No announcement yet.

Primal With A Side Of FABULOUS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For my two-Canadian-cents' worth: I asked my wife for a Kobo for Christmas this past year. I was originally skeptical as I enjoy the tactile experience that accompanies reading a book.* I do, however love gadgets and I see the book market moving in this direction as more people buy tablet pc's. etc. I also like the convenience of being able to carry a wee tablet, rather than a more physical tome, while travelling or having to wait in a reception area.

I went for the Kobo so I could download books from the library.

So far I've read a book by Guillermo del Toro and Chuck Hogan but I will buy a hard copy of the paperback once it's out. I bought the Game of Thrones series for $12.60-ish so that was a great deal IMHO. There are certain books I may take out of the library in ebook format and then buy in paperback. Terry Brooks' books come to mind. This is because I don't want to have to wait for the pb book to come out before reading it but I still want it in my collection.

* I think the best gift I ever received from my late mother is a silly little suede bookmark she made for me as a stocking stuffer. It's really just a scrap of material with my name written on it. It's the perfect length so when it's in a paperback book I can flick my wrist back and forth and the bookmark snaps against the covers of the books and makes a snapping sound (I think it sounds like the little drums that Mr. Miyagi used in Karate Kid II to encourage Daniel-san to whoop his antagonists butt). Every time I use my bookmark it reminds me of my mom.
    There are two wolves fighting within a man's heart, one is Love, the other is Hate. The one that wins is the one you feed.

My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. - Jack Layton

The Primal Adventures of Griffin - Huzzah!

Comment

• Originally posted by spughy View Post
      I bought a Kindle. And it's been the best thing EVER. No more book clutter. I can read literally HUNDREDS of trashy sci-fi, fantasy and romance novels and there is NO EVIDENCE!!!
      That really made me laugh. I've also downsized my books and there are STILL so many. That makes a Kindle appealing, because I only have so much space in my house.

Price points are such an interesting discussion going on right now in writers' blogs. I think for me, going over six dollars on an unknown will be dependent on the reviews and the sample chapters. I have to be confident that it's a smash to justify the purchase, so there can't just be one glowing recommendation clearly written by the author's mom. But under six I have no problem.

I will check out the Temeraire books!
      Last edited by Gay Panda; 01-26-2012, 01:15 PM.
      JOIN THE PANDA SHOW!!! Primal With A Side Of FABULOUS and PANDALOONERY!

Comment

• I will spend $15-20 on a Non Fiction, but Fiction I will buy ebooks. Non Fiction I want in my hands, able to highlight with real pens, scribble in the margins, and dog ear.......just not the same any other way. I also like to pass down books, I do alot of book reviews and have MANY friends that have recieved the benefits, and they keep passing it along.

I often write on the title page my name and date and encourage the next person to the same. One time someone brought me a book that she thought I should read and it look familiar, sure enough I had started the book 15 months earlier and there were 7 people that had signed it.....sad thing is it was not worth passing on that much!
        Redflame
        Started PB Aug 9, 2010 then let 'stuff' get in the way
        Back to start and make a fantastic 2012
        Goal of Significant Weight Loss
        15 pounds down! with more to go!

Comment

• Stopping in also, I bought a kindle a several months ago. I was a little worried that I was killing the brick and mortar stores with my purchase. However, I love the fact that I can have several books at once in my purse while I play the waiting game, the whole no clutter concept and folks cannot see my reading choices (ie: womanly health and fertility). Sometimes I cannot wait to get a book, so I can download it right away using the 3G access. I still however buy non-fiction books because I like to write in them. I also buy hardbacks by my favorite authors; Rowling, Koontz, Martin, Novik ect. Sometimes you just need to hold and feel the book.

Overall I do like my kindle. I am glad I purchased it. Thanks for the tip about putting it into the ziplock so you can read it in the tub. I wanted to read some the other day and did not think of that one.

Price wise, I love the amazon world and generally pay from nothing to around 5$ for a book easily. If it is above 5$, I have to know the author or really want it. Above 10$ I have to know the author and really really really want it. I also have a hard time paying a bit of money for something that I cannot hold! They also have book rental at amazon where you can "borrow" one book a month to read and some librarys support e-lending. That is free also.

