Primal With A Side Of FABULOUS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Redflame View Post
    I am in agreement with that kind of teacher actually! My 15 year old showed me a paper for her HS English class. There were spelling issues all over the place and when I pointed them out she said her teached did not grade on spelling or punctuation.......WAIT, ENGLISH CLASS!
    WHAT?! *blinkblinkblink*
    *KSSHT*A tsunami of confusion just passed through Naiadland, sorry for any inconveniences. We'll have every back and running here in a bit. The goddess just experienced a temporal shift in the universe. We repeat, do not be alarmed. Be well and eat bacon *KSSHT*
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Latest Journal

Comment

• Your daughter's English teacher = FAIL! I understand wanting above all to develop a student's ability to construct an intelligent essay, but this does not push all other components of language to the sidelines.

Spelling and punctuation are not creative pursuits. Yet somehow this is what they have become in some classrooms. I used to correct college English papers and many of them made me wince. Yes, mistakes happen, but they should be FEW and FAR BETWEEN.
      JOIN THE PANDA SHOW!!! Primal With A Side Of FABULOUS and PANDALOONERY!

Comment

• Yes, that is her English Teacher. Piano Teacher sometimes has them play on the piano, sometimes they just go over to the Drama class to watch movies with them and the two teachers have coffee together. The project at the end of the class was to pick a current song and play it. My daughter picked an Adele song. Since the teacher also teaches choir she gave DD the option to either play it on the piano, OR play just one hand and sing it...(my daughter does not take the choir class)..so My daughter has been focusing the last 3 weeks on just playing one handed piano......guess what --thats what she could do when she got to the class!

AND the Honors Chemistry teacher took 3 seperate days to inform the kids on how football pools work, and even put $5 of his own money into the pool on the spot that the class picked.........SERIOUSLY? Keep in mind, my Ex gambled all our savings away before I left him...so this is a bit of a touchey subject....

OK, I hijacked your journal to talk about how pissed I am at my daughters teachers! sorry........going back to my corner (where my elementary teacher once put me for throwing a pencil at a punk classmate)
        Last edited by Redflame; 01-27-2012, 03:17 PM. Reason: in rant mode I forgot a detail
        Redflame
        Started PB Aug 9, 2010 then let 'stuff' get in the way
        Back to start and make a fantastic 2012
        Goal of Significant Weight Loss
        15 pounds down! with more to go!

Comment

• (Side rant to accompany Redflame's: I had a teacher who was hell bent that I. WOULD. NOT. BE. LEFT. HANDED. when I left her class. She lost. I had another teacher (my HS circuits teacher), say that he wasn't going to teach us, but we'd better learn DC circuits by the end of the first semester. I got in trouble a LOT in elemnetary school for finishing my work for the day within 5 minutes and reading the rest of the time. The end compromise there was that I couldn't read it where other students could see me reading.)

If spelling and grammar were for the art kids, all sentences would be e.e. cummings, txt spk, or crazed caveman scratches.
          Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
          My Latest Journal

Comment

• Originally posted by naiadknight View Post
            (Side rant to accompany Redflame's: I had a teacher who was hell bent that I. WOULD. NOT. BE. LEFT. HANDED. when I left her class. She lost. I had another teacher (my HS circuits teacher), say that he wasn't going to teach us, but we'd better learn DC circuits by the end of the first semester. I got in trouble a LOT in elemnetary school for finishing my work for the day within 5 minutes and reading the rest of the time. The end compromise there was that I couldn't read it where other students could see me reading.)

If spelling and grammar were for the art kids, all sentences would be e.e. cummings, txt spk, or crazed caveman scratches.
            AHH AHHHH this is how closet readers are groomed!
            Redflame
            Started PB Aug 9, 2010 then let 'stuff' get in the way
            Back to start and make a fantastic 2012
            Goal of Significant Weight Loss
            15 pounds down! with more to go!

Comment

• My high school United States History teacher was actually a P.E. teacher. He knew absolutely nothing about history, and so from September to June he showed us movies. We watched JFK to explain the assassination. We watched Far and Away (TWICE) to show how the Irish came to America. We watched National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation for no reason at all. He would read his newspaper while the movie played. There were open book tests and no projects, and occasional dittos for homework.

One ditto was to write about the life of Lincoln. I read every detail in the text and in my home encyclopedia before collapsing it down to the highlights and writing in very tiny print to squash as much as I could into the two inches allotted. I received a 4/4 on the assignment.

And so did my very good friend in the seat behind me. She had written in enormous letters: ABRAHAM LINCOLN WAS PRESIDENT. ABRAHAM LINCOLN WORE A HAT. ABRAHAM LINCOLN FREED THE SLAVES. I LOVE ABRAHAM LINCOLN.

