No announcement yet.

Groktimus Primal's Experience

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Groktimus Primal's - A little Will hurt you!

A Little Will Hurt You (or don''t eat the damn donut)

In regard to low carb dieting...

Have you ever heard someone say a "little won't hurt you" or the dreaded "all things in
    moderation" fallacy? Give them a little cyanide (in moderation of course) they'll be fine!

A low carb diet forces your body to burn fat rather than store it unlike the Standard
    American Diet (or SAD for short).

Here IS NOT the problem...

-It's not the calories from the donut you may have eaten

-Nor is it the 2-5 LBS of water weight that you will temporarily retain that comes with the
    increased carb consumption

Here IS the problem...

-Spiking your blood sugar and insulin damages your cells

-Spiking your blood sugar and insulin refills your glycogen stores and will shut down your
    fat loss for THREE DAYS

-Spiking your blood sugar and insulin will not only shut down your fat loss but it will also
    place your body in FAT STORAGE MODE

-Spiking your blood sugar and insulin will cause most people to experience hard to control
    cravings for MORE AND MORE CARBOHYDRATES

-Eating a lot of fat while consuming a lot of carbohydrates is a RECIPE FOR HEART DISEASE
    among other things

-Junk food IS NOT REALLY FOOD. Just because you can eat it does not make it so

The next time someone tries to give you bad counsel be polite (or not) but take it for
    what it's worth (misery and an early grave).

274/194/150
    -Transform!

Comment

• Groktimus Primal's - Salt Soap Bar

Groktimus Primal's - Salt Soap Bar

I tried a Himalayan Salt "soap" bar. I was curious about it. I use it after my shower and apply it using my hands. You can't apply it directly as it is not really soap but a hard crystalline structure of salt which would scrape the skin. It seems to kill bacteria and improve the skin. Also I taste salt for a few hours after using it. I don't really get it in my mouth so perhaps I am absorbing some directly. I like the taste anyway.

284/196/150
      -Transform!

Comment

• Originally posted by jfrendek View Post
        A Little Will Hurt You (or don''t eat the damn donut)

In regard to low carb dieting...

Have you ever heard someone say a "little won't hurt you" or the dreaded "all things in
        moderation" fallacy? Give them a little cyanide (in moderation of course) they'll be fine!

A low carb diet forces your body to burn fat rather than store it unlike the Standard
        American Diet (or SAD for short).

Here IS NOT the problem...

-It's not the calories from the donut you may have eaten

-Nor is it the 2-5 LBS of water weight that you will temporarily retain that comes with the
        increased carb consumption

Here IS the problem...

-Spiking your blood sugar and insulin damages your cells

-Spiking your blood sugar and insulin refills your glycogen stores and will shut down your
        fat loss for THREE DAYS

-Spiking your blood sugar and insulin will not only shut down your fat loss but it will also
        place your body in FAT STORAGE MODE

-Spiking your blood sugar and insulin will cause most people to experience hard to control
        cravings for MORE AND MORE CARBOHYDRATES

-Eating a lot of fat while consuming a lot of carbohydrates is a RECIPE FOR HEART DISEASE
        among other things

-Junk food IS NOT REALLY FOOD. Just because you can eat it does not make it so

The next time someone tries to give you bad counsel be polite (or not) but take it for
        what it's worth (misery and an early grave).

274/194/150

Good post! I feel rather guilty about caving over the holiday, but I am reminded about the truth that comes with cheating/straying.

Thanks for the ammo!
        Regards,
        ~ Chris

Comment

• Originally posted by bluechip View Post
          Good post! I feel rather guilty about caving over the holiday, but I am reminded about the truth that comes with cheating/straying.

Thanks for the ammo!
          Gary Taubes inspired me!
          -Transform!

Comment

• Did you read his book or his blog? I was debating the book purchase....worth the $16?
            Regards,
            ~ Chris

Comment

• Originally posted by bluechip View Post
              Did you read his book or his b I ebating the book purchase....worth the $16?
              ;;;
              I don't usually see too much on his blog but I just finished Good Calories Bad Calories. It was dry but excellent and detailed. I am half way through Why We Get Fat and it too is excellent and much easier to work through. They are both required reading and well worth the money in my estimation. I thought I had read darn near all the important ones but I was wrong.
              -Transform!

Comment

;;;
                I don't usually see too much on his blog but I just finished Good Calories Bad Calories. It was dry but excellent and detailed. I am half way through Why We Get Fat and it too is excellent and much easier to work through. They are both required reading and well worth the money in my estimation. I thought I had read darn near all the important ones but I was wrong.
                I just bought them on Amazon! Thanks for the recommendation!!
                Regards,
                ~ Chris

Comment

• Groktimus Primal's - Push Ups

Groktimus Primal's - Push Ups

Today I realized another simple truth that I had overlooked for years. The miracle of the push up! Sure it brings up images of the military with the "drop and give me 20" or Jack Lalanne doing his fitness routine on television for those who are old enough to remember him. Several points occur to me...

