No announcement yet.

Primal Journal: Phreebie rocks the Grok PB

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Palais du poulet now has 4 happy occupants, and I have been somewhat of a nervous parent, constantly checking on their water consumption to make sure the water supply doesn't run out. No doubt it will work itself out and the routine of neglect will establish itself (j/k). Another cool thing about having chickens is when there are a bunch of corn kernels on the plate, it's convenient to keep them to one side 'as a treat for the chooks' :-)

1st night shift last night and food went well. Slept soundly after work, and refreshed for the 2nd night shift. Had beef stew and mixed veg for dinner both nights. Had 1/2 a can of mixed berries and a small pot of Greek Yoghurt for dessert. The berries were unfortunately in syrup, maybe I will try frozen ones next time. I've never been much of a fan of yoghurts or cream cheeses etc, much less Greek yoghurt but thought I,d experiment with a couple of pots. I tried making sludge with the 1st pot, but didn't,t use nearly enough pb, and didn't really get the impression that more pb would have made it better.

Really looking forward to getting my own eggs, the chickens are young pullets and won't be ready to lay for another month or so.

It's rugby world cup final tonight and I think I'll have a few beers while I watch the game, not too many mind, since I have work at 8a the next day. Maybe I'll get some oysters or mussels for a snack too.

Health-wise I've definitely noticed that the acne on my face is much improved, which at 41 yo is none too soon. The acne on my back however is getting pretty crappy. I also don't seem to be suffering anywhere near as much as I usually do at this time of year with hayfever or seasonal rhinitus (sp?), but this sinus drama I had last week really sucked! It is still pretty early in our hayfever season though.

With regards to these issues I'm beginning to seriously consider some supplementation. I think during my days off this week I'll get some vit D and some zinc tabs. The vit d might help with the sun exposure over summer too, since I love being outdoors at that time of year.
    Live. Grow. Flourish.

My Journal/story is at http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread38948.html

Comment

This could take a while....

In High school, I was the short fat chunky kid with the bad haircut. After I left high school and went to college I became the tall skinny kid with the bad acne. I didn't really worry about nutrition at all, I ate a lot of junk, but I only ate intermittently. At one place I boarded I was skinny enough that the people there nick named me 'Bones'. That was ok, I'd certainly been called a lot worse at High School.

In my mid 20s I was doing ok, I had a fairly physical job that included mixing clays and powders into coating formulations. I would lift 25kg bags off a pallet, onto the edge of a disperser, slit the bag and dump in the contents. This would see me shift easily 3 metric tonnes in an 8 hour shift, and on a really busy day, over 10. When not doing that I would be man handling 200 litre drums of chemicals around the place. I'd lift the bags in each hand between thumb and first two fingers. I had a pretty impressive grip strength. My legs were ok, but I had a pretty good wheat/beer belly going on too.

I was in the Navy Reserve, and despite what I was doing at work, my performance in the standardised fitness tests was pretty poor. My press ups sucked and I really struggled in the run tests, often requiring do overs. I decided I needed to do something about this, I tried doing the usual sign up for 3 months at the gym and go along for 1 month, I tried the daily jogging routine which would be lucky to last a week, before becoming the three day a week jogging routine, which would then become the couch routine.

Then I found a book that really inspired me! It was 'The Royal Marines circuit training:
      the all-round commando fitness programme' by Robin Eggar, Dieter Loraine.

It's based on the fitness training element of their boot camp.

Anyone that knows much about the armed forces of the world knows that the Royal Marine Commandoes are hard bastards and well fit. The guy on the front cover looked like the shape I wanted to get into, and clearly the routines would assist with the fitness testing of the navy. The plan looked pretty doable and there was a section in there on nutrition with a large emphasis on not restricting calories but more on consuming the 'right' kinds of food. I decided that the best thing to do was to clean up my diet first, there were plenty of reccomendations and a suggested menu for day 1 goes a little like this:

B: 2 weetabix with semi-skimmed milk, tsp of sugar/sweetener, 2 slices wholemeal toast, with margarine & marmalade, an apple or bannana

L: Baked potato with canned tuna and cheese filling, salad without mayo, fresh fruit

D: Spaghetti Bolognese (lean mince), low fat ice cream and fruit.

This was great, just what I needed, I went all out for this diet, filled my pantry with potatoes, pasta and pulses, changed from raw milk to skimmed, and I was sure that as I progressed past the first couple of easy lead-in weeks of exercise, the weight would be falling off, the load on my joints would be easing up and I would be getting ripped.

