Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by justyouraveragecavemen View Post
    Did you just call me a decomposer?
    Nah- you're a secondary consumer. You eat stuff that eats stuff.

However- did you know that if properly applied, urine is one of the best nitrogen fertilizers there is?
    http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

Originally Posted by TheFastCat: Less is more more or less

And now I have an Etsy store: CattailsandCalendula

Comment

• Originally posted by drssgchic View Post
      It's not "cattle farms" that are the problem. Properly managed cattle farming does not have a larger shit input than the decomposers available can handle. Now when we get into over-populated cattle and, the worst offenders CAFOs, the decomposers are overwhelmed if not outright poisoned by the shit output.
      Yes, I meant the large-scale, cram them all in, factory type farms. I should have been more clear.

Originally posted by drssgchic View Post
      Canio- There are a very few people that have realized what they did was wrong and have then gone out to make changes in the world that the world needs. What's the phrase- every saint has a past and every sinner has a future? That's what they're banking on. Thing is, there are also the ones that have been kept alive and continue to poison the world. On the other hand, if you kill them, you kill the bad apples along with a few "oopsies" of the judiciary system and the potential saints.
      Yes, but those who receive the death penalty would generally get life without a chance of parole (presuming there was no death penalty) making it difficult to be a saint or impact the world at large. Meanwhile, you are keeping many people alive who serve no purpose but to perpetuate the system. As for the oopsies, I can agree on that.

Comment

• Rain - yes! Lots of it! I was glad as I did not get a chance to water in the tomatoes, blueberry and grape vines I planted yesterday. Also, with such a big yard, it costs like $15 each time the spinklers go off, when you consider that we pay by usage and the upper tiers double, triple and quad the water price per unit. So it's raining money!!! With as much as we've gotten, I should be able to keep the spinklers off for a week And yes, sleeping in and forgeting my son's swimming lessons (they are private and $20 each, but if I skip watering 3 times, I'm still ahead with the rain I guess).

Soil - the good stuff is like black gold. Most people just don't get it. They throw away their leaves each fall and then buy some comercial chemical to put back what they've lost. And it is true that our dry weather makes it hard for the little animals to do their job. I just work on my own ecosystem and try to teach those as I can - just as you do with your blog and all. Support those in your community doing the same (buy locally, grass fed, etc.).

Comment

• Canio- so all we need is an infallible justice system, a way to tell saints from sinners, and a reintigration program for the saints while we kill off the sinners! Easy! Or we can just kill them all. I know we can do that.

Mud Flinger- Tomatoes! I hope yours stayed rain!

I'm still working on how to collect those leaves/weeds/yard waste (I'm interested in heuglekulture which needs old wood) so I can compost them and sell them back to my gardeners Less of the questionable/salty bagged stuff and more reintigration of decomposeables back into the system. I figured- beg borrow or steal an acre of land and chuck some horse manure on it. The deer are unlikely to disturb manure, unlike kitchen scraps, so it's a better experiment since I don't need a fence. Turn it every so often. Voila! No- I need an acre of land with water access so I can water my manure pile. Fark.
          http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

Comment

• Originally posted by drssgchic View Post
            Canio- so all we need is an infallible justice system, a way to tell saints from sinners, and a reintigration program for the saints while we kill off the sinners! Easy! Or we can just kill them all. I know we can do that.
            My point was more that, even if one is a saint, once said saint has been justly sentenced to life in prison without a chance of parole (in other words correctly convicted of a crime which would result in the death penalty if there was one) their effectiveness as a saint is rendered mostly moot.

Comment

• Yes, hence the need for the reintigration system once we have determined beyond a shadow of a doubt that they are, in fact, a saint. That way they can prove that they were worth not killing.

L- They offered pizza. I had my squash and sausage soup. Now I want a nap.

Comment

• I used to collect my neighbor's leaves each fall and dump them into my garden squares (last house, now I have pleanty of trees myself) and rototill in the spring. If you shread them they break down even faster. Mulching in your grass clippings is great too. It always makes me crazy how people fertilize their grass in the spring, it grows like crazy and then they throw away all that nutrition for their lawn! We always used it for mulch in the garden too. It breaks down pretty quickly in an often watered area.

Comment

• Yay for good choices. Wanting a nap is one thing, but feeling like crap - quite another!

Comment

• I haven't been sleeping well, plus the overcast sky, I'm just fried. But, yeah, at least I made a good decision. Although pizza is usually not even an option (that one time excepted because I just didn't feel like explaining).

My dad suggested that I get a "tracvac" for collecting leaves if I go commercial since it sucks them up and shreds them at the same time.

