Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Primal With A Side Of FABULOUS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Gay Panda View Post
    My friend just told me about that series! She advised me to skip it because the death of the lead was so annoying to her. I'm reading some supernatural horror (and of course, right at bedtime so I freak myself out).
    Divergent: This has been, by far, my favorite trilogy EVER. Of course, I have yet to read your books (they're on the list, I promise). I liked this trilogy better than Hunger Games and Hunger Games is what started my trilogy madness. I can't wait til the movie comes out in March. I'm DYING to catch a shirtless glimpse of Four. Yum!
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 204 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)



    Comment


    • Originally posted by jenn26point2 View Post
      Divergent: This has been, by far, my favorite trilogy EVER. Of course, I have yet to read your books (they're on the list, I promise). I liked this trilogy better than Hunger Games and Hunger Games is what started my trilogy madness. I can't wait til the movie comes out in March. I'm DYING to catch a shirtless glimpse of Four. Yum!
      Maybe I'll add it to my list then and see if I end up as annoyed as my friend was about it. She had a serious grudge going on.

      Hunger Games was a funny case for me - I couldn't stand the book (only read part of the first one and gave up) but I enjoyed both of the movies and I'm looking forward to the next one. The same was true of Practical Magic (loathed the book, adored the movie).
      JOIN THE PANDA SHOW!!! Primal With A Side Of FABULOUS and PANDALOONERY!

      Comment


      • O.O

        I didn't even know Practical magic was a book!

        I want to live in that house.
        Depression Lies

        Comment


        • I can't think of any other way for Divergent to end... seriously... are they supposed to just live happily ever after? No... I don't think that would work in this context. There has to be shock factor. And her death was it. And it was fitting, honestly. Maybe as an author you can think of an alternate ending. I can't.
          Primal since March 5, 2012
          SW: 221 | CW: 204 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)



          Comment


          • HELP PANDA PROCRASTINATE.

            What is everyone reading right now? I've got two books left to go in the Supernatural Horror Box Set (just started Speed Dating with the Dead) and then I need to replenish my list. I'm up for Gothic horror or literary or thrillers or military fiction or paranormal romance or YA or pretty much anything. Except zombies. No zombies.

            I like good books. I like bad books that are so dreadful that it makes them good (Flowers in the Attic, for example). I like new books and old books and popular books and overlooked books. I also like cat videos, but that has nothing to do with anything at the moment.

            If you do not recommend something, I will have to get back to work. Please don't do that to me.
            JOIN THE PANDA SHOW!!! Primal With A Side Of FABULOUS and PANDALOONERY!

            Comment


            • "Dangerous Women"... well technically its a very thick book of different shortish stories by different writers including whats his name that wrote Game of thrones (Finish the last book Dammit! ) and Joe Ambercrombie .
              Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

              http://primaldog.blogspot.co.uk/

              Comment


              • I'm only good for suggestions in the YA genre, really. Laini Taylor has some really beautifully written stuff. I love, love, love Fairies of Dreamdark (slightly younger, not really teen series), but less enthusiastic about Daughter of Smoke & Bone. The romance is so Romeo & Juliet.

                For something else... Vampire Hunter D. I wonder if it's better written in Japanese. The translation is fine, but it's very repetitive and overly flowery. And oh, so freaking sexist... But somehow, I keep reading the series. It's a post-apocalyptic vampire Western, basically, taking place something like 20k yrs in the future. I think you'd get a kick out of it. D is a dhamphir, half-human and half-vampire, but he's absurdly strong, whereas most other dhamphir are not. He's also for some reason absurdly gorgeous and there's a lot of writing about heaving breasts and such. It's good for a laugh and a cringe.
                Depression Lies

                Comment


                • The Neon Rain by James Lee Burke - mystery/suspense. Tragic detective, murder on the bayou, the "dusky mystery of the French Quarter." (The stuff in quotes is from the back of the book.) My second time reading it because with my memory, reading a book twice is no big deal.
                  "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

                  B*tch-lite

                  Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

                  Comment


                  • I obviously loved Divergent (YA). And I know you haven't read that.

                    I also have been reading the Maze Runner series (YA - from a male point of view). It's got 4 books to it (one being a prequel).

