No announcement yet.

Going Wild (Drssgchic)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've never had luck growing potatoes either - makes me wonder how can they be so cheap! I'm growing onions this year for the first time and they seem to be rediculously small too, so same question - cheap? Zucchinni on the other hand grows like crazy and they want like a buck a pound or more at the store, so I refuse to buy it. Green beans too. Lettuce on the other hand is grown hydroponically in many places and so does not have dirt in it like mine in the garden does. Eating gritty salad may be good for me, but I really don't like it much

Comment

• Re: Watering... well, yeah. Ya gotta water.
      But, once the bales are really soaked, and they should be really soaked in the beginning, they tend to retain water decently.
      You can lay a hose on them with a low spray to soak them a couple times a week.
      Watering is a fact of life when it's not raining. Sucks but true...

Look up some straw grown potatoes... or even cage grown... EPIC amounts of potatoes in small garden spaces.
      Like this...
      ...but we always just stacked old/starting to rot bales along each sides of a long row and filled in with more old bales and compost as the plants grew because we had BIG gardens.

Also... more organic matter = better water retention and growth.
      Growing in the straw and compost adds tons of organic matter to your soil and makes other things grow better there after the potatoes too.
      By moving the are where the potatoes were planted in the garden every year... the soil stayed well amended all over.
      “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
      ~Friedrich Nietzsche
      And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Comment

• wrt guns, didn't he have bombs booby-trapping his apartment? he could've easily used those if he didn't have access to guns, and the human damage would have been just as bad or worse. people who intend to kill will kill with what they have, and making guns illegal isn't necessarily going to prevent a psycho from killing people (or from getting guns for that matter). my husband and i were wondering how the situation would have been different if some of the audience were armed. maybe not so much because of the tactical gear he was wearing. but maybe being shot could've diverted his attention for long enough that more people could escape.
        my primal journal:
        http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...Primal-Journal

Comment

• Re: the shooting.

No amount of gun control would have prevented what happened if it was that persons intention to make it happen.
          Yes his guns were purchased legally... those "assault rifles" are used in something like maybe 4% of homicide crimes... they barely register in the grand scheme of things. Also, they are almost never used by the legal registered purchaser. Different statistics by opposing camps state that between 80 and 93% of gun crime is perpetrated by persons who obtained the weapons illegally. That 80% is a number that was generated by an "anti-gun" group.

The tougher matter to reconcile is that IMO he chose to use guns because he WANTED to be caught.
          He could have killed and maimed far more people, and likely walked away from the crime scene completely if he had used one of the bombs he had built. Bombs are pretty easy these days... schematics for basic remote detonators can be found with almost no effort. The materials are also pretty simple to obtain if one has a clue where to look.
          He could have carried in a rather impressively sized bomb under loose clothing, set it under his seat, got up to use the bathroom... detonated... while still in the building so that he could have seen the destruction himself (a need for some psychopaths) and likely exited the building easily in the panic...
          If he had successfully exited the building... he could do it again, and again, until tracked down.

I feel bad for the families who lost loved ones, and the people who were injured both physically and emotionally... but that doesn't mean that banning the items he used will prevent all tragedies. And, honestly, the things that they are seeking to ban won't even really scratch the surface as far as gun crime is concerned.
          Last edited by cori93437; 07-23-2012, 02:00 PM.
          “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
          ~Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

• I have heard of potatoes in a barrel, and the ones in cages look a lot like that. I'll have to think about that for next year. Hmm, by then my strawbale target might be ready to be replaced, even . . .

Believe it or not, we actually have to be careful about having too much organic material in our soil. I think it has to do with the lack of decomposers- due to the overall lack of organic material However, if I spread the used compost out over a wider area each year it might work.

Saoirse- I was wondering the same thing, too. Honestly, this is making me MORE inclined to get a gun- and a conceal carry permit- rather than less. Maybe the shot wouldn't have taken him out, but you're right that it might have destracted him. And his apartment was rigged to the ears, apparently.

