No announcement yet.

Going Wild (Drssgchic)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My parents were early 30s when I was born, and while not old by no means, they weren't healthy when I was early teens, so I didn't have my dad to help me play sports and stuff. That's why I wanted kids early and I want to help coach their sports and all that stuff. I want to be a bigger part of their lives than I was.
    If I just said LOL, I lied. Do or do not. There is no try.

Comment

• Originally posted by drssgchic View Post
      We had a family at church with one girl and they wanted one more. Out popped triplets.

I wish there was a way to reduce fertility to the point that people need to actually work for/WANT a child before they get one. Less oopsies and having to work for something makes it that much more precious.
      yeah, i dunno. i was definitely an oops and i'm happy to be alive. meanwhile, all three of my kids were oopsies and i'm very grateful for them. i actually cried when the pregnancy test turned positive for baby #3. meanwhile, i know too many couples did the smart thing and waited until they were financially secure and completely ready to have kids, and many of them had troubles conceiving, or have been unable to conceive.

while i didn't intend to have a kid at 19, and it was a little traumatic for me at first, career-wise i think it's better this way. if a woman intends to stay at home with her wee ones and then go back to work when they've reached a more social age, going to school before kids only means that she has an older education and little to no work experience when she wants to enter the workforce. this will matter more in some job fields than others.
      my primal journal:
      http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...Primal-Journal

Comment

• Prince Herbert must start a thread a day. FFS, dude, you've never eaten turkey? Really? Try this: eat some fucking turkey already, mmmkay?

Aaaaand... focus!

The last 10-15 years have seen not just a huge spike in diabesity, but also parents who can no longer physically keep up with their kids... even in their 20s and 30s. Kind of hard to kick a soccer ball around with Junior when you're in one of those motorized carts, you know? It's sad, because these bad habits are just being passed right along to the kids. You are what you eat, Whitebreadandsugarydrinks.

Comment

• What career are you thinking of pursuing, Saoirse?

Comment

• I'm not saying it can't work. I'm saying I hate hearing women say "I wish I hadn't." My mom had her kids young and #4 was an oops. He didn't know it- none of us did- until he was 16 or 18? when one of her friends let it slip. However, I also know a woman who told me flat out that she shouldn't have had kids right after she got married- but she thought that was what people were supposed to do. Children should be cherished, not resented.

In other news- I'm super ADD today. I can't focus on anything. I hate this. I need something to catch and hold my attention- but my work requires me to flit so much between thoughts (People don't multi-task, they flit between two simultanous tasks thereby doing each more poorly- but god forbid I say so) combined with the fact that I'm just unhappy- that nothing is holding me.

I'm reading the thread about just walking away. You know- if I quit today and cash out my 401(k)- I could live pretty comfortably for a year, or cheaply for two. The problem is, what then? I just found out that one of my unemployed sibs just filed for food stamps. Also, if one is already employed, one looks more employable to new employers. On the flip side- I'm not doign the work I need to in order to find a new employer because when I get home I am fried. I just don't give a shit about anything. Then I get back to work the next day and hate that I have to waste 8 hours on the computer and can't spend it doing the things I ought to be doing to make my life better because my computer is Big Brothered.

I really, really need my hormones to flip to the next set so that I can resume being a capable human being and stop being this pouty, whiny, impaired brat. At least I hope it's hormones. Because if it's depression, that makes it that much more diffcult to get out of so that I can be a contributing member of society again.
            http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

Originally Posted by TheFastCat: Less is more more or less

And now I have an Etsy store: CattailsandCalendula

Comment

• It's pretty well established that multitasking reduces productivity, as at least this study showed. Better to have a limited number of tasks that you work through serially.

The walk away notion sounds a bit half baked. If you have a compelling idea of something to do for a year, then fine, cash out, go volunteer in Haiti or hike the Appalachian Trail or whatever. Just going out into the woods and living in a tent and crapping in a hole, not so much. Like I said in that thread, did the OP see the end of that movie? Just sayin'. If you can find something to do that shakes up the stale and embraces your career passion, that would be cool.

I still say some of what you're experiencing is just a product of where you are on life's path. Uncertainty, frustration, anxiety all settle in and convince you your wheels are spinning and you're going nowhere.

Comment

• It's not so much that my wheels are spinning- they are, but that's just because the only department I want to be in won't have me back- it's that I wake up every morning and say "I don't want to go." I realize that no one wakes up EVERY morning of their life and just can't wait to get to work- but I would really like to indifferent to glad to go to work, say, 3/4 of the time. Only hating my life 1/4 of the time. I don't think that's unreasonable- because I used to be there.

As much as I would love to be a hermit for about 6 months, falling off the face of the earth won't help me do the things I need to do. I need to use my skills and knowledge and ability to problem solve to make things better somewhere, somehow, someway. Thing is, I don't know how. I'm starting with the gardening stuff, but the classes and trotting thither and yon to see/learn/help costs money. I'm also very afraid to follow my dreams. I have three sibs that have in various ways. I'm the white sheep in the family with a 401(k) and corporate health insurance. Two are under/unemployed and one is on food stamps. The other takes absolutely any job he can and doesn't spend money unless it's necessary. I don't know if I'm strong enough to do either. I fall apart on a regular basis. Maybe a schedule I can manage and a job that I want to get out of bed for will help with this. Or maybe the fact that I don't HAVE to go to work today will morph into this week will morph into moving back in with my parents.

Of course, there is also the other side of it. I want a mortgage. Not because I want debt, but because I want the land I can get with a mortgage. That requires a job- and a regular one with someone else giving me a W2 is the preferable way to go. If i change industries, I have to wait another two years before I am likely to be accepted for one. I am moving in with a friend that will give me less rent and a yard to play in for my mental health. However, I can't get started with my compost idea on her land because she lives in town and just doesn't have that much room.

