No announcement yet.

Going Wild (Drssgchic)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My boyfriend and I would have the most awkward hyphenated name. His is Anglo-Saxon and mine is Russian (with Polish spelling).
    Better yet, just take the beginning of your name and the end of his and make a funny name.
    I think our wedding registry was under such an Anglo-Saxon/Japanese conglomeration
    Used to work with this rather stuck-up woman who refused to change her name (Donovan) because her husband's name was Walnut.....Donut! ha ha! She didn't like that too much.
    Cooking Primal with Otter - Journal
    Otter's (Defunct) Primal Log
    "Not baked goods, Professor, baked bads!" ~ The Tick

Comment

• Russian with a Polish spelling? Take his name so your kids will be able to spell theirs! (kidding- mostly)

I fully intend to take my husband's name unless it's something aweful. The bank I worked at had a family named Dick and another named Butt. There are some things I'm just not prepared to do for love . . .

Malcerse . . . Conom (there's one to be said over a loudspeaker . . .)

This has nothing to do with Primal- but I had a wierd dream last night and I thought I'd share. I don't remember the plot, but it was very Wild West and starred several horses and mules and some explosions. Maybe this is a regurgitation of Cowboys and Aliens? But I saw that a while ago . . . What particularly impressed me was this little mule that not only pulled a stagecoach by his lonesome- but it was also carrying the payroll- in gold. Yes, these are the things that impress me.
      http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

Originally Posted by TheFastCat: Less is more more or less

And now I have an Etsy store: CattailsandCalendula

Comment

• Originally posted by ottercat View Post
        Better yet, just take the beginning of your name and the end of his and make a funny name.
        I actually had a conversation with my boyfriend about this last night. I would take his last name. But from what you suggested, it'd be Orlcomb. That is just incredibly weird to get your mouth around! I will keep my last name as part of my name so I can sign with it still (and my name is so deliciously Russian, I just don't want to lose it!).

Originally posted by drssgchic
        Russian with a Polish spelling? Take his name so your kids will be able to spell theirs! (kidding- mostly)
        Haha, but seriously, that would be the plan and the reasoning!

If I was going to read into that dream, I'd say you admire the mule because it doesn't matter that he's small, he's very capable and obviously strong. Maybe that is something you'd like for yourself, to be capable, strong, healthy, and who cares what size. But I don't put a lot of stock into dream analysis
        Depression Lies

Comment

• Sometimes if I think about a dream long enough I can make sense of it. This isn't one of them. Although I might have gotten the stagecoach with a mule idea from the one they have for tourists in Jackson Hole. Although that one had a matched team. Who knows . . .

So- you never know when you're going to meet interesting people. I spent most of my monthly 1X1 with my supervisor discussing how people will start gardening more out of sheer self-defense. He and his wife are thinking about starting a veggie garden again themselves. Then I dashed out to put some cards in the mail- I missed the post office, but found a "postal center" to get it done. I stopped at a coffee shop that was under new management. "Ground and Pound Coffee." I walked in and asked the guy behind the counter if he was a fighter, or just a fan. Turns out he's an amature MMA fighter. He was impressed that I got the reference- well, after a year in Krav Maga, it's a familiar phrase. He's a Krav instructor two days a week at the local MMA gym. Cool!

As an aside- just in case anyone is interested- Wranglers suck for sitting at a desk all day. They're great for riding (duh, what they're designed for) and they're fine for walking in, but the higher waist really bites into me when I'm bent over in a chair. I guess I'm just going to have to find a job that includes more riding and/or walking if I want to continue wearing them . . .
          http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

Comment

• I took myself to Panera for lunch today. As I was ordering, I see out of the corner of my eye this fanTAStic frock coat. Ankle-length, full-skirted, black. Then I glance up and take in the rest of the person. Priest. I guess that makes it a frock not a frock coat? Oops.

I woke up yesterday morning, looked at the snow I'd have to scrape off my car, considered the two sick days that I'd lose if I didn't use them, and called out. Then I slept 'til 2. Apparently I needed the day off anyway. I don't understand why I get penalized for not being sick. We get six days per year- and if you don't use them by December 31 they dissapear. I'm seldom sick 6 days a year. I suppose if I took the number of mental-health days I really need, I'd use them in no time flat- but why am I penalized because I think I should show up to work? *sigh* Must buy winning lottery ticket. It's the only solution.

