Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Groktimus Primalís Ė The Price is Gripe

Groktimus Primalís Ė The Price is Gripe

I am so tired of living in a second rate cheap ass world. I know the arguments that eating Primal is an investment that may save your life as well as significant suffering and medical costs but I am so sick of real food costing as much as a luxury item. I realize that there are ways to save money and cut corners that are acceptable but here is my latest exampleÖ

I remembered buying macadamia nut butter back when I was doing Atkins and I looked for some in the little overpriced specialty store that use to carry it and the closest thing I could find was macadamia and cashew butter mixed with additives. It appears even if you might be willing to be robbed it is not an easy option. Cashews might be Primal but they are probably the highest carb content of any nut thus ruining the macadamia nut butter for me (even though I like cashews) but of course the price was still astronomical!

I found some for sale on Amazon at $15 a jar and we are only talking an 8 oz. jar here. Macadamia products are one of the worst price examples I know but at todayís prices with unemployment and under employment the norm the world is practically shoving the Twinkies down your throat. I know where there is a thrift store/outlet where I could get cup cakes really cheap but something healthy, forget about it.

If the government is going to subsidize or encourage anything it should only be real, unadulterated food not frankenfood and junk products. Well I feel slightly better now J

274/216/150
    -Transform!

Groktimus Primal's Experience

Comment

Groktimus Primalís Ė Tribal Reunion

Groktimus Primalís Ė Tribal Reunion

My class reunion is this weekend. Itís an oddball 25 year deal. Itís hard to say why I am bothering to go. Perhaps the common suffering we all experienced together draws me back. I was never overly social or popular and I know I may not remember many from my class even with various jolts to my memory. I have nothing to be overly proud or ashamed of to show for myself.

Maybe the pull of the tribe is built in to us. Also I wonder if I will even live to see another one.

274/215/150
      -Transform!

Comment

Groktimus Primalís Ė Thanksgiving

Groktimus Primalís Ė Thanksgiving

Another eating holiday is upon us. Iím so glad Iíve finally reached the point where that doesnít bother me. Iíll be at work most of the day anyway. I will have healthy options of turkey, carrots and turnip. Even the carrots and turnips are a bit unusually for me because they are more on the starchy side than I usually eat but I know I can handle them once in a while. Iíll add some cheese and nuts as well as a couple of Atkinís bars for desert. I try to be primal but the low carb issue is at the forefront of my success. All my family and friends know that Iím a wackado so there will be no questions.

274/215/150
        -Transform!

Comment

Groktimus Primalís Ė A1C Test Results

Groktimus Primalís Ė A1C Test Results

Let me start off by saying that I was never diagnosed with diabetes but I have known that I am very sugar sensitive and I have been at risk for years. Due to the lame nature of my job and insurance as well as a more than adequate dose of cowardness I avoid going to the doctor. Yes, yes I know I may win the Darwin award some day but that is for another post. I also hate many other aspects of seeking medical care including the drugs, bad diet advice and constant appointments.

When it comes to medicine for better or worse Iím one of those ďdo it yourselfĒ kind of guys until something blows me out of the water. This being the case I decided to check my HbA1C with a home test to see if I was slipping into diabetes. I did this many years ago and if I remember correctly I got the same result of 5.7. Years ago this was a normal result but by todayís standards the ADA calls it pre-diabetes and lumps me in the ďat riskĒ category. Itís a little scary but I guess itís not telling me anything I didnít know. I had hoped for better after more than a year of primal low carb but from what I gather as long as you can stay under 6 youíre not screwed and mine has been 5.7 for many years.

I can only hope that if I stay on the straight and narrow that I might be able to avoid my brotherís fate of full on diabetes. I think Iíd have a great deal of trouble dealing with that medically, psychologically and financially.

274/215/150
          -Transform!

Comment

Groktimus Primal's - Post Thanksgiving

Groktimus Primal's - Post Thanksgiving

I have my eating down to such a science that I enjoyed Thanksgiving and stayed the same weight the next day. I normally eat meat and vegetables anyway so I just ate turkey and vegetables (just the less starchy ones) and it turned into just another beneficial meal. I love it when a plan comes together. A good nights sleep and no "food hangover".

274/215/150
            -Transform!

Comment

Groktimus Primalís Ė Oh Deer

Groktimus Primalís Ė Oh Deer

I hit a deer on Thanksgiving on my way in to work. Security is one of those never-get-a-holiday kind of jobs. The damage is significant but overall I was very lucky. Itís drivable and not too frightening to look at. I was only doing about 20 MPH when the deer bolted out of a neighborís yard and hit the front driverís corner of my CR-V. It damaged the bumper, driverís quarter panel and door. Maybe the cheesy plastic took enough of the impact to save it from more structural damage. A friend did offer to eat the deer for me but he must have ďwalked awayĒ from the scene. Now that would be Primal!

274/215/150
              -Transform!

Comment

I've just begun to read Wheat Belly! I've read The Primal Blueprint, and after Wheat Belly I'm going to read Gary Taubes books... this stuff is so crazy!!
                Overweight athlete going PRIMAL

11/4/11
                SW: 228lb
                GW: 160lb by August 2012

11/24/11- 222
                12/30/11- 229
                1/7/12- 225
                1/17/12 (2 weeks into Whole30)- 218
                5/15/12- 218 (Need motivation to eat a clean Primal diet!!)