Some of my problem is that I'm just being a chicken shit. However, my fears are not entierly unfounded. I have a job, I have health insurance, I have a steady income right now. If I give this up to do something that matters, what are the odds that I will be able to return to such a "secure" position again? In this place and this economy- not good.
                http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

Comment

• In other words, I'm down 1# from yesterday, but the zipper on my pants just popped. Ok, they're super-streached 14s not the 18s I ought to be in- but I have had them for around 8 years at this point. So I'm fatter than ever. Yippee.

B- squash and sausage soup, tea/cream, coffee/cream.

Comment

• Sounds like the idea of walking away appeals to your resentment agains where you are now, but that you have a solid perspective on what you want to be doing over the next few years (having steady income, HC, and other benefits; being able to secure a mortgage and buy land; homesteading). So instead of completely chucking it all, maybe you just keep looking for a new opportunity, keep seeing if you can get out of the department you're in. A few years ago I was coming home with so much daily stress I was a knot from my gut to my throat. Every day. I also hated the idea of going to work, ruined my Sundays just knowing Monday was to follow. Hated what I was doing, felt trapped. One day, found an ad in the newspaper (!) in my field (pretty specialized), applied, got it, love where I am now, stress gone. It can happen.

BTW, you don't come across as pouty or whiny, quite the opposite, humorous and engaging. Besides, it's your journal and you can feel free to post here any time. Canio and Booter and the rest of us don't mind. We're here to be your rah-rah squad and, you know, dazzle you with flirtation.

Comment

• Originally posted by Finnegans Wake View Post
                      BTW, you don't come across as pouty or whiny, quite the opposite, humorous and engaging. Besides, it's your journal and you can feel free to post here any time. Canio and Booter and the rest of us don't mind. We're here to be your rah-rah squad and, you know, dazzle you with flirtation.

^This

Comment

• Originally posted by Finnegans Wake View Post
                        A few years ago I was coming home with so much daily stress I was a knot from my gut to my throat. Every day. I also hated the idea of going to work, ruined my Sundays just knowing Monday was to follow.

Yeah, I worked Sat, Sun, and Mon. 12-16 shifts, an hour drive to work and absolutely hated the job. Not counting I had to get up at 2:40am to get there. On Friday nights (like your Sun.) I would feel nauseous and literally like I was going to hurl. All better now!

Here goes: RAH RAH REE! KICK EM IN THE KNEE! RAH RAH RASS! KICK EM IN THE ASS! Like F dub said, it's your journal, I wouldn't hang around if you were all pouty and stuff. Homey don't play all pouty and stuff.
                        If I just said LOL, I lied. Do or do not. There is no try.

Comment

• Cheerleaders? Nooooo!!!!!! I lived with one sophmore year in college. She and the guy she was sleeping with (but NOT dating) thought I was mind-blowingly brilliant. Not really, just above average. But when my audience is mind-blowingly stupid . . .

Thank you for the encouragement, though! I do need to just get my shit together and fix this. It's not like it's beyond me, and I will feel better for it. The flirting, in the meantime, really helps with keeping my spirits up

L- coffee/cream and I'll probably have a larabar or some almond butter later because I spent lunch at Good Will. There was a line for the changing room. Apparently I wasn't the only one using her lunch hour to shop. They don't fit great but for $3.99, I'll take "not high-waders" and a functioning zipper as enough. I'll have to take a closer look at the zipper to see if it's salvageable or not.

Comment

• I consciously avoided the term cheerleader, for all the negative connotations. If you're feeling a little down, we're there to be the rah-rah squad, but more like, we're all sitting around drinking wine (or, you know, Scotch or whatever), bitching about this or that, putting it all into perspective, figuring out a way out. It's good to get it out, is all.

Watch those Larabars. I personally love the buggers, but they cluck in at ~25 carbs a shot, easy to stall weight loss per Mark's carb recommendations. I only ever eat them when I'm running longer distance... or when I'm drunk-assed drunk and want something sweet, which is bad. BTW, there's drunk, there's drunkity-drunk, and then there's drunk-assed drunk. At drunk, we'd be a little flirtatious. At drunkity-drunk, I could probably convince you to wear a cheerleader's outfit. At drunk-assed drunk you could probably convince me to wear a cheerleader's outfit.

Comment

• I'm all for sitting around with wine/beer/poison of choice and talking things through.

At the moment, I have them on hand because they are something I can keep in my desk and they are a better choice than pretty much anything else I could get while trapped at work. Like the nut butter. Perfect? No. A safety net if needed? Yes. I think I need to get back on the wagon with decent food period before I start tweaking further.

That would be glass two, glass three, and glass four of wine for me Half a bottle if I just want to forget my day. A whole bottle if it's best to fuzz the week.

But the question is, will you do pigtails with bows? Otherwise it's just not right . . .

Comment

• Oh my, I feel like a huge alkie now in comparison. Maybe I've just got a very finely trained liver?

If I'm drunk-assed drunk and putting on the cheerleader's outfit, I don't think I'll be saying Now waaaaitza minish heeere... *urp*... Minishkirt is one thing but bigtails and poes... No *urp*-in way!

OK, now I need to know where everyone else delineates drunk, drunkity-drunk, and drunk-assed drunk... I think drunk-assed drunk involves mixing spirits, going from martinis to bourbon to wine. Never ends well. Not sure if a bottle of wine really gets me to the drunk threshhold though, so drunk and drunkity-drunk... probably 2 bottles and three bottles of wine? Have you ever read about how much Mario Batali can put away?

Comment

Working...
                                X