Primal With A Side Of FABULOUS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Redflame View Post
    Gay Panda, I must ask, do you restrict your calories, or just simply aim for very low carb and high fat? I am seeing alot of people that are having a better success with restricting the calories in addition to the PB guidelines.....this seems to really apply to women and/or people with a substantial amount of weight to drop.

I know a calorie is not just a calorie, different food groups have different reactions to the body (and some people are effected differently) But I am just wondering, now that you have hit that important 50 pound mark, do you restrict and then adjust your calorie intake as you plug along, or do you even track it at all?
    At this point, I'm shooting for very low carb and high fat, because this seems to work best for me. Too many carbohydrates and the cravings kick in, and my loss slows when it is already slow enough. So my carbs are coming only from nuts, seeds, and salads. I'm off fruit for now (cravings, sigh, but it's helpful that what I like is out of season).

My calories are tracked inadvertently because I put everything into my LoseIt app to monitor how much fat I'm getting. My body seems to cycle when left to its own devices, so that one day I'll have 1000 calories and the next day 1800. If my loss grinds to a halt (for longer than the normal pauses it takes every few months) I will think about restriction. But my body already restricts somewhat because the fat is so high.
    JOIN THE PANDA SHOW!!! Primal With A Side Of FABULOUS and PANDALOONERY!

Comment

• @NOMnomNOM, I love your screen name!!! Thank you for posting!

@Sigi and PixieKitten, I also do not have a Kindle (not yet). And I know FAR TOO WELL what it is like to not have the spare cash for a purchase like that. So I will be releasing the book in serial form for free, a chapter of it each week, and you can read it that way. Lady Friend (who does not write science fiction and yet is much more tech-savvy than Gay Panda) set up the website yesterday. We poked all about to make sure that it would be easily readable on a computer screen.

Must start saving for my own Kindle . . . I think my first download is going to be The Primal Blueprint Cookbook. It has such good reviews and Gay Panda needs to branch out a little in the kitchen.

Comment

• OK, I just opened up a new tab and bought a Kindle edition of The Dwarves. I'm almost through my 2nd read of Dance With Dragons and was dreading being bookless for an upcoming 12-hour flight. But now I have a book! Panda, your log is dangerous. I don't have a Kindle, but I read on my phone.

P.S. Love Oryx & Crake and Year of the Flood!

P.P.S. Love to Primal Coach Kitty!
        Cooking Primal with Otter - Journal
        Otter's (Defunct) Primal Log
        "Not baked goods, Professor, baked bads!" ~ The Tick

Comment

• Gay Panda's sci fi/fantasy choices closely mirror mine... Gay Panda may also enjoy Lois McMaster Bujold? The Vorkosigan saga is fun. Ooo! And Kage Baker! You HAVE to read the Company series. Super-cool sciency ideas, and really, really interesting characters. Also her young adult book "Bird of the River" is *well* worth reading.

And CONGRATULATIONS on losing 50 lbs. That's fantastic. And also - I have a 6-year-old. The thought of a kid that age weighing 100 lbs is horrifying. Mine weighs 42 lbs. Her heaviest friend (who is also more than 6 inches taller - well above average height) weighs just over 60. Another 40 on top of that? Poor child. And his poor mother - she must feel awful. And helpless.

Comment

• Congratulations on the 50 lbs!

I read mostly fantasy and my favourites have to be Terry Brooks' The Word and The Void and Shannara series. I also love reading Jim Butcher's books.
            There are two wolves fighting within a man's heart, one is Love, the other is Hate. The one that wins is the one you feed.

My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. - Jack Layton

The Primal Adventures of Griffin - Huzzah!

Comment

• Gay Panda - I spent a few days last week reading your journal - it was an extremely entertaining way to get through the normally dull work day You inspired me to start my own journal and to stick with the PB even when it would be stretching it to say that the scale is inching down - centimetering would be a more accurate description.

Congratulations on the 50 lbs! And I'm so sorry about Primal Coach Kitty - I hope she recovers soon. I have my own Primal Kitty - but not only is she a failure as a coach, I think she is trying to sabatoge me in my weight loss journey. She sleeps on me at night and gets very irritated when I disturb her to go cook my primal breakfast or hit the gym. I think she would be much happier if I lounged around all the time so she always had a warm body to nap on.

I love your fantasy list too - of all my reader friends, not one has ever heard of Jackaroo, which has always been one of my all time favorites. It's one of those books I wish some film executive would discover because I think it would make an amazing movie.

Comment

• @Griffin - THANK YOU!!! I will have to check out Jim Butcher.

@Token Chick - That's funny, you're the first person I know who has recognized the name Jackaroo! I'm glad you started your journal. It is so hard to be patient with weight loss, especially when one hits stretches when nothing changes for weeks. (Thank Valhalla for measurements.)

Comment

• heartfelt congrats on losing the big 50! What an amazing feeling that must be! I can't wait till I get there, & I have a ways to go but I will get there...& then some!

I am also so glad to hear that Primal Kitty is doing some better. Is she back home with you yet?

have a wonderful evening!
                  Goal: Don't worry be happy!

