No announcement yet.

Primal Journal (Uncephalized)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So my workout went fine yesterday. I changed the order a little (pull-ups first) because someone was using the squat rack when I got there. I hit 5/5/5 on everything. Squats felt heavy! I'm glad I'm back up to the weights where I feel like I'm actually progressing instead of working back up to weight that I already know I can handle. I am super-focused on not re-injuring myself going forward, and am really trying to hammer my squat form as much as I can. It's just more difficult because I don't have someone there to yell at me if/when I start doing it wrong, so I have to go entirely by feel. I wish I could afford a knowledgeable strength coach.

Dinner was stewed beef, a boiled egg and a big sweet potato.

This morning I pan-seared some shoulder steak and cut it into strips to have with salad for lunch. I have 1.5 lbs so it should last me through dinner too.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Comment

Well I have spent at least part of my workday being productive. Now I feel like goofing off.

Well, what I actually feel like doing is going home, eating, and working on my aquaponics setup. But I can't leave at 5 when I didn't come in until 9:30 this morning. Doesn't look very good to leave before the boss when you arrive after!
      Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Comment

I'm so full right now!

It's my birthday on Friday, so I got to pick the restaurant for our weekly lunch out at work. I picked sushi, and got a $20 all-you-can-eat. I demolished two huge plates full of nigiri--ahi, hamachi, snapper, butterfish, octopus, eel, salmon, and halibut. Easily $45-50 worth if ordering a la carte. It was delicious. And all the white rice will fuel my sprints later tonight.

My Primal Journal

Comment

One day until my birthday!

I'm breaking my fast right now with Chipotle salad, double chicken with white rice. I would be having grass-fed top sirloin and sweet potato but it did not thaw in time due to poor planning. Oh well.

I won't be able to work out tomorrow as usual, or all weekend, so I think I will bump up my Friday lifts to today. So my workout will be:

Squat 3x5 @ 170 lbs
          Overhead Press 3x5 @ 95 lbs
          Chin-ups 3x5 @ body weight + 12.5 lbs

My Primal Journal

Comment

Sprints felt good on Wednesday. Got 5 good hard runs in during my walk.

Yesterday went well in the weight room as well. I missed one rep on overheads, I think because I let my core loosen up toward the end of my second set and got a little wobbly, so I stalled out. I finished fairly strong on the third set, but I think I will go one more workout at 95 lbs before I go to 100.

It's my birthday! I am 24 years old today. There were balloons on my office door this morning and so far I have received a new Bodum iced tea pitcher with integrated infuser from the Mate, with a promise that there is something else on the way.

I'm knocking off early today to head down to Tucson for the weekend, see some family and friends. Should be fun, but I won't be making any progress on projects this weekend.

The Mate made me short ribs slow-cooked in a cast iron Dutch oven, with stewed veggies, bacon bits, and sweet potato for pre-birthday dinner, which was delicious after my workout. But it wasn't enough meat (it was a short rack of ribs) so I made myself a 12 oz sirloin for dessert. Grass-fed top sirloin = crazy delicious when pan-seared in a dash of coconut oil with a bit of pepper and garlic salt. I made another one this morning to have for lunch along with some greens. Looking forward to a noontime walk and break my fast about 1PM.

My Primal Journal

Comment

Happy birthday, Uncephalized! Hope you have a great time this weekend.

Comment

Thanks! I will if I can get my lame-ass friends to respond to my messages...

My Primal Journal

Comment

Birthday weekend: success, mostly.

Had dinner with parents Friday, BBQ with friends Saturday, and brunch with fiancee's parents Sunday. Ate whatever I felt like, including lots of baked goods from my favorite coffee shop that I rarely get to go to anymore because we moved. Cheesecake. Carrot cake. Scone. Fiancee's mom made chocolate chip shortbread cookies. Ate those too. It was glorious.

The only downside was that I actually ate enough sugar on Saturday that I puked later that night. Then I felt better, though. I was OK when I got up in the morning.

