Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Groktimus Primal's - HbA1C

Groktimus Primal's - HbA1C

Six months ago I did an A1C self test. I am not a diabetic but I like to keep an eye on it. I was borderline at 5.7 and it seems to me that my results in the past were also 5.7. That use to be considered normal but now it is considered pre-diabetes. I was please to see my A1C had dropped to 4.8 which is almost a full point and back into the normal range. I think low carb paleo eating really helps.

274/204/150
    -Transform!

Groktimus Primal's Experience

Comment

• Groktimus Primal's - Dream Water

Groktimus Primal's - Dream Water

Walmart has started carrying a product called Dream Water for $2.50 a pop. I don't usually have too much trouble sleeping but I am so wrecked if I don't sleep well that I decided to try a bottle. It's not sugared and contains gaba, melatonin and one of the 5-HTP derivatives so I thought it showed great promise as far as hokey sleep aids go. It is also reasonably pleasantly "Snoozeberry" flavored. It might be worth a try for someone else but it didn't seem to do it for me.

274/202/150
      -Transform!

Comment

• Groktimus Primal's - Little known sugar information

Groktimus Primal's - Little known sugar information

I am a strong opponent of sugar. I know what it does to me. In some ways I am fortunate to have such an obvious reaction to it because it leaves no doubt in my mind how "evil" it is. Much like gluten it's not good for anyone but it's much more obvious if it makes you crap blood.

A couple of interesting facts I learned while reading about sugar is that sugar is also used as a preservative like salt. I thought that was a load of crap because we all know that bacteria love to feed on sugar. The way it was explained to me is that sugar, much like salt can upset the water balance of bacteria and in some cases kill the bacteria by dehydrating it if it's present in sufficient quantities. Sugar can also feed fungus which why it is used as a leavening agent in bread making. The yeast eat the sugar and rapidly give off CO2 causing the bread to rise.

Perhaps a lot of people already know this but I never had it spelled out and brought to my attention and I thought it was interesting. Also it is said that sugar can help heal wounds by feeding the cells and killing the bacteria. This is one of those home remedies that isn't necessarily a fact.

274/202/150
        -Transform!

Comment

• Groktimus Primal's - The Cost of Obesity

Groktimus Primal's - The Cost of Obesity

I get a sick kick out of the government worrying over the so called "cost of obesity". It seems to me the cost is no where near high enough. If the cost were high enough they would not mind telling people the nutritional truth about Paleo and low carb dieting but as it stands now they don't want to take money away from their precious food industry of death. Well folks you can't have it both ways. You can't push wheat, corn and Ho-Ho's down peoples throats while worrying about their health. Of course it's not really their health they are worrying about it's just the big tab that has to be paid when they inevitably get sickly.

274/205/150
          -Transform!

Comment

• Groktimus Primal's - Fitbit and Aria Scale

Groktimus Primal's - Fitbit and Aria Scale

The Fitbit and Aria scale are probably the best in class products (especially when taken together) in my opinion however there is one small thing that really irritates me. Many sites can pull data from the Fitbit site and do miraculous things with that data but no site automatically pulls your weight data that I can find. Unless Fitbit greatly improves their site graphs and navigation I can't "weight" for the day when a slick site can automatically import my weight and do some cool stuff with it. I realize the Fitbit itself is an activity tracker but I enter my weight everyday (or the scale does) and lets be honest in stating that ones weight is the most cared about piece of data and the Aria is all about weight and body fat so lets get automating.

274/204/150
            -Transform!

Comment

• Groktimus Primal's - TrendWeight.com

Groktimus Primal's - TrendWeight.com

It took a lot of searching because it is not listed in the Fitbit app gallery but TrendWeight.com does exactly what I have been looking for. It pulls your weight from the Fitbit site and creates quality usable/postable graphs for free.

274/205/150
              -Transform!

Comment

• Groktimus Primal's - A weighty matter

Groktimus Primal's - A weighty matter

I'll tell you something I don't understand. Many, many people (though more so the women) do not want anyone to know their weight. I get a kick out of this because the way I see there are only two possibilities in the world. Either people don't really know you and then why would you care what they think or people do know you and most likely they are not blind so what do they think they are hiding? Fat is not an illness that can be hidden and denial is very counter productive. I had a rude friend once that use to say you can put a hat on a pig and it might be a very nice hat but what you have is still a pig! Rude, but funny and illustrative in my opinion.

274/206/150
                -Transform!

Comment

• Groktimus Primal's - In Defense of Fat

Groktimus Primal's - In Defense of Fat

A new primal movie called "In Defense of Fat" will be made if enough founding is achieved. Naturally no big organization is interested in funding it so please head over to...

In Defense of Fat: A New Documentary About Obesity by Kennon Hulett — Kickstarter

and make a pledge!

