No announcement yet.

Primal Journal: Phreebie rocks the Grok PB

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blood gets drawn tomorrow. I've been feeling that I have been struggling with my LHTs for a while, and I think there are a few reasons/excuses for this, that I'm not entirely happy about. I have been following the exercises and progressions in the PBF ebook, and all went quite well until I hit level 4, which are the essential primal movements. I can do them all ok, struggle a little with the pull ups, but am finding it difficult to increase my rep counts. The rep counts aren't shabby, but they aren't where I want them either.

Over the last few days I have been reading convict conditioning 1 & 2, and I have to say that these books "speak to me" about exercise in the way that the Primal Blueprint "speaks to me" about diet.

Even though I think the biggest obstacle to dieters & exercisers in general is the continual switching in the quest for better results, rather than sticking at something after the novelty wears off, I am going to change to the CC program.

I am going to start it at the beginning, which will mean taking "a step backwards" in terms of level & rep count, but I figure that if I stick at it long enough and follow the plan and actually do it, I will be taking a big step forward.

The guts of the exercises are essentially the same, greatest difference really is that rather than increasing the rep counts as you go through, the exercises change slightly to get incrementally harder, and the difference between beginner and prgress reps is not as large. There are six exercises instead of 5.

Yesterday I did the level 1 dynamic stretches

Today I did the level 1 dynamic stretches and day 1 of the good behaviour program at level 1

On the designated 'off' days for training, I will still do the dynamic stretching - should be good for martial arts.
    Last edited by phreebie; 12-04-2011, 03:22 AM.
    Live. Grow. Flourish.

My Journal/story is at http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread38948.html

Comment

So today I had the bloods done. Lab was hella busy - so busy they had actually taken the chairs from the staff break room and put them out in the waiting room. The fasting thing didn't worry me too much, and I had a nice sleep in till around 8 a leisurely shower and ambled in to town. The lab is right across the road from the scene of a shooting that made the national news on Saturday - right outside the Police station. Eek.

Got the bloods taken, ran some errands, dropped off the recycle and came home to get busy cleaning the place up since we are expecting to get new windows installed tomorrow. Had to stop half way through to erect some more chicken barricading since they are great escapers.

Got most of the place cleared up enough so people can come and work in each room and they called to postpone since the forecast is dodgy.

Two nights ago DW told me she thought she might like to give the PB a go. Woohooo, I'm sure it will be great for her, although I haven't been pushing it, just doing it and showing the results (She's the trooper with the tape measure & calipers every month).

I did my dynamic stretches today from CC2, then sat on the couch and counted reps for DW as she did her p90x (she does the exercises without the video)

We both went to Karate class which was aq really good class, then stopped by the supermarket on the way home.

I picked up: ox heart, sheep kidney, pigs kidney, and calf liver to have with bacon for lunch tomorrow. Regardless of how PB she might go I'm sure DW will NEVER eat organ meat.

I also picked up a 12 pack of Stella Artois - Hey it might be grain based but at least it has been fermented - right?
      Live. Grow. Flourish.

Comment

That's so awful about the shooting - I wondered how close you were to it. I guess everyone is close in such a small town, though.

Excellent news about your wife!!
        Started Feb 18 2011

Tried basic primal and almost everything else in pursuit of IBS control, mood stability, and weight loss.

Journalling here

Comment

Yes, we don't know anybody involved, but a good friend of ours knows the victim and the kids at karate go to school with the victim's kids.

Too close to home.

Originally posted by Jac View Post
          That's so awful about the shooting - I wondered how close you were to it. I guess everyone is close in such a small town, though.

Excellent news about your wife!!
          Live. Grow. Flourish.

Comment

A few small bites of celery for breakfast - simply because it was what I spotted when I opened the fridge.

All chickens mustered present & correct.

Did my stretches and my vertical pulls/shoulder stand squats I just have to remember Pole pole for this program - it seems too easy at the beginner stages - going from 2 sets of 35 push ups on the PB plan to wall pushes on this one and some months to go before getting to full push ups again. I really hope I'm not losing too much ground doing it this way, but the book specifically addresses this point, though it is difficult not to have doubts.

I guess I just have to put my faith into the ex-con lol. I may have to get my MIL to send me one those orange T shirts like she has: "Angola - Louisiana's first gated community." It would be good for the workouts.

Bacon & eggs for lunch today I think.
            Live. Grow. Flourish.

Comment

Some stuff that originally inspired me, and keeps doing so. Posting them here to remind me to visit them.

