Diver Girl goes Primal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diver Girl goes Primal

I grew up thin and athletic. I never had to worry about what I ate – I could eat whatever I desired and I was thin and muscular. I had tons of energy. Growing up we were pretty poor but we ate really healthy. My mom was a hippy so we ate lots of veggies and fruit. I had my first baby at age 18, lost the baby weight within 6 weeks. Had a second baby at age 20 and again lost the weight within 6 or 8 weeks. I stayed the same weight for the next 6 years until my 3rd child was born. I was misdiagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis and after reading an article in Lancet that suggested that eating animal protein was the reason for the arthritic symptoms switched to a strict vegetarian diet with NO fat. Thus begun an 8 year vegetarian odyssey. The first 6 years I was strict vegan with little to no fat. The last 2 years I started eating small amounts of dairy again, mostly cheese. By the end of those 8 years I had gained a total of 50 pounds and had no energy. I was trying to walk and exercise but there were days I could barely get myself moving. I managed to keep up with my 4 kids and work but I was dragging all the time.
    I decided it was time for a change and I read Eat Right for Your Blood Type. It made sense so I started eating meat, cut out wheat, corn, dairy and potatoes – started eating even more veggies than I had as a vegetarian. I lost 35 pounds and had more energy than I knew what to do with. I still did not exercise but I looked and felt better than I had in years. That was 12 years ago. Since then my weight has crept up with small increments of decreases.
    I spent the last year or two working hard at exercise and getting fit. I spent a lot of time counting calories. I have worked out with a trainer that inferred that I must be eating more than 1,500 calories or I would be losing weight. I have lost only about 20 pounds but I have gained muscle too. I lost one dress size. I now wear the same dress size that I wore 40 pounds ago. Everyone that knows me would tell you that I am one of the healthiest eaters they know. I believe in eating fresh, local, organic, delicious food. I thought I had it dialed in…. boy was I wrong…
    After talking to my wellness coach, she suggested that I consider low-carb. Atkins was the only low-carb regime that I knew about so on August 15th I started low-carbing with Atkins but I hated it. There was too much reliance on bars and meal replacements and I was hungry! Later the same week, I stumbled upon Marks Daily Apple and fell head over heels. Here was someone that I could get behind. Fresh, locally sourced organic REAL food. I have gone all the way with regards the diet except for a couple of parties where I indulged with a drink or several. Even at the parties I have been able to eat within the Primal Blueprint. I already walk 4-7 hours per week with my dog. I have sprinted on two occasions (my knees are not so happy) at the beach while barefoot – my dog thinks this is a great new game! On Friday, my new barefoot shoes arrived (Merrell Pace Gloves).
    Day one of Primal Blueprint 30 day challenge –
    B – coffee with 1 TBS of coconut oil – skipped the food part as part of Intermittent Fast challenge (does it count if I had coconut oil?)
    L – Big Ass Salad – 1 fairly large heirloom tomato, 4 cups of organic salad greens, 4 ounces grilled organic chicken breast, ¼ cup homemade guacamole, 1 ounce of feta cheese. No dressing needed – the tomato was really juicy. Also, ate ½ of a Larabar (cherry).
    S – 2 coconut chocolate cookies (Primal Food Lover’s recipe)
    D – Beef Tips, mashed potatoes (with organic butter, cream cheese and sour cream) & Caprese Salad (Heirloom Tomatoes, organic basil, fresh mozzarella, olive oil, balsalmic vinegar)
    Activity – Walked 1.5 hours total today in my barefoot shoes!
    Diver Girl goes Primal Journal

Great first day! Good job sticking to it, and good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by robotunicr0n View Post
      Great first day! Good job sticking to it, and good luck!
      Thanks! There are so many that I did not think anyone would read it.

Comment

Forgot to post this before I went to bed last night -

Day 2 –
        Slept terribly last night. Theoretically I should have gotten a little over 7 hours of sleep however I had a lot of trouble falling asleep (maybe I wanted it too much?) and then I woke up 4 or 5 times (this is rarely an issue for me). I had bizarre dreams too.
        B – 2 eggs, 1 oz cheddar cheese, 2 cups spinach, coffee w/1 TBS coconut oil
        L – Big Ass Salad – 4 cups greens, 1 cup pea shoots, 1 oz feta cheese, 1 med-lg heirloom tomato, ½ small avocado
        S – 2 Coconut Chocolate Chip Cookies (Food Lovers Primal recipe)
        D – 2 cups Swiss Chard cooked with onion, butter, & a touch of bacon grease, ¼ lb spicy chicken sausage made by a local company, some marinara sauce and parmesan cheese. 2 squares 85% dark chocolate.
        Walked 45 minutes in my barefoot shoes with my dog before dinner.

Comment

Day 3 -
          Wow the dreams I have been having are CRAZY! I went to bed earlier than normal and slept harder than usual but I had crazy dreams. Maybe from going into deeper sleep? I slept a solid 7.5 hours - really good for me. Did not even hear the hubby's alarm. I don't have an alarm and I usually get up earlier than he does.

Food so far today - the rest will follow -
          B - coffee with coconut oil, 2 eggs, 2 cups chopped swiss chard, 1 oz feta
          L - Big Ass Salad - 4 cups greens, 1 cup pea shoots, 3 oz chicken, 1 oz feta, 1/2 avocado, and med-lg heirloom tomato
          S - The last 2 coconut chocolate chip paleo cookies

Comment

Day 3 continued - Perfect Primal Dinner - So YUMMY!
            1/3 lb grass fed burger patty w/Gruyere cheese
            Artichokes with Kerry Gold butter
            Heirloom Caprese Salad (Tomatoes, basil & fresh mozarella)

Probably eating too much cheese?

