• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A grok in trainings thoughts

Name: Rachel
    Current Weight:155lbs
    Height: 5'9-5'10 I am not totally sure

Hello! I decided to start a primal journal because I keep falling off the wagon, I figured this will be a good way to track my progress and get serious about my health. I went primal because in May of this year I noticed that I had put on some 20lbs since highschool graduation. This is mostly due to an increased amounts of junk food(pop tarts, peanut butter, chips, candy bars disguised as granola bars, and fast food galore, not to mention a newfound love of dr. pepper), and a lack of exercise. I went primal not because of my weight but because of my health. I fell off the wagon big time in august and september, and felt like crap all over again. I have been on antibiotics a total of 3 times this year and I am always catching colds. After having a ton of test done, I came to the conclusion it was my diet. My skin also started to look awful, and I hated having dry worn-looking skin. I am now back on track and trying to improve my health(a little weight loss would be a nice perk too.

Day 1 of journal
    Breakfast: Scrambled eggs(cooked in coconut oil), 1 small avocado and cherry tomatoes with lemon juice and pepper, green tea
    Lunch: Raw almonds, homemade chicken and spinach soup(chicken thigh, canned tomatoes, carrots, onions, garlic, spinach, chicken stock)
    Dinner:beef patty with mushrooms, onions, and frozen asparagus spears
    Drinks: water, green tea, mint tea
    I didn't workout today, I walked around a lot on campus though. Overall today was pretty good.

Day 2
    Breakfast: carrots, avocado, cherry tomatoes, walnuts, almonds(I just didn't feel like cooking lol)
    Lunch: Beef Patties, spinach, pesto
    Dinner: Bison sirloin, asparagus with coconut oil
    snacks: I slipped up and had a cookie, and a few chunks of crytalized ginger, as well as a spoonful or two of pasta, apples, almond butter, tamari roasted nuts
    Drinks: Green tea, water
    Overall: I was stressed out today, I felt lazy and let my sugar-withdrawls get the better of me, tomorrow will be better though.

Supplements:
    Fish oil
    Calcium
    Vitamin D
    Multi-Vitamin
    NAC- supposedly a good antioxidant, I'll wait and see
    Last edited by RachelW; 10-14-2011, 12:48 AM.

Comment

Sorry I have been behind on post, it's midterm week and I am buried under work
      anyway here is day 3: 10/17/11

Breakfast: Skipped, I wasn't hungry and I was running late
      Snack: Almonds, walnuts, carrot sticks, turkey breast meat, avocado
      dinner: Spaghetti squash, pesto, beelers italian sausage(a nitrate-free, antibiotice free brand)
      Drinks: water, green tea

Supplements:
      Fish oil
      Vitamin c
      Garlic
      NAC

On a side note: I love unrefined coconut oil! I Love it so much that I eat it out of the jar with a spoon like peanut butter, sorry if that grossed anyone out, but I am a serious coconut fanatic!

Comment

Hi Rachel. It looks like you dusted yourself off and got back in the saddle nicely after day two. I recommend keeping some dark chocolate around for those sugar cravings. Cheats are going to happen, but if you can try to make sure they don't happen with grains (especially gluten grains), you will be doing yourself a big favor. BIG, HUGE, GiGANTIC favor.

Congrats on giving up the Dr. Pepper. I used to have a love affair with that stuff. I quit cold turkey three years ago. Tried a sip about a year ago, and the sweetness and overall feeling that "this is toxic and not food" just about made me sick!

Comment

Thanks for the responnse! The week has been pretty hectic due to midterms, but I am back on track now. I don't get too upset if I cheat anymore, as long as I can get back on the wagon I know it's OK. The dr pepper thing has been hard, but I realized I wasn't getting enough fat so I am going to up my intake of avocado(my new love affair) and coconut oil. I also noticed my academic performace is better when I don't come to class on a suger/caffine high.