Comment

• Yes, Primal Coach Kitty is back home. But she is broken, poor little thing. Her back legs just won't work the same, so she has a sway when she walks and her jumps off the chairs have resulted in her crashing to the floor. Then she just lies there in a stunned lump. The vet says that this is better than it was yesterday, so hopefully she will make more strides forward. But it is so terrible to see her this way when two weeks ago she was stampeding through the house after Benign Poltergeist. My poor kitty!

Comment

• Originally posted by Gay Panda View Post
                      As requested, here is a list of science fiction/fantasy books that Gay Panda has enjoyed:
                      Thank you, helpful Panda! I have read a few of your suggestions (and agree with your opinion of them), and now I have more to hunt down! :-)
                      Thanks also to others for their added ideas. I am making a list. My library will be reeling from all the requests.
                      I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.

Oscar Wilde

Comment

• Originally posted by Gay Panda View Post
                        @Sigi and PixieKitten, I also do not have a Kindle (not yet). And I know FAR TOO WELL what it is like to not have the spare cash for a purchase like that. So I will be releasing the book in serial form for free, a chapter of it each week, and you can read it that way. Lady Friend (who does not write science fiction and yet is much more tech-savvy than Gay Panda) set up the website yesterday. We poked all about to make sure that it would be easily readable on a computer screen.
                        Valhalla bless you and Lady Friend! What a wonderful and generous idea. I will have to send you a little pressie of thanks, or buy an e-book copy anyway to support you in your endeavours.

Oh - and YAY! and HIGH FIVE!! and various other expressions of excitement on the 50 lb down. You are an inspiration! Go Panda!
                        Last edited by Sigi; 01-20-2012, 06:32 AM.
                        I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.

Oscar Wilde

Comment

• If you do not have a Kindle or a smartphone or a tablet to download the Kindle app, you can still download the Kindle app on your computer. If you go to Amazon's Web site you can find it there. I have the Kindle app on my tablet, my smartphone and my computers.

For SciFi I also really like:

Steve Alten - the Meg series
                          Daniel Arenson - The Requiem trilogy
                          The Game of Thrones Series
                          Anything by Michael Crichton - I'm reading his new one Micro right now
                          I also loved all the Frank Herbert "Dune" books
                          Anne McCaffrey's books - both the dragon series and the singer series

Comment

• Holy fuck, how'd I miss your joural?! Sci fi, Valhalla references, aminals... Rest assured, I WILL be back to stalk your journal.
                            Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
                            My Latest Journal

Comment

• Originally posted by hockeyfan7 View Post
                              If you do not have a Kindle or a smartphone or a tablet to download the Kindle app, you can still download the Kindle app on your computer. If you go to Amazon's Web site you can find it there. I have the Kindle app on my tablet, my smartphone and my computers.

For SciFi I also really like:

Steve Alten - the Meg series
                              Daniel Arenson - The Requiem trilogy
                              The Game of Thrones Series
                              Anything by Michael Crichton - I'm reading his new one Micro right now
                              I also loved all the Frank Herbert "Dune" books
                              Anne McCaffrey's books - both the dragon series and the singer series
                              I love the kindle app on my tablet!!!! and it syncs to all of my devices (computer, notebook, smartphone)

Much love sent out to Primal Coach Kitty

Comment

• PART ONE: Once Young Gay Panda accepted that the chances of growing up into a Pegasus were remote at best, it became imperative to find another goal for my approaching adulthood.

I stopped crashing into the school fence in my efforts to fly over it and cast about for a new quest. The details of how I selected ‘a person of culture’ are not important*, but I threw myself into it with ferocity. The rules seemed straightforward, gleaned from television and movies and books, and I was confident that once I learned them, I would transform from a gawky, socially awkward cub into an adult of impeccable grace and refinement.

A person of culture attended the ballet or symphony in a snappy black ensemble and with every last cowlick whipped into submission by an expensive gel. The ticket to the show was as crisp and free of scuffs as the day it was printed, and offered to the usher immediately upon arrival instead of after a frantic search through clothing. Then to the seats, always front and center in order to take in the whole of the performance, and people of culture never had to stop to use the can first, or fidget while waiting for the lights to dim. They spoke confidently to those around them about Beethoven and Wagner, and how they once saw a rendition of Romeo et Juliette at the Opera Bastille in Paris done in contemporary dance. Contemporary! I know! But it was magnificent, simply magnificent.

Of course, a person of culture spoke with an accent. I was torn between British, Irish, and maybe Charleston. My heart leaned to Irish, although television taught me that British would be better. I perfected the imperious sniff of many a cartoon butler, and practiced my sarcastic clap as demonstrated by Mary Poppins in the penguin scene**. It was all right to scoff in this fashion at some hapless opera singer unable to fill the auditorium with a proper swell of voice. The nerve of doing such disgrace to a classic! But this would not often be required of me, as I would attend only the best performances. A crisp, monogrammed handkerchief would be in my pocket, so that I could offer it to the person in the next seat should he or she be overcome by an arabesque pirouette or a soaring sweep of glissando. Though equally moved, I would keep a stiff upper lip. Most nights post-show would find me in the lobby (still with no need to use the can) using such adjectives as smashing to my equally refined companions. Once home, and by lamp or candlelight, I would take down a tragedy of Euripides to read in the original Greek, not English, thank you very much.

So that is the adult I believed that I would one day be, and then there is the adult that I became.

Comment

Working...
                                X