I am convinced wish me luck

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am convinced wish me luck

Mark it has taken me almost a year to be pursueded to take your challenge. I have followed your blog and printed out recipes

I was always health conscious even though I was vegetarian for many years...I didn't realize that the aches and pains, mood swings (still have those)and lack of energy were food related.

I have been on Atkins since January and it really helped my cravings. I am more like 90/10 than 80/20 but I do fall of the bandwagon.

I still didnt like all the processed foods. I stopped eating and buying them. It has been a huge learning curve for me and my family. I discovered I love to cook and experiment with recipes. My family have at least one cooked meal a day.

We get our veg, eggs and goats cheese delivered to our house. All organic and local with no preservatives etc. We try to limit the processed food we do buy to less than 5 ingredients in the lable. I even have the kids (in their teens) checking lables and putting things back because of weird ingredients. They are all skinny so I tell them that it will just help them not get zits ;-)

We use coconut, olive oil and real butter (no more mazola and margarine) .

I will be able to do this challenge till the 28th of the month, then I will have to take a break for the Jewish New Year as part of our requirements is to have honey and sweetened food to symbolize a sweet year. I will be using raw honey and not purified gunk.

I'm really excited to start. Will post recipes.

Start weight and goal

Start weight before challenge: 59.3 kilo (130.73)
    Goal: 57 kilo (125.66)
    Height: 5.3"
    Exercise goal: 2-3 times a week swimming, 2 times a week stretches/toning, 2 times a week weight training and cardio

13/09/2011 weight: 59 kilo (130.07)

Comment

Welcome!

I will be able to do this challenge till the 28th of the month, then I will have to take a break for the Jewish New Year as part of our requirements is to have honey and sweetened food to symbolize a sweet year. I will be using raw honey and not purified gunk.
      Grok would say tribal celebrations come first (unless they will make you sick).
      Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Comment

I like Grok

Now I like Grok! I think that part of living healthy is not feeling guilty. The 80% 20% rule is a good one to go by. Also one should be aware that during the holidays celebrations should not be an all out vikings feast but you can forget about a diet...
        Last edited by loligoss; 09-12-2011, 10:56 PM. Reason: forgot to add that I like groks thinking

Comment

Recipes as promised

Broccoli bake

1-2 tbs chia seeds
          2-3 cups broccoli cooked (steamed al dante)
          3 eggs
          1 tbs olive oil
          coconut oil to grease the pan
          1/4 cup goats cheese (hard yellow grated cheese) - the smellier the better

Mash the cooked cauliflower, add the cheese, eggs and chia seeds
          Add any flavoring you choose (I use salt, pepper, garlic and italian herbs)

Bake in oven at 375 for about 40 minutes.

Tomato sauce:
          use tomatoes that are on their way out but are not bad
          I peel the tomatoes by placing the tomatoes in hot water after cutting an x into the top and bottom
          Chop the tomatoes and place them in a pot
          Add water to cover (almost)
          add 1 small tomato puree (no additives + sugar in it)
          add 1 tbs Worcestershire sauce
          salt, pepper Tabasco and chili to taste
          simmer for a long time
          In the meantime saute green onions and leeks in coconut oil/olive oil
          Add the sauteed onions and leeks to the tomato sauce
          Once the tomatoes have simmered for 30 minutes (for 10 tomatoes)
          Switch the gas/hob/cooker off and leave covered for several minutes
          Mine is now going in the fridge because I haven't decided how to use it yet. I might make eggs with the sauce for breakfast

Comment

Steep learning curve

Cant have so much food. Tried to have two meals with meat yesterday and I feel sick today and I gained weight..not worried about the latter.

Made a great dessert though:

Frozen berries (5 blackberries) mixed with coconut cream, desiccated coconut, cocoa nibs and cinnamon. Left out the nuts as I'm weaning myself off them at least for the next couple of weeks.

Comment

Today:
              Coffee and cream and then again Double espresso and cream
              Shakshuka (see recipe http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread37813.html)
              Salad: Mr Peanut butter bread crumbs (about 1 slice), 6 blackberries, lettuce, 2 cucumbers and 5% cottage cheese

I'm stuffed haven't decided what I will have for supper yet.

Comment

My veg arrived and it includes tiny spaghetti squash. It was so neat I mw it and scraped into a bowl with my tomato sauce, a can of tuna and warmed it up for about a minute in the MW.
                Ate it with labane (soured cheese not cream)
                Had tea with coconut milk to finish the meal off yum

My delivery also included raw honey with a honey comb in the jar. I have not seen honey combs since I was a kid.

Got to get some sleep in at least 4 hours till it's time to get up

Comment

15th of Sep

Breakfast: If you don't take into account tasting the roasted onions I made this morning (tasted a few slices, yum yum) ...consisted of organic avocado (3 times the price of regular), mashed up and mixed with olive oil on two slices of peppers (pepper boats).
                  Shakshuka see recipe in recipe thread or above

Mid morning: 10 minutes of Sun whilst having coffee and cream in our office cafeteria

Lunch: It's now 14:16 and I don't feel like eating yet will probably skip it today

Supper: Will see what to make

Stress: lots of it...mainly my kid who just moved to junior high is using his primal fight instinct and is in trouble for the second time since starting school...aggghhhhhhh

Comment

I see where my problems lie...the evening meal.