That day, Young Gay Panda learned two very important lessons.
              1. Know your audience.
              2. Stop trying so hard in this particular class.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gay Panda View Post
                Right there with you! Even if I am enjoying a book, spelling mistakes will kill it for me. As will there/their/they're mishaps that my second grade teacher would have slaughtered me for making. (Thank you for being such a grammar hard-ass, Mrs. Stuart! You did not destroy my Self of Steam with your red pen.)
                Ack! Some self-published books I have read have been ruined for me because I spend more time muttering about poor editing than actually absorbing content. As someone to whom decent spelling and grammar have always come fairly naturally, and who has done a little editing of publications, it just *pains* me to see the plummeting standards of English skills nowadays.

I have worked with numerous professionals who *think* their letter- or report-writing skills are good, and it has taken much biting-of-tongue on my part (and/or subtle massaging-of-text behind their backs) for me to stay sane and not let my perfectionism cause any relationship rifts. Treading on delicate professional toes = bad career move.
                I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.

Oscar Wilde

Comment

• Originally posted by Sigi View Post
                  Ack! Some self-published books I have read have been ruined for me because I spend more time muttering about poor editing than actually absorbing content.
                  That's where I found myself yesterday, muttering about some author's flagrant abuse of the comma. I couldn't even tell you what the book was about after reading the synopsis, because of the distraction caused by commas strewn at random about the script. I read it out loud to Lady Friend (making sure to note the placement of each one) and she ran away. Don't destroy my reading experience with lousy English! Learn proper punctuation. Run spell check. Have beta readers. Edit and edit and edit, and then, when you're so sick and tired of the book that you never want to see it again, put it away for a year and THEN EDIT IT ANOTHER TIME. Give it back to your beta readers and tell them to rip it up. Edit once more. For Valhalla's sake, show some respect to your work and your readers and don't post your rough draft online two minutes after you finish it.

Comma Abuse Man got on my nerves.
                  Last edited by Gay Panda; 01-29-2012, 07:58 PM.

Comment

• Random moment of panda-related amusement:
                    Baby panda's great escape. [VIDEO]

Somehow put me in mind of a Young Gay Panda, struggling to escape the family nest and Sticky Panda Siblings, determined to head out into the big, wide world ...
                    I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.

Oscar Wilde

Comment

• Originally posted by sigi View Post
                      random moment of panda-related amusement:
                      baby panda's great escape. [video]

somehow put me in mind of a young gay panda, struggling to escape the family nest and sticky panda siblings, determined to head out into the big, wide world ...
                      that was awesome!!!

Comment

• Gay Panda!
                        I took a two month sabbatical from MDA (traveling and getting laid off from my job at the same time! Yay!), and now I'm back. So did I go read all the blog entries on the main page that I missed? Of course not, I've spent the afternoon catching up on Primal with a Side of FABULOUS!

I am only up to page 130, but I wanted to reply now, I hope I don't say anything that the next 10 pages or so will make moot.
                        • Yay for Lady Friend's appearance! I was so excited, and I love that her user name is Lady Friend.
                        • So so sorry about Primal Coach Kitty. I hate that part of pet ownership. And yet I have two cats, two dogs, four ducks and nine chickens, so I am setting myself up for a lifetime of grief.
                        • I'm so happy you are publishing an eBook. I have a Nook Color, which I love, so I will download it as soon as it is available. I am on the like side of Sci-Fi, but, like you, a book has to be character-driven. It doesn't matter what the genre is, actually, I have to connect with the characters to like a book. Ender's Game is one of my favorite books of all time. Have you read Ready Player One? It was my favorite book of 2011. Also, there is a program called Calibre that is free to download, it works with Adobe Digital Editions (also a free download) to manage eBooks (both .mobi (aka Kindle) and .epub formats), and yes, for those without eReaders, makes it possible to read books on your computer. Even with my Nook, I use it to organize my books.
                        • While I was traveling and during the holidays I, too, succumbed to the siren song of the potatoes. Those bastards. I have been bouncing around between the same three pounds since October. It's maddening, but I am doing my best to overcome. Finally, this week has been a little better and I'm optimistic that the scale will go down again someday.