Panda, I cannot wait to read your book. Either in electronic or paper. It will be wonderful. I also highly recommend the Temeraire series. It is outstanding!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by mandysoux View Post
            One thing I really like is being able to read reviews first and browsing is so much easier than standing in a bookstore
            I really love how one can view sample chapters and it IS so much easier than paging through at the bookstore, trying to glean if it's worth the money. Now at my leisure I can read a chunk of the book first. I was browsing through Amazon Kindle today and thought one book looked interesting, but the clumsily-written pages in the sample ended that with a big fat NO. (Adjective abuse: - 10 Points)

Comment

• Originally posted by Gay Panda View Post
              I really love how one can view sample chapters and it IS so much easier than paging through at the bookstore, trying to glean if it's worth the money. Now at my leisure I can read a chunk of the book first. I was browsing through Amazon Kindle today and thought one book looked interesting, but the clumsily-written pages in the sample ended that with a big fat NO. (Adjective abuse: - 10 Points)
              plus no chance of getting swine flu from touching books that somebody else has had their paws all over

Comment

• This exactly--i use my iPhone as an ereader (yes my eyesight is still good enough for that--don't even increase the font ;-)) I love the convenience and the opportunity to grab no cost books to try but what has really revolutionized my author selection is getting the free chapters. A lot of times you are getting a couple of hundred (iPhone sized) pages and that is almost always enough for me to know if I like it or not. A few times I've found myself buying the book immediately as I get to the end of the sample because I loved it--this is an amazing blend of savvy on the part of the writer/publisher and cool technology--just can't stand in the aisle at the bookstore long enough to get this same experience. Agree with the other good points of having many books with you conveniently and anonymously. I even find myself taking time out for lunch when I'm at work so I can go to a restaurant and read--probably would do that less if at all with a physical book.

I have a large regular book collection and will continue to buy them so I am of both camps in this discussion but definitely a fan of the ebook now.

Price-wise I think I've paid as much as $17-18 for an ebook (Jim Butcher - Dresden) and truthfully if the sample grabs me i would pay up to that without hesitation.

Comment

• I am looking forward to buying my very first paid-for e-book Panda – yours!

But I must confess I'm still something of a Luddite. I love the touchable, all-mine-forever-and-can't-disappear-into-the-ether-by-mistake, crisp freshness of a new book. Instore, I will closely inspect every copy of a book I want to ensure I get the perfect, least-scuffed, not-opened-by-human-hands one (yes, perfectionist/OCD/yada yada yada). I refuse to lend out my most favourite books, lest my careless friends crease or dog-ear or in any way muss up my beloved possessions. (I am slightly ashamed of this.) Redflame made me hyperventilate just a little with her talk about highlighters and scribbling in margins.

Books are ridiculously expensive in Australia. Therefore, I don't buy all that many books any more – most titles of interest I'll simply reserve at the library, or recommend that the library purchase (and most of the time they do, bless their little cotton socks). I rarely buy fiction unless it's a book/series I've loved so much I want to own it for posterity, to re-read at my pleasure, or if I simply can't wait until the library finally lets me have it (yes, I've bought every Rowling book and started reading on the day of its worldwide release). I'm more likely to purchase non-fiction/health related books for reference and ongoing motivation, as often these are only available from overseas anyway. So my Primal/paleo collection is gradually increasing.

I was actually pondering e-books in the shower this morning, Panda, idly wondering about how you are going about setting a price point (must be a bit agonising, no?) and getting yourself the attention you need to launch your new book and make it a success.

I like the comment about Kindles hiding the evidence of what you've been reading! Makes me think I should reconsider. The last time I weeded out my book collection I chucked soooo many stupid diet books that I too was embarrassed to donate them anywhere, and ended up throwing them in the recycling bin. If I'd been hit by a train the day before, any family member clearing out my possessions would have thought me a pathetic, weight-obsessed nutter. Ohhh…
                  I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.

Oscar Wilde

Comment

• I do the same thing, Sigi, inspect every single copy of a book and then pick the most perfect one! No crinkled covers, no scuffs allowed. I refused to lend my beloved Harry Potter books many years ago to the grossest of the Sticky Panda Siblings. I knew what fate would befall them: shoved under his bed or used as coasters, food stains all over the pages, bent corners, and I'd never get them back. NO.

