No announcement yet.

Primal With A Side Of FABULOUS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi Gay Panda - been lurking in your journal for a while now - love your writing and your stories - I have found myself laughing so hard I have tears streaming down my face on more than one occasion - mostly trying not to laugh out loud while my son is trying to sleep So sorry to hear about PC Kitty - I too lost my cat of 16 years a little over a year ago...he was quite a neurotic cat, but lovable in his own way (if you were me or my son anyway - otherwise he was devil cat as my brother liked to call him).

I too would love to read your book and I am so glad that you are going the ebook route as that is really the only way I read books anymore and I must say your description of your opening scene has me intrigued already minus beavis and butthead of course.

Comment

• So, my dear fellow Primal With A Side Of FABULOUS readers, I spent part of the afternoon watching You Tube videos to learn how to trim a chicken's wing feathers. (After I spent the morning receiving angry missives from a very irritated Gay Panda.) Let's just say it's a good thing that Expecto Patronum isn't named Wingardia Leviosa, poor thing. Gonna have to find a different escape route.

Thank you, Internetz!!! And, Gay Panda, you're welcome.
      Got Panda? Primal With A Side Of FABULOUS and now Pandaloonery!

Comment

• @newlifejourney - it sounds like you've made some very wise changes and I'm happy that you found jobs with good people! I really wish that I had taken some time off when I was in college. I had no idea what I wanted to do and it ended up being a very expensive waste of time. And go away, water retention!
        JOIN THE PANDA SHOW!!! Primal With A Side Of FABULOUS and PANDALOONERY!

Comment

• Originally posted by mandysoux View Post
          I too would love to read your book and I am so glad that you are going the ebook route as that is really the only way I read books anymore and I must say your description of your opening scene has me intrigued already minus beavis and butthead of course.
          Hi, mandysoux! I am absolutely intrigued by this statement. When did you shift from paper to eBooks? It seems like the whole publishing world changed under my feet in the last few years while I wasn't paying attention. eBooks are being derided by some respected agents and others in the business as just a passing fad, but that doesn't seem to be the case at all.

Maybe I should put this out to everyone, since I am utterly unfamiliar to this territory. What has your experience been with eBooks? Do you read them? Or do you prefer paper? I've spent hours in the last week reading all about debates on cost and digital rights and floundering NY publishing houses charging an insane $14-16 for eBooks. Is this what you pay? (Gay Panda tends to be frugal, and there are very few authors for whom I would shell out that much. The novel isn't even a physical product, so it seems like price-gouging to me. But then again, you may have a totally different perception of this. I have never made a single eBook purchase.)

Comment

• Originally posted by Gay Panda View Post
            Hi, mandysoux! I am absolutely intrigued by this statement. When did you shift from paper to eBooks? It seems like the whole publishing world changed under my feet in the last few years while I wasn't paying attention. eBooks are being derided by some respected agents and others in the business as just a passing fad, but that doesn't seem to be the case at all.

Maybe I should put this out to everyone, since I am utterly unfamiliar to this territory. What has your experience been with eBooks? Do you read them? Or do you prefer paper? I've spent hours in the last week reading all about debates on cost and digital rights and floundering NY publishing houses charging an insane $14-16 for eBooks. Is this what you pay? (Gay Panda tends to be frugal, and there are very few authors for whom I would shell out that much. The novel isn't even a physical product, so it seems like price-gouging to me. But then again, you may have a totally different perception of this. I have never made a single eBook purchase.)
            I prefer hard copy when possible. I don't like the idea that a nasty bug or Anon (in any of their guises) could make my book vanish and there be no record of my copy ever existing. I realize how unlikely that is to happen, but I'm also kinda in the GP camp: I don't like putting down money on something I can't touch. There are exceptions, of course, but this is a place where I'm steadfastly old fashioned. I prefer the look, smell, touch of a new, new to me, or old friend book. I have downloaded several e-books that were free, in the hopes of finding new authors, but e-books just aren't my schtick.
            Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
            My Latest Journal

Comment

I'll have to chime in. I LOVE eBooks. For me, it's mostly about convenience. I can take my whole library just about anywhere. I can buy a book anywhere i have a data connection. This is also a bonus for those selling eBooks. I would assume that there would be more book sales based on impulsive purchases. I no longer have to go to a bookstore or wait for a book to arrive after I order it online. It's all magic and so very primal

Comment

• Those are interesting points, naiadknight. I have a friend who loves her Kindle, she finds it very easy to read upon, but she says there is absolutely no way that she is going to spend a lot of money on a non-physical product. Forget $14-16, she balks at a $9.99 novel unless she knows the author, and even then, she has to really, really want it. But she also said that when she's looking for a book, she steers away from the free to low-cost crowd because she has found the majority of them to be poorly written.

I'd balk at $9.99 myself unless the author was someone I adored, and I don't think that I would ever pay that much for an author I didn't know. I'd just sign my name to reserve a copy from the library if it looked interesting. (If it cost the maker nothing in paper or ink or distribution, then why am I paying ten bucks for it?)

