No announcement yet.

Primal Journal (FlyNavyWife)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No deprivation here. haha. I promise! Thanks for watching out for me.

Also Italian-American here. Pasta is huuuuge.

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

Comment

Off to my friend Victoria's apartment. She's the one who's also going Primal. We're going to take turns hosting Primal home-cooked dinners and exchanging recipes. This is the first night of that.

Her husband made meatloaf (I need to give him some suggestions for use in place of bread crumbs though... he did put those in. I'm thinking ground almonds would work, right?) and we are bringing zucchini and squash. I'm going to stir-fry it in some coconut oil... never cooked with coconut oil before, so we'll see how it goes. I think maybe thyme sprinkled over it?

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

Comment

You will become addicted to the coconut oil :-)

Also wanted to say that your reasons for tracking your intake are similar to mine. Coming from a low protein background I want to make sure I'm above 80g- over 100g would be even better. I was having a hard time realizing what 80g would look like so hence the tracking. I have also figured out that if I keep the carbs between 80-110, my fasting blood sugar remains below 100. I think it's good to track in fitday or other just to get an idea of what these ratios look like. Plus I'm a data junkie :-)

Have fun at Victoria's.

Comment

DCKMB, I'm glad I'm not the only one who needs to work to get the protein in. I use sparkpeople to track only because I already had an account there... fitday looks GREAT though.

Comment

Day 5:

Protein: 80g

Carbs: 53g)

Fat: 98g

Calories: 1403

Back on track!

B: leftover steak, an orange

L: deviled eggs (3 eggs), sauteed spinach with toasted pine nuts and balsamic vinegar

D: meatloaf and squash/zucchini sauteed in coconut oil with salt, pepper, and toasted sesame seeds.

Some dark chocolate and a tiny bit of port for dessert.

The coconut oil was so awesome for sauteeing the veggies. I can't wait to eat the leftover veggies tomorrow! mmm. Everyone really liked it.

Already thinking about what to cook for our primal recipe swap next week... thinking about doing some chicken legs with grilled pineapple rings (they will bring the veggies for a side, like we did tonight) and then berries and cream for dessert... mmmm.

The meatloaf was REALLY good. I don't remember ever liking meatloaf, but Will sauteed a ton of veggies and put them in the meat, and also put pine nuts in the meat too. So good! The vegetables made it really moist. We just had tomato paste on top of it. mm.

Glad to be back on track today. I can't wait to go shopping Tuesday (store is closed Sun-Mon) so we can get some whipping cream to play with.

Comment

Day 6:

Protein: 83g

Carbs: 98g

Fat: 105g

Calories: 1598

B: 3 eggs w/cinnamon and a tiny bit of "syrup" (hfcs. ew. oops)

L: 2 turkey dogs dipped in mustard, leftover veggies from last night

S: 1oz almonds

D: spaghetti squash with tomato/meat sauce on top.

D (dessert): blueberries

Comment

Ooh pinenuts in the meatloat sounds good, must try that next time. I make my meatloaf without breadcrumbs and never had a problem, then again I never made it with so don't know what I am not missing.

Coconut oil is the best, next thing you will be telling us you are eating it by the spoonful straight out of the jar!

Comment

Miriam, I don't really see the point of the breadcrumbs personally and I wish he hadn't put them in but he doesn't 100% "get" Primal eating yet so I'll just try to be a good example when I am cooking for them, you know?

Also everyone keeps saying that about eating it plain... maybe it's the brand/type I got but it just isn't that amazing plain. haha.

Comment

Pinenuts are good, but sooooo spendy!

I just love grinding up some nuts and using them in place of oats and flour for most 'sticking' recipes.

Also for meatloaf, you can make your own 'ketchup' for the insides and the top. Just some vinegar, tomato paste and a dab of stevia or other sweetener, makes for a MUCH better version of 'Hinz' ;-)

Comment

We just used tomato sauce... no ketchup. ew. Tomato sauce is good...

I'm with you on the pinenuts. My husband went insane and bought an entire pound of them when he was at the gourmet shop in Pensacola (4 hours from here) without me. He had no clue how much to get... they were like 40 dollars, but they'll last a long time in the fridge.

Comment

Hey guys,

Love reading your food journal. I'm new to PB so it helps to see what others' daily food log looks like.

Question: What kind of coconut oil do you guys use? Can I get a good, primal coconut oil at Trader Joe's?

Comment

I don't have a Trader Joe's... but my base's tiny commissary actually had organic virgin coconut oil, which is what I got. I am 98% sure that Trader Joe's would have it too.

Comment

I buy this Nutiva coconut oil from amazon, cause I have amazon prime and it ships 2-day for free, although it qualifies for free super-saver shipping on its own if you don't have prime (just slower), since it's just over the $25 limit: http://www.amazon.com/Nutiva-Organic-Extra-Virgin-Coconut/dp/B000VUMSE0/

I shop at TJ's a lot, and I haven't ever seen coconut oil.

Also, re: pine nuts I have a 1.5lb bag of them I got from Sam's for somewhere in the 10-15 (probably 12) dollar range. You just made me eat a handful of them. Mmmm.

Comment

Also, I use the brand that Elana (elanaspantry.com) also uses, which is "Tropical Traditions".

I buy it in a gigantic container that lasts for about a year. That way I can use it on my body, for frying/ cooking, for baking, in my hair....

Don't be fooled by "EXTRA" Virgin Oil. There is technically no way to get the Virgin Oil extracted an 'extra virgin' way! ;-)

Comment

Thanks guys!

I'll go check it out today after my work out. I'm excited!

Btw- I'll probably be posting a sample day's worth of food soon and would love it if ya'll can critique. I'm still not used to up'ing the fat so I'm not sure if I'm using too much or too little. And guessing from what I know already I could probably give up a little fruit but I have such a sweet tooth. :-)

Comment

Working...
                                X