Comment

10/20/11
            Breakfast: scrambled eggs, (cooked in coconut oil), avocado slices(yes, I eat avocado everyday)
            Lunch: Salad(salmon packs, cherry tomatoes, cucumber, olive oil, vinegar)
            Dinner:Ribeye steak, sauteed greens
            Snack: walnuts and almonds

Supplements:
            NAC
            Fish oil
            Vitamin C
            Garlic
            Vitamin d+calcium

Comment

Breakfast: scrambled eggs,Icooked in coconut oil) avocado, nitrate-free sausage
              Lunch:Fruit salad(apple,plum, grapes), almonds(I am not used to eating a big lunch)
              Dinner:Ceviche(a rare treat at my parents house)
              Drinks: Water, Green tea

Supplements:
              NAC
              Fish oil
              Vitamin C
              Garlic

Other thoughts: I figured my chronic heatburn was just hereditary, turns out it was my habit of eating peanut butter out of a jar with a spoon, I no longer do this, needless to say I no longer have heartburn.

Comment

Hi RachelW, I agree that a journal is going to help me stay accountable too. I am one of those peeps who have a hard time lying about anything so I know I will always post what I eat even if it is crap.

I wondered about eating the coconut oil by the spoon, i was tempted but didn't...I had a day when my fat intake was too low, i ate some butter instead.

sounds like your doing good, i love cheviche too, i think it is pretty primal as well. (except for maybe the clamato)
                September 2010 SW 236 lbs.
                March 2011 lowest primal weight 190
                November 2012 CW 210 (yeah, I know)
                11/16/12 206.6
                GW 140 - 160 ( we'll see when we get there)

I'm not always consistent, but I am consistently inconsistent.

"If vibrant had a sound it would be you, welcome back to life" Michael Brown (my son)

Comment

Hi, I think a journal was a great idea too, I just need to be more consistent,like write in it right after I finish dinner, because I forget my daily intake quite easily. I am glad I am not the only one who likes ceviche, I replaced the clamato juice with cherry tomatoes and lime juice btw.

Weekend recap: I decided to have just a bite of a cookie on saturday and literally turned into the cookie monster, sunday was a sugar craving nightmare and I ended up eating a whole bag of baby carrots. All in all: I need to stop thinking "just a bite" won't matter, because I clearly can't control myself. also caved into my dr. pepper craving.
                  Well anyway here is my day:

Breakfast: scrambled eggs, avocado, grapefriut
                  Lunch: Turkey breast, carrot sticks, spinach, cucumber, almonds, horseradish mustard
                  Dinner: Bison steak, mushrooms, bell peppers, garlic(all sauteed in coconut oil)

Supplements:
                  Fish oil
                  NAC
                  Vitamin C
                  Garlic

Last edited by RachelW; 10-24-2011, 06:56 PM.

Comment

Breakfast: Scrambled eggs(cooked in coconut oil), avocado, raspberries
                    Lunch:Turkey patties, sliced bell peppers, sliced cucumbers
                    Snack: almonds
                    Dinner: Nitrate-free bratwurst, brussel sprouts, onion and gaarlic all sauteed in olive oil(it was actual fresh sausage not hillshire farms pre-cooked type stuff)

Supplements:
                    NAC
                    Garlic
                    Fish oil
                    Vitamin C

Notes: I need to put more effort into working out, I need to try doing some power yoga, body weight excercises and cardio to start. I think I need to ease into it before I take up heavy lifting again. I also realized that limiting fresh friut and nuts too severely at this point is not necessary for me to lose weight. I am also starting to realize what foods trigger binges, I am just fine with a few nuts and some grapefruit, berries or an apple, but I can't control myself around nut butter or dried fruit just yet. I am also reading ingredients more carefully and looking for added sugars and avoiding them as much as possible (those are a big problem for me). Overall I am doing pretty well, but could be better.

Comment

Breakfast: Omelette with mushrooms and bell pepper(cooked in coconut oil), raspberries
                      Snack: almonds
                      Lunch: beef patty(cooked in olive oil), avocado slices, cucumber slices, bell pepper slices
                      Dinner: chicken breast sauteed in olive oil, greens simmered in vegetable stock

Supplements:
                      Multivitamin
                      Fish oil
                      Vitamin C
                      NAC
                      Garlic
                      Probiotic tablet

Ramblings/notes: I have found that having a serving of low sugar fruit has helped me control the cravings. A grapefruit, some berries or an apple a day has done wonders for me. I have also noticed that my hair is shedding less. It may be because I have layed off the dye and straightener for a while, but I think primal has something to do with it.

