No announcement yet.

Leangains Experiment

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Man I felt really hungry from like 10AM til now... about to take some BCAA and go hit the gym. THE HUNGER!!!

Comment

Lifting today:
      Squats: 4x7x235
      Standing Barbell Press: 135x12, 155x8, 165x6
      Shoulder superset 1: Lateral raises 12x35, front raises 10x35, rear raises 10x35
      Shoulder superset 2: Front raises: 10x35, lateral raises, 8x35, rear raises 8x35

I ate/will eat:
      1 serving BCAAs
      1lb ground chicken w/ 2 large handfuls spinach and 1/2 cup salsa
      1 sweet potato
      3 eggs w/ cheese
      1 package frozen Brussels sprouts

Comment

So you basically eat a few hours before lifting, then soon after? That's it?
        How did you figure out your maintenance amount of calories?

I'm thinking of giving this a try myself, but will probably go the 3 meals route.

Comment

bwhit, I'm not eating at all pre-workout except for 1 serving of BCAAs before lifting, then a relatively carb-heavy meal after lifting and more protein and fat-centric meal later in the day. Feeling pretty good so far... I have to say increasing the starch/carb content in my diet has made me feel much more clear-headed and energetic for the past few days.

Comment

Originally posted by Feanor78 View Post
            bwhit, I'm not eating at all pre-workout except for 1 serving of BCAAs before lifting, then a relatively carb-heavy meal after lifting and more protein and fat-centric meal later in the day. Feeling pretty good so far... I have to say increasing the starch/carb content in my diet has made me feel much more clear-headed and energetic for the past few days.
            I find the same thing, as long as I'm lifting heavy.
            Lifting Journal

Comment

bwhit, I used the resting metabolic rate calculator here:
              Bodybuilding.com - Resting Metabolic Rate Calculator.

I'm sure it's a rough estimate but it gives some idea of your daily needs...

Comment

Thanks. That one seems specific to weightlifters. It said over 3,500 calories, that seems like a lot. I've been Crossfitting about 4 times a week since March. Maybe I'll try it out for a baseline though. I'm thinking October.

Comment

Originally posted by Feanor78 View Post

I ate/will eat:
                  1 serving BCAAs
                  1lb ground chicken w/ 2 large handfuls spinach and 1/2 cup salsa
                  1 sweet potato
                  3 eggs w/ cheese
                  1 package frozen Brussels sprouts
                  Is that all? That works out to about 1500 calories for the day..... Not very much. You'll hit a wall pretty quick on that level of food.
                  Never, never, never quit! -- Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by ColoradoSteve View Post
                    Is that all? That works out to about 1500 calories for the day..... Not very much. You'll hit a wall pretty quick on that level of food.
                    I think/hope that's one meal.
                    Lifting Journal

Comment

yep that's my post-workout meal, I try to have another similar one that's not so carb-heavy at around 6 or 7 too.

Comment

Also for the benefit of those reading my journal, here's my (slightly edited) "My Primal Story" I just sent in... hope I don't get disqualified for posting it here... I WANT FREE VITAMINS DAMMIT!!!

I went from being a big ol' tub of goo to being in fairly good shape in less than 15 months thanks to the Primal lifestyle. It's been a fun and interesting journey, and my life has improved in innumerable ways.
                        I just turned 27, and I'm 6'3". I played sports in high school and college (football, wrestling, and rugby) and was a pretty accomplished weightlifter. After leaving college and dropping sports, I totally stopped taking care of my body. I had never paid much attention to food (except when cutting weight for wrestling) and started aggressively not paying attention to food. Although I could win any competitive eating contest thrown at me, I didn't feel particularly great. This went on with brief spurts of well-intentioned physical activity (trying to play rugby again, joining a gym for two months, etc.) for about four years. My Primal journey began when I was 25, in April 2010 when I went to the doctor to get treatment for a sore throat and found that I weighed 336lbs. - now I had weighed nearly that much when I was a Freshman in college playing offensive line, but I realized that I was going to have some serious health problems unless I turned my life around.
                        For the first time in a few years, I actually went to a Barnes and Noble and bought the Primal Blueprint - an actual book! The whole evolutionary approach to nutrition made a lot of intuitive sense, and by the time I was done with the book I was pretty much convinced. I started off very strict - no carrots for me, they have too much sugar. My friend and I ordered 5 gallon jugs of coconut oil, both virgin and expeller pressed. I embraced the fat... deep fried eggs in coconut oil, deep fried brie crusted in almond flour in coconut oil, deep fried pretty much everything in coconut oil... I ran around in the woods and threw rocks like my ancient ancestors (maybe after a few drinks) did. More than anything, I just started moving my body more often. I dropped about 40lbs in the first three months. As time went on I got comfortable sprinting and lifting weights again, and I modified my meal plan to be more ad-hoc and balanced out my macronutrients and started taking some vitamins and supplements. The ongoing changes in my diet really paid off. Even through the holidays, I kept dropping weight until I arrived at a steady 255 in May of 2011. Overall I had dropped a little over 80lbs, and gone from a 46 to a 38 waist. When I started I could barely do 10 pushups, and now I can do 40 without too much effort. After a lifetime of never being able to do a pull-up, I can do 8. After a lifetime of having to buy my clothes at big and tall stores, I could actually buy name-brand pants. More than any of the weight loss or improvement in good-lookin'ness, the steady energy, lack of random hunger pains, and hugely improved immune health have really improved my quality of life.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Rest day! Grocery trip time... I definitely need to eat more but I'm broke

Comment

Holy smokes, Feanor, you are a wall of muscle! No wonder you have such impressive lifting numbers, and you've obviously just scratched the surface of your potential. I am inspired.

Comment

Thanks, dude! Also btw one of the first things I started doing when I changed my diet was a series of sledgehammer workouts... until I hit myself in the shin with it haha! I got a Monster Mace from strongergrip.com which I use now - the longer handle means less chance of me de-legging myself... that kind of work is a lot of fun.
                              Last edited by Feanor78; 09-15-2011, 10:53 AM.

Comment

Blunt weaponry is the best! I can totally see hitting yourself in the shin, though. That must have been one awesome bruise. strongergrip.com is a great site and Ryan Pitts is a true artisan. I've wanted a monster mace myself for some time, but I keep spending all my money on food...

Comment

Working...
                                X