                    I read the Matched trilogy (YA) recently. It was decent.
                    Primal since March 5, 2012
                    SW: 221 | CW: 204 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)



                    Comment


                    • I liked Divergent but the ending was hard for people to handle. But hello, it's dystopian - happy endings don't really happen. I liked this Nancy Farmer YA dystopian series (House of the Scorpion and Lord of Opium). I love Holly Black and dark fairie tales in general but you've probably read all of that. I'm reading Prince/king/Emperor of Thorns right now and it's good. Mark Lawrence, I think. I also read the Marie Lu YA series called Legend or something like that. It was OK.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Gay Panda View Post
                        HELP PANDA PROCRASTINATE.

                        What is everyone reading right now? I've got two books left to go in the Supernatural Horror Box Set (just started Speed Dating with the Dead) and then I need to replenish my list. I'm up for Gothic horror or literary or thrillers or military fiction or paranormal romance or YA or pretty much anything. Except zombies. No zombies.

                        I like good books. I like bad books that are so dreadful that it makes them good (Flowers in the Attic, for example). I like new books and old books and popular books and overlooked books. I also like cat videos, but that has nothing to do with anything at the moment.

                        If you do not recommend something, I will have to get back to work. Please don't do that to me.
                        i'm currently reading game of thrones, if you haven't read it why are you not reading it?

                        i recommend the kate daniels series by ilona andrews. sorry i don't have cheesey books to recommend, i can't do cheesey books anymore though i did devour v.c. andrews when i was in grades 5-8

                        so kate daniels series by ilona andrews. game of thrones by the cuddly devil. joe abercrombie. harry dresden series (urban fantasy) and/or the codex alera (high fantasy) by jim butcher, the first merry gentry book by laurell k hamilton for questionable sex fairy cheese

                        you ever done it with a guy with tentacles? do you want to?

                        obligatory cat gift for the panda

                        beautiful
                        yeah you are

                        Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
                        lol

                        Comment


                        • Have you tried Jasper Fforde's stuff, Panda? I recently read The Last Dragonslayer (a YA novel) which I rather enjoyed, and am about the start the sequel. But he's most famous for his Thursday Next series - the first book (The Eyre Affair) just blew me away with its imaginativeness, though later installments trailed off a bit.

                          Here's Jen from Epbot's review of Dragonslayer. She also has a book review page on her website which might give you some inspiration too - I think you may be simpatico with her tastes in reading.

                          Happy procrastinating!
                          I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.

                          Oscar Wilde

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by bloodorchid View Post
                            i'm currently reading game of thrones, if you haven't read it why are you not reading it?

                            i recommend the kate daniels series by ilona andrews. sorry i don't have cheesey books to recommend, i can't do cheesey books anymore though i did devour v.c. andrews when i was in grades 5-8

                            so kate daniels series by ilona andrews. game of thrones by the cuddly devil. joe abercrombie. harry dresden series (urban fantasy) and/or the codex alera (high fantasy) by jim butcher, the first merry gentry book by laurell k hamilton for questionable sex fairy cheese

                            you ever done it with a guy with tentacles? do you want to?

                            obligatory cat gift for the panda

                            FFF I was just about to recommend Butcher. I was afraid an ex would ruin the series for me,* but it's just too good.

                            *He thought he was a wizard and went absolutely crazy. Not making this up.

                            Comment


                            • Thank you all for the book recommendations! I really wanted to get underway on some of those tonight, but instead I am hosting a visit from both the Headache Fairy and my bad dominatrix Mistress GERD. So I am going to hunt down the spot where Benign Poltergeist hid the pain meds, and I leave you with this.

                              I don't know what it is either, but these people dance far better than Gay Panda does.

                              JOIN THE PANDA SHOW!!! Primal With A Side Of FABULOUS and PANDALOONERY!

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by bloodorchid View Post
                                you ever done it with a guy with tentacles? do you want to?
                                Only YOU would ever ask me that.

                                Duly added to the bucket list.
                                JOIN THE PANDA SHOW!!! Primal With A Side Of FABULOUS and PANDALOONERY!

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X