Comment

Groktimus Primalís Ė Confusion

Groktimus Primalís Ė Confusion

Now my mother is having disturbing bouts of confusion and Iím afraid dementia may be setting in. My brother mentioned it could be low blood sugar and I hope he is right but I have a bad feeling about it. The medical industry isnít even good at dealing with the straight forward disorders so I have my doubts that her doctor will have any healing capacity. I know I canít change her and at this stage it may not make a difference but I canít help but wonder if she had followed a Primal diet in her later years how much better off she might be. This is going to be a gut wrenching ordeal from which I will never fully recover.

274/217/150
                  -Transform!

Comment

Groktimus Primalís Ė Post Reunion

I attended my 25th class reunion. It was a small turn out but everyone was wonderful. Either folks have grown up or they have at least developed social skills and awareness. I was rather disappointed that many of my closer friends did not attend but I suspect many will hold out for the 30th reunion assuming we survive that long. The years were definitely kinder to some than others. It really makes you aware of how messed up it is to wake up and find yourself in your forties. I have a better appreciation for old friends these days and it was nice to discover that Iím not the only one who feels like they never grew up yet suffers from the aches and pains of old age. There is little worse than feeling like an aging Peter Pan. I skipped the buffet and focused on the interactions. I saw plenty of evidence that the older one gets the more dietary vigilance is called for.

If youíll excuse me I must go sew my shadow back on

274/215/150
                    -Transform!

Comment

Groktimus Primalís Ė Change

Groktimus Primalís Ė Change

I find I take some comfort in the whole Primal approach. Like most people when push comes to shove I hate change (perhaps Iím making and assumption here). Sometimes even positive change is not really welcome because it puts me outside my comfort zone at least temporarily. I likely would tell you I like change if it was couched as the term ďprogressĒ or ďadvancementĒ but the truth is I usually donít.

I always said I was a permanent person in a temporary world because I value rock solid stability and sameness. Unfortunately one can easily be so adverse to change that it becomes pig headed and counterproductive. Also the older I get the less ďpermanentĒ I feel. My eldest brother is already dead and I donít think I will outlive him by much if at all.

At least I know my genes will not substantially change during my lifetime so Primal living I can take to my grave unless the world throws me such a curveball that basic survival is all I have left.

274/215/150
                      -Transform!

Comment

Groktimus Primalís Ė Evolutionary Cycles

Groktimus Primalís Ė Evolutionary Cycles

Among the many robberies that have happened lately one finally occurred in my home town which use to be pretty small, quiet and downright decent when I was a child. It makes me wonder if living Primal even matters very much. Perhaps we were meant to evolve long enough to enjoy a few ho-hoís and then be killed off by our own stupidity and small mindedness.

Perhaps programmed apoptosis applies to whole species and not just cells whose time has come. That could be the penalty for failing Mother Natureís litmus test.

They say everything comes back in style and robbery certainly has thus providing evidence that man is but one of natureís animals.

274/213/150
                        -Transform!

Comment

Groktimus Primalís Ė Primal Pooch

Groktimus Primalís Ė Primal Pooch

We have a pudgy dachshund/moose suffering from high blood pressure, constant starvation (he thinks) and depression. My girlfriend found some primal type food from Sojo's on Amazon and so far he loves it although he has not been on it long enough to know if it does much good for him. It will be interesting. It appears to be all vegetables and vitamins as well as gluten free. They tell you to add water and cook it up on the stove and add some meat to it. While he like the new food he is not so fond of the "no table food" restriction.

274/213/150
                          -Transform!

Comment

Grokktimus Primal's - Locked and Loaded

Groktimus Primal's - Locked and Loaded

The good news and the bad news. I have been at my lowest weight for 3 days straight. Hopefully this is the new ceiling number. That bad news is that I spent at least 2 months bouncing above it. It's very painful for a numbers guy with no patience such as myself. Many people advocate avoiding the scales but it just isn't an option for me. It does make me appreciate the small victories more however. I will keep on trucking and tweaking to see how much loss I can get out of this holiday season.

274/213/150
                            -Transform!

Comment

Groktimus Primal - Success Begets Success

Groktimus Primal - Success Begets Success

Just like they say that it takes money to make money I am discovering that success begets success. As much as I hate to curtail food quantities (even though I know it becomes necessary) I find that after a loss I am more willing to do it. It would be so much easier if I was spurred by the reverse logic that failure should make me try harder but I guess human nature often puts the cart before the horse. I will run-with-it and try to remember that positive action equals results rather than just falling into a torturous failure loop.

274/212/150
                              -Transform!

Comment

Groktimus Primal's Droppin' Like a Rock

Groktimus Primal's Droppin' Like a Rock

Not quite but now that I'm within sight of one-derland at 212 I am using it as incentive to relive the long lost dream of being under 200 even though that still leaves me significantly overweight. With the stress of losing my car to bodywork and the holiday's I will try to take solace in self improvement. I expect the holiday's will not cause any real dieting issues. They never do anymore.

274/212/150
                                -Transform!

Comment

Working...
                                X