X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teh perfect hypo kitteh...

Ah wantz one!
    Someday... *le sigh*
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Comment

• Oooh! Sphinx kitties are awesome. It's like cuddling a purring hot water bottle.

My dad has a fat, cranky, elderly Devon Rex who is an absolute attention whore. Damn, I love that cat.
      “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

• My friends have two sphinx (luna and yoda), they are so awesome. I love how warm they are!

There are really three kinds of allergies from cats: 1. fur; 2. dander; and 3. (the most common) feline L-1 protein. All cats have feline L-1 protein. It wafts off of them, generally, and sticks to everything, which is why people who are allergic to it often have problems even if the cat is well out of the house -- because it sticks in curtains, carpet, and furnishings long after the cat is gone.

Now, the sphinx is great if your allergy is to fur, not dander or feline L-1 protein. Why? they don't have any fur to shed, really, so it's good to go. But, becuase they don't have fur, they put off a lot of feline L-1 protein, and as such, my DH can't go near them without a reaction!

For people who have issues with cat dander and fur, the devon rex is is a great choice because they have that short, curly fur which keeps their skin from becoming over dry, and their tendency for washing (which all cats have) tend to keep them dander-light. So, a person who has no issues with feline L-1 protein, but issues with dander and fur would do well with this breed.

For people with feline L-1 protein allergies, the real fix is a long-haired cat. For these cats, the long hair traps the protein close to their skin, and then when they bathe or you brush/groom them, the protein is removed from their body. It's less likely to get onto furnishings, curtains and carpets, assuming they are brushed 1-2 times per week.

Likewise, dark colored cats -- of any breed -- produce more feline L-1 protein than light colored cats *and* males produce more than females.

So, if a person has a problem with feline L-1, but not dander or fur, then a light-colored, long-haired, female cat is the best option.

And, I don't have to test the theory. DH loves cats. But, all of the short-haired cats that he's been around in his life have caused him great allergen problems, and even being in a home of a cat that has passed -- sleepingo n a pillow where the cat slept, for instance -- will cause him to have a reaction.

Yet, there have been several cats with whom he's been able to have good relationships and no problems. Fithi, a friend's long-haired, fair-colored (beige and white), female cat was a best friend. He would spend hours with his friend in her appartment, on her furnishings and such with the cat on his lap and even petting her, and have no reaction what so ever. The same was true of SeeMi, a white persian female, and several other cats besides.

The best breed for this allergy are actually Siberians, as they have the longest fur, and they do come in white and light colors. But, the breeder currently doesn't have a retiree available for us (we are not looking for a kitten, as a 17 yr commitment is a long one, but a 7-year one is pretty do-able for us). The rag dolls appear to come in medium and long-fur lengths, so I'm talking to the breeder about it in July when we go to Palmy to visit the friend (and then on to Taupo for a weekend away!).

This will give DH a chance to have some time with the cats, too, and see if he gets triggered by them -- if they produce more feline L-1 than he can handle.

Also, the breeder is at an alpaca farm, so hawk will enjoy himself (though he's not keen on larger dogs, and they have border collies, so he'll be a bit nervous there). But, I think he'll enjoy.

Comment

• I've read that the hairless kitty breeds are also good for people with Fel d-1 allergies because of their frequent bathing needs. Essentially it's all washed away at least once a week. And many people who start with hairless breed kittens end up with cats who like bathing and just hop in the bath/shower any old time.
          Plus, since there isn't hair for the cat to groom, there is simply less of the protein on them from their saliva as well.

I hold my hopes out.
          I think that they are the most gorgeous kitties.

I actually had a rescued DSH kitten when I was a teen in a fabulous silver/black Classic tabby pattern who would get into the bath with me at least 2-3 times a week, just no stopping him. And I had no problems with allergies from him as he aged and continued to be ridiculous and bathe with me. He was a nut, LOVED to lay IN the water with me.