Links from MDA real life stories:

When Eating Healthy is Making You Fat! | Mark's Daily Apple - similar age, simialr start point - great results

The Unconquerable Dave | Mark's Daily Apple - unconquerable-dave 'nuff said

Interwebs stuffz:

Tough Mudder Training - YouTube
              Live. Grow. Flourish.

Comment

Originally posted by phreebie View Post
                I may have to get my MIL to send me one those orange T shirts like she has: "Angola - Louisiana's first gated community." It would be good for the workouts.
                Ahahahahhaha--I've never seen that one! I live in TX so it's always good to brush up on jokes about Louisiana (we Texans especially love a good Oklahoman joke). I haven't checked out the CC stuff yet, but I have a feeling I'm working out like that already. I walk to and from work everyday so it feels like walking the yard everyday because everything's the same! Then a few times a week I do exercises within a cell-sized space in my living room, yeesh. Must. Stop. Thinking. Of. Apartment. As. Prison.

Anyway, it's good you found something that "speaks" to you. I love that feeling! It's like finally seeing the picture in the Magic Eye after you've been staring at it for 20 minutes! Good luck continuing on your journey and I'm definitely jealous that you Southern Hemispherans are enjoying the spring just about now.
                "There is a cruelty in life which we must accept with stoicism as the inevitable." -Mizora

Comment

Thanks Zoltankemeny, and welcome to my little collection of ramblings. Louisianians are able to laugh at themselves, so it's all good there.

A good day today, slept in late, missed the recycle collection, not too big of a deal there. Skipped breakfast and ran some errands in town. Fish & chips for lunch. Got DW a new smart phone, since her phone was positively ancient. She seems pretty happy with it.

Knocked out 5 pullups.

Did the level 1 stretches & 10 a side sidekick stretches.

Had a pretty intense workout at karate tonight, and got to work on roundhouse kicks like a boss.

saw this inspirational quote today too:

No coach ever won a game by what he knows. It’s what his players learned.
                  Paul “Bear” Bryant

I also read something today attributed to a mentor of Pavel Tsatsouline :

Consistency and moderation over intensity.
                  Dr. Jim Wright

That article gives me comfort that my new workout program is the right path to take.
                  Live. Grow. Flourish.

Comment

The start of the work week for me, and we start with a 12 hour night shift. Yay!

Today's scale weight has jumped significantly. Beer & fish & chips will do that I guess, I expect it will be back where it needs to be in a couple of days.

It's brilliantly sunny today, and I just spent 20 minutes out on the back porch, shirtless, grooming the dog. With the change of seasons he is shedding like a mofo. Gave some food scraps to the chickens - they are so funny to watch.

I'm really enjoying the CC program, and so today was:

Level 1 stretches - 30 sec

Side kick stretches - 10 a side

Short bridges - warm 2 x 5, work 15/15
                    Headstand - warm 10 sec, work 30 sec

Then DW, who is a black belt in karate, and a brown belt in two other martial arts, helped me go over the roundhouse stuff I covered in class last night.

Breakfast was a handful of cold offal
                    Lunch will be steamed mussels and a salad from the garden
                    Dinner will be slow cooker lamb curry that will cook while I have a nap before work.
                    Then it will be eat and go.

I noticed the oregano was getting a bit overgrown, so have trimmed it back and have some drying in the oven.

Today is a great day.
                    Live. Grow. Flourish.

Comment

Had an eventful night shift with a lot of plant issues affecting operations. Got home and went directly to bed and was out by the time my head hit the pillow. During the night I had a couple of apples, some HB eggs and some almonds as well as a couple cups of coffee and a hot chocolate.

Slept all day, then went out for dinner with the harem. I had a sirloin steak and veg then had to go directly to work. The scales are back in the region of where they should be again too.

At work I got in my CC2 level 1 stretches. Tomorrow will be hill sprints, and the next day push ups and leg raises. I mentioned a while back that DW had said that my arms had been getting smaller, even with this very slow start on the CC program, I feel like that is being addressed.
                      Live. Grow. Flourish.

Comment

Rest day

Sprints - 1 x walk around park out back
                        2 x Jog around park
                        6 x sprint up small hill - Brian's liquid amber to twin camellias

with the dog

Got a letter today - the Dr wants to see me to talk about the bloods, I guess it will be about the cholesterol numbers. I doubt that they will be high enough for her to want me on statins, but I'm sure I'll get 'the talk'.