Around this time Atkins hit the big time, and I joined all the CW knockers. How could it be right? I had the wisdom of hundreds of years of tradition of the British Armed Forces on my side. Carbs are where it's at, but so-called 'carb-loading' is dangerous. This became my nutritional wisdom from then on. I got slower, fatter, changed to a desk job and blew up.

Every time I would decide that I was too lazy, cheated too often, or was just plain meant to be fat. Over the years I would reach for that book from time to time with the thought that this time it would work and I would sustain it. Yeah right.

Around my birthday this year (15 years later), I reached for the book again. Go Me!! I had been reading enough around the place to question the nutrition advice, but the circuit exercises were all good ones. My wife had had great results late last year doing the CW chronic cardio and bodyrock programs, so I decided to do the couch to 5k. Chronic cardio here I come!

This time it was going to be different! I was going to stick at it, and I was going to use all of my google fu to help me. I did it! I stuck to the program and completed the couch to 5k program on the schedule I set for myself. I lost a little bit of weight and I felt great! After all of these years of on and off flirtation with the marines program I was getting bored with the circuit program, and would often stall at the same week/circuit. So I decided to google up some additional body weight exercises I could incorporate. I had also gotten bored with the 30 min jog 3 times a week routine, particularly when they closed my forest trail for logging operations for two months

Enter the PB Fitness ebook. Free! The price I like to pay. I felt a bit like Alice tumbling down the rabbit hole. I decided to take the red pill, stay in wonderland and see how far this rabbit hole goes. I got the PB book and signed up to a bunch of primal RSS feeds and read every day.

I started primal in 1 Jul 2011, weighing 88 kg, and looking like this:

This was after about 10 weeks of running 3 times a week, and eating a 'good CW diet'. I actually felt quite good about it, and was ok with the idea of a long slow consistent weight loss from that point on.

Today, 15 weeks later I'm 80.7kg, have dropped 2cm around the neck and hips, 4cm around the chest and 5cm around the waist. Looking like this:

Still have a long way to go, and still feel motivated and like it's definitely going to happen. Sure, I had pizza for lunch today, and I got a six of beer to watch the Rugby World up final tonight. Last year it would have been a case.

Last week both my barber and a supervisor from another work area remarked on my weight loss.

Thanks Mark, and everyone here at MDA.

GO THE ALL BLACKS!!

Above: All black Sonny Bill Williams created a stir with female fans when his shirt got torn during play in the early stages of the world cup.
      Last edited by phreebie; 10-22-2011, 11:09 PM.
      Live. Grow. Flourish.

Comment

You mentioned your sinus trouble a few posts back. This may not be what caused yours, but I discovered that eating corn will cause my sinuses to slam shut.
        Pay attention next time to see if it is a food reaction causing it.

BTW, you are really making progress!! Way to go!
        Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Thanks Honeybuns, I will def keep an eye on the corn in future!

Well, we won the rugby world cup, whoop whoop! I did have the beers, and for my game snacks I had green lipped mussels and some pork skins.

I started with the Vit D3 supplements today too. The only one I found at the market was an O-3 fish oil/D3 combo, so that can'tbe too bad either. Eventhough i's a holiday weekend I had to work, but managed to get about 20 mins outside just sitting quietly in the sun.

B 1 HB egg, some greek yoghurt & a handful of berries
          L The usual workday can of salmon and a big assed bowl of veg
          snacks: Almonds, 2 apples and 2 HB eggs
          D Bunless burger x 2 and a few oven baked fries

Still using the stand up desk at home too BTW, enjoy it.
          Live. Grow. Flourish.

Comment

Wow, what a day!

I still haven't done an LHT for a while. Today was my first day off work, and we got our first (very tiny) egg from the primal chickens! Whoop whoop!

Wifey and I took the mutt for a walk in the forest and I again carried around my big heavy branch in the left hand. I had stashed it by the start of the trail, kinda like pirate booty.

I had bought about a pound each of Bacon bits, Sheep kidney and lamb liver. I have just lightly fried the whole lot in beef lard without seasoning and it is draining as we speak. Of course I have already trialled some and it is great!!

OmNom Nommage!!

Other than the tasting of the afore mentioned fry up, today's eating was a few slices of quiche and a small dark chocolate bar at lunch.

The Vit D supplementation is going well too.
            Live. Grow. Flourish.

Comment

OMG - 10 points for the Sonny-Bill photo . But more for your progress pics!! Very cool to see that much change going on.

