No announcement yet.

Going Wild (Drssgchic)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm really happy that so many people are going to do this with me. My friend (runs a blog called Paleo on a Budget) from high school is running one for January through her blog/facebook page so I joined that one too. I'm feeling really optimistic about it, but part of me is still really scared I'm going to mess up! I want to be 100% so badly. I am also going to be focusing on budgeting and will include my notes on that in my regular journal (weekly spending) as well as a weekly re-cap in my regular blog (maybe).

I'm really really close to finishing season 6 (episode 21, I don't know how many there are but there can't be many more). Non-netflix activities: blogging, reading, crafting, researching (horses, primal life, happy stuff, whatever), sewing, drawing... I should be doing these things too, but Bones has become my post-work wind-down. Only I tend to end up spending most of the evening oggling Boothe instead of bothering with anything else.

Hah, eating vegetables. Who does that?
    Depression Lies

Comment

• Well, anything less than perfection just won't be acceptable. Sorry.

That's my problem, too. All the boys actually. Ok, except for Fisher. I like wierd- but he's a little too out there for me. Actually- now I'm thinking that I'll quit it on Friday or Saturday whether I'm done or not. I really need to not waste my time. And it will leave me time for my blogging I use it to wind down. Actually- it's usually my dinner companion- but I'd be better off if I read or maybe meditate over my food. Of course, Bones isn't quite as bad as when I was spending my evenings watching Angel. I mean, Bones is at least somewhat intellectual. (But Spike and Gunn are so cute . . .)

Budgeting is wierd. I was supporting a horse when I was working at Highs- and I have a spiffy corporate job now and I'm having trouble saving. Of course- I had no savings with the horse and I was working off most of her board and I wasn't eating $5 a wedge cheese. It's all about priorities?
      http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

Originally Posted by TheFastCat: Less is more more or less

And now I have an Etsy store: CattailsandCalendula

Comment

• Welp making yourself accountable by keeping a spreadsheet with income and outcome helped me a lot. I just reviewed my December sheet with much dread, but was surprised that I came out positive! Of course, I just had to pay a missed appointment fee and then the rest of my bonus (only $50 after that) went to a loan (they say that every little bit helps, but I'm not convinced), so that knocks me down a bit, but any savings is savings. I don't count my payments to loans because those payments come out of my savings account and I just dumb some money in there from time to time to keep it at a decent balance (only need to every few months).

Creating sums is the only thing I can do in Excel heh.
        Depression Lies

Comment

• I did that last year for a (very) little bit- and I'm going to start it again in January. I'm also going to implement that blog's suggestion of using a checking account log and whatever is left over when you get your new paycheck goes to bills/savings. Easy peasy. There will also be an assesment of what is necessary, what is not, and what I'm already saving to see how close I am to the 50/30/20 in the book I'm almost done reading. I will know a lot more about my finances when I get all this done . . .

Every little bit DOES help- even if it's just covering the interest so you don't get further in debt. But it can be hard to see little dents when you really want to make a big one. BTDT

I don't know what has been up- but I have been having the wierdest dreams lately. And I mean wierd for me. This is coming from someone who dreamed about headless grey people walking in a grey, horizonless place and woke up saying "Huh. Interesting." I just remember bits and pieces of last night- but at one point I really didn't know whether I was renting my home or paying a mortgage. There was also the part where I was part of the squint squad in Bones (and a bit of hanky panky with Booth- but that's not wierd. Who wouldn't want that?) That was from too many episodes of Bones so I can get the season finished before I turn off Netflix. Then there was waking up frequently and generally sleeping poorly. The fact that it was at least 50 degrees last night didn't help in the least. Not with the heat leaking in from the hallway. I do NOT sleep well in heat.

This is going to be a busy weekend. I'm stopping to pick up some bleach and that After Midnight blue to put the streak in. Wonder- since this is going to be (relativly) permanent- do I need to wait any between when I bleach and when I dye? (I'm thinking of a horror story I heard about bleaching and temporary blue for halloween causing green for weeks . . .) I'm also going to be setting up the blog, and checking out my first show-piece garden. It will be good to be productive.
          http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

Comment

• Well it's going to go greenish eventually no matter what. Getting a purple-blue (or mixing the two) is the only way to not go green with a blue color, unfortunately. Stupid, because it's a primary color! Anyway, if your hair is in good shape after the bleach, doesn't feel too brittle or squishy, go ahead and do the blue. If your hair feels weird, get some keratine conditioner (a packet from Sally's Beauty Supply is all you need), use it, and wait until the hair feels normal before the blue. You'll probably want to do a shampoo wash before dyeing so it picks up the color as best as it can.