I am a happy, happy girl!

Walked for 1.5 hours in my barefoot shoes. My dog went psycho half way through our walk and nearly tore my wrist off!
            Last edited by NorCalGirlDiver; 09-14-2011, 08:29 PM.

Comment

There are lots of journals, but inevitably yours will get read a lot over time since whenever you post it goes to the top. Keep chuggin! Great job!

Comment

The barefoot walking will definitely pay off. I've been walking "barefoot" in water shoes 8 hours a day all week and my legs are definitely getting a workout! Not that we're supposed to worry about calories, but it seems evident that I'm expending more effort and energy walking this way. I land toes first and let my heel gently touch down. And the aches I usually had by the end of my shift? All gone! I thought I had bad feet all these years. Nope. Just bad shoes.
                Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Day 4 - I should probably note here that I started eating Primal on 8/15 so this is actually 30 days of eating right but Day 4 of the Challenge. The only bad thing that I have ingested is alcohol! And I have not had any of that in a week (I did really overindulge last Thursday!)

I know I shouldn't be a slave to the scale but I was curious so I stepped on today - I shouldn't have. I have not lost anything in the last two weeks. I feel thinner and my clothes are slightly looser but I feel fantastic so I am not going to worry for now. So far today -
                  B - Coffee with coconut oil, 2eggs, 2 cups spinach, a smidge of feta cheese and a pat of butter
                  L - Big Ass Salad - 4 cups of greens, 1/2 avocado, 1 heirloom tomato, 1.5 cups of caprese salad, 1.5 cups of shredded Mexican beef, 1 oz feta cheese

I already know that I will not be eating dinner - tonight is game night! We get together with a bunch of friends every Thursday for games. As I stated above, I overindulged on Mongolian Vodka last week. That will definitely not be happening this week. We all bring appetizers to share and I have been able to avoid all the grain filled crap. I have been bringing olives and cheese and salami. Probably just cheese today - don't think I have anything else in my pantry/fridge. I will report tomorrow how the evening went. I am not even planning on drinking any wine.

Oh - and I did the PBF LHT workout before lunch! I don't really know why I worked out with weights all those years - I weigh plenty! Either that or I have gotten weaker.

Comment

Thanks Knifegill! I am loving my Merrell's. I have been wearing Tom's classics to work and they feel a lot like going barefoot too. They are a bit casual for women's shoes at work. I run around my house barefoot all the time and wear my Merrell's when I run errands or go for a walk. I am running/walking in a 3.5 mile race next Wednesday in San Francisco and I plan on wearing them for that. I have not yet run in the Merrell's but I have to trust that my knees won't hurt as much as wearing conventional shoes will. I am going to try and run as much of the race as possible but the most I was able to run previously before taking a walking break was 1/2 mile.

Comment

Running barefoot is a lot different. You'll find yourself sort of hunkered down and gliding. While sprinting is always done on tip-toes, distance running while barefoot is a whole different game. I found out I can't go as fast...
                      Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Questions -
                        What if I don't like fish? I also don't like fish supplements (fishy burps!)
                        What if the scale never moves?
                        Will I every get up enough confidence to check out the cross fit gym across the street from my office?

Comment

1) If you have the money for grass-fed animal fats and other healthy sources of omega-3 rich (or at least balanced) food, don't worry about not eating fish. Just make it a point to avoid foods high in omega-6 and you won't be doing a balancing act at all.

2) If your body transformation achieves no net loss of weight, you'll look like a body builder, depending on weight. Enjoy. Just kidding, but you've never talked about your actual weight. Just that you've gained and lost some. If you are only a few pounds over where you think you should be, don't even worry about it. I lose, on average, a pound a month. I was 215 pounds a few years (total doughboy) ago and now I'm 170. But I look like a ken doll, so I'm not worried about it. I should supposedly weigh even less, but my abs are already defined and I'm not giving up strength via muscle degradation just because the government wants me to. I like the scale, but the mirror tells me more. A little salt and water will gain me five pounds in a day. Why pay attention to it? Watch the spare tire line for a better update!

3) Screw crossfit and any other system designed to empty your bank account. Check out your neighborhood playground for all the equipment you'll need.
                          Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Wow - thanks Knifegill! You made me feel a lot better. I have been buying 1/2 beefs for the past few years from a local rancher that grows them as a hobby - totally grass fed, free ranging on his ranch out by the coast. We go through about 1/2 per year. I have a friend that started a business and I wanted to help him out but he insists on finishing them with grain so I went back to the other guy. I have been worried about the DHA - Omega 3.

I would really like to lose 2 pants sizes - I estimate based on previous weights that it would be about 40-50 lbs. I have always been densely muscular (according to my doctor and my massage therapist) so it is tough to tell (I always weigh quite a bit more than people estimate). That being said I am more focused on the clothing fitting, feeling strong and healthy which is one of the reasons I have not posted my weights.

Last night I did well - no alcohol and for dinner/snacks - cheese, kale chips, almonds and about 1/4 of a peach

Comment

Day 5 of the challenge -
                              B - 3 eggs, 2 cups of spinach, pat of butter, coffee w/coconut oil
                              L - 1.5 cups of Mexican Shredded beef, cheese & an avocado
                              D - 1/2 cup of Mexican Shredded beef, cheese, sour cream, tomatoes, cilantro & homemade guacamole.
                              No exercise - let's call it a rest day!

Update at 10:25 pm = ate 2 squares of dark chocolate and took a 1.5 hour cemetery tour - walking up and down hills. Not strenuous but active.
                              Last edited by NorCalGirlDiver; 09-16-2011, 10:27 PM. Reason: added update

Comment

Working...
                              X