Shanster's gone primal...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2/8/12

Looks like changes on the Forum were messing with my ability to get here! shew

30 min walk this AM with husband/dogs

B: 2 ham/egg cups, plain greek yogurt with berries, coffee and goat milk

L: left over porkchop with blue cheese, sauteed pear (1/2), brussel sprouts

D: chicken tomatillo stew with sour cream, 2 glasses wine, 2 squares chocolate

Snow/wet/cold interfering with my walk to the park and working out at lunch time. I manned up and paid a 1mos membership to my gym so I can do my workout indoors on dry, snow free, warm mats.

3x30 knee pushups (short rest at 1. 26 2. 20,26 3. 13,20,26 - concentration off being in a gym with people I guess)
    40 full squat
    10X2 close squat
    30x2 knee tuck
    1.10 x 2 forearm plank
    40 seconds x 2 side forearm plank - each side
    25x2 bridge
    20 secondsx2 dolphin - think I'm ready to go up against a wall but would prefer a spotter and will do that at home with husband!
    We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. - Oscar Wilde

Comment

• 2/9/12

30 min walk with husband/dogs

B: 3 slices bacon, 2 eggs with mushrooms, spinach, avocado, plain greek yogurt with berries, coffee and goat milk

L: big salad with lots of toppings (carrots, cabbage, celery, avocado, red pepper, mushrooms, broccoli) and part of a cut up chicken breast and 1/4 C walnut pieces

Got home after swimming and was starving - had a banana.

D: Rock Bottom Brewery to meet my Mom and Step-dad for dinner... had one beer, 11oz sirloin and double veggies - which of course included a pile of green beans. Sigh. 2 chocolate squares when I got home... had been craving my chocolate all day.

Swim sprint day - getting stronger in the pool but it still kicks my cardio ass!!! Like the fluidity and all over use of body in a different way - think it's a good compliment to the body weight stuff.

Wish I could find a swim cap that really worked to keep my hair dry tho'.... sigh.

Plus side tho' we stopped at Levi's factory outlet store and I'm fitting into size 10... from size 14 then down to size 12 and now to a 10... that feels awful nice!
      Last edited by Shanster; 02-10-2012, 08:42 AM.
      We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. - Oscar Wilde

Comment

• 2/10/12

30 min walk with dogs/husband

B: 3 slices bacon, 2 eggs - we are out of spinach! *gasp* Plain greek yogurt with berries - coffee and goat milk

Comment

• 2/16/12

Went to the primal seminar in Boulder on Monday... was ok. 1.5 hr drive to and from Boulder then 3 hrs of being in a small conference room with strangers... shrug. Presentation was fine - mostly went over all the info from the books... was a good verbal confirmation of what we are doing but nothing really new or in depth.

Been reading more blogs/sites about strength training etc.

Guess what I'm gleaning is to pick a program and stick with it... consistancy and intensity are key... mix it up a little and don't get too stagnant or same ol' same ol' - gots to keep your body on it's toes.

Guess that is nothing mind blowing but since there is so much info out there, it can get confusing and a little *oooo! THERE is a shiny thing... wait! no, over HERE is a new, shiny thing.... crap! look over there! It's another shiny thing!*

Using crono-meter.com to enter food/exercise....want to track things for a little while... hard since I don't measure my food! Maybe I will start to get an accurate pix of what I'm taking in for a little while.....

Comment

• 4/4/12

Been off the forums lately - but still reading lots of good information! Strength programming by Mark Rippetoe... Never Let Go by Dan John.... watching kettlebell workouts via Pavel...began Convict Conditioning in December or January.... trying some unconventional workouts with tractor tires - sledgehammers - sand filled duffel bags - trying to get STRONG!

Dunno why the unconventional stuff clicks with me but it does...

Some new good sites I've seen are:
            Stumptuous - stumptuous.com

Training for Warriors - Training for Warriors |

Gyms Gone Galt - Gyms Gone Galt

My Mad Methods - My Mad Methods - MyMadMethods.com | Unconventional Fitness Training, Kettlebell Training, Sandbag Training

Just got my cholesterol results:

THEN:
            Total cholesterol: 224
            Triglycerides: 108
            HDL: 61
            LDL: 141

NOW and fully primal since October 2011 baby:
            Total cholesterol: 205 (down 19)
            LDL: 126 (down 15)
            HDL: 74 (up 13)
            Triglycerides: 58 (down 50)

I requested the fractionated test for the large fluffy LDL vs. small dense LDL but still looking at it and figuring out the report... overall MUCH better eh?

Now if you will excuse me, it's time to walk to the park and knock out a workout Convict Conditioning style! grin

Comment

• Originally posted by Shanster View Post
              4/4/12

Dunno why the unconventional stuff clicks with me but it does...
              I know for me, it is because the unconventional stuff is NOT boring. Regular popular 'workouts' just get so mind numbingly (<--is that a word?) boring!

Keep up the great work.

Comment

• Gulp - Crossfit anyone?

I've been doing the Convict Conditioning... reading stuff as I said in a previous post. Feeling more and more like I need a program - something a little more organized to get me stronger.

I went to a crossfit demo... I admit I had preconceived notions. That people would be in your face yelling, demanding more and I am simply unwilling to encourage that behavior... nor does that motivate me. The in your face stuff has the opposite effect on me... I will quit.

And you hear the horror stories of people breaking bones, tearing ligaments, hurting themselves to be "bad ass". I don't want to risk injury and having down time due to recovery. I don't want to make breaks in my progress because I went WAY too far, too fast.

So I went to this demo... but there were people like me there. No one screaming, no one in anyone's face. Everyone working at their own intensity level. Yes, there were people in obviously GREAT shape but there were also beginners trying. Everyone was working hard - but all within their own level of hard.

I asked questions, met the coach, asked more questions.

It looks a lot like what I've been doing with Convict - the high intensity, bodyweight movements with some olympic lifts thrown in. I want to learn the olympic lifts because much of what I read says you need to lift heavy to progress and build strength. I know Rippetoe's book is great and there are many YouTubes, however, I want to learn the oly lifts with someone's feedback. The crossfit place has a guy who competed in oly lifts and is certified level 2... so....

My husband and I are going tomorrow for the first time 6am. I'm excited. Scared as it's unknown and it's a change - change is always hard, tho' I'm really looking forward to my improved strength by working harder and learning more.

And I would NEVER have thought this kind of stuff would be coming out of MY mouth... never, ever in a million, ga-zillion years. Tho I have to say I feel the best I ever have in my whole little life.

Yay primal!

Comment

Working...
                X