No announcement yet.

Going Wild (Drssgchic)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I could if I didn't neglect them to death You have to water EVERYTHING out here! Even your worms! *sigh* time to start again. But I have also considered worms for both vermicompost and local ones for kickstarting gardens to sell A little bit of everything should cover everything once I really get rolling.
    http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

Originally Posted by TheFastCat: Less is more more or less

And now I have an Etsy store: CattailsandCalendula

Comment

• Here is my take on composting, thanks to some not healthy soil. I am not doing it for the compost, I am growing earthworms. When we first bought this place and starting planting, no worms! I figured that if I filled my bottomless bins they would come and they did! I have two bins. When one is filled up I ignore it and start filling the other bin. When that is approaching full I empty the first bin with its hundreds of earthworms and start filling it again. My soil loves me, my plants love me and I have wormy guys!!
      Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

• It is amazing how if you feed them they will come, be fruitful and multiply (worms, specifically, but many other parts of life as well I suppose). My main chicken pen is in a raised bed area that was barren after construction a few years ago. Now, my chickens regularly peck at the soil and pull those guys up. It's a little eco-system with chicken poop, grass clippings and misc other scraps added in as well. I often consider scraping off that top layer to use in other parts of the yard, but so far, laziness has prevented such

Comment

• Originally posted by Mud Flinger View Post
          It is amazing how if you feed them they will come, be fruitful and multiply (worms, specifically, but many other parts of life as well I suppose). My main chicken pen is in a raised bed area that was barren after construction a few years ago. Now, my chickens regularly peck at the soil and pull those guys up. It's a little eco-system with chicken poop, grass clippings and misc other scraps added in as well. I often consider scraping off that top layer to use in other parts of the yard, but so far, laziness has prevented such
          If I just said LOL, I lied. Do or do not. There is no try.

Comment

• One of my gardens is a raised bed totally above her ground. She didn't want to even bother with the dirt she had. Ok, no big deal. The box is going on top of the cloth that is under the gravel that was there first. Permiable to water, but not to any weeds that might be there. Ok. And a clear separation of good dirt versus unknown dirt. I suggested that she poke a few holes in it, though, to let any worms that wanted to migrate into her bed. Worms?! No! Eew! I am so going to smuggle a couple of worms into the raised bed at some point. Mostly because she cringed and I'm mean like that.

D- steak and sweet potatoes, red wine, semi-sweet chocolate chips
            B- tea/cream, coffee/cream/CO/D, squash and sausage soup

One of Mom's techniques, before we had the acres to just have a big ol' pile over yonder, was to take a smallish trashcan and bury it half or 3/4s into the ground. The bottom was cut off, and the lid was well secured to keep out critters. Once the can was full, or full enough, she'd pull the can out and cover the hole with dirt- digging the can back in elsewhere. It occurred to me that it could be a GREAT way to expand a garden, slow, but imagine the dirt! I tried to talk one of my other gardens into it- she's already talking about expanding- but having the trashcan there is eew, ugly! *le sigh*
            http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

Comment

• Dang work blocking youtube. Guess I'll have to log in from home, later

You know- they blame animals for so much destruction- and they can be distructive- but if they're handled correctly, not much is better for the land than critters

Comment

• Thanks for that clip Booter - Ya know what I heard clearly for once? There's more to do than can ever be done, seen, etc. I will give myself a break on the to do list today as this is one of those weeks where everything is landing and out of control! Why is it that everyone who was supposed to come do something at my house this past month either canceled or flaked, but this is the week they all last minute resceduled for?

Comment

• Hmm, because that's what friends/family are for?

L- 5-guys burger and unsweetened iced tea

Guess what?! Wordpress is available again at work! Woo hoo!

Comment

• Between you being busy and canio being in a training class, I've had a boring day...

Comment

• Aaw, I'm sorry. I hate slow days on here. Or, I did when I couldn't get into Wordpress. *Refresh* nope *Refresh* nope *Refresh* Sweet- a two line post!

Comment

• Originally posted by justyouraveragecavemen View Post
                        Between you being busy and canio being in a training class, I've had a boring day...
                        Sorry to hear you have been bored man. Hopefully I will be around more tomorrow. Honestly, you are funny as hell so I show up for you to entertain me more than anything

Comment

• I'll admit it, I like this place. Check in on it to see if there is any madness like Favring Gad sie, which killed me.
                          Last edited by Finnegans Wake; 05-09-2012, 07:35 AM. Reason: So Gad sie can't Google search the site to see who's talking about him...

Comment

• Shhhh! He hears when his name is mentioned. He is the "one whose name shall not be mentioned", FW, just be really still, he can only detect movement...

Comment

• And here I thought you just came here to flirt with me, Canio I'm crushed

(Caveman, if FW calls him down on us, then at least it'll be his fault this time, not yours . . . )

Ugh- I don't want to be here.

S- Larabar. Because they were having a "jello" cake for new arrivals on the team. It's super easy! Just take your regular white or yellow cake and pour mixed up jello over it! Wow!

D- cottage cheese, red wine, white russian. I know, I should have eaten more and eaten better- but at least I was able to walk past the chips so that I wouldn't have to explain THEM to you all!

Comment

• Sorry, edited; hope it works.

Just curious, you seem to like cottage cheese. Is it low fat? What do you put in it, if anything?

BTW, if you want more flirtin', you need to do more drunk postin'. I'm thinking progress pics...

Comment

Working...
                                X