274/204/150
                  -Transform!

Comment

• Groktimus Primal's - The Weight of the Nation

Groktimus Primal's - The Weight of the Nation

I have been watching the HBO special called The Weight of the Nation. It seems to be pretty well done up until the parts where they start preaching conventional wisdom. So far my favorite line was a clip of Jon Stewart saying "It's not Democracy it's Digiorno". Sadly that sums it up with as much humor as can be mustered.

We are so screwed being trapped by our money driven capitalism which "forces" us into lies and short sighted decisions. It's so sad we won't even feed school children a decent lunch and consider the academics more important. It's so obvious when you stop and think about it that food is basic and without adequately meeting basic needs all other needs are relatively minor.

I just thank God I have learned enough to break out of the trap. I would more than likely be dead (or worse) by now if I had not.

274/204/150
                    -Transform!

Comment

• Groktimus Primal's - McVeggie

Groktimus Primal's - McVeggie

Can you believe McDonald's is test marketing the McVeggie veggie burger? That is even insulting to vegetarians. The list of ingredients shows sugar and gluten among other delights. It is not prepared on a separate grill either so even fairly lax vegetarians probably will not touch it. I think they actually found away to make their burgers less healthy and that must have been quite a project! Only McDonald's could make me feel sorry for the misguided vegans and such.

McBarf!

274/204/150
                      -Transform!

Comment

• Groktimus Primal's - Pink Slime and More!

Groktimus Primal's - Pink Slime and More!

Have you ever wondered what the difference is between Pink Slime and Mechanically Separated Meat is? Why Pink Slime is legal but Mechanically Separated Meat is generally not? Not to mention what the hell is Advanced Meat Recovery? Here is a link that will show you...

And You Thought It Was Just ‘Pink’ Slime - ProPublica

I hate to pay a lot for food but this shit has gotta stop! Maybe a little "Meat Glue" will fix this up? Apparently we all care so little that we are willing to "eat shit and die". (as long as it's slowly)

274/205/150
                        -Transform!

Comment

• Groktimus Primal's - Oral Probiotic

Groktimus Primal's - Oral Probiotic

I notice Now has a new supplement out that purports to be an oral probiotic. I would be interested to see if that really works. It would seem that having the proper bacteria in one's mouth along with a low carb primal diet and good tooth care one might be able to save a hell of a lot of dental pain, suffering and expense.

Perhaps it is too good to be true?

274/204/150
                          -Transform!

Comment

• Groktimus Primal's - Fruit

Groktimus Primal's - Fruit

I find my body has very little appreciation for fruit. Other than generally cutting down my food consumption and eating single portions rather than giving in to my tendency to eat two of everything I find cutting fruit makes the most weight loss progress. It just sucks when the next plateau occurs and the fruit has already been removed from the diet. I do try to cycle my carbs and calories just a bit to shake things up. I know I can't handle a carb re-feed as some people like to do. I think just constantly making the best decisions for the rest of my life will eventually see me near my goal but without starving myself I don't see a quick fix and I guess I should not expect one.

274/204/150
                            -Transform!

Comment

• Groktimus Primal's - Folks, This Ain't Normal

Groktimus Primal's - Folks, This Ain't Normal

This is a book I'm reading by Joel Salatin of Polyface Farms. It is one of the best books I've ever read. He explains how we became a society completely incapable of feeding ourselves and out of touch with nature. He admits he doesn't have all the answers but he has more of them (and they make good common sense) than anyone else I've ever read. He explains how the cycle of life is not just to be accepted but honored and nothing in society can be healthy if we don't maintain our own health. Much like Mark Sisson's writing what he says is something you realize you should have already known but didn't or at least not on a conscious usable level.

Read it, you won't be sorry unless you have an "agenda".

274/205/150
                              -Transform!

Comment

• Groktimus Primal's - Advertising

Groktimus Primal's - Advertising

It's suppose to be a free country and I can see that advertising should have very few restrictions but it's unconscionable to advertise foods to children. A child's food choice should be strictly that of their parents. It's like picking a fight with a quadriplegic because children do not have the awareness or the knowledge to make those kinds of important decisions. While it's true that children do not earn their own money and go to the grocery store on their own I don't think that under the guise of free speech corporations should have the right to actively try to undermine a parent's authority.

Perhaps it is viewed as the price we pay for the babysitter which is all too often the TV. Even though most of us pay a hefty cable bill it seems they need to make bloated profits from their advertisers too. It's just another sign of how lost and disconnected we are. In this day and age why would you even have a child if you did not want to (or have the ability/time) to raise one?

I suppose responsible parents will eventually have to throw out the TV with the garbage that comprises most of our modern society.

274/203/150
                                -Transform!

Comment

Working...
                                X