Comment

Those are interesting points, naiadknight. I have a friend who loves her Kindle, she finds it very easy to read upon, but she says there is absolutely no way that she is going to spend a lot of money on a non-physical product. Forget $14-16, she balks at a $9.99 novel unless she knows the author, and even then, she has to really, really want it. But she also said that when she's looking for a book, she steers away from the free to low-cost crowd because she has found the majority of them to be poorly written.

I'd balk at $9.99 myself unless the author was someone I adored, and I don't think that I would ever pay that much for an author I didn't know. I'd just sign my name to reserve a copy from the library if it looked interesting. (If it cost the maker nothing in paper or ink or distribution, then why am I paying ten bucks for it?)
                  If it's one of my favorite authors (King, Gaiman, Pratchett, Moore, Maguire,etc.), then yes, I'll pay full price (less the B&N discount) for a new book of theirs. If it's a shot in the dark based on the premise sounding good and liking snippets of the writing paging throught the book, I'll Half Price Book prices. If it's a complete shot in the dark based on the back cover synopsis, it better be less than a couple bucks, preferably free, and in hard copy.
                  Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
                  My Latest Journal

Comment

• Originally posted by NOMnomNOM View Post
                    I LOVE eBooks. For me, it's mostly about convenience. I can take my whole library just about anywhere. I can buy a book anywhere i have a data connection. This is also a bonus for those selling eBooks. I would assume that there would be more book sales based on impulsive purchases. I no longer have to go to a bookstore or wait for a book to arrive after I order it online.
                    I like that aspect of it a lot! How many vacations have I taken dragging a backpack of heavy books along with me? Going to a bookstore isn't even an easy option any longer where I live. The little ones closed and the big ones are going bankrupt and the store that is left is lovely but quite a drive from my magical bamboo forest.

Comment

• Originally posted by NOMnomNOM View Post
                      I'll have to chime in. I LOVE eBooks. For me, it's mostly about convenience. I can take my whole library just about anywhere. I can buy a book anywhere i have a data connection. This is also a bonus for those selling eBooks. I would assume that there would be more book sales based on impulsive purchases. I no longer have to go to a bookstore or wait for a book to arrive after I order it online. It's all magic and so very primal
                      I'd like to add my two cents worth. I'm sort of split, with a foot in both camps.

Like naiadknight, I love the look, feel, smell of books. I fell in love with books at a very early age and seriously doubt I'll ever fall out of love with them. Recently though, I've discovered the convenience of ebooks, especially when traveling. So I tend to buy both. My genre of choice is scifi/fantasy, so I'll definitely be reading Panda's book when it's available.

With the plethora of tablets, ebook readers, smart phones, etc. on the market now, and the tech-savvy kids we're raising, I think ebooks will become the standard and hard copies the exception.

<short rant follows>
                      Let me preface my next comments with a disclaimer. I'm not a published author, nor am I an agent, editor, publisher, or associated with the publishing industry in any way. Therefore, I believe the derision ebooks receive online is due more to the loss of revenue for the publishing houses than anything else except there will always be snobs where any of the arts are concerned, and writing is no exception. I've seen authors ripped to shreds because their writing didn't conform to somebody's idea of "literary correctness", as if the critics had the right to decide what was good or not based on some nebulous definition of literary. JMHO
                      <steps down off the soapbox>
                      "There are nights when the wolves are silent and only the moon howls." - George Carlin

Comment

• Originally posted by naiadknight View Post
                        If it's one of my favorite authors (King, Gaiman, Pratchett, Moore, Maguire,etc.), then yes, I'll pay full price (less the B&N discount) for a new book of theirs. If it's a shot in the dark based on the premise sounding good and liking snippets of the writing paging throught the book, I'll Half Price Book prices. If it's a complete shot in the dark based on the back cover synopsis, it better be less than a couple bucks, preferably free, and in hard copy.
                        If it were one of the Harry Potter books (which I enjoyed tremendously) I would pay full price for any medium and do it gladly. It could even be written on cocktail napkins. But other than Rowling and a few others in my favorite author stable, I'm just not going to pay that much no matter the format. The shots in the dark, as you call them, shoot themselves in the foot by being costly. In the past few years, I've stopped making impulse buys of paperbacks at the airport because I'd rather have my ten bucks plus tax. But if it were an eBook format for under six dollars and looked interesting, I might reconsider.

