Super Raw - the FPSJosh ego experience

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Super Raw - the FPSJosh ego experience

AMEN!! I SAY AMEN!! PREACH THE GOSPEL OF THE BACON!! PRAISE THE LORD!!

(jokes aside)

Hello, my name is Josh and I live in New Britain, CT, and I just recently started the primal diet. It all started when I watched the documentary Fat Head. That started most of my journey. I'm married and have a beautiful daughter about 9 months old.

Just like everyone here, lots of people would say that I'm a food evangelist, preaching the Bacon Gospel. I hardly consider myself a food evangelist, mostly because this is the only diet that seems to work for me anyway.

I also have asperger's syndrome and am very proud to represent fellow grokers who suffer from this terrible disease. (I wonder what the connection is between autism and mothers with low fat diets.)

Anywho, my sympotoms prior to starting were:
    1. Obesity
    2. High blood pressure
    3. Sleep Apnea
    4. Poor Sleep (wont go away cause I have a baby)
    5. Depression

Most of them have gone away since then, the exception of which is obesity and poor sleep. I however don't care so much about obesity than I do about apnea. Hopefully I can get off of my cpap.

Feel free to comment/post/ask questions/make me think. I love learning about food and health, and I'm always willing to change my mind (with the exception being about bacon.)
    Blag: The FPSJosh01 Ego Experience
    Follow me on google+
    Superraw: the Autism Buster blag
    "Don't spread the word, spread the butter"

Starting a journal is a good way of staying accountable. Congrats for that and for getting rid of high blood pressure and depression! I've always heard that when you lose weight you don't snore as much. I'm hoping that's true for my sake and my future wife's sake.

Comment

Originally posted by robotunicr0n View Post
      Starting a journal is a good way of staying accountable. Congrats for that and for getting rid of high blood pressure and depression! I've always heard that when you lose weight you don't snore as much. I'm hoping that's true for my sake and my future wife's sake.
      You know, dropping caffeine helped with the depression too. I used to need those SSRIs, but going outside helped me get my seratonin back to normal levels too.

I love how doing what I think should be healthy, IS healthy. Always hated corn/beans when I was younger haha.
      Follow me on google+

Comment

Yeah I'm currently "addicted to caffeine". It sucks. I want it to go away but I need time away from work to be able to do that or I will lack the ability to focus.

Comment

Hello, and why is "raw" in your title? Do you eat a lot of raw food? (I eat high raw paleo.)
          "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Comment

Hello, and why is "raw" in your title? Do you eat a lot of raw food? (I eat high raw paleo.)
            Actually yes. I eat whole foods (mostly because my cardiologist said to eat raw.) That's how I ended up here. And no, I dislike the store whole foods. The only thing I get there is their grassfed beef, and that's if I happen to be in the neighborhood. I like Trader Joes better.

I have an update on my mother, who is on "Weight Watchers" (which I lovingly call "Fat Haters") is eating your typical low fat diet with skim milk and cereal and sugar every morning. My dad is no better. He lost a lot of weight in muscle on your typical low fat diet.

My mother says I shouldn't do anything I'm doing.

God it's so damned difficult to talk logically to people who drank the low fat cool-aid.

Tonight's Dinner (All organic):
            Uncured Applewood Smoked Bacon (trader joes FTW)
            Grassfed Beed crumbles
            Coconut Oil
            Frieid Flaxseeed fed Chicken Eggs
            Living Organic Lettuce
            One Chopped organic mushroom

Fry'd em all together. It was soooo good. Who says diets suck anyway?
            Follow me on google+

Comment

Hit the gym this morning! Did high reps to switch it up. 3 Sets of each.

I'm still pretty weak, and recovering from a videogame addiction lifestyle, so I lost a lot of my muscle mass. Time to get back on the horse!

Freeweights:
              Lying Pec fly 15 lbs (Each arm 14 reps)
              Sitting Overhead Tricep Lift 20 lbs (Both arms together 14 reps)
              Chest Press 10 lbs (Each Arm Seperately 15 reps!)
              Shoulder Shrugs 20 lbs (Each Trapezius 15 reps)

Machine:
              Pure Mid Pec Fly 15 lbs (Both arms together 12 reps)
              Tricep Pulldowns 40lbs (Both arms together 15 reps)

Post workout, I had:
              2 Scoops WPI (Whey Protein Isolate)
              1 Banana
              2 Cups So Vanilla Coconut Milk (10 g of saturated fat and about 9g of sugar)

1. Blend
              2. Drink
              3. ??????
              4. Profit!!!

I weighed myself today, and I lost a few more pounds and I'm lifting more/heavier. The weight is nearly dripping off of me.

It's such a good feeling.

On a side note, I brought raw bacon to work with me today. Gonna cook it in the microwave. This has a lot to do with my wife's bacon smell intolerance at the moment.

I call it my EBR. (Emergency Bacon Ration)

Keep up the support guys, I'm gonna need it. Going shopping tomorrow with the wife.
              Last edited by fpsjosh01; 09-21-2011, 07:20 AM.
              Follow me on google+

Comment

Lunch Today:

Walnut Bacon Salad
                1. Applewood Smoked Uncured Bacon
                2. Organic Carrots
                3. A few Grape Tomatoes
                4. Walnuts
                5. Raw Spinach
                6. Red Bell Peppers

Who can Argue?