I'm sure I'll have more to say once I get caught up all the way
                        My Primal Journal with lots of food pr0n

Comment

• Maybe I should put this out to everyone, since I am utterly unfamiliar to this territory. What has your experience been with eBooks? Do you read them? Or do you prefer paper? I've spent hours in the last week reading all about debates on cost and digital rights and floundering NY publishing houses charging an insane $14-16 for eBooks. Is this what you pay? (Gay Panda tends to be frugal, and there are very few authors for whom I would shell out that much. The novel isn't even a physical product, so it seems like price-gouging to me. But then again, you may have a totally different perception of this. I have never made a single eBook purchase.)
                          I might be late chiming in here, but thought I would anyway. I love books, I love physical books. I even taught myself book-binding because I just love the form of a book. BUT, I also rather enjoy gadgets and technology. We have a lot of books in a very small house, and there really, truly, isn't any more shelf space for books. When I got my first iPhone, I downloaded the Kindle app, and impulsively bought a book (I think it was Outlander, by Diana Gabaldon). I was surprised at the ease with which I could read it on that little screen, and eventually read the entire series that way. Last year I got my Nook, and of course it's even easier to read books there. I can even get books from the library with it. Because I have the Nook Color, I can read it in the dark, which is nice when my husband wants to go to sleep before I do, we can turn off all the lights and I can still read (the text can be adjusted, so I turn the background to dark grey and the text to white and dim the brightness and it's not hard on my eyes at all). The other bonus (at least with Amazon and Barnes & Noble) is that once you purchase a book, you can download it to any device, so you won't lose a book if your device crashes. I do tend to be cheap, and use the library feature when I can. I will pay up to $9.99, especially for a new release when the only other option is hardcover, which is 2-3 times the price. That's not really a bad deal. I don't see how eBooks could be a passing fad, I really think they are here to stay.
                          My Primal Journal with lots of food pr0n

Comment

• Originally posted by Griffin View Post
                            I think the best gift I ever received from my late mother is a silly little suede bookmark she made for me as a stocking stuffer. It's really just a scrap of material with my name written on it. It's the perfect length so when it's in a paperback book I can flick my wrist back and forth and the bookmark snaps against the covers of the books and makes a snapping sound (I think it sounds like the little drums that Mr. Miyagi used in Karate Kid II to encourage Daniel-san to whoop his antagonists butt). Every time I use my bookmark it reminds me of my mom.
                            I love this, Griffin.

Comment

• I have not read Ready Player One, lucyh! I will add that to my list. And I am so sorry to hear that you got laid off! I hope a new job presents itself to you soon.

Potatoes are evil. I have to go shopping when I'm done typing this, and I just know that they will be leering at me from the hot bar.

Comment

• Gay Panda has not been doing a very good job with food choices this past week.

No, I did not fall into a second Burrito of Sadness, and I limited myself to one Soda of Strife. I disregarded the tub of mashed potatoes at Whole Foods and did not drown my sorrows in margaritas. But Gay Panda is accustomed to cooking with the kitty peeking around the doorway to watch, and to not have her inquisitive little face there any longer is disconcerting. Primal Coach Kitty was ever hopeful that I might be preparing bacon, and offered up herself most politely as a taste tester.

Since the kitty took her leave to The Great Bacon Maker in the sky, it was often too sad to stand at the stove with that empty spot by the kitchen doorway. I resorted to cheese and the half-bag of chocolate chips that have been living in my pantry for longer than I will admit. Then I did not have to stand at the stove and catch myself looking over to the doorway to converse with the kitty. Some days I did not even manage the cheese and chocolate, and wondered by dinner why my brain had imploded.

I have not blown up to Panada. The scale does not show Q. My body grimly clings to 181-183. I no longer have an ancient bag half-full of chocolate chips in my pantry, because that was lunch three days running. I did not replenish my supply while shopping, but I did buy a bar of dark chocolate, which was mostly decimated within an hour of arriving home. However, once gone it will stay gone because Gay Panda is too lazy to seek out another. In devastation over the kitty my washer/dryer has ceased to function, and since fixing it will be costly, I really shouldn’t be buying candy anyway.

Today I was a little irritated about how my body keeps hitting a brick wall at 181 and splattering there, but then I had to remind myself that it isn’t like I’ve set up the ideal circumstances for weight loss. So I don’t have any right to be irritated. If I’m not eating close to perfectly, I can’t hope for anything to change. Yet eating this way and having to be so conscious of what I’m putting in my body is just a slog sometimes. I don’t want to pay attention right now and yet I still want to see that I’m reducing, and these two circumstances cannot share the same space-time. It’s either one or the other. A normal size isn’t going to happen by magic, although if a Bad Genie offered that I could get the kitty back if I agreed to weigh 231 pounds of panda and have to lose it all again, I’d be 231 pounds of panda right now and the kitty would be in the doorway watching me cook bacon for the both of us.

Comment

Working...
                                X