Comment

If it were one of the Harry Potter books (which I enjoyed tremendously) I would pay full price for any medium and do it gladly. It could even be written on cocktail napkins. But other than Rowling and a few others in my favorite author stable, I'm just not going to pay that much no matter the format. The shots in the dark, as you call them, shoot themselves in the foot by being costly. In the past few years, I've stopped making impulse buys of paperbacks at the airport because I'd rather have my ten bucks plus tax. But if it were an eBook format for under six dollars and looked interesting, I might reconsider.
                          Hence the half price book price requirement. I'll pay $3-4 for a chance at a new author love, provided it's hard copy. I'm not paying anything over a dollar (and most likely not even that) for something I hae no clue on.
                          My Latest Journal

Comment

• I'll chime in with some more e-book love... we moved a couple years ago, from an old character place that had an entire huge wall of built-in bookshelf to a small modern 3-level townhouse with no built-ins at all and space for very few standing shelves. I had to downsize my book collection pretty drastically. I got rid of all but about 2 dozen paperbacks and all I kept were some useful texts, a few cookbooks, and the books I have as a small "lending library" for my clients (so, baby care, breastfeeding, etc.). BUT I am a voracious reader and go through several books a week on average, so with frequent trips to the library and the use of my store credit at the numerous used book stores around town, our coffee table (and bedside tables, and space beside the bathtub, and kitchen table...) were constantly filled with piles of books. It was a mess, and it was unmanageable. So despite my general luddite tendencies and hatred for single-purpose gadgetry, I bought a Kindle. And it's been the best thing EVER. No more book clutter. I can read literally HUNDREDS of trashy sci-fi, fantasy and romance novels and there is NO EVIDENCE!!! lying around my house. People see impressive scientific texts and work-related books! They don't see what I *actually* read which is largely cheap and free crap (and some not-so-crap, just cause it's cheap doesn't mean it's not good). Plus I can put my Kindle in a zip-loc bag and read it in the bathtub and it's actually less vulnerable to nasty water-based accidents than a paper book.

My main rationale for buying the Kindle though was that frequently, at work, I am stuck at a client's place, wearing the client's baby while the client goes to have a nap or runs some errands, and once I finish the dusting or laundry or whatever, I can't figure out how to work their fancy TV so I need books - and the Kindle fits nicely in my handbag, and has free 3G access so if I run out of book, I can just get another one and I never have to resort to poking the baby so it wakes up and I'm not bored anymore. My Kindle makes me a better postpartum doula ;-)

On price - I will buy anything under $5 if it looks remotely interesting, and I'll pay up to $15 for a new book from an author I love. (Naomi Novik's new one is out in just a little over a month!) I've found several authors whose work I love that way (actually I think the first Naomi Novik book I read was a Kindle freebie - I fully approve of offering the first book in a series free, I never would have looked at it otherwise and I love, love, LOVE the Temeraire books - you should check them out, Gay Panda - it's the Napoleonic wars reimagined with an airborne/intelligence division consisting of dragons, but with the dragons occupying a somewhat nebulous place in a society in which slavery has not yet been abolished... good stuff!)

I would download your e-book in a second and put it on my Kindle happily. I would be less pleased to have to buy a paper copy from the store. In fact, I don't ever buy paper books any more. If it's something I really, really want to read, I'll get it from the library - but otherwise I just grumble when it's not available for Kindle and forget about it.

Comment

• I agree, Tala Mosi, that eBooks are likely to become standard. As the technology with which to view them becomes more inexpensive and people grow up with them as normal, that is probably inevitable. I would hate for paper books to become relics, however! I will probably end up splitting the difference one day when I actually own a Kindle or some such contraption - the books that I truly cherish are going to be paper, so I have that joy still, and the others will be digital. What a strange time to live in!

Love your disclaimer. I've grown up being told that self-publishing is the ultimate mark of a loser. If you didn't break in the traditional way, then you just weren't good enough. For some writers, this is true. I knew a woman who was trying to find a publisher for a book intended for a juvenile audience of girls 8-11, and her protagonist was a 40-year-old man. She hadn't read a single book intended for that age group and knew nothing about it, she refused to edit or consider a younger, female protagonist, and the only way she'll ever get it published is through doing it herself.

But then there are other writers who create marvelous books and get the exact same form rejections she did. There aren't too many places at the table any longer with the consolidation of the publishing industry, and they're narrowing down what they'll take. It makes perfect sense that they would ridicule self-published eBooks, which are usually more cheaply priced than their own and will cut into profit. And yes, some of the ridicule is deserved, because many of the books are very bad and there was a reason they were rejected from traditional publishing. But some of those eBooks are going to be good, because there was nothing wrong with them except that they didn't easily fit in a box. With anyone-can-do-it epublishing, now the consumer is going to decide what is worth money and what isn't, instead of an NY publisher. It's an interesting shift in control.

Comment

• I think it has been just over the past year that I switched to the e-books....I don't own a kindle or a nook or any other dedicated e-reader, but I have downloaded the kindle and nook for my pc which I also have on my iPod Touch and phone, so I can continue to read when I am away from home - like waiting at the orthodontist for my kid for example. I download alot of free books - and have read many that were actually pretty good - but when they are not good (like can't get past the first chapter not good), I don't care since I didn't pay anything anyway. One thing I really like is being able to read reviews first and browsing is so much easier than standing in a bookstore, plus I can make the font as big as I want and don't have to mess with the reading glasses and I can read in the dark. I don't usually pay much more than $3-$5 for any that I download that aren't free, but will spend more if it is really an author I like. Although, I have to really want to read it to pay more than $10 instead of just waiting until it comes down or I can get it from the library - I have lots of free books to fill in the time

Comment

Working...
                                X