tried for a couple more but ended up doing one h2h instead).

5 getups @ 16kg in 9:30, then tested with the 24kg. Can press it up now but only make half the sit up

12/02/14
      100 x swings with 24kg KB (10 x 2h, 10 x 2h, 10 x 2h, 10 x 2h, 5R + 5L, 5R + 5L, 10R, 10L, 10R, 10L.
      5 get ups (1 x 24kg, 4 x 16kg)
      If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

Comment

• Some good progressions with the get ups there squire, are you doing anything else, like rows or pull/chin ups?

I've done Pavel's Enter the Kettlebell during some of my change ups which is where I first encountered get ups, and found them bloody hard work....also does he mention snatches in Simple and Sinister?

Comment

• Originally posted by Misabi View Post
          (yes, I know I suffer from fuckarounditis ).
          Ahh, ya aren't the oinly one....

That's not a book of his I am familiar with. May have to look it up. I have read a couple of his, one on kettlebells, a couple of others on stretching etc.

Good job on the swings etc... you keep that up, you'll be a right mighty beast!

Comment

• Thanks guys.

With the Simple & Sinister program, Pavel has simplified it right down to the 2 exercises that he believes gives the biggest bang for your buck. It's basically "just" 100 swings in 5 mins (basically 10 sets of 10 with 5 breaths in between each set), 1 min rest followed by 5 get ups on each side (alternating) in 10 mins (with approx 10 mins of warm up movements and post workout stretches which I do at night before I go to bed), that's it.

Do it 6 days a week, with additional rest days as required. The idea being that it's a good workout that gives good strength progression without leaving you so knackered that you can't do anything for the rest of the day or the next day. I've been laying off it on the days that I train BJJ, but to be honest I feel like I could still train on those days now too, maybe just to the KB in the morning and the BJJ in the evening.

It's a good book and a quick read, but lots of detail to re-read. I joined Audiobooks Free Trial from Audible.com Online Digital Audiobook Store for a trial and got the audio book (read by Pavel himself) for free. Have listened to it so many times now, he's quite a comedian

The book's cheap and great value for money: Books & Videos | StrongFirst

DD I still do some pull ups "grease the groove" style every couple of days, but I am considering laying off of them for a few weeks then testing again to see if they also improve without actually being trained. I'm interested in doing just this (and my bjj) as my only training as an experiment for a couple of months and then test against some of my old strength and conditioning workouts to see what affect it has. Plus obligatory progress photees I guess, or the ladies will tell me off

Comment

• I like simple, and fair play that sounds simple, might give it a go for while, once me back allows....

The book I got is quite amusing in places, will have to see what P&P is to the UK, I'm a bit of a Luddite, so old fashioned paper for me!

Worth a go with the pull up as an experiment, don't take much to add them back if you lose a bit....Wise beyond your years in keeping the ladies off your back....

Comment

• Originally posted by Dhansakdave View Post
                I like simple, and fair play that sounds simple, might give it a go for while, once me back allows....

The book I got is quite amusing in places, will have to see what P&P is to the UK, I'm a bit of a Luddite, so old fashioned paper for me!

Worth a go with the pull up as an experiment, don't take much to add them back if you lose a bit....Wise beyond your years in keeping the ladies off your back....
                Here you go, I followed the links from the StrongFirst online shop and go the shipping costs for you:

Order Shipping Calculator
                Quantity: 1

Options
                $4.88 Standard 31 business days
                $7.99 Expedited 8 business days
                $14.38 Priority 2 business days

$17.95 for the paper back.

https://www.createspace.com/Products...=SITE#content6

You sure you couldn't live with the ebook? I'm sure you can download a version to read on your PC if you're not into smart phones, ipads etc.

Amazon.com: Free Kindle Reading Apps

Actually, not sure why I've never thought of downloading that myself. Would be much easier to read and see some of the picks on my laptop that on my phone when I'm at home.

Edit: Wish I'd downloaded the kindle app for my PC sooner, it's so much better to read the ebook

Pavel's description of S&S:

Here is the S& S plan in a nutshell. There are only two moving parts, the swing and the get-up. No other exercises offer as many all-around benefits in such a tight package. “To build a superman, slow movements and quick lifts are required,” taught Bob Hoffman of York Barbell. The get-up is the ultimate slow lift; the swing is the ultimate quick lift. The Yin and the Yang, both bases covered.
                Last edited by Misabi; 02-12-2014, 01:53 PM.

Comment

• 100 swings 6:52
                  10 2hs, 10 2hs,10 x r, 10 x L, 10 X R, 10 x L, 10 X R, 10 x L, 10 X R, 10 x L.

5 gu 8:30
                  2 24kg, 3 x 16kg.

Am I rushing these? Should I be pausing after doing a rep in each side or just rolling straight onto the next rep? Will refer to the book to check.

Comment

• Sir, you're a star, book ordered, thanks.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dhansakdave View Post
                      Sir, you're a star, book ordered, thanks.
                      good on ya DD, enjoy

Comment

• Didn't time today's practice as I was concentrating on form and increasing weight, will time again once I'm comfortable with 24Kg for both 100 x 1 hand swings and 5 get ups.

100 swings
                        10 2hs, 10 x r, 10 x L, 10 2hs, 10 X R, 10 x L, 10 X R, 10 x L, 10 X R, 10 x L.

5 gu
                        5 24kg - felt a little wobbly on the way down on the last couple, but otherwise felt good. Guestimating that it took a little over the 10 minutes.

Comment

• Hopped over to Oz for a week and wasn't allowed to bring my kb's as they would apparently take up valuable shopping space in the luggage

Today I did a mix of bjj escape and position drills and primal movements (eg. Leopard crawls, monkey runs, dive bombing inch worms - not sure if I just made that one up but it's a goody ;-) ) along the beach.

Will probably go back to yayog tomorrow. Hopefully I won't fall to far back on my kb training.

Comment

• Yesterday's workout was approx 30 min walk early in the morning to do a surf check. It was flat so we ended up SUP'ing for a couple of hours followed by a 1hr 45min + bish walk through a national park (combination of sand and rocky trails.

Stupidly relied on someone else to put sunscreen on my back, which they failed to do adequately resulting in some bad sun burn from the SUP session.

Comment

• Got home late last night/early this morning. Had a great trip but really happy to be home and getting stuck back into S&S.

Also looking at combining it with S&E... I reckon they'd go well together

Comment

• 1st kb sesh in over a week, I didn't push it but it felt like I had either lost some strength or I was just out of practice.

100 x swings in 6 mins (10T, 10xT, 10xL, 10xR, 10T, 10T, 10T, 10T, 10T, 10T)
                                5 get ups in 5:40 (1x24kg, 4x16kg)

Comment

Working...
                                X