Your hair might end up kind of golden after the bleach, but the blue tones will cancel it out and it will end up more white when it washes out. Fun! I am going to experiment with peroxide rinses soon to try to get the green/blue out faster so I can bleach again without ending up with light green hair...
            Depression Lies

Comment

• Thanks for the tips!! Actually- purple is the other option for me, so maybe it'll depend on what they have when I pop into the mall on the way home. I have to get a couple of frivelous purchases out of the way before January I'm actually going to be getting my hair trimmed, too. I've been putting it off, but the ends are getting a bit drier than conditioner can cure. That should take care of the shampoo part. I guess that does make sense that stripping it before you dye it would make it more receptive . . .

I've always loved white hair. The first time I tried blue, it went pretty silver pretty fast- which I liked, but my friend/styalist objected. Then when my hair lady baked it in, it stuck around better. I'm looking forward to the silver thing again.

Comment

• Stupid healthy hair. It should not be THAT difficult to bleach and dye. I did three or four rounds with a really light blond that wasn't actually a bleach. Yeah, I got light brown. Gah. So I picked up some "Beyond Bleach" that I'd seen at Hot Topic when I picked up the dye. That worked better, but not even close to the white it said it could reach. (Wonder- one of the Hot Topics also had a "Color Out" or something like that for removing color. Might help you so you can switch up.) Briefly, I had a lock of hair that looked remarkably like Gabrielle's from Xena. Then I did two rounds of blue. I still have an inch or so of flaxen between the roots and the blue. *le sigh* Oh well- at least some of it is blue now, and I'll get better at the dying thing.

I didn't get everything I should have done completed this weekend. However, I did get in a walk to take my recycling to the park. That's about 4.5 miles, half with a weighted pack. It was a lovely day for a walk. I also got to play a little in one of my victem's gardens to see what we had to work with. I've got my work cut out for me, but it's tiny, so I think it's very doable.

I decided to indulge this weekend prior to the Whole 30. Wine, cheese, there would have been sushi, but I waited too long to order on Saturday so I got a burger with fries and a milkshake instead. I also watched waaay too many episodes of Bones (almost done, Netflix will be gone soon). Yesterday, I wondered why my shoulders felt like I'd been working out- since I hadn't been. Then I remembered that I'd eaten the bun off the burger. Bad idea, that. But it's really out of my system at the moment. I have a duck carcass simmering for broth (we'll see how gamy it is- I don't know if it'll be worth eating or not) and I'll be making soup tonight out of the wilty veggies in my fridge and the duck hearts, livers, and some leftover meat. We'll see how the offal soup is

Comment

• Haha yes, healthy hair is a bitch to bleach! 40vol is very strong and will likely get through even the healthiest of hair, but I would definitely have a reconstructor conditioner on hand if you do that as it will likely make your hair very brittle. Did you wash beforehand? I've seen the color removers, but they don't work well for temporary dyes, or so I've heard. I might try them anyway, but first I want to try a hydrogen peroxide rinse/soak. It should lighten my hair in general as well as somewhat remove the dye.

I had a chicken heart yesterday when I fished the carrots out of my stewing chicken broth in the slow cooker. At least, I'm pretty sure it was the heart. Can't say I liked the texture much.
                  Depression Lies

Comment

• I've got the 40 volume for the one that worked. And I managed to just use some of it so I can keep it for the next time I need to bleach my hair. I got my hair trimmed this weekend, so it was shampooed. It seems fine with the bleaching so far- no change in texture or more fallout. Is the hydrogen peroxide soak just that? Because that sounds cheaper than bleach- even if I am going to get more than one use out of the bottle.

So you're at work today, too, huh? Oh well- it's money.

I plan on slicing the livers and hearts into teeeny tiny pieces before cooking them up. Maybe if the pieces are small enough they'll be eaten without much notice? Hopefully? We'll see.

Well- I was up past my bedtime last night- so I was going to allow myself to buy coffee on the way into work and expected to by another one at lunch. Turns out coffee is free on Monday mornings at the gas station I stopped at- and I reminded myself at lunch that the free coffee here really isn't that much worse than 7-11 coffee- and it's free. There was no way I was braving Starbucks for a plain coffee- I never would have made it. The coffee is pretty lousy- but I'm caffinated and I still haven't spent any money today. I think that's pretty good.

Comment

• Yeah, we don't get Jan 2nd off, it was apparently that or MLK Jr Day. Stupid, huh?

Peroxide is tricky. Some people say it doesn't do anything, some say be SUPER CAREFUL with it. It is an agent in your standard bleaching kit though they say it doesn't work without a developer. I don't know the science behind it, but I figure it's worth a shot (plus it's a good thing to have in the first aid kit, so I picked some up). One thing I read said to put some in shampoo and let it soak in your hair for some time. Another said dilute it with water so it's about 1:10 and spritz onto your hair. Cover it with a bag and WATCH. I think I'll mix some with water and spritz...just need to find a bottle to use =\ Ever heard of the term "peroxide blond"? Anyway, people say it can melt your hair, but the same goes for your standard dye kit so whatever. Either way it's a risk. Peroxide breaks the bonds in your hair, that's all I really know.