I don't remember which teacher it was, but one of them said- why do you fertilize a lawn? So it'll grow. Then what? You mow it . . . It was one of those, oh, right kinda moments.

Comment

• You pointed out cattle farms as large polluters but did you know that the average suburban neighborhood using Weed and Feed and synthetic fertilizers is a much larger polluter? No one talks about that.

Here is a word for you. Plowpan. You just gotta love soil talk.
                      Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mud Flinger View Post
                        I used to collect my neighbor's leaves each fall and dump them into my garden squares (last house, now I have pleanty of trees myself) and rototill in the spring. If you shread them they break down even faster. Mulching in your grass clippings is great too. It always makes me crazy how people fertilize their grass in the spring, it grows like crazy and then they throw away all that nutrition for their lawn! We always used it for mulch in the garden too. It breaks down pretty quickly in an often watered area.
                        This literally makes me frothy, and not Santorum-frothy but more Old Yeller frothy. It literally pisses me off that people do this and then add all those harsh weed killers and NPK fertilizers and they wind up killing not just the microbes, but also the amazing mushroom mycelium. Quick effing with all the living stuff down there, let nature do her thing, instead of turning your little green voodoo patch into some sterile plot of worthlessness. Seriously? A frickin' DANDELION is worth spraying toxins on your lawn?

I mulch my grass and leaves, and compost religiously. Mrs. FW, less so, and she knows she's going to get the glare if she tosses those coffee grounds in the trash, she knows it and yet she does it anyway. Sort of like how I know she does not find it amusing when I put my stinky socks under her pillow but do it anyway.

Comment

• A tracvac would be awesome, but a lawn mower will get you atleast part of the way there Also, don't you need a tractor to pull the thing? I used to use a leaf shreader that is really a line trimmer inside a barrel, so it spins and shreads the leaves as they fall through it. I worked pretty well but was fussy about any twigs that got mixed in.

Comment

• Originally posted by Finnegans Wake View Post
                            This literally makes me frothy, and not Santorum-frothy but more Old Yeller frothy. It literally pisses me off that people do this and then add all those harsh weed killers and NPK fertilizers and they wind up killing not just the microbes, but also the amazing mushroom mycelium. Quick effing with all the living stuff down there, let nature do her thing, instead of turning your little green voodoo patch into some sterile plot of worthlessness. Seriously? A frickin' DANDELION is worth spraying toxins on your lawn?

I mulch my grass and leaves, and compost religiously. Mrs. FW, less so, and she knows she's going to get the glare if she tosses those coffee grounds in the trash, she knows it and yet she does it anyway. Sort of like how I know she does not find it amusing when I put my stinky socks under her pillow but do it anyway.
                            I love my dandelions - I dig 'em up and feed them to the chickens and turkeys. They love them and I think about "dandelions into eggs" while I dig them. Plus the kids leave me alone when I do it as they hate pulling weeds!

There are times when poison may be needed, but I always ask people "why would you poison your environment". Weed and Feed is poisonous as is most of that commercial crap.

Comment

• I didn't know that, Honeybuns, but it makes a whole lot of sense! I mean, that it is a major pollutant, not why they do it. You know what I mean.

One of my concerns is actually the rampant use of herbicides and pesticides. I don't want to pick up leaves that have been sitting on a poisoned lawn, but I'm also not sure how much the homeowner will really know. (I might be giving them too little credit, but I'm not sure I am) I don't want to pick up leaves and mulch them only to have them kill whatever they mulch. (I have already considered picking up leaves like that separately and mulching them elsewhere so I can test them first)

I hadn't thought about the power source. Hmph. Have to do some research. But I need to find the land first

I don't get people that don't compost. If you have a yard (ok, and some extra fencing apparently, if you have a dog- our dog never got into our compost) then it's not like it's hard! I also grew up in a house where there was trash, recycling, and garbage. The garbage went to the compost pile. But I've got 4 gardens and one of them is doing compost. (and the community garden, thank goodness, but that's not my baby) Two were rather grossed out by the idea. Plus, ugh, it's so ugly! Of course- this just means that I have another possible money-making niche

Comment

• Composting kitchen scraps and such does require you to keep them (usually on the counter) until you can take them out where they go. A new habit is a pain and then when you add the potential "ugliness" of it, most people don't bother. I get comments all the time about my container of chicken egg shells that I save. I feed them back to the chickens (crushed of course) or sprinkle them in the garden. Kitchen scraps go straight to the chickens so I don't keep them around to compost (unless, you count the chicken poop of course).

I bet you could get a serious worm farm going and then sell this to your "smarter" customers!

Comment

Working...
                                X