No calorie counting Here.
                Follow me on google+

Comment

I wanted to hit fat really hard for dinner tonight.

4 Eggs (regular)
                  2 spoonfuls of coconut oil
                  2 tbsp of organic grassfed butter
                  At least 5 spoonfuls of chia seeds
                  Topped off with some coconut yogurt
                  1 omega 3 fish oil dha supplement
                  a glass of chocolate coconut milk

Still under 100 grams of sugar today folks.

Still kinda hungry though...
                  Follow me on google+

Comment

Breakfast was 2 Eggs, Protein Shake mixed with coconut milk, chia seeds (3 scoops), one coconut oil spoonful

Tided myself over by having another in my herbal oolong tea (which made it taste awesome)

Lunch

Bacon double burger with steamed veggies, threw out the grean beans (wasn't sure whether they were ok.)

I also noticed I was able to get up better in the night to change my daughter's diaper 4 times, before passing her off to mommy for some Dos Boobies.
                    Last edited by fpsjosh01; 09-22-2011, 09:28 AM.
                    Follow me on google+

Comment

I’ve heard chia seeds mentioned in the forums, and I thought it would be worth it to take a quick gander. Before Chia Pets got popular, chia seeds were eaten throughout Mesoamerica for thousands of years. The Aztec and Mayan civilizations were big fans of the seed, even using chia seeds as tributes to the ruling classes. Chia is actually a bit like flax in a few ways. For one, chia is high in Omega 3 fatty acids – ALA in particular. But just like I do with flax, I think the potential benefits of ALA in the diet are vastly overblown. The “purpose” of ALA consumption is to convert it into DHA/EPA, but humans simply don’t have the hardware to make the conversion worthwhile. Most of it just gets wasted. That’s not to say chia isn’t a viable food option; if it tastes good and falls within the PB, I say go for it. Just don’t make the mistake of thinking you’re taking care of all your Omega 3 fatty acid requirements with a few tablespoons of chia seeds each day.
                      Ughhh thanks Mark. My bad.
                      Follow me on google+

Comment

Bacon and Eggs last night, because I finally got some omega 3 eggs. Felt like breakfast .

This morning was coconut shake meal replacement time.

I hit my lats and biceps pretty hard today, maybe I'll actually feel the delayed onset this time.

Brought another EBR to work today, hopefully I can make a BAS .
                        Follow me on google+

Comment

Fish in butter and margarine (I know, it wasn't as tasty as it could have been either) , Butternut squash, squash, zucchini, bacon strips and LOADS of butter marinated on the fish. Yeah, it was awesome.

Also, on wikipedia, what you say to people who say that low carb "diets" don't help you get the glucose you need for the brain:

Gluconeogenesis begins in the mitochondria with the formation of oxaloacetate through carboxylation of pyruvate. This reaction also requires one molecule of ATP, and is catalyzed by pyruvate carboxylase. This enzyme is stimulated by high levels of acetyl-CoA (produced in β-oxidation in the liver) and inhibited by high levels of ADP.

Oxaloacetate is reduced to malate using NADH, a step required for transport out of the mitochondria.

Malate is oxidized to oxaloacetate using NAD+ in the cytoplasm, where the remaining steps of gluconeogenesis occur.

Oxaloacetate is decarboxylated and phosphorylated to produce phosphoenolpyruvate by phosphoenolpyruvate carboxykinase. One molecule of GTP is hydrolyzed to GDP during this reaction.

The next steps in the reaction are the same as reversed glycolysis. However, fructose-1,6-bisphosphatase converts fructose-1,6-bisphosphate to fructose 6-phosphate, requiring one water molecule and releasing one phosphate. This is also the rate-limiting step of gluconeogenesis.

Glucose-6-phosphate is formed from fructose 6-phosphate by phosphoglucoisomerase. Glucose-6-phosphate can be used in other metabolic pathways or dephosphorylated to free glucose. Whereas free glucose can easily diffuse in and out of the cell, the phosphorylated form (glucose-6-phosphate) is locked in the cell, a mechanism by which intracellular glucose levels are controlled by cells.

The final reaction of gluconeogenesis, the formation of glucose, occurs in the lumen of the endoplasmic reticulum, where glucose-6-phosphate is hydrolyzed by glucose-6-phosphatase to produce glucose. Glucose is shuttled into the cytosol by glucose transporters located in the membrane of the endoplasmic reticulum.

Not sure if there was fat in there, but that's how your body gets the whole glucose thing for your brain.
                          Follow me on google+

Comment

Been following primal until I hit a snag yesterday. My wife wanted mcdonalds, and I had to have my bacon. Ordered a bacon egg and cheese bagel and of course there were 2 slices of cheese and I ate the whole bagel out of hunger. For the rest of the day, I felt crappy and I crashed around 3PM. That never happens. Guess What I won't be doing again?
                            Follow me on google+

Comment

Been crashing again, I'm trying to lose weight and come off of the crab thing. Time to put my money where my mouth is and restart my liver. Unfortunately I don't have any money at the moment to get my fat intake so I'l stuck on nuts for a while.

Will hit as many veggies and good fats as I can for now. In the mean time, I might have to sit and eat some stored pasta while I pay for my daughter's diapers.

Priorities my friends.
                              Follow me on google+

Comment

Working...
                              X