No announcement yet.

Going Wild (Drssgchic)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I read books on my phone because I always have that with me. The only problem is that if I read a good one, I want the hardcopy too!
    Cooking Primal with Otter - Journal
    Otter's (Defunct) Primal Log
    "Not baked goods, Professor, baked bads!" ~ The Tick

Comment

• I almost inevitably have a book with me. When I flew back East for a weekend for a wedding I brought two- neither terribly thick, but I thought two was enough. No. I had to pick one up from a bookseller in the Dallas airport on the way home. On the other hand, there's no way I would have found Janet Evanovich otherwise. I tend to shy away from anything on Oprah's booklist or major best sellers- you know- what they sell in airports. She's pure bubblegum for the brain (you know, fun to chew but no nutritional content) but it's not stupid bubblegum like a lot of them are. She just really doesn't take herself seriously. I mean, the good guy is a big, hot, blond named Diesel and the bad guy is a big hottie with black hair named Wulf (Gerewulf Grimorie).

Well folks- during the new member orientation for the local search and rescue last night I realized that I can do the garden/blog thing this spring or I can do EPCSAR training. I'm a clever girl, but I've only got room in my brain for one intense course of study at a time. For EPCSAR it would be two classes and a (full day) practical each week for 12 weeks. (If you get lost around here- the folks that find you are REALLY well trained!) I really should be devoting the same amount of time to learning about gardening right now, since I need a sharp learning curve before I can start doing the things I want to do. Either could technically be put off for a year- but my company just pissed me off by being penny-pinchers, so something that is a potential money maker or at least money neutral rather than a massive money and time drain is looking preferable- no matter how cool the expensive new toys would be. On the other hand, if I'm going to have the gardening thing enough in hand to be able to do EPCSAR next year or at the latest the year after, then I need to DO it. So I'm going to be telling my victems- er- practice garden owners (I need to come up with a snappy name)- that I'm in for this summer.

That does mean, however, that I can slowly start to collect the basics- I have the list of what we'll need for training now. I can also work on my conditioning, which I'm not terribly confident about at the moment. If nothing else, being able to hike for hours and having a good daypack is a good idea.
      http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

Originally Posted by TheFastCat: Less is more more or less

And now I have an Etsy store: CattailsandCalendula

Comment

• I almost always buy a book while travelling. That's definitely a benefit to having a Kindle (mine doesn't have 3G so I still have to plug in to the computer to get the book, or find a free wireless network), I can get a new book relatively easily and very quickly. I like having hard copies when I travel though, it's like a souvenir.
        Depression Lies

Comment

• Part of the preparation for our 9 hour annual trip to Maine was always the last run to the library. Between books for us to read and either audio books or music for everybody, we needed to stock up!

Official weigh-in: 202.5#

So that's back down a bit. Bleeding out is helpful. So is weighing before I eat and barefoot.

The last time I lifted successfully was 11/23. I guess I needed the break, because I'm back to feeling good about my iron lunch. This is also really fasted since I hardly ate last night and didn't have time for Grill Guy to be slow with my order to keep me around. (If I didn't have a big-brother timekeeper for this particular job, I'd be way more inclined to stick around to chat! But getting fired for not adhering to it would be bad.) It seemed to be just fine.

Power Clean
          Bar+5, 5R- 1 set warmup (up 5 from last time)
          Bar=25, 5R- 5 sets- same weight as last time- add 5 next time

Squat Press
          Bar+5, 5R- 5 sets- same weight, add 5 next time- still not sure I'm right on this one, but close enough . . .

Deadlift
          Bar+70, 8R- 4 sets- I added 10 to last week figuring if my grip gave I'd just drop the weight and know better next time. I didn't drop it and it was good to be challenged! I also found out that chalk is fine- so I need to find some of that. I figure keeping my hands dry isn't cheating, since it's not a mechanical advantage. I'll add another 10 if I have the chalk next week. Otherwise, I'd be ok with holding there for a week. I think I also might take a look at those grip strengthener thingies to keep at my desk. That way I can pick it up when I think about it. Which will be more often than if I try to set a time to "work out." It depends on how much they cost- I might just stick with a hard rubber ball that is the center of a horse I have sitting on my desk.
          http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

Comment

• Funny Christmas Quote:

The Supreme Court has ruled that they cannot have a nativity scene in Washington, D.C. This wasn't for any religious reasons. They couldn't find three wise men and a virgin.
            Jay Leno

I read this to one of my co-workers. It was in a work e-mail and I thought it was funny. She goes off on how she thinks it's silly that a courthouse can't have a nativity scene. Um- 1, it was a joke, 2- separation of church and state? Well, yeah, but they swear you in on a Bible, so why can't they have a nativity scene? People get offended too easily and if they don't like it they can just look away.

