Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grotimus Primal's - Primal Quote

Groktimus Primal's - Primal Quote

I was just reading Lauren Cordain's new paleo book and he started off with his favorite quote from Jack LaLanne who said "If man made it, don't eat it." I think it's basic gospel but I still sin 10%-20% of the time using low carb bars or processed meats. I'm reluctant to get any stricter. I want to eat to live not live to eat but I don't want food to become super dreary. Hopefully as long as I stay low carb with some calorie restriction I can get away with Mark's 80/20 rule.

274/211/150
    -Transform!

Groktimus Primal's Experience

Comment

Groktimus Primal's - Bouncing

Groktimus Primal's - Bouncing

After another weekend of high sodium, low carb but not overly Primal foods up goes the scale 3 LBS. It is well deserved but thankfully temporary. If my past nature holds true I'll spend the next 2 day peeing it out and end up with a killer headache for 1 or 2 days. Will learning result? Nah, as long as I know the weight gain is only fluid it appears I'd rather suffer. (yes I know it's not good for me)

274/214/150
      -Transform!

Comment

Groktimus Primal's - Choking it down

Groktimus Primal's - Choking it down

I bounced back down as expected thankfully. I have my standard and repetitive meat and veggie food during the week. I am sick to death of it and I have to choke it down. I have been eating a variation on the meat and veggie theme for over a year now. Oddly enough I am somewhat comforted by the fact that I don't really like it anymore. This way I choke it down without gorging as badly as I otherwise might.

274/211/150
        -Transform!

Comment

Groktimus Primal's - Tis the season to be sick

Groktimus Primal's - Tis the season to be sick

It seems like many people are taking ill recently. I know the Winter months are known for such things but I think the Winter is just kicking people while they're down. According to Lauren Cordain about 73% of the populous is Zinc deficient and probably deficient in a whole lot more. Between poor eating habits along with lifestyle I think most of us are ripe to take ill. The stress and the cold, dry air just adds to it. I would be in good shape if I wasn't always run down with a perpetual sinus infection that even primal living can't seem to cure.

274/210/150
          -Transform!

Comment

Groktimus Primal's - Atkin's Update

Groktimus Primal's - Atkin's Update

For those of you who are on a tailored low carb primal diet like I am I wanted to let you know that the Atkin's website is relaunching soon. The Atkin's site had been pretty well dead for a long time but perhaps with their new push it might complement MDA well. Mark has a great community (which Atkin's no longer seems to) but soon it may improve and will most definitely offer more one-stop tools. Perhaps between the two sites we may find everything we need/want.

274/209/150
            -Transform!

Comment

Groktimus Primal's - Down for the count

Groktimus Primal's - Down for the count

I think of all the things I appreciate most it is consistency and permanence. Unfortunately I got some kind of a 24 hour bug that knocked me on my ass and I had to call out sick for one day. I just hate it when the world proves me human!

274/212/150
              -Transform!

Comment

Groktimus Primal's - Christmas

Groktimus Primal's - Christmas

My car is repaired, my health is restored, my presents are wrapped, I'm losing weight and I have an exceptionally bad haircut. Nothing to do now but wait for Christmas to run me over Overall I'm looking forward to it or at least the idea of it. I loathe the visiting for the most part but family is important and lord knows how long they'll be around. Perhaps I'll take some pictures to preserve the occasion and piss everyone off! That's the Christmas spirit at work right there.

I may celebrate with some Atkin's brownies or dark chocolate and some mead (honey wine)

274/209/150
                -Transform!

Comment

Groktimus Primal's - Terra Nova

Groktimus Primal's - Terra Nova

Let's hope they decide not to cancel Terra Nova. The show is only mediocre but it has potential and it's probably the best thing on. I've always loved Sci-Fi and eventually Doctor Who won me over to time travel related Sci-Fi which for many years struck me as a little too hokey and complicated to be worth watching very much of. It's only lately that the primal thing has turned me into a junior anthropologist. I never thought the past had very much to offer until I was forced to contemplate it. Oddly as a child I only had a minor short lived fascination with Dinosaurs. I did have several small plastic ones and knew the names of maybe 3 of them but it stopped there. Now I see the past as the only way to make sense of the present and future. It's like Sci-Fi that really existed and what could be cooler than that?

Having my own TARDIS would be cooler but...

274/209/150
                  -Transform!

Comment

Groktimus Primal's - Urinalysis

Groktimus Primal's - Urinalysis

I use a multi-test urinalysis stick to test my urine almost daily. Yes, I know I'm a nut bag. I am almost always in ketosis by design. I feel better this way and it is the only way I can lose weight so I will not worry about any possible future ramifications right now. Along with ketones I also have a different specific gravity reading because I eat one meal a day and that maintains a semi-fasted state.

