No announcement yet.

Going Wild (Drssgchic)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I would like it stated for the record that Meadow is awesome! She sent me home with four "Lesser Canadian" geese and some basic instructions on how to clean them quickly. She also sent me home with a doe's "backstrap" (loin) to try. That's dinner tonight- can't wait!

As far as the geese- I can say that I was not at all squeemish about the butchering. This is a huge relief, although not that much of a surprise. Now all I have to wonder about is whether or not I can kill a chicken I raised- since plucking it shouldn't be a problem. Aside from the fact that it's super time-consuming and I'm not very good at it, yet. However, breasting them out did let me get the bulk of the meat off of three of them in way less time than the one that got plucked. Which was good- because I was doing it outside on the deck and the sun was going down. And I now have four better-than-organic livers whenever I get around to OtterCat's bacon-wrapped livers.

In semi-related news- I need to be aware of my audience before I gush about something. I squicked out my vegetarian friend twice in one day. Once because I was talking to her about my blog idea and mentioned that I thought everyone knew how to clean a turkey carcass. She winced. Later, (she had been quite sick recently) I said I'd offer her some bone broth, *wince*but I don't have any of the vegetable variety. (it then occurred to me that if it was just veggies it would just be broth as veggies don't have bones- and I should probably learn how to make that for my blog) So when I saw her on Sunday, I had to say I had a "chore" that afternoon and couldn't stick around- since she wouldn't appreciate me bouncing up and down because I was about to get the chance to pull apart a recently living animal.

Speaking of veggies- I didn't get to play in horse poop over the weekend. The "humus mulch" really was mulch. Boo. However, I did meet some very nice people and I got to play outside for a couple of hours which I wouldn't have done otherwise. I also found out that I'm soft. An hour and a half or two hours of rakeing with gloves shouldn't leave a raw spot on my thumb. Ok, they were riding gloves, not "work" gloves- but they did have leather palms. Either way- sad. Just sad.
    http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

Originally Posted by TheFastCat: Less is more more or less

And now I have an Etsy store: CattailsandCalendula

Comment

• I certainly don't know how to clean a turkey carcass, I always assumed you just pulled off the meat until it was as clean as you could get... does it go beyond that? Vegetarians make me sad though. I'm glad my sister doesn't mind me talking about how I need to eat meat when we're talking about help, even though she chooses not to.
      Depression Lies

Comment

• No, you've got it Wonder- but you probably recognize that it goes beyond what you can get with a knife- you have to get your fingers in there. I mean, the one I got my hands on had more meat than I was expecting- but most of the surprises came when I was actually pulling the bones apart to stuff them in my little crock pot. But there was a lot of easily visible meat on the outside that couldn't be gotten with the knife.

I don't mind vegetarians as long as it is a matter of health or environmental concern. Are they right? No. But at least they're thinking about it, you know? But it does irk me that they tend to be even queasier than most. Life involves blood and death- grow up and deal with it. I'm with you, though. I have a veggie friend that I have talked nutrition with because she knows I eat meat and I know she doesn't, and that's ok. To each their own. Now my former veggie cousin who is so proud that her baby boy loves soy does make me cringe . . .
        http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

Comment

• Oh man it crushes my soul to a fine pulp when I hear about people feeding their children soy. I get so used to these ideas of what is bad for your body that I forget it's not common knowledge (like margarine being terrible for you, I thought that was common knowledge too, but doctor's still advocate its use).
          Depression Lies

Comment

• I know! I do dearly want to tell her no! I want to have a manly little cousin! But she's older than me and she was a conciencious vegetarian for a long time- so I just don't feel like I know enough to really explain it in a way that is irrefutable. Then, of course, she may well feel bad for all of the soy she used to eat. (I have to wonder if that might have caused/exaserbated her fertility issues- they had to work pretty hard to get the little guy)

Comment

• Dinner last night was venison backstrap and a baked acorn squash. Simple, easy, soooo goooood. It's wierd- I know that good food is yummy, but I frequently eat things that are less satisfying just because. Lunch yesterday was a free taco bar (meat, cheese, sour cream, lettuce) at work. Instead of the steak slices and butternut squash from home. Which would have been better.

I had the dangedest time rolling out of bed this morning. I almost called out- I still have a little sick time left- but my next "sick" day will be spent at the DMV getting my car registered in the right state. Which I can't afford until they pay us later this week. Dang it.

Comment

• It's amazing how one day you can say "No bad stuff!" and stick to it, and another day you can say the same thing and eat 50 ice cream tubs. Old habits die hard? Stupid hormones/brain chemicals? I seem to have a harder time when I'm eating higher carb, so that kind of sucks. Guess I'm just a low carb kind of gal.

My company just has PTO to use for sick days and vacations and whatnot. I think I can accumulate up to 40 days total. I have about 5 days worth
                Depression Lies

Comment

• But it does irk me that they tend to be even queasier than most
                  Uuuugggh and they all believe that animal products make them sick! Never tell a vegetarian they just ate animal products otherwise you get the histrionic projectile vomiting. Went to eat Thai food with a vegan friend-of-a-friend who was going on about animal products, then she doused her spring roll with fish sauce saying, "This stuff is so good, I wonder what's in it?" Of course I didn't tell her. Also had a really irritating Indian co-worker who liked to brag that she'd never eaten animal products. I finally told her the sushi she snarfed off my plate at lunch had FAKE CRAB in it. She said, "That's why I was so sick later, right?" and NO she wasn't sick. A few days later she was at it again, bragging she'd never eaten animal products.