Comment

Hello to a fellow early-twenty something! I'm getting my graduate degree right now, but I wish I had learned about the primal lifestyle as an undergrad. I used to be so hazy in classes - it was unbelievable. I agree with you on the fact that PB has definitely improved my academic performance. Like you, I was sick a lot. Having been primal for six months, I have only been sick once - it was a stomach bug going around school, but I haven't caught any colds from my colleagues. Congrats on conquering hair dye and the straightener! I'm not sure if I'll ever conquer those things. :-)

I look forward to hearing about your progress!
                        Visit my blog Primal Homeskillet. And eat it too.

Comment

Hi! Happy to hear about your progress, and good luck with your degree! I am happy to hear I am not the only one who improved my focus after switching diets. I honestly thought I had undiagnosed ADD, but it was really just a terrible sugar high. I have not had any fall colds yet, which is good because I always get sick around halloween. I am also happy I managed to take a break from the dye and heat on my hair, I thought using the straightener twice a month was impossible at first, but I lived .

Well here is today:

Breakfast: scrambled eggs(cooked in coconut oil), cucumber slices, grapefruit, avocado
                          Lunch: brussel sprouts and sausage leftovers
                          Snack: almonds, macadamias, jerkey
                          Dinner: Steak and onions sauteed in coconut oil, steamed broccoli 1tbs steak sauce

Drinks: green tea, water

Supplements:
                          Multivitamin
                          Probiotic Pill
                          Fish oil
                          Garlic

Comment

Breakfast:Omelette, cherry tomatoes, avocado (cooked in olive oil)
                            Lunch: Skipped was not hungry
                            Snack: grapefruit, macadamias, walnuts, almonds
                            Dinner: shrimp(with blackened seasoning), ground pork patty, sauteed vegetables(onions, zuchinni, yellow squash, mushrooms, red bell pepper), everything was cooked in olive oil
                            Late night snack: Apple slices(granny smith)

Drinks: Green tea, water

Supplements:
                            NAC
                            Vitamin C
                            Garlic
                            Fish oil

WOD: Went on the elliptical for 45 mins, I tried not to let my heart rate get too high

Other stuff: overall my day was good, I ate more fruit and nuts than I had originally aimed for, but I figured I can start cutting back on those later. On a side note: my grocery store now carries grass fed beef, as well as the frozen selection of organic game meats at my local health food store, so I am making the effort to buy more clean protein. I realized if I invested half as much money in my health as I do makeup I could afford to eat grass fed and organic foods relatively easily.
                            Last edited by RachelW; 10-28-2011, 10:14 PM.

Comment

Yes another day primal an no cheats for almost a week!

Breakfast: omelette(cooked in olive oil), cherry tomatoes, avocado with an olive oil and lemon juice dressing
                              Lunch: Grapefruit and walnut salad, pork patty with dipping sauce(bragg liquid aminos, fish sauce, vinegar, and hot pepper flakes)
                              Dinner: lamb chop cooked in coconut oil and curry powder, salad made with cherry tomatoes, cucumber, yellow bell pepper, red bell pepper oil and vinegar
                              Late night snack: Granny smith apple and almond butter

Supplements:
                              NAC
                              Multivitamin
                              Vitamin C
                              Fish oil
                              Garlic

I am thinking I need more variety in my diet, but overall I am usually in the 50-100g of carbohydrate range. I figured I will be less concerned with my fruit intake over the weekends because I am usually at my parents house, and my parents love to stock their house with lots of down-home southern desserts, potato chips, and lots of bread. I figure an apple is better than apple pie.
                              At the risk of TMI, my cramps haven't been horrible, but I did put on a few pounds although my stomach looks flatter and my clothes are a bit looser.

Comment

Working...
                              X