After being summoned to my kids school. On route buying from the organic store buying some nuts (tasted 5 brazil nuts in the store) etc...I went to my toning class and then came home to eat.

Made a salad with peppers, lettuce, roasted onion, anchovies, tuna and spaghetti squash with tomato sauce left over from yesterday. If I would have stopped there I would have been ok.

I had a bowl of coconut cream, Mr peanut butter bread with fruit preserve, 5 blackberries, and a coffee with cream.

I really need to stop eating so much in the evening.

Comment

Cooking for Sabbath. I don't cook on Sabbath so I make everything on Friday. Lucky I don't work then.

This morning made Elana's Paleo Bread..really good it's hubby's favorite bread. Nuttela from Elana's pantry used organic agave as I didn't know what other sweetener would go with hazelnuts. I'm in the midst of making Sara Farguso's egg cupcakes but I unpaleo them as I add heavy cream, and goat's cheese. This time for veg I used 3 roasted onions and a piece from a roasted pumpkin roasted.

Earlier in the morning I roasted cauliflower/broccoli and potatoes. I plan to sear my chicken breasts after marinading them in coconut and curry.

Comment

Just got back from a social gathering and I didn't eat anything there. I was not hungry at all and even though there was pleanty I could eat I felt that if I don't need it why eat it.

I went round the table with hubby and told him what he shouldn't put on his plate. He really made wise choices.

The reason I wasn't hungry was because I'm going by Marks 80% 20% rule. This morning we had home made ice-cream with lindt mint chocolate for the chocolate chips in the ice cream (full fat cream, sour cream, 2 tsp of coconut palm sugar, 1 tbs vanilla extract).

We ran out of heavy cream so co cream was used in my coffee and tea today.

I made nuttela from Elana's pantry it uses 5 tbs of agave but I think it's worth the carbs since I only had a heaped tsp mixed with berries, 1/2 a nectarine and coconut cream for dessert. The best dessert.

I also had (Wheat Belly's author recipe) biscotti dipped in chocolate. Yum Yum

Of course I had chicken, hamburger, roasted broccoli and a huge salad at lunch too.

I went to the gym did 40 minutes on the cycle and 5 minutes on a vibrating machine which releases muscle and works on your fat cells.

On Friday I made egg cup muffins (Everyday paleo) with roasted pumpkin and onions used as the veg.

Paleo bread, sitting in fridge will take to work tomorrow for breakfast or lunch.

Chicken soup (eaten friday night, left over chicken from it is in fridge to add to a stir fry, the soup will be good for a broth so I'm freezing it)
                        Hubby made schnitzel for the kids.
                        Chicken, whole chicken roasted with a splash of white wine, salt, onion bits
                        Roasted broccoli and cauliflower
                        Roasted potatoes (for kids and 1 for hubby)
                        Couscous (for kids)
                        Curried chicken breast (marinated in curry paste +curry powder and coconut cream and then pan seared)

Biscotti dipped in chocolate (86%)
                        Peanut butter and chocolate bites (these defrost fast...1 cup of peanut butter mixed into melted chocolate (about 2 oz of chocolate) and then frozen. Yum yum. I wonder what would help them not melt so fast

I did have some macadamias and I'm on day 11 of TOM. A bit frustrated.

Comment

Wow what a great time.

Play was done with hubby. We just stayed up half the night laughing about nonsense.

Down to my original goal weight this morning. yey yey yey. With having a chocolaty weekend. It's all about portions and proportions.

Gave the kids meat sandwiches for their breakfast break at school.

I think I will take a smoked salmon sandwich for lunch using paleo bread. Will see once hubby is up what he wants for lunch.

Comment

Date morning

Played hooky from work this morning and went on the new tram in Jerusalem, Israel. Cool and fun.

Had brunch in cafe: salad, cheese, omelet, tuna salad, olives. Ate till satisfied. Ignored the bread. Hubby had one piece of wholemeal bread.
                            Hubby had fruit juice and I had a plain bottle of seltzer.
                            Hubby finished off with a mug of cappuccino. I had an Americano. I took a sip of his Cappucino and it was far too rich for me. A few months back I would have downed the cappuccino without thinking about it. Funny how taste buds change.

Got to work very late (2 pm) and plan to leave at 20:30 as we need to work off what we ate ;-).

Had an espresso with cream at work at 16:00pm. Don't think I will eat before the work out and then we will see if I even want supper or just a quick drink.

Loving the primal way of life.

Comment

Never got to the work out as we had to both work late. Then remembered that there was no coconut oil or coconut cream left in the house so went shopping.

This morning I made sandwiches for work.
                              Paleo bread (4 slices to make two sandwiches) with mascarpone cheese, lettuce and smoked salmon. Does food get any tastier than that?
                              1 baby bell cheese sandwiched between two sun dried tomatoes
                              1 egg cupcake (the ones I made on Friday). I am now comfortably full.

For lunch I packed a salad with a whole avocado, lettuce, tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers and sauerkraut. Gave hubby the left over curried chicken breasts and same salad box as mine.

I hope I will get to the gym tonight. Supper will be yogurt with rhubarb, home made nuttela and Mr. Peanut butter bread crumbs.

Comment

Working...
                              X