I've never been tested to see which component of cat I'm officially allergic to. But I react to all cats pretty equally, even my aunts Maine Coon which is supposed to be low Fel d-1.
          If I touch a cat, I do NOT touch me. I scrub up like a doctor about to go into surgery.
          And If I'm staying somewhere that people have cats that have access to beds, couches, etc... lots of antihistamines (pills, eye drops, nose squirts). *sigh*

I should probably stick to dogs.
          Last edited by cori93437; 06-13-2012, 08:02 PM.
          “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
          ~Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

• Sorry but hairless cats look like a shaved ball sack. There is nothing cute about that. They may be warm, they may be hypoallergenic but when push comes to shove they look like a scrotum. That is all.

Comment

• Originally posted by canio6 View Post
              Sorry but hairless cats look like a shaved ball sack. There is nothing cute about that. They may be warm, they may be hypoallergenic but when push comes to shove they look like a scrotum. That is all.
              I think that they look awesome...
              It's called character!
              (Plus, what is wrong with a shaved ball sack? That's how I prefer it.)
              ~Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

• Originally posted by cori93437 View Post
                I think that they look awesome...
                It's called character!
                (Plus, what is wrong with a shaved ball sack? That's how I prefer it.)
                Sure, I am not saying it does not have its advantages but you do not trot it out in public and say, "Look, it's cute and doesn't make you sneeze!"

okay, maybe you do, but anyway...

Comment

• Hmm... I'm not aware of a lot of kitties, furred or otherwise, that get trotted about publicly all that much.
                  Most kitties just spend their time hanging out at home.

I'm not saying nekkid cats are for everyone. But I prefer them. *shrug*
                  If you want yours to be a hot furry mess... that's up to you.
                  ~Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

• Originally posted by cori93437 View Post
                    Hmm... I'm not aware of a lot of kitties, furred or otherwise, that get trotted about publicly all that much.
                    Most kitties just spend their time hanging out at home.

I'm not saying nekkid cats are for everyone. But I prefer them. *shrug*
                    If you want yours to be a hot furry mess... that's up to you.
                    Given time all threads become the shaving thread

Nah, the wife and I are both allergic to cats. Dog people all the way. Well, reptile people but we don't have the space.

Comment

• I would love to have a cat but my partner is horribly allergic to them. Dogs it is. Not that I don't love my beasties, but they are not really lap sized and they don't purr.
                      “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

• Dogs!!!
                        Always dogs...

Someday MAYBE a kitteh. Not very likely though.
                        ~Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

• hmm. that's interesting. If it is the case, I can talk to my friend's about their breeder. Their breeder is super-picky about who buys their cats, too. Because they do require a fair bit of care.

Hmm. I'll have to look into it.

I do think they are lovely. My friend's sphinxes have blue eyes that are so pretty!

Comment

• Originally posted by canio6 View Post
                            Sorry but hairless cats look like a shaved ball sack. There is nothing cute about that. They may be warm, they may be hypoallergenic but when push comes to shove they look like a scrotum. That is all.
                            you should give hugging a shaved scrotum a chance
                            beautiful
                            yeah you are

Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
                            lol

Comment

• welp, i got my hopes up too high and the good thing i wanted to happen will not happen

shitballsdickjuggler

i put some iodine on my palm and it disappeared in minutes, so as i told my bayb, i must now drink the entire bottle

i tooka muscle relaxer earlier and as i try not to take strong pills every day it relaxed me to the point i shuffled hunched over to bed. i tried to stay awake and read but no, i passed out, had crazy vivid dreams (the exploding building was cool), texted my bay & immediate passed BACK out and now here i am, watching metalocalypse starting at season 1

todays food was carby, but only one instance of flour. and that was a small instance. so yay me?
                              beautiful
                              yeah you are

Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
                              lol

Comment

• I say "YAY!!!"

Small victories.
                                We all need them.
                                {{HUGS}}
                                ~Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

Working...
                                X