*facepalm* They use a Bible because for a very long time in the Western/European dominated world that was the gold standard for swearing an oath. Using a Bible does not make them a Christian entity. However, setting up holiday decorations that only apply to one religious tradition among the many that are celebrating at this time of year is saying that the state holds that tradition above all others. That's not right. Because they simply can't accomidate all of them, they should have none of them.

Yes, people are too sensitive on a lot of subjects, but I don't think this is one of them. If someone wishes me Merry Christmas, Happy Kwanzaa, or Merry Yule, I consider that that is their tradition and whether or not I celebrate that holiday myself, the sentiment is the same. I appreciate that they want me to have a good holiday. A secular institution should not have a religious tradition and therefore should not be making statements that apply to a particular one. Of course, if one is part of the dominent one it is hard to see that something like a nativity scene on public grounds is similar to saying that the dominent religion is the only choice. (Particularly since that tradition believes it is the only choice.)

/rant

Well, I officially withdrew my application for the search and rescue group, but in the process, I did find out that they really liked me. So, my goal is to get this gardening/blog thingie squared away so that next spring I can fall off the face of the earth for 12 weeks to join that team. That will also give me time to get some saving done so the cool toys can be purchased with cash, not credit.

In other news- I huuurt. It feels goooood

Comment

• An aside for any men that might be reading this: When you say being friends is ok- on the next date, don't ask if she could see herself with your surname. Really. I mean, unless I'm totally misunderstanding the definition of "friends." I don't think so, though. Not given the number of male friends I have who have never made that suggestion. Sheesh.

Dear Universe:

I appreciate that you are, for the first time in my life, making it clear that I am attractive to the male gender. This might be a little picky- but is it too much to ask to have a few more of the things I'm looking for concentrated in the various ones? One or two good traits just isn't enough for me. (Good being what I'm looking for, not whether or not they are generally good people) And, just to bear in mind, I'm 5'6 or 7. Therefore, I really want 6'2. I'll settle for 5'10. My height or shorter just . . . doesn't work for me. Yes, I am a shallow person.

Much love,

E

In other news- I need new tires. Or I need to get up earlier on snowy mornings so I can drive to work in 4th not 5th But, it's very pretty 'round here right now.

Comment

• Snnnnooowwww I want snooowwwwww
                Depression Lies

Comment

• It's actually a pretty decent snow- a couple of inches instead of one. And I'm not sharing! Ha! I mean . . . If it makes you feel better, I bet it'll be 60 by the end of the week and it'll all be gone again.

When I moved, everyone was wondering why I was going to Colorado instead of Tampa if I wanted to get out of Maryland (those being our three sites.) "But it SNOWS out there?!" Uh huh. That's the point . . . and, no, I don't ski. At the moment.

Comment

• Originally posted by drssgchic View Post
                    When you say being friends is ok- on the next date, don't ask if she could see herself with your surname. Really. I mean, unless I'm totally misunderstanding the definition of "friends." I don't think so, though.
                    You made my eyes cross with that this morning.
                    JOIN THE PANDA SHOW!!! Primal With A Side Of FABULOUS and PANDALOONERY!

Comment

• Oh, it definitly got a "What?" He was joking- some. But given the rest of the conversation, he was also a little serious. Which is too serious for me. I mean, we've only been flirting over omelettes for a couple of months!

Comment

• Omelettes = Lifelong Commitment

Everyone knows that!
                        JOIN THE PANDA SHOW!!! Primal With A Side Of FABULOUS and PANDALOONERY!

Comment

• "I think we should hyphenate, arm-wrestle you for the order"
                          "I think you should first change yours to 'Jackman', I've always wanted to be 'Mrs. Jackman'"
                          Cooking Primal with Otter - Journal
                          Otter's (Defunct) Primal Log
                          "Not baked goods, Professor, baked bads!" ~ The Tick

Comment

• Originally posted by Gay Panda View Post
                            Omelettes = Lifelong Commitment

Everyone knows that!
                            Damnit! See, this was my concern. I mean, him leading me on by knowing exactly how I like my bacon and cheese omelette cooked in butter . . . I guess I should have been suspicious . . . Then there was the lavacious suggestion to make me the Thanksgiving veggies I didn't get this year since I wasn't eating with my own family. You're right, Panda, I should have seen this coming.

On the other hand, how can I be serious about a man that requests his steaks cooked well done? I mean, honestly.

Comment

• Originally posted by ottercat View Post
                              "I think we should hyphenate, arm-wrestle you for the order"
                              "I think you should first change yours to 'Jackman', I've always wanted to be 'Mrs. Jackman'"
                              LMAO- yeah, I've always wanted to be Mrs. Jackman, too . . .

Comment

• Originally posted by ottercat View Post
                                "I think we should hyphenate, arm-wrestle you for the order"
                                Only if he changes his first name to Hugh...

My boyfriend and I would have the most awkward hyphenated name. His is Anglo-Saxon and mine is Russian (with Polish spelling).
                                Depression Lies

Comment

Working...
                                X