Originally posted by Sigi View Post
                    I was actually pondering e-books in the shower this morning, Panda, idly wondering about how you are going about setting a price point (must be a bit agonising, no?)
                    In my true analytic fashion, I read every article I could find on the topic and solicited friends-with-Kindles for opinions. Right now eBook prices are like the Wild West! There is no standard: gimmicks and promotions and frequent price changes, novellas for $4.99 and short stories for $3.99 and epic fiction for less than a buck and every other possible thing up to someone who priced his novel at $99. Um . . . good luck with that! I liked one idea that short stories should be $0.99, novellas $1.99, books under 100,000 words $2.99-$3.99, and books over 100,000 words $4.99-6.99 or even a little more. (This was for unknown authors, known can price higher if they choose.) This system seems fair to me.

Mine is 142,000 words, but I'm very uncomfortable with the higher end of that range as I'm an unknown. And even though financially I am in better straits than before, my brain still functions as that 22-year-old I once was who had massive college debt and a job shelving books at a library for six dollars an hour. Years later, I continue to hesitate at entertainment purchases. I rarely see movies because I find ten dollars a ticket too steep, so it's matinee or much more often, add to Netflix queue. So I priced it at the lowest end of that range-for-length after days of reading on the subject and pestering friends. Paging through blogs of successful eBook writers, it seems like it's anyone's guess what the right price is, so one must just play with it. (RIGID GAY PANDA WANTS A SYSTEM! A SYSTEM!!!)

Comment

• Ever since I got my tablet with the Kindle app on it I quit buying books and went to eBooks only. They don't take up space in my house. They don't have to be moved if I move to a new place. They don't have to be carried around. I got my tablet right before Thanksgiving and I have 88 eBooks on it right now. I have found a whole bunch of new authors that I really like that I wouldn't have found by shopping for a physical book. Right now I am reading Night of Wolves by David Dalglish and it's not a book I would have even heard of by only looking at physical books.

I get a lot of the free or 99 cent books from Amazon. I also like that I can borrow books from my library on my Kindle app. I have paid the higher price for authors that I really, really like but I would have paid the same $14.95 for their hardback book too.

Comment

• The only thing I really DON'T like about ebooks is all of the typos! The actual structure on the "page" is often terrible, and they really need to hire some proofreaders. Lowercase "r"s are often turned into "n"s when placed next to certain letters, and "i"s and "l"s are a problem too. It's almost as if they scan the book and the scanner mixes up the letters sometimes and smooshes them together.
                        Depression Lies

Comment

• Originally posted by namelesswonder View Post
                          The only thing I really DON'T like about ebooks is all of the typos! The actual structure on the "page" is often terrible, and they really need to hire some proofreaders. Lowercase "r"s are often turned into "n"s when placed next to certain letters, and "i"s and "l"s are a problem too. It's almost as if they scan the book and the scanner mixes up the letters sometimes and smooshes them together.
                          Right there with you! Even if I am enjoying a book, spelling mistakes will kill it for me. As will there/their/they're mishaps that my second grade teacher would have slaughtered me for making. (Thank you for being such a grammar hard-ass, Mrs. Stuart! You did not destroy my Self of Steam with your red pen.)

Comment

• Mrs. J served me well. You automatically failed if you made certain grammatical or spelling mistakes (unless you had paper demonstrating you couldn't help it.) She could smell BS a mile away. I got back more than one paper bloodier than WWII with her red ink, and each one just convinced me that I needed to try harder to BS past her and the red pen of Pooh-BAH! doom. A C from her was equivalent to an A from any other teacher in the district. I was a spelling and grammar Nazi even before I had her and she just made me worse.

(Yes, I have my typos, but I try to catch them before final submittal.)
                            Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
                            My Latest Journal

Comment

• My elementary school was MADE of teachers just like yours. Strict and demanding and exacting, and we could peddle our B.S. somewhere else because it did not belong in the classroom. You were there to work, and if you didn't like it, you could discuss it with your parents in the principal's office.

Oh, my bloodbath essays. I remember those.

Comment

• I am in agreement with that kind of teacher actually! My 15 year old showed me a paper for her HS English class. There were spelling issues all over the place and when I pointed them out she said her teached did not grade on spelling or punctuation.......WAIT, ENGLISH CLASS!
                                Redflame
                                Started PB Aug 9, 2010 then let 'stuff' get in the way
                                Back to start and make a fantastic 2012
                                Goal of Significant Weight Loss
                                15 pounds down! with more to go!

Comment

Working...
                                X