No announcement yet.

Primal Journal (Uncephalized)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Glorious progress, Uncephalized! That bicep bump in particular is something to be proud of.

Comment

Well I added about 10 lbs to my chinup in that time, so it's not too surprising. I'm still riding that novice adaptation curve for all it's worth!
      Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Comment

Workout results!

Squat: 190x3x5
        Overhead: 95x3x5
        Deadlift: 245x1x5

Success! I nearly puked when I finished the deads. Those were hard. Plus I ate a crap-ton of chicken today and my stomach wasn't totally empty when I hit the gym, which is less than ideal. But I kept it down and went to sushi after. I didn't quite equal my record from last week, which was 32 pieces of nigiri; this week I only had 28. Also, a beer, because fuck you that's why.

Finally got over that little plateau at 95 lbs for overheads! I was on the same weight for 3 weeks. Next week is 100 lbs, which sounds a lot cooler.

Food today was very good overall. Coffee in the morning as usual. Lunch out with work people at a pho noodle place, where I got rice and chicken. Then more chicken and sweet potato in the afternoon, and sushi post-workout, plus some tea and the beer.

That comes out to about 2300 kcal, 55g fat, 260g carbs, 165g protein. Good stuff.
        Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Comment

You always make me hungry for sushi. An all-you-can-eat place just opened up near my house. Cannot wait to bankrupt them.

Well done on the deads! You're getting into a profound range with those. When I come up from a max deadlift set, I get such a reverse headrush it feels like I jumped out of a plane face first. Whee!

Keep on progressing those squats, too. Once I started pushing toward the mid 200s, it literally became a religious experience. I used to think squats were okay but now I think they are the best lift of all. Out of curiosity, how do you do yours?

Comment

I keep going back and forth on low-bar vs high-bar. I like high-bar because I get a better ROM and the balance feels better, and it feels like I get more quad activation. But it feels a little weaker because it puts more stress on my back, and that causes a little more pain.

But I pretty much hold the bar against my traps or delts with a hook grip (thumbs on top of the bar), squeeze my shoulders back, rotate my elbows back to make a shelf, take a deep breath, and squat as low as I can go without rounding my back, which is well below parallel. I take one breath at the top of each rep. Pretty basic AFAIK.

My Primal Journal

Comment

Very interesting! Thanks for that. I'm always interested to learn how low people take their squats, since there are so many different perspectives.

Comment

Oh as far as depth, I go below parallel but don't try and hit the very bottom of my ROM because that tends to round my back out.

My Primal Journal

Comment

Yesterday I bought a truck! It's a 2000 Tacoma PreRunner TRD, V6 extended cab. It's puuuurty. It looks like this but not as new and shiny, and dark green. It also has much more awesome-looking offroad tires. Maybe I will take a picture later. Right now the Mate has it and I am sad-pants because I have to drive my Aveo home instead. But soon the Civic will be fixed, the Aveo will be sold and far away, and I will never have to drive it again.

So, that took up my evening last night, so I'll be hitting the gym tonight instead. Looking forward to it:

Squat 3x5 @ 195 lbs
                  Bench Press 3x5 @ 165 lbs
                  Pullups 3x5 @ BW+15 lbs

I also have decided that I am going to begin the Couch-to-5K program, starting Tuesday 11/8. I'll keep track of my results here for that as well. My runs will be T, Th, Sat each week, before work on weekdays and sometime in the morning weekends. Running is my poison, and I wish to eliminate that weakness from my ever-strengthening body. Couch-to-5K has a nice slow ramp-up so I shouldn't be compromising my recovery from lifting or sprinting, and I'll still have Sundays each week as a no-training day.
                  Last edited by Uncephalized; 11-01-2011, 12:28 PM.

My Primal Journal

Comment

Good workout! I missed the very last rep on the pullups. But other than that I squeezed everything out.

Bench presses were harder today, but I finished them. Same with squats. I think I may have been a bit tired or something.

Dinner after was chicken, sweet potatoes, and some mixed greens, chased with a bunch of berries.

My Primal Journal

Comment

• I am coming to realize that while I am in many ways the same person I was a year ago, I have also changed a great deal.

I am still stubborn and argumentative. I still love to debate, and I still chew my ideas until I have wrung the last drop of potential from them before either swallowing them or spitting them out. My sense of humor still eludes those who do not know me well enough to tell when I am making fun of myself, so I still come off as an asshole to most people, I guess.

But in other ways, I am new. I crouch on my kitchen floor and rip cold meat to shreds with my bare hands and teeth. I run in the dirt with no shoes and rejoice in the freedom and even the occasional pain. The simplest, most familiar motions are transformed into expressions of the kind of strength and balance that I formerly associated only with my rarest, best performances in the martial arts. And it just keeps getting better.

The new me knows what he wants and is strong enough to get it. The new me could beat the old me in a race, and then beat the crap out of him. And I like that about the new me.

No longer do I yearn for a fast car, a big house, and a six-figure income to support it. I wouldn't mind having those things if I didn't have to give anything else up to have them, but I know I would. The pleasures I want in life no longer come with price tags--the love of my mate, the thrill of rising to a challenge, the sight of the stars, the novelty of exploration, the satisfaction of work well done to meet the my needs and the needs of my family. These are the things I crave now. My life does not need to be big, fast, or expensive. But it does need to be mine.

And so I have work to do. My truck is a stepping stone to a life lived on my own terms, not the first, but still just the beginning of the long path ahead of me. I have to escape the circle of money, or at least minimize my dependency on it, and to do that I have many goals to meet and many skills to learn.

Sounds like a blast. I'm ready to get going.

My Primal Journal

Comment

• Another update: this is my truck!

My Primal Journal

Comment

• Great Journal, and great progress!!

As an aside, do you guys measure bicep flexed, or relaxed?
                          Live. Grow. Flourish.

My Journal/story is at http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread38948.html

Comment

• Flexed, always (so my biceps isn't too impressive, yet!). Same with thigh measurement, that's done in a full lunge on the forward leg.

My Primal Journal

Comment

• Today is a rest day. I got Chipotle again for lunch, a salad with a smidge of rice, double steak and cheese.

Then I was still hungry, so I got another one, with double chicken this time.

Mmm. 1100 calories of delicious lunch. I am no longer hungry.

My Primal Journal

Comment

• Oh, man, I made deboned short ribs last night (from my store of grass-fed beef). They were fabulous. A little chewy, but the beef is just so flavorful I don't care. We have nice sharp steak knives too, so I made pretty short work of them.

Also had some greens with a splash of CO, and a big bowl of frozen berries, dark chocolate and almonds for dessert.

My Primal Journal

Comment

Working...
                                X