Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Going Wild (Drssgchic)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by drssgchic View Post
    Yesterday was a low-function day, but I got in decent food (except for the GF pizza last night, but, eh) and all my supps. I even knocked out a blog post to go up at some point in the future. Did you know we only have about 60 years left of soil for agriculture? Scary.

    I skipped yoga this morning, but the plan is to get in some gardening today, so that should account for my exercise. As much as I hate killing trees, those damn aspen sprouts have got to go. I'm trying to grow grass, damnit! They'll replant themselves soon enough, anyway. Aspen are not suited to being an accent tree. They like groves, and they're willing to make one, if that's what it takes.

    Just had breakfast- bacon and eggs- and all my supps up to this point in the day, so it's a good start. Now I just have to decide if I want to garden now, or go write during the heat of the day and garden a bit later. That might be the way to go, since I'm still a bit blue-white from winter.

    Oh- or go get more plants, first . . . That might be my first stop. What good are tomatoes without basil?
    when you say things like that it makes my inner aluminum hat wearing nutball want to be entirely self sufficient with cows crapping on the fields and rooms full of guns to fend off the hungry cannibals that will be attacking because i grow food and have steaks on legs
    beautiful
    yeah you are

    Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
    lol

    Comment


    • That's more or less my long-term plan, actually. Recently I asked a friend (who's had about a zillion useful-type jobs, so he knows stuff) if I could invite him to live in my compound when I get it set up. I think he thought I was kidding . . .
      http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

      Originally Posted by TheFastCat: Less is more more or less

      And now I have an Etsy store: CattailsandCalendula

      Comment


      • I compost everything that is compostable and piddle with growing a few veg here in my yard... but not exactly a lot.
        A few cherry tomatoes, a squash, herbs.
        Perhaps my tiny little plot will get larger... It is just this year back in use from a hiatus since I didn't put anything at all out for a few seasons (we have 2 full but weird/warm seasons a year here) being addle headed.

        But my money does vote loudly at the market though.
        Organic produce whenever possible, local and organic when possible too, and the same with meats and dairy... also adding in some meats that we hunt/fish ourselves.
        You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.
        ~Friedrich Nietzsche
        And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

        Comment


        • We're working on composting more. We're pretty good about our kitchen scraps. The yard scraps are a little tougher, since everything is so dry, and I, ah, forget to water things

          I just got permission from my roommate to get a small chest freezer so I can preserve more from the garden (fingers crossed on a better turn-out) and buy my meat in bulk. As soon as I have it, I'm going to see what I can do about buying 1/4 cow.
          http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

          Originally Posted by TheFastCat: Less is more more or less

          And now I have an Etsy store: CattailsandCalendula

          Comment


          • Got in the tomatoes, peppers, some herbs, one pumpkin, and a squash. Now I just need to figure out whether I want to do the root veggies in the garden at the house, or at the one with the automatic waterer

            Food wasn't so hot, but I got some movement and sun. Just FYI- don't forget to change into conventional sneakers before turning over your garden plot. Barefoot shoes aren't very helpful.
            http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

            Originally Posted by TheFastCat: Less is more more or less

            And now I have an Etsy store: CattailsandCalendula

            Comment


            • Originally posted by bloodorchid View Post
              when you say things like that it makes my inner aluminum hat wearing nutball want to be entirely self sufficient with cows crapping on the fields and rooms full of guns to fend off the hungry cannibals that will be attacking because i grow food and have steaks on legs
              And whats wrong with that??? <adjusting his tin foil hat> I LIKE my guns! and chiken poop in the field.... OK, I don't have cows YET.....

              Comment


              • I still need chickens and guns. I'm so far behind the nutball curve!
                http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

                Originally Posted by TheFastCat: Less is more more or less

                And now I have an Etsy store: CattailsandCalendula

                Comment


                • Originally posted by drssgchic View Post
                  I still need chickens and guns. I'm so far behind the nutball curve!
                  If you get chickens, that will help your compost pile grow.... I compost all of the bedding from the chicken houses, and chickens are prodigious producers of poop....

                  Comment


                  • It takes a lot of effort not to wear mytinfoil napoleon captain hat daily so i could learn to be content with one gun and not making use of every bit of organic matter at all times every day in preparation of the nigh apocalypse

                    however my cows will poop everywhere on the off season
                    beautiful
                    yeah you are

                    Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
                    lol

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by bloodorchid View Post
                      It takes a lot of effort not to wear mytinfoil napoleon captain hat daily so i could learn to be content with one gun and not making use of every bit of organic matter at all times every day in preparation of the nigh apocalypse

                      however my cows will poop everywhere on the off season
                      They don't poop during the on season?

                      Comment


                      • Ill litterbox train them
                        beautiful
                        yeah you are

                        Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
                        lol

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by bloodorchid View Post
                          Ill litterbox train them
                          that'l be one hell of a litter box! use straw.... it's compostable..

                          Comment


                          • I was feeling pretty damn good this afternoon. I must be getting better- I considered it a non-day because all I did was a blog post, checking both gardens, and going to knitting. (I didn't go to the horse rescue. That's a must for tomorrow.) But by the end of knitting, I wanted to cry. For no fucking good reason. I just did. I ended up leaving earlier than usual and I did cry on the way home. I just finished a pint of icecream (all real ingredients) and I'm working on getting toasted. Been a while since I've done that, but I just . . . don't want to feel. Not tonight.

                            Had a friend tell me recently that I just needed to get over my depression. My past was ruling me and I needed to let it go. From a couple of other things he's said, I think he has had no experience with serious mental illness. Which is great- for him. How do you just "get over" being side-swiped by the need to cry? There's nothing to fix to make me not cry. It's just there. Trust me, buddy, this is not something I do because it feels good.
                            http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

                            Originally Posted by TheFastCat: Less is more more or less

                            And now I have an Etsy store: CattailsandCalendula

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by drssgchic View Post
                              How do you just "get over" being side-swiped by the need to cry? There's nothing to fix to make me not cry. It's just there.
                              Hugs. A pint of ice cream is where I would start, so we have that in common. Of course, ice cream and I do not have the healthiest of relationships...

                              Comment


                              • That's why I only buy it a pint at a time. Otherwise I may well have polished off a half gallon.

                                Happy birthday to me. I'm starting it with a hangover.
                                http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

                                Originally Posted by TheFastCat: Less is more more or less

                                And now I have an Etsy store: CattailsandCalendula

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X