I do hate when I have a non-functional day when something that only happens occasionally occurs. Like the solstice. I'd wanted to go to the celebration- but it just wasn't happening. I can go and go and be functional on a pretty high level- and then splat no more. I wish there was a way to manage when the splats happen so it can be at a less inconvenient time. I'm doing a lot better than I used to- I still go to work when I've splatted. I might not do well- but I show up which I didn't used to do. Hopefully I can rest and recouperate through Monday, and I'll be back on track when I go back to work on Tuesday. *fingers crossed*

Comment

• I laughed heartily at your Panera incident. You should have said "I just LOVE your robe!" and stroked his shoulder.

Heh splat is a good description. Meltdown is my usual name for it. I got an eye opener this year and got close to losing my job for too many missed days for splats =\

Good luck with recouperation! No harm in doing a late Solstice celebration on your own. Maybe some red wine and a nice bath is all you need.
              Depression Lies

Comment

• Yep, I've called them meltdowns, too. Which in my head is either a temper tantrum or like an icicle- a quiet, cold removal of that which keeps one together. Recently, however, it's been a flat out nose-to-the-pavement style splat. I'll be rolling along just fine and then . . . no more.

I've lost jobs for not showing up and/or being chronically late. It took time, but I realized that I have to treat work a lot like I treated school. I never called out for that because if I started, then I'd never go. (It helped that staying home with Mom was not fun. If you were home sick- you were treated like you were sick.) I can't say I was ever really good at homework or necessarily paid much attention- but showing up was generally enough to get me through. It's probably not good for my standing at work- but I'm falling back on that habit right now. Am I excelling? Ha. But scraping by for me really isn't half bad compared to most people. I figure as long as I manage to not get fired this winter, I'm doing fine.

This weekend was essentially a loss. Let's not discuss how many episodes (ok, seasons) of Bones I watched. I also had a really disturbing dream that my Dad had died. This was disturbing on several levels- obviously, because my Dad died. Also, because I realized that I have no one out here to lean on in such a situation like I did back East- which made me question the wisdom of leaving my friends. I'm not one of those people that makes friends easily. Also- I am not used to being disturbed by my dreams. Not like this. I was actually upset when I woke up. Usually the only dreams that upset me are the out of control car ones- and it's not the dream itself but my understanding of it's meaning.

However- I got some ducks to clean and eat on Christmas (Thank you Erin!) and I'm getting back on my mental feet. I got a great book on money (The 10 Commandments of Money) that is helping me see that budgeting and saving aren't that difficult- and getting out of the rat race is possible. Part of this splat was the fear that I'd spend my life working and never get the chance to LIVE. I don't really have wild dreams- traveling the globe is the dream of a couple of siblings- I just want land I can know and can nurture. It would be nice to have someone to share that with- but I'm not holding my breath on that one.

How was everyone else's Christmas/holiday of choice?

Comment

• I'm almost through season 6, I think. Getting a bit tired of waiting for some sexy moments! That show makes me tear up like nothing else sometimes. I am definitely going to have to break the law to get the most current season (which is probably running on TV currently) once I finish this one.

Calling out is a slippery slope, I agree. Are you supplementing Vitamin D, young lady?

Oof those kinds of dreams are really terrible. I dream my brother is killed every now and then and they always rattle me. No suggestions there, they just suck and you have to remind yourself they're not real and make sure you show some extra love next time you see that person.

I'm jealous of your ducks, or rather the fact that you have them. I don't particularly want to be eaten by you =P I'll have to check out that book. I like reading And Then She Saved - Started A Spending Fast. Ended My Debt. You Can Too. and her journey through a 'spending fast' to cut down on excessive spending and dealing with buyer's withdrawal.
                  Depression Lies

Comment

• Well I don't think you're in any danger- you said you're on the almost-too-lean side. I'd have to add too much coconut oil

Yes, Ma'am, I am on vitamin D more often than not. I think I need to look at the supps again. It's so hard to know, though, what is winter, what is hormones, what is because the holidays annoy me. Oh well. This is what I've been given to work with. Maybe I was just peopled out. I mean, winter is hard for me. I love it- but it's hard and I don't have the things I need to force me to do what I need to do. Part of the reason horses keep me stable is that they require me to be outside and active. Hmm- I need to look up that theraputic barn I heard about . . . 'cause being between horses is nice for my wallet, even if it isn't for my soul, but helping there won't require me to buy one.

The wierdest thing about that dream is that I never have dreams like that. When somebody dies- it's usually me. (as in I wake up and knew I died rather than actually dying in my sleep) I'm actually pretty convinced that I'll die in a housefire, actually. I mean, you can't dream about that as many times as I have and not wonder if it's telling you something.

Thanks for the blog suggestion- that might be good for keeping me on track to put that in my regular rotation.