Cori- as usual, that's what I was saying, but better I think I'm just going to go with what I've suspected for years. I'm a big idea person. Details should be left to someone else
            http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

Originally Posted by TheFastCat: Less is more more or less

And now I have an Etsy store: CattailsandCalendula

Comment

• Yesterday:
              L- coffee/half and half, (very small) cottage cheese and apple sauce
              D- burger, parsley potatoes over a bed of lambsquarters

I did dig around for more, and didn't find many. The ones I did find were attached to another plant. A couple of them are still growing, though, so I'll see what I can do about some fertilizer. And more water. Because if you fertilize without water, you can actually further dehydrate a plant. Nifty, huh?
              http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

Comment

• I wonder how much this dry summer has effected them also. I need to check my soils too, since what you describe has been my exact experience. I don't care much now since I don't eat the taters anymore, but I'm sure the other growing things would appreciate it!

Comment

• I'm thinking about checking out one of the awesome farmer's markets I have heard about in the springs. Which one do you reccommend? Have the fires put a damper on any of that? Have you been to many this summer?

Comment

• I go to this one: Colorado Farm & Art Market at the Margarita - Colorado Springs, CO | Local-Farmers-Markets.Com I haven't been this year. Hmm, I think I need to roll out of bed at a reasonable hour on Saturday and see what veggies I can scare up

I sent off a soil test, but I never got the results. I need to chase them down. I'm sure the heat and dry (and inconsistant/insufficient watering) wasn't doing me any favors.

B: tea/cream, coffee/half and half/whole milk/D, cottage cheese/banana

Comment

• L- ham and cheddar on a croissant with chips and a coke. For which I am going to Primal Hell. After I revive from my food coma. Zzzzz.

I just had them re-send the garden results. Turns out the phospherous and potassium are high. However, the nitrogen is very high- potentially resulting in bushy plants with small fruit and poor root systems. Well, gee. I'm really not used to seeing nitrogen being HIGH. Then I remembered that the back yard was home to three dogs. Urea, of course, being a great nitrogen fertilizer. Well, once it cools off, we should have the potential for some nice greens

Comment

• Originally posted by drssgchic View Post
                        L- ham and cheddar on a croissant with chips and a coke. For which I am going to Primal Hell. After I revive from my food coma. Zzzzz.

I just had them re-send the garden results. Turns out the phospherous and potassium are high. However, the nitrogen is very high- potentially resulting in bushy plants with small fruit and poor root systems. Well, gee. I'm really not used to seeing nitrogen being HIGH. Then I remembered that the back yard was home to three dogs. Urea, of course, being a great nitrogen fertilizer. Well, once it cools off, we should have the potential for some nice greens
                        Actually... GOOD news...
                        Since decomposition of added organic matter can deplete Nitrogen, you are in good shape.
                        A lot of people have to add nitrogen when adding organic matter to combat that problem.
                        Compost... add it and the buggy things that eat it and move it into the soil will come!
                        But, for this year... yep, bushy plants and small fruits.
                        Fall green stuff should be AWESOME though!
                        ~Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

• I think the volunteer tomato plants in my garden are actually potato plants because they're forming white bell- shaped blooms at the tops of the plants. they're growing literally in rotting kitchen scraps. this should be interesting.
                          my primal journal:

Comment

• Originally posted by Saoirse View Post
                            I think the volunteer tomato plants in my garden are actually potato plants because they're forming white bell- shaped blooms at the tops of the plants. they're growing literally in rotting kitchen scraps. this should be interesting.
                            If the scrap peels had good eyes on them... yep.
                            Potatoes!
                            ~Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

• i know i tossed out a few whole potatoes because they were too full of eyes and squishy.
                              my primal journal:

Comment

• Originally posted by Saoirse View Post
                                i know i tossed out a few whole potatoes because they were too full of eyes and squishy.
                                Definitely potatoes.

They really don't mind a little decaying organic matter in their area... if they are still growing taller consider adding compost and old rotty hay or straw mounded up around their stems... just always leaving 10-12 inches exposed to sun.
                                They root along their stems like tomatoes will, and will grow more potatoes that way.
                                ~Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

Working...
                                X