Oh well, I suppose I'd best go see her on Tuesday. Le sigh.
                        Live. Grow. Flourish.

Comment

It was a long week at work, the whole process was in a state of flux, and while I was able to get it settled down, despite a lack of most of the crucial raw materials, I was still being second guessed by everyone who thought they had input to give. Unfortunately they can advise as much as they like, and I do I like to take good advice on board, but whether the advice is right or wrong, they can continue on their way, while I'm the one who must carry the can. I do often seek the counsel of these people, but yesterday I needed to remain resolutely on my own path, and I made that clear. Hopefully I was blunt enough without being nasty. We shall see.

The guys came to start fitting the new windows today, so there was no post shift week sleep-in to be had, I was up early to clear away junk and remove curtain rails etc. They have another day of it tomorrow too, so still no sleep-in on the horizon. I will shoot for an early night tonight.

Today was the day to see the Dr again re my blood test results, however when I got to the surgery, there was a power cut. Did you know that modern drs can't practice medicine without electricity? Apparently the lab only sends results via emeail, and all patient records are computerised. The Doc had no clue who I was, or why I was even there, despite sending the letter asking to see me. The receptionist could not rebook me without her PC but promised to call me at home and confirm a new appt when the power came back on. I wrote my name and number down on a piece of paper for them - how old fashioned. Anyway, I go back there tomorrow morning.

So yesterday was a scheduled rest day re exercising, and with all going on I didn't even get my stretches in.

Today I did level 2 stretches for 15 secs and the vertical pulls and shoulder stand squats. I made the progression standard fairly easily for the pulls, but will stay on this level for the rest of the month, only really 2 more times of that exercise. I beat the intermediate level on the squats, and need to hit progression level on the next work out, as the plan is to get to progression level on the third week, and repeat it on week 4 before moving on in week 5.

Foodwise things have been a good 80/20.
                          Last edited by phreebie; 12-15-2011, 02:42 PM.
                          Live. Grow. Flourish.

Comment

I was at Auckland Uni when the powercut hit - they closed the whole School of Nursing after the first hour and everyone went home!! Before that, a couple of people were starting to use pens and paper, and one person even went to sit by the window and read an actual book!! A week without electricity and our whole country (world?) would just fall apart. Be a good primal holiday, though - lots of kiwis would just do the camping out thing, but I think there are a large number of sad characters who wouldn't be able to cope at all. Most of them live in Auckland
                            Started Feb 18 2011

Tried basic primal and almost everything else in pursuit of IBS control, mood stability, and weight loss.

Journalling here

Comment

Yes, I guess the real tragedy in Auckland would be that most of the latte machines would be offline.

Went back to the Dr today to find out why they wanted to see me. I LMAO all the way home again. Turns out the PSA result was excellent, the total cholesterol was only just over the limit for 'normal' and was of no concern to her at all. For some reason they also gave me a driver's medical too and it seems that was a 'cock up' (said in the best eastern european accent).

It turns out that the reason they wanted to see me is that my Haemoglobin count is slightly low, which may indicate me being slightly anemic. This means I need to eat more red meat, eggs and veg before another test in 8 weeks time.

I had been dead worried it was cholesterol and thatt I was going to get the spiel about cutting back on eggs, red meat and dairy. LMAO all the way home. Extra half a steak with dinner tonight and some spinach fresh from the garden, along with the usual day's 4 or so eggs.

Blood pressure was 120/60 - I was like - "yeah this is a comfy chair, and I'm feeling relaxed".

Harvested a bunch of red onions and pulled a whole lot of weeds.

Rest day for the convict today, but had a Karate class and did stretches there - the CC2 stretches seem to be really helping with the karate stretches.

Windows are all in, some finishing work still needs to be done - next week for that.

Today was a fantastic day.
                              Live. Grow. Flourish.

Comment

Last night's dinner was 1.5 pieces of steak and veg, including silverbeet.

Breakfast this morning was the remaining .5 piece of steak.

Today's conditioning was:

Short bridges - warm 2 x 10, work 30/30/30
                                Headstand - warm 0 sec, work 60 sec

Level 2 dynamic stretches - 20 secs

Side kick stretches 15 a side

Chickens fed, eggs collected, and plumber despatched for new fittings for the toilet tank.

When DW is suitably attired and made up we will head to the Tron for Xmas shopping.

Today will be another great day.
                                Live. Grow. Flourish.

Comment

Working...
                                X