I'm sure livers and hearts with onions are amazing, I could imagine how the flavors would go well based on my one-time nibble.

I got a Starbucks card for Christmas. I might try out some of their teas, but since I don't go near them often, I think I'll be okay for January.
                      Depression Lies

Comment

• I'm tired, I'm cranky, I'm hungry, I don't have any snacks, and I really want one of those donuts that were brought in for breakfast this morning even though I know it wouldn't do me any favors. I don't want my lunch, but I only have a 30-minute lunch today so leaving campus is not an option and buying anything in the cafe is expensive and probably off plan. Although they are feeding us lunch today. Pasta bar. Helpful . . .

I just remembered that I have an apple at my desk. Thank goodness. I really need to get my act together so I can have bigger dinners to skip breakfast with Whole 30-approved snacky stuff to keep in my desk. I don't like to snack, but I need to know it's there if I need it. Like today. Because I get cranky as hell when I'm under-fed and under-rested.

In other news- I made Offal Fowl Soup last night. Duck hearts, livers, and meat in turkey broth with carrots, kale, and cabbage. It's surprisingly not bad. And between the broth and the offal, it's gotta be healthy. I need to keep working on it, though, if I ever want to feed it to someone who isn't after the great nutrition. I'm thinking the kale might be a little to sharp a taste for the soup- but it was very sad and really needed to be used.

I almost wish I liked onions. Then this whole liver thing would be easier. I am getting better about cooking with them and not picking them out of things I'm served- but aside from French Onion Soup- I don't like them to be the flavor of whatever I'm eating. Particularly if the other flavor is something else I'm not at all sure about either.

When you're off your diet- allow me to reccomend the Vanilla Rooibos Tea Latte- whole milk and no syrup. It's sweet- but because of the flavor of the tea, not sugar- so it's not even that bad. Or so I tell myself.

Comment

• Is breakfast not an option or are you looking to IF for 24hrs?

I've tried Vanilla Rooibos Tea with milk (before this month obviously) and it was definitely interesting. I'd consider trying it again, but I would rather stock up on my own tea options.
                          Depression Lies

Comment

• Oh- their tea as in the stuff you can make. Right. I forget that you can get that stuff there

I could do breakfast, and maybe I should just anticipate doing that. But I have done the 16/8 fasting and I really liked it. I'm just off-kilter from being in the habit of getting breakfast so I could flirt with the grill guy. If I do a 24-hour IF, it's only by accident- and not on work days. I'm not in the mental place to be pushing that right now.

I raided the pasta bar for lunch. Meatballs and salad later- I'm happier. I went back for seconds on the meatballs because I'm noshy but there weren't any to be had Probably for the best.

Comment

• Ok, I quit, I give, uncle!

I need to make sure I have enough food around for breakfast AND lunch on any given day. At least for now. I had a huge steak and a sweet potato for dinner last night. And I'm hungry again. I broke down and bought myself a small coffee. It's better than the free stuff, and hopefully the caffine and coconut oil will tide me over until lunch. Now to squeek through the rest of the week until I can really sit down and think about what I want for noshies in my desk. And plan for quick breakfasts since rolling out of bed prior to the crack of dawn isn't easy enough to let me cook in the morning.

I finished Bones last night. Not cool with that as a cliffhanger! Come on! But- I'll be quitting Netflix today. I need to be spending the time reading, writing, and getting to bed on time.

I am working on tracking down kits for sending in soil to the extension office to be tested. There was one place south of Denver that had them- and it was still a solid 30 miles north of me. I knew I should have called first. They appear to be closed. Permanently. Spiffy. So I'm going to head up to Denver this weekend to get my hands on a couple. Then I decided that if I'm up there, I think I'll be making a day of it at the botanical gardens. Can't wait!

Edit: Netflix is gone. Blog is set up. Now I just have to write the first post
                              Last edited by drssgchic; 01-04-2012, 03:00 PM.

Comment

• I almost wish I liked onions. Then this whole liver thing would be easier. I am getting better about cooking with them and not picking them out of things I'm served- but aside from French Onion Soup- I don't like them to be the flavor of whatever I'm eating. Particularly if the other flavor is something else I'm not at all sure about either.
                                I used to HATE onions as a kid and pick out the tiniest pieces. I'm ok with them now. Leeks are awesome, tho and supposedly really good for you.
                                Cooking Primal with Otter - Journal
                                Otter's (Defunct) Primal Log
                                "Not baked goods, Professor, baked bads!" ~ The Tick

Comment

Working...
                                X