1. The best exercise is the exercise you are willing to do
                  2. They can be done damn near anywhere
                  3. They can pretty well be done by anyone (there are easier variations)
                  4. Body weight for many of us is serious resistance training without the need for a gym
                  5. It provides some of the benefits of performing planks for your core strength
                  6. It's a good stepping stone on your way to get in shape for pull ups
                  7. No equipment to purchase, lug or take up space (very minimalist)

Also the FDA is taking comments on the GM Salmon that is coming to store near you. I suspect whatever is said will have no effect and they will just follow the money (business as usual) and feed it to us without so much as properly labeling it. They already say they do not expect it to be a problem for humans or the "normal" fish. Even if one agrees with this logic (and I don't believe that any mortal man can answer that question) why chance it? Work on preserving the environment for real fish and real food.

I could simply say "no big deal" because I don't eat Salmon (only because I don't like seafood) but the reality is... What's next? I've actually heard of scientists synthesizing some sort of franken meat from sewage. This is already done by mother nature and grazing thank you and it takes less of an energy input to do so not to mention it is far less disgusting that way!

If anyone has a problem that doesn't need solving just let the authorities know and they will literally "cook" something up for you.

274/193/150
                  -Transform!

Comment

• Groktimus Primal's - The Staff of Life?

Groktimus Primal's - The Staff of Life?

I have come to believe what I have always intuitively known which is that bread is little more than heavy duty cotton candy. If you think back to all those times you've eaten a sandwich over the years wasn't the theme running in the back of your mind that the bread was merely filler so they didn't have to give you enough real food for your money? You knew intuitively that with the bread the sandwich would fill you up but you also knew that you would be lucky to remain so even until the next meal! Sure we have learned to enjoy bread (although anything addictive seems enjoyable) and it keeps our hands clean but it is subtracting from our health in my opinion.

274/194/150
                    -Transform!

Comment

Groktimus Primal's - The Staff of Life?

I have come to believe what I have always intuitively known which is that bread is little more than heavy duty cotton candy. If you think back to all those times you've eaten a sandwich over the years wasn't the theme running in the back of your mind that the bread was merely filler so they didn't have to give you enough real food for your money? You knew intuitively that with the bread the sandwich would fill you up but you also knew that you would be lucky to remain so even until the next meal! Sure we have learned to enjoy bread (although anything addictive seems enjoyable) and it keeps our hands clean but it is subtracting from our health in my opinion.

274/194/150
                      I agree. I keep using the wrap the sandwich with lettuce technique, but sometimes I still manage to get mustad on my fingers. Oh well, my heath is worth it!
                      Regards,
                      ~ Chris

Comment

• Groktimus Primal's - 2013

Groktimus Primal's - 2013

Well we made it to another year. I plan to continue my resolution that I have been steadily chipping away at for over two years now which is of course to improve my health and have a proportionate weight. It's definitely going to be a year to take stock in personal goals because you certainly can't take stock in the stock market or much of anything else that doesn't fall under your direct control.

I'm not impressed with the deficit, the economy, jobs, our leadership, our freedom or even this countries standing in the world anymore. Least of all I'm not impressed with the healthcare system so personal goals are a must lest we find ourselves in the hospital having the "abbey normal" brain installed by Gene Wilder

274/194/150
                        -Transform!

Comment

• Groktimus Primal's - Jimmy Moore & Robb Wolf

Groktimus Primal's - Jimmy Moore & Robb Wolf

The controversies are a grand waste of time. People are accusing Jimmy Moore of being a racist simply because he had David Duke on his show. I can assure you Jimmy is not a racist. Simply talking to a person with a given belief or background does not mean you have the same opinions. Guilt by association is childish.

Robb Wolf, he's been accused of selling out the LC lifestyle. I really don't think Robb has sold out I think he is a hardcore numbers guy. I admit I am a little concerned that he has stopped pushing low carb so hard. I'm sure he has the numbers to back whatever he says but low carb is almost a religious experience for those who have been saved by it such as myself. Just remember, Robb does say if you are metabolically deranged (and many people are) LC is the way to go!

274/191/150
                          -Transform!

Comment

• Groktimus Primal's - Monsanto Cucumbers = No Pubes!

Groktimus Primal's - Monsanto Cucumbers = No Pubes!

As unbelievable as this sounds Nova Scotia has banned the sale of Monsanto cucumbers because they cause hair loss and chafing in the "sensitive" areas. They were tipped off by bald mice and animals in the area that had ingested the cucumbers.

Do we really need anymore evidence that GM foods are a bad idea? Can you image what unseen effects might be brewing? Do you really think anyone knows what they are doing in this field of work? Could the benefits of any GM product possibly out weigh the risks (I think the real benefit is lining Monsanto's pockets)?

When will this stupidity stop? Perhaps after thousands suffer serious health consequences?

I suspect the GM cucumbers are...