The interesting thing I learned which at first scared the hell out of me was once in awhile my urine will show an alkaline state which I learned was usually due to my eating a honeydew melon and almonds the night before. I now know that this is not a problem and may actually be a good thing.

Then I noticed some color change indicating protein in the urine. That really freaked me out as I know that is almost always a sign of kidney failure. Here is what I learned... When I pee on the stick I do not do it properly I merely run it through the urine stream creating cross contamination. The cross contamination is only a problem when my urine is alkaline and the run-off from the PH square starts to cause a false positive on the edge of the square next to it (the protein square).

I'm sure glad I figured that out as it was pretty scarey. Also I get a headache the next day. Perhaps my body doesn't like the alkaline change.

274/210/150
                    Last edited by jfrendek; 12-22-2011, 07:14 AM.
                    -Transform!

Comment

Groktimus Primal's - Hard up for carrots

Groktimus Primal's - Hard up for carrots

You know you are a low carb dieter when you are looking forward to carrots on Christmas. I know they are generally healthy and tasty but being a somewhat starchy, fairly high glycemic root vegetable they are not normally my first choice for regular meals.

I do seem to tolerate them pretty well and that's about as close as I dare come to shaking up my carb intake. I went from looking forward to Peeps and chocolate to carrots and turkey! It's all a matter of perspective I guess. I am also a salt fiend and that goes great with carrots. That is still a calorie and carb free condiment I refuse to give up unless my life truly depends on it.

Merry Christmas primal beings!

274/209/150
                      -Transform!

Comment

Groktimus Primal's - Post Christmas

Groktimus Primal's - Post Christmas

Well I'm glad it's over and I ate too much. I would freak out because I'm 3 LBS heavier today but I pretty much stuck to my plans so I know it's only a temporary blip. I did break my diet a bit by imbibing about 2.5 glasses of dry mead (honey wine) and it was worth it. We bought it from Maine Mead Works in Portland and let me tell you it blows away the run of the mill stuff!

274/212/150
                        -Transform!

Comment

Groktimus Primal's - 2012

Groktimus Primal's - 2012

I'm not counting on it but I am really hoping for a better year. Between the economy, accidents, stupidity and people's health decaying I would like to see some improvement. Other than my own health I don't see much of a way to really effect change. Perhaps I ask for too much. I am looking forward to the surge of people pretending to care about their health for the first 2 weeks of the new year before forgetting their resolutions and goals and just becoming a "blother". Blother is a term my high school french teacher invented to describe the lazy worthless ass that comprises me

274/212/150
                          Last edited by jfrendek; 12-27-2011, 07:10 AM.
                          -Transform!

Comment

Groktimus Primal's - Apps

Groktimus Primal's - Apps

There's an app for that. As far as I can tell in the Android world there is no real useful Primal specific app. I'm not overly sure what one would do anyway. There are plenty of weight related apps out there but unfortunately none do quite what I want. I don't want much, in fact not having too many features is pretty much one of my requirements. I believe Weightbot for IOS fits the bill but there is no Android version. Right now I use Libra and I am experimenting with I7. Here is what I actually want...

-Beautiful scalable graphs with a trend line
                            -Synching with a web site with beautiful scalable graphs
                            -Intuitive interface
                            -Customizable colors
                            -Import/Export
                            -Backup/Restore
                            -Share Feature
                            -Nice Widget
                            -Integration with Fitbit and Withings (pipe dream)
                            -Calender (optional)

Well maybe I do want a lot but here is what I don't want...

-Workout logs
                            -Food logs
                            -Calorie or nutritional info
                            -Pedometer or GPS tracking
                            -Measurements or body fat info
                            -Any extraneous crap

For me it's all about the weight, weight, weight!

274/212/150
                            Last edited by jfrendek; 12-28-2011, 06:36 AM.
                            -Transform!

Comment

Groktimus Primal's - I feel the need

Groktimus Primal's - I feel the need

The need for mead! Perhaps this weekend I will investigate a fairly local purveyor of the fermented that is listed as carrying the Maine Mead Works products. It will be my vision quest for the Holy Grail. I shall return with mead or a satisfactory level of delirium.

Now bring me a shrubbery!

274/211/150
                              -Transform!

Comment

Groktimus Primal's - Bitch Slap

Groktimus Primal's - Bitch Slap

I enjoy helping people out especially when all that is required is a little information passing but I must say that I am getting very tired of hearing people complain they are hungry. If hunger is your problem ketosis is your answer (and much more). This is very old news. Once a person has been informed of this I no longer have any sympathy for their hunger. If the problem is not severe enough to try out the known solution then screw'em and Dr. Oz too. Go eat your Snackwells and enjoy those "benefits".

274/210/150
                                -Transform!

Comment

Working...
                                X