Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jenn26point2 View Post
    By the way, your Maine is beautiful!
    Thanks! She is, of course, Supreme Ruler of All She Surveys, and we are her minions. Even our Evil Nocturnal Poltergeist is her minion.

Comment

• Because you can pee outside without people looking at you funny.
      Because you can see stars you don't see in civilization.
      Because you can go several days without bathing and that's ok.
      Because there are things that are inedible at home that taste divine outdoors. (We learned that about Dinty Moore the hard way. Ugh)
      Because you can abandon everything that you can't carry on your back or on your pack animal (if you have one) and live simply.

After 9 days in the back country with NOLS, I came back, took a looooovely shower, and I totally would have gone right back out again, if I could have.

I need to camp more often.
      http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

Originally Posted by TheFastCat: Less is more more or less

And now I have an Etsy store: CattailsandCalendula

Comment

• Winencandy's idea of camping:

Queen bed, AC, fridge/freezer, microwave, shower, toilet, etc
        "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
        "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
        "Moderation sucks." Suse
        "Wine is a vegetable." Meaty
        "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

Comment

• the closest i've been to actual camping is sleeping in backyards and cabins in woods

that said, nature is like a battery charger and i am the empty rechargeable battery

that's mostly why i doubt i'll ever live in cities
          beautiful
          yeah you are

Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
          lol

Comment

• Originally posted by winencandy View Post
            Winencandy's idea of camping:

Queen bed, AC, fridge/freezer, microwave, shower, toilet, etc
            w0rd

In my Army Basic Training days, we had to do 4 or 5 days "in the field" where we slept in tents in sleeping bags and spent the day "manning our post", without showers. I was grateful to be placed on flag duty (lowering and folding the flag at the end of the duty day) b/c that required a daily shower and time out of the woods. My yearly 'field trip' sucked too... I don't do well in hot with no shower... maybe it would have been better if I was wearing shorts and t's instead of full battle rattle...

That being said, I enjoy camping with some modern amenties... Like in the pic above. DH and I used to "camp" every weekend with his parents - each pair in their own camper. We showered regularly at the shower-house, we slept indoors. I can't remember if our camper had AC or not - it was a 1970's model Ford Mini-Home with rotting wood that we bought off of his senior grandparents who needed money - I think we cut a hole in the side of it and inserted a window air conditioner unit, but I can't remember for sure - we didn't shower in it, either, b/c the water heater leaked horribly... also can't remember if the heat worked. We owned it for two years and at one point the fridge died. We replaced it with one of those big dorm fridges and supplemented with a "real" fridge outside the camper - we were parked at a permanent campground/site with yearly rates. It was classy, let me tell ya! We sold our camper and the spot after two years. MIL and FIL kept theirs for a long time, and we'd occasionally crash in their camper after we had kids, but kids and camping and rivers with fast paced currents are not a relaxing time... We plan to get a real camper in the future but it's years down the road for us yet.
            Primal since March 5, 2012
            SW: 221 | CW: 204 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Comment

• Never been camping. Closest I've ever been was a no-tell motel in deep east Oklahoma.
              Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
              My Latest Journal

Comment

• For all of you not-really campers: | MaryJanesFarm
                http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

Originally Posted by TheFastCat: Less is more more or less

And now I have an Etsy store: CattailsandCalendula

Comment

• I "paid my dues" rough camping. Tenting as a child, teen, married with young children. Then we "moved up" to a tent trailer, and then an old trailer (no ac, no microwave, no shower) and finally two years ago we upgraded to the above photo.

Oh, I forgot, it has a built in stereo

I'm NOT going back to a tent!!!
                  "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
                  "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
                  "Moderation sucks." Suse
                  "Wine is a vegetable." Meaty
                  "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

Comment

• Yup, I did tent camping, then communal cabins, and now single family cabins. I like in-door pluming and hot showers too. Although, I did make first class girscout based on camping!
                    Female 55
                    Starting wt: 198, Goal: 135, Current with PB: 165
                    Started at a size 16 down to loose 10

With PB my asthma has improved, low back pain is gone, & I've got more energy

My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60175.html

Comment

• There is fun in "real camping", but I don't want to do it for longer than a couple days. A vacation in a camper... that I can do for a week easily... not sure I really call it "camping"... to me it's more like a weekend getaway with a mobile hotel room. lol It's fun and I enjoy it and look forward to the day when we do it again. We used to do it every weekend.
                      Primal since March 5, 2012
                      SW: 221 | CW: 204 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Comment

• My idea of "roughing it" is a hotel with no pool. Camping is not for me. I've never dealt well with discomfort, even as a little kid. If I'm too cold or too hot or feeling gross, sticky, and unshowered or have a lump in the mattress, I just can't sleep, and then I get tired and headachy and grumpy and no one wants to talk to me. It's better if I don't go camping.

Also, I hate bugs.
                        Height: 5'7"
                        SW: 178.0 (1/1/2013)
                        CW: 163.2
                        GW: I'll know when I get there!

My Primal Journal

Comment

• Usually I am content with my somewhat below-average hearing. I don't really want to hear what people are saying most of the time anyway. But last night, I did. While sitting in a restaurant, another party came in and took the table across a very narrow aisle. And here were the tantalizing snippets of their conversation that I plucked out.

"-so then we were all naked in the hot tub-"
                          I perked up, but it was several seconds before I could make out more.
                          "-and that was the last day she worked for the company-"
                          And that was all I could hear.

Damn you, shoddy hearing.
                          JOIN THE PANDA SHOW!!! Primal With A Side Of FABULOUS and PANDALOONERY!

Comment

• Oh, Pandapants! It's the most wonderful time of the year (turn your sound UP!):

http://vine.co/v/bg3Bhn5t9OF
                            Got Panda? Primal With A Side Of FABULOUS and now Pandaloonery!

Comment

• ZOMG I REQUIRE CADBURY EGGS!!!

I can throw one at the rampaging rabid bear as defense when we hike on Saturday.
                              JOIN THE PANDA SHOW!!! Primal With A Side Of FABULOUS and PANDALOONERY!

Comment

• This year are you going to try making those primal creme eggs that someone posted last year?

Comment

Working...
                                X