Game: yum! I wish someone would take me duck hunting so I could get some ducks. I spent one afternoon during "chicken day" at the local slaughterhouse. They process them so efficiently it makes me worry that I would take too long and the meat would spoil
                  Cooking Primal with Otter - Journal
                  Otter's (Defunct) Primal Log
                  "Not baked goods, Professor, baked bads!" ~ The Tick

Comment

• Once I ate steak in front of a vegetarian friend, who was so grossed out that she left the table in the restaurant to compose herself in the can.
                    JOIN THE PANDA SHOW!!! Primal With A Side Of FABULOUS and PANDALOONERY!

Comment

• I think it was more of a "it's more or less nutritious and it's free." I've just figured out that I can get a horse property on 40 acres for under $200k. I don't know how far it is from work, etc, but- cool! Of course, a $200k mortgage would stretch my income to the limit, so I need to get in the habit of saving. As evidenced by the really cool, and not strictly necessary, $10 tights I picked up at Target when I was there getting my allergy meds. Hmph.

I grossed her out another time when we were comparing recent surgeries- mine was my knee, hers was her ankle. Apparently cadaver ligaments are gross? I thought it was practical considering mine had proven to not be up to the challenge. Not to mention the massive scar I avoided because one day I do intend to have good legs again

According to Erin (Meadow), the geese are actually fine for a couple of days as long as I keep them cool, so you'd be fine, espicially if you're the one doing the hunting.

That's awesome, Panda!

I had an equine anatomy class in college taught by one of the cow guys (ag school). At one point he was talking about intra-muscular fat and wandered off on this explanation of the fat and how it is used to grade steak. There was a vegetarian sitting in the front of the room making "I threw up a little bit" faces now and again. I was sitting in the back of the room thinking how much I'd love to have a good (non-cafeteria) steak.

Comment

• Hello. My name is Elizabeth. I'm a bookaholic.

In my defense, the $30 I spent is at least $60 worth of books (hello thrift stores!) and it was legit since they were (mostly) gardening books for my intensive learning I need to be doing right now for my blog that's probably coming into being soon. The other two, an old, hard-bound Tale of Two Cities and a copy of Silent Spring were because I want to read them both and now I have them for when I get around to it. And who doesn't need more hard-bound Dickens for decorating and looking smart?

In other news- I need to not nuke the Grecian Skillet Steak. That needs to be kept for warm weather when I can eat it cold. It overcooked the very delicious rare steak. And it will happen with the rest of the leftovers, too, since it's served with squash that needs to be heated. Well, good to know for the future.

Last night I got in my sprinting and an hour walking on the treadmill. The required reading helps get me on the treadmill. After all, nothing else to do while I'm walking- and I'm not so good about doing my reading at home. The sprinting was 30-second drills. 3 rounds of punching, one of roundkicks. I need to work on controlling the recoil on the kicks and the punches are not pretty, but I think I can still do some damage. I kind of wanted to curl up and die after each one, so I think I did it right

I ended up just having a glass of keifr for dinner and then a mug of hot turkey broth before bed for my protein and to wash down the supps. After I got off the phone with the grill guy it was a little late, and I wasn't really hungry. What can I say? Persistance is appreciated in a guy.

Just to depress myself after I got done at the gym, I weighed myself on the way out. 205#. It's an unofficial weight, but not good. This is the problem with ignoring my weight. It's doesn't like to be ignored in favor of mental issues, so it adds mass to regain my attention. But, you know what? I'll care . . . next week. Yeah, then.

Comment

• I forgot about my dream! The first dream I remember had something to do with plants. It was a very green dream. Not that surprising considering my recent reading material.

Just before I woke up, I dreamed that somehow my experiment had blown up the rest of the world outside of my laboratory. Oops?

Comment

• I have a Kindle and usually spend about the cost of a standard paperback for a book ($7.99-9.99). I like having physical books so I still buy ones that I'm really looking forward to (especially if I can get it signed). I like to think it saves me money...but it also makes me more inclined to read, which means I buy books more often.

Not lately though. It annoys me that I will willingly spend money on crap (food and household items we could live without but are helpful to have) but not books for my brain!
                            Depression Lies

Comment

• Haha interesting dream. I had a sexy one involving Nathan Fillion a couple of nights ago. Mmm...
                              Depression Lies

Comment

• Can I trade you dreams? Hellooo Capt'n!

I need to really buckle down and look at my spending habits. There are things I need- like fresh oil in my car- and there are things I don't- like another Starbucks drink- but I'm having a hard time giving them the right priority.

Mom keeps trying to talk me into a Kindle or something similiar, but part of my book thing is that I want them to read in the future, too. Also, did you know that it takes more oil to make a Kindle book than to make a physical book?

Comment

Working...
                                X