1. Delivering the equivalent of chemotherapy (thus the hair loss)
                            2. Perhaps they mess with our hormones
                            3. Maybe they are screwing up our DNA somehow

All Monsanto has to do now is build a Death Star and the Empire would have nothing on them!

Monsanto Cucumbers Cause Genital Baldness -- Immediately Banned in Nova Scotia | The Lapine

274/193/150
                            Last edited by jfrendek; 01-03-2013, 07:25 AM.
                            -Transform!

Comment

• Groktimus Primal's - Paleo Diet Trademarked

Groktimus Primal's - Paleo Diet Trademarked

Loren Cordain has trademarked the term "Paleo Diet". I find this very disappointing and suspect it will backfire on him. Let me say I considered Mr. Cordain to be one of my hero's and all of the Paleo/Primal folks owe him a debt of gratitude in my opinion. He is a true founding father of the approach and I don't think anyone really wants to prevent him from making a buck but I draw the line when he tries to prevent others from doing so. Paleo is too big of an idea to be constrained to one man (no matter how great).

Also as much as I respect the man in my opinion he showed us the ball and then promptly dropped it and others such as Robb Wolf and Mark Sisson were there to pick it up and hand it to us. Mr. Cordain's website is down frequently, rarely provides any fresh info and is now stuffed behind a pay wall. Unfortunately the next time Mr. Cordain comes out with new info or a new product my first thought is going to be "It's a money grubbing move." rather than my old thinking which was "Hey, this is good stuff and the man's gotta eat too."

I think it might be time for him to becomes influentially extinct! I don't see him starting a podcast or providing fresh daily info any time soon. Loyalty must be won not coerced. We've all been lied to and used enough it's not smart to poke the injured dog. This time he needs to take a lesson from those he helped spawn.

It pains me to write these thoughts as I would rather be asking the man for his autograph.

274/193/150
                              -Transform!

Comment

• Groktimus Primal's - My Story

Groktimus Primal's - My Story

Ever since the age of 8 I can remember being different. The only sports I was ever picked for were
                                wrestling and the tug of war. The President's Physical Fitness Test (particularly the 600 yard dash)
                                nearly killed me every year and my failure provided endless hours of laughs for the other kids. The only
                                saving grace was that I developed a bit faster and even though most of the kids acted like big shots many
                                of them were aware that it wasn't too smart to push the big kid too far unless you wanted to be seen running
                                away which was more than their egos could take. I did develop an easy going "jolly" personality which helped
                                me save what little face was left and diffuse most situations. At least social media hadn't been invented yet!

This social stunting continued all through high school and various employment until I was about 30 years old. Naturally I tried the conventional wisdom many times but due to the unrelenting cravings the most success I ever had lasted about 6 months. I ended up being treated for congestive heart failure and the doctors propped me up with meds and told me to lose weight or my life and sent me home with the same damn low fat diet that I knew I could not stick to even in the face of death. I went home depressed and expecting to die.

The most important moment of my life happened shortly afterward. I went out one night with a friend and
                                we met up with one of his friends that happened to have a masters in health promotion and knew the cutting
                                edge research in the health and fitness field. He took a look at me and heard my story and immediately told me I was insulin resistant an needed to go on a low carb diet. This was all new and naturally unbelievable because I knew and believed the conventional wisdom even though it obviously wasn't working. After he left I told my friend it sounded like bunk and I didn't plan to follow the low carb advice. My friend just looked me in the eye and said, "What do you have to lose? If things continue as they are you're going to die! Do you have a better idea?" I was about 400 LBS at 5'6" after all and not in good shape in any respect.

I told my friend his logic was sound and I could certainly deprive myself of some junk food and at
                                least give it a real try. I did and I was amazed. I read Atkin's and pretty much all of the low carb books
                                and the weight started to virtually fall off and my cravings disappeared and eating became a choice rather
                                than an addiction. I went off all my meds and began exercising and felt better than ever. I am still
                                angry with the medical establishment for knowing less than a friend of a friend in a bar! They sent
                                me home with a death sentence when I didn't even really need medication. I could have had a much better
                                life and saved myself some real damage with that simple knowledge. Better late than never I suppose.
                                My friend actually told me I was the only one he ever saw return from the dead.

I kept the weight off for many years but I slowly loosened the reigns and regained half of it. This time
                                I knew what to do and began taking care of the problem. Then I received my second revelation... Thanks to
                                Mark Sisson of marksdailyapple.com who showed me that the only thing better than a low carb diet is a low carb paleo diet consisting of low carb whole foods that humans are genetically adapted to eat. There are
                                many other lifestyle factors that the paleo world focuses on to complete the health and fitness picture too.

That's where I am today. Most of the way back to a normal weight and grateful to be alive but still
                                supremely pissed at the "experts" that I paid good money to that led me (and damn near everyone else)
                                astray and still continue to do so!

-Jim Rendek

274/193/150
                                -Transform!

Comment

Working...
                                X