What part of NZ are you in? I'm in Pirongia - about 1/2 hour from Hamilton.
              Started Feb 18 2011

Tried basic primal and almost everything else in pursuit of IBS control, mood stability, and weight loss.

Journalling here

Comment

I'm in Tokoroa.
                Live. Grow. Flourish.

Comment

Originally posted by phreebie View Post
                  I'm in Tokoroa.
                  Ha, practically neighbours!! That explains the cool forest to run in, too.
                  Started Feb 18 2011

Tried basic primal and almost everything else in pursuit of IBS control, mood stability, and weight loss.

Journalling here

Comment

Oh, and Jac, thanks for the nice comment on the progress pics

Seems like the weight I was on the couple of days around the time the last one was taken was a momentary low. I've been mostly good with my diet, although last night was dinner out with beers, and I haven't been doing LHTs, though I've been doing 'stuff' and keeping fairly busy.

My latest excuse is exams, and my last one is on Wednesday, so that will be an end to that excuse. Prior to exam time I was feeling really awful. Today I busted out a few incline push ups to grease the groove, but it really didn't qualify as anything near an LHT.

This exam is going to be a real bugbear, since it's an elective topic outside my usual field and I had to do it via distance ed.

Had fresh eggs from the chickens for lunch today
                    Last edited by phreebie; 11-04-2011, 09:23 PM.
                    Live. Grow. Flourish.

Comment

Had my uni exam today, talk about a day of stress. But that's ok, all going well I can take a break from studies for a short time and 1 less excuse I have.

Tonight I had karate class. I have gained a kg since I posted my last picture, and the female sensei who has been commenting on my weight loss, seemed tonight to be very worried that I was losing too much weight and was trying to get me to promise not to lose any more.

I was kinda like WTF?

It honestly wouldn't worry me if I didn't lose any more weight, I'm really after a change in body comp, and I'm fairly certain that to achieve that I will end up leaning out more.

She was beginning to worry that I had some kind of ED, and I'm like "No way - I like eating animal fat "

I'm putting it down to CW people not being used to seeing such dramatic and seemingly sustainable weight loss without some kind of ED present?

I will take it as further motivation to do the LHTs since I really don't want to look like a skinny anemic dude, and yes I'd rather look like a sprinter than a marathon runner.

Been getting a bit of sunshine time in lately too.
                      Live. Grow. Flourish.

Comment

The diet has been going really well. I'm not sure if it's coincidence or not, but each time I go into ketosis (as evidenced by that taste in my mouth and a sudden weight loss) I seem to suffer terribly with sinus trouble. I don't know whether it is seasonal (spring time here - and this is the first year in a long time I haven't suffered major sneezing fits), some sniffle bug that passes round at work, or whether it is somehow related to my diet. It eally leaves me feeling like crap. When that kicked in, I upped my D3 intake. If it was some kind of cold/bug it didn't last that long ( a couple of days) but it sure had me feeling miserable.

I did an LHT yesterday, and managed close to the same results that I had when I last did them, except for my front plank - that sucked big time.
                        Since then I've been working on greasing the groove with 1 x 5 push ups. Next week's groove will be pull-ups, I need to master those bastards.

The primal chooks are excellent, we are currently getting 3 eggs a a day from the four of the ladies, and the eggs are getting to be a decent size. Too bad that any sane financial model would still value the eggs at around $50 per LOL.

Just being out in the pen and watching them is priceless though

Just yesterday at work, I got an email from a colleague with a few acres who is looking to offload home raised grass fed ground beef and sausages at a good price. My guess is that he kept all of the prime cuts and a few of the extras and is running out of freezer space. I don't mind that

Then a couple of guys asked if I'd be keen to join them on a motorcycle run. I'm always keen for that so asked where they were headed to. I didn't really need any more convincing when I found out it was here: Welcome to Pokeno Bacon then on to here: Lighthouse at Manukau Heads - Franklin Country and home. Sounds like a good day out to me.

The forest track is closed again, boo hiss. While we're on bad news, I still haven't kicked the diet coke

Martial arts is getting a little frustrating at times. I'm feeling close to testing for my next belt at karate, but then something inevitably happens and I lose confidence in my kata again.

The garden is coming along great, lots of lettuce ready and the cauli and brocs are doing well. Lots of jobs outdoors to tackle at this time of year, still I'm really starting to feel like I need a day away fishing The motorcycle ride should help on the de-stress front anyway.
                        Live. Grow. Flourish.