I am not regretting my sugar-bender of a weekend. And I am back on the rails as of today. IFed until lunch, got a chicken-and-rice salad bowl from Chipotle (workout day today), took my supplements, about to go for a walk. Feeling good.

Tonight's workout is:

Squat: 3x5 @ 180 lbs
                  Bench Press: 3x5 @ 155 lbs
                  Deadlift: 1x5 @ 230 lbs

My Primal Journal

Comment

Congrats on surviving, and having a healthy stomach that knows how to deal with poison!

Congrats also on moving your lifts up so steadily. There is nothing more fortifying for body and mind.

Comment

Yeah, that much sugar would not have caused me anything but a mild stomach ache a year ago--I would have just absorbed it all and stored it! I am coming to the conclusion through self-experimentation that my metabolism is way better, more "normal" (in the sense of "healthy") than it used to be. Which is great! I can tolerate--and even take advantage of--primal starches and fruits in a way that would have caused me to gain weight before. Now, eating moderate-carb (and cycling it up and down day to day) seems to be helping me LOSE weight in conjunction with working out and IF. I'm incredibly excited to see the changes I think are coming in the following months.

Lifting is great. I never stuck to it like this before, I think because a) I didn't have a good program that I could progress on this quickly, and b) I felt like shit all the time. But when you feel good, physically challenging yourself feels good too. It all goes together.

My Primal Journal

Comment

Good workout! Hit all my targets. That last rep on the DL was killer but I grunted it out. 2 PLATE DEADLIFT RAAAAAW! *GROWL*

Then I ate nearly a pound of grass-fed steak and three (small) sweet potatoes. Yum.
                        Last edited by Uncephalized; 10-18-2011, 03:47 PM.

My Primal Journal

Comment

OMG so cool!

I got a pair of Speeds. Check 'em out:

They're super comfy and snug. Plus they look way snazzier than my Treks, almost like a pair of Adidas or something. They remind me of my old Gola driving shoes, which I wore completely to death, except they don't have a stupid Italian-shoe pointy toe, because they're VFFs. Score.

I went for a (very) short run in them after lunch, which I promptly stopped because I am simply too full of shish kabob to run comfortably. But they felt great! Very light.

I've been considering ramping up to a couple of 3-5K runs a week, since my endurance is total shit. Plus I think a bit of fasted running will probably assist with my fat burning. These are just the shoes for it.

EDIT: sorry for crappy pics, my phone camera is not good.

My Primal Journal

Comment

I was lazy yesterday, food-wise. I got In-n-Out for lunch, and I just browned a pound of grass-fed ground beef and microwaved a sweet potato for dinner. Had a bowl of frozen berries for dessert. Not too bad for barely cooking.

Today, we went out at work for a coworker's birthday, and I got pita bread with my shish kabob. *SHOCK*

It was pretty good. We'll see if it gives me any stomach upset later on this afternoon, but I feel fine so far.

Tonight I run sprints! I will be wearing my new Speeds (see above photos).

My back does not hurt at all today, for the first time in a while. And I think I know why. I just started following MobilityWOD (mobilitywod.com) and have done the first 3 days' worth of mobility exercises. That shit kills! But I can already feel my hips, calves, and ankles loosening up. I'm pretty sure I was carrying some nasty tension in my hips and calves that was causing low back pain, and it's already mostly gone after a couple of days of mobility work. It's the only thing I've changed recently, so I'm pretty sure it's the culprit. I highly recommend it!

My Primal Journal

Comment

Holy s'wit, outlander! The pita I ate at lunch had almost 100g of carbs in it. Good thing I'm running sprints tonight, but I had intended for this to be a lowish-carb day, and I prefer to get them in post-workout. That'll teach me to eat bread, I guess...

My Primal Journal

Comment

They don't call it p.i.t.a. bread for nothing...

Nice shoes! Are you able to compare them to the VFF KSOs? My KSOs are almost worn through and I wonder if it might be better to switch models.

Comment

Working...
                                X