Comment

• Okay, let's recap then. What supplements are you one? List the dosage for each and what time of day you take them/how often etc. I'm convinced that our bodies may need different micronutrients for best function in different seasons, some are more sensitive than others, beyond just Vitamin D, so maybe it is that it's winter, but not in the way you think?
                      Depression Lies

Comment

• Erm- I'm going to have to get back to you on that one . . . for the details at least. I'm trying to do the mood cure many pills many times a day. I'm pretty bad about the early morning ones- and if I haven't set up my pill box then it won't happen at all that day. I'm going to have to pick up 5-HTP. My sleep has been horrific since the last bottle ended. So bad that I'm thinking about picking up some melatonin, too. I also need fish oil and there was another one- but I can't remember which one. I do take 5-10K IUD vitamin D more days than not (it's 5k sublinguals- they didn't have unflavored drops when I needed it).

I'm also working on getting signed up with a theraputic riding barn. Good therapy, even if I'm not the rider It'll get me outside and be a useful use of my time. Not more than a day or two a week- I really do need to focus on the gardening thing- but that will give me some horse time and some outdoors time without putting the money out for lessons or getting one of my own. I submitted the application and sent them an e-mail to see if they needed someone who'd rather shovel stalls than work with students- since that's really what I'd rather do. I don't expect them to say no.

My biggest problem is that I need a win- and I don't have one right now. And the lethergy/apathy just snowballs on itself to keep me from a win. That's what the Whole 30 and starting at the barn are for. I think I'll also be setting up the blog this weekend. Hopefully that will help me focus and move forward.

I really don't have a poker face at all- but grill guy did, ah, grill me today on what's wrong. He noticed that I'm not myself. Well- I am- just my cranky, pissy, anti-social winter self. Sadly, he made some assumptions about me that really make me disinclined to share what's going on- but it's nice that he noticed. Not everyone does.

Comment

• Haha no worries on the details, just thought it might help to list it out since I'm familiar with the book and the regimen. I have flavored Vit D drops, I just put them in my glass of water in the morning. They taste...waxy? It's weird.

Awesome ridingness! The last time I rode a horse, it really hurt my right leg. I felt like it was being twisted the wrong way. I think I was overdue for a chiropractic visit. I enjoy riding though and have always hoped to get the opportunity to become a better rider.

I'm with you on the lack of poker face. I find myself making angry faces even just imagining scenarios, especially if I'm imagining faces being made in the scenario.
                          Depression Lies

Comment

• Yeah- ever made a face followed by the realization that you're in public? Hate those moments.

I doubt I'll be riding- but I've always liked ground work, and I really miss my shit-shoveling callouses. I actually melted down at my last riding lesson. Surprised me, since horses are usually immune to that crap, but irritated the crap out of the trainer. I did mention that I'd like to work with any horses that need it- but that I realized the fun stuff would probably be left to the actual staff I wonder what was up with your position- since the only pain should be muscle- given how rarely we use those particular muscles.

Waxy? Eew. Would it help to put to put them in a hot drink? Melt the waxiness? When I had drops I put them in my morning tea, but it was Carlesons in coconut oil- so nothing wierd about them.

Comment

• If I get plain drops next time I'll let you know if there's any taste. I can't remember if it's orange or lemon flavored (shit I have to switch for January's Whole30 I guess), so there's a hint of that, but yeah, waxy is the only way I can describe it. A hot drink would probably help, I need to stock up on teas, preferably green as I want to be consistent next month.
                              Depression Lies

Comment

• Last official weigh-in before the Whole 30: 206# ouch I'll be measuring myself probably on Saturday as a baseline.

Thank you for the timely opportunity to get myself back on track, Wonder! Not that I couldn't do a Whole 30 on my own, but it's easier with others. I'm also going to do a Whole 30 on my budget. I'm canceling Netflix (Nooooo!) after I finish season 6 of Bones, that is. I also need to look at other places I'm spending when I don't really need to. I'm not cutting the internet- since I plan on starting a blog- but I sink waay too much time into Netflix that could be spend doing . . . anything else. I did quite well without internet before, and I can't come up with any honest justification that I NEED Netflix. It's really just a time-sink. (I tried to tell myself that I could keep it for documentaries and such- but that's what the library is for.)

I slept much better last night. Apparently, I still need my 5-HTP. Also- FYI- don't take melatonin if you wake up at 1 am if you have to be getting out of bed at 6 am. At least- that's what I'm blaming and not the fact that sleep was so nice I didn't want to be interrupted

I will also be working on more broth, more (non-dairy) ferments, and actually making soups/stews/pot roasts for work. Oh, yeah, and eating vegetables.

Comment

Working...
                                X