Comment

Food is still going great, mostly primal, although tonight I had rice with veg & pork for dinner, but not too upset over that. I had some dark chocolate for dessert, which was good. A couple of cold left over home-kill sausages for brekksta. 3 scrambled eggs for lunch and a bowl of acidophilus yoghurt and berries just before karate class. Been drinking water or green tea instead of diet coke today - w00t!!

Went for a primal motorcycle ride today. The rest of the lads baled out citing dodgy looking weather and a good chance of rain. We were already in the motorcycling mindset and decided to go for a short pootle anyhow.

Off to Tirau, then Okoroire to Morrinsville, Tahuna, Ohinewai, Cambridge and home. Not bad for a short scoot, and very primal lolz.

This morning one of the chooks decided to jailbreak and go visit the chooks at the neighbours a couple of houses down. Those neighbours were savvy though and kept her on remand until I arranged for extradition back to our place. Rate she's going she'll be lucky to dodge the gas (grill) chamber...

Karate class was good, with enough progress and some good feedback to keep the frustration at bay for the time being.

Tomorrow's meal plan involves a spatchcock chicken - but not the previously fugitive one.
                          Live. Grow. Flourish.

Comment

Took some measurements today. The scale had been indicating that for the last month or so I have been on a plateau, and that the 80.3 kg (177 lb) that I saw on my last measurement day was a fluke, and my average is more like 81.5kg plus or minus 0.5kg.

Well if the tape measure and rather cheap inaccurate calipers are to be believed, then the reason for it is that I have gained 1.6kg (3.5 lb) of lean mass and lost 1.2 kg (2.6lb) of fat.

I've put a centimetre on my chest and lost it from my waist.

I was expecting good things from the measure session, since I have had that ketosis taste in my mouth for much of the last two weeks.

I'm really happy with the BF result.
                            Live. Grow. Flourish.

Comment

Have just now taken delivery of 15kg of home-grown, grass fed, South Waikato, New Zealand BEEF! None of the prime cuts, but I'm good with that. $2 a kg cheaper than the stupidmarket price and delivered to my door.

Neener neener

Live. Grow. Flourish.

Comment

Ok, so night shifts over for another week. YAY! 24 hour break day today, and being Friday it's dinner out with my harem

On waking today the scale has dipped under the 80kg mark.

After a quick nap from 9a to noonish it was a quick shower and then "Doctor visit time". I don't much enjoy going there, the waiting room puts me in mind of Gay Panda's shopping trolleys and ATM machines to the power of 512.

Anyway, since I have been more active lately, I have been experiencing a flare up of an old, old knee injury, and for the first time in the last 20 years, I could actually see and feel a large hard lump where the pain is coming from. Maybe prior to this it was buried in a nice layer of fat?

Since Dad has had to have his his prostate removed in the last few months, the family has been bugging me to get a check up.

So it was time. Let's do this. I was expecting that this would involve a PSA blood test.

New lady doctor that I've never met before, ok.

Explain the bit about t5he knee flare ups and roll up the pants leg. Instantly she spots the lump and whacks it. This lady has frikken HUGE hands, and she gives it a wee bash around. Says "Yup that's bone, and that's ligament swelling - old injury aggravation - harden up, get some anti-flam gel/cream if you must and carry on. Sweet as. I can deal with that. She is Eastern European, and in my mind I am replaying the scene with Arnold Schwarzenegger saying "It's not a toomah!"

Next we talk about the bloods. After tapping on her keyboard a few times she says "Yes it's probably time to do some blood work, you've been coming to this practice since 2008 and we have never done any"

So I get to do a fairly full suite of fasted bloods:

Liver/enzymes - liver group
                                Renal - electrolytes
                                renal - Creatinine
                                diabetes - glucose
                                lipids - lipid group - fasting
                                prostate - PSA
                                thyroid - TSH
                                CBC
                                ESR - Erythrocyte sedimentation rate

I told her that I expected high total cholesterol, but am expecting that it would be mostly "the good one". She seemed ok with that idea. I am going to have to follow up with them to get the results, unless there is anything of concern, they won't contact me at all. So I will need to remember to do that.

The thought had occurred to me to get tested for Vit D, since I am supplementing and maybe T levels, but perhaps that is just over complicating my life? I don't know if those are included in this suite or not. I guess if there is anything odd in these results we will do more analysis and I can ask then.

3 doctor's visits in 4 years isn't too bad is it? I hope I'm not becoming a hypochondriac.

http://www.youtube.com/OaTO8_KNcuo
                                Live. Grow. Flourish.

Comment

Working...
                                X