Primal With A Side Of FABULOUS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Gay Panda View Post
    Apparently some people make a habit out of buying books, reading them very quickly, and then returning them for a refund.)
    I consider that to be flat out thievery. I will go to the library and read books, and I will borrow books from friends. I actually buy a lot of (e)books.

I will not return a book I've bought & read. If I happen to buy a book that I discover is Not For Me, I will first try to think of someone I can gift it to. Next choice is to leave it on the free book table at the local library.

Comment

• You can learn a lot from a horrible book, especially how not to write a book. Wanna learn how to cram too much preaching into a sci-fi novel? Read Heinlein's For Us, The Living. Wanna learn how to ruin a good story with bad dialogue? Read any number of he said/ she said novels. Wanna shove so much opinion and history down the reader's that that they choke on it? Read Cry The Beloved Country.
      I refuse to return any book I've read. If I've read it, then I accomplished the purpose the author wanted for the book. I may threaten to use it as kindling if I found it exceptionally horrid (and only one book to date has earned that threat); I may palm it off on someone else; I may give it to the library or sell it to the used bookstore; I may even delete an e-book. In reality, I refuse to return anything I've used, because that's cheap, ghetto-trash behavior that I've worked my whole damn life to rise above.
      Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
      My Latest Journal

Comment

• I used to work in publishing, and a lot of booksellers pay their bills using returns. The publisher (or self-publisher, in Panda's case) ends up eating those costs, and that eventually means less royalties for writers and lower wages for staff because that's where they make cuts to keep the profits up.

The book industry is a depressing place.
        “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

• Also, summer is the time for raspberries. I'm totally okay with giving up on sugary treats, but a life without fresh raspberries is not worth the sacrifice.
          “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

• Originally posted by RaeVynn View Post
            I consider that to be flat out thievery. I will go to the library and read books, and I will borrow books from friends. I actually buy a lot of (e)books.

I will not return a book I've bought & read. If I happen to buy a book that I discover is Not For Me, I will first try to think of someone I can gift it to. Next choice is to leave it on the free book table at the local library.
            It's actually been a lot of fun for me to read authors debating this issue.

As a voracious reader in the past, I purchased some really bad books now and then. I never returned them to the store. It didn't even occur to me to do that. I just thought well, I won't buy anything else from THAT author. And I didn't. Then I donated the bad books to the library to let someone else be tortured by them, and told friends not to waste their money if the author's name ever came up in conversation.

Some authors get really upset by the returns, because of the thievery issue. Books don't magically appear in files within a writer's computer, ready for publication; he or she has to compose every single letter and it can be painstaking work at times. That book a person can read in a matter of days took the author months to years to craft. So to enjoy a book and then return it, cheating the author of a few cents to a few dollars, is just low.

Other authors don't care about the returns, taking the view that someone might cheat that way, but that cheater might also like the book and recommend it to friends who won't game the system like that. So it's no big deal, the loss of two dollars or whatever it was, because they might gain more in the long run.

Then there is the whole argument about quality. Some of the self-published books on Amazon are truly horrendous creations. You wouldn't pay for a meal in a restaurant that had bugs or shards of glass in it, and some of these books have the literary equivalent of bugs and shards of glass in them. But with the Look Inside option that Amazon offers, you get to read a sizable chunk of every book for free. I've read dozens of them, and that chunk is more than enough to tell me if the book is worth investing the money in it. If I can't get into the first two chapters, I'm not going to pay and hold out hope that the rest will be any better. But many people don't have the time to do that and perhaps buy on impulse, and then circle sad faces on their feelings charts when they realize chapter is misspelled and the author can't maintain a verb tense in the same sentence. Returns are understandable. But where do you draw your personal line? Misspellings and crappy grammar make returns acceptable, but what about if those issues are fine and it's just the characters or plot a reader doesn't enjoy? That doesn't sit as well with me. I've had lots of restaurant meals that didn't tickle my personal palate, but it wasn't because anything was wrong with them. They just weren't for me. I didn't refuse to pay or slip a fake bug on my plate to get a free meal.

I haven't really formed my own opinion on this issue, but it's interesting to read how everyone thinks about it. And I should probably stop here, because this turned into a far longer post than I intended.
            JOIN THE PANDA SHOW!!! Primal With A Side Of FABULOUS and PANDALOONERY!

Comment

Interestingly enough, there was a program a few years back in some airport bookshops that allowed you to buy a book and bring it back on the return flight for I think half the cover price?

Never occurred to me to just ask for a full refund. What a sucker I am!

But anyway, the bookshop was encouraging this. I can easily plow through a 360-page paperback in a couple flights, and honestly -- I don't re-read books anymore, there is no reason for me to keep them. I'm wondering if this actually helped sales at all. I know it encouraged me to try an author I wasn't sure I'd like, because I figured at the very least I'd get some money back....
              Steph
              My Primal Meanderings

Comment

It is so very hard to untie weight from worth.

and there was Gay Panda in their midst, a former Petsmart dog washer
                Cool! Me To! I still wash dogs ( and give them posh haircuts )
                Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

http://primaldog.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

• The worst part was the dog hair going up my nose!!! Blech. Well, that and the boss who hated The Gays.

We're trying to take over the world, you know.

Comment

• I think the world would probably be a better place if The Gays took over. Or maybe just horrible in exciting new ways, but it couldn't get much worse, really.

I have never returned a book in my life, except for once when I bought one for my sister as a present and then found out she already had it. But I even bought a cookbook once that was totally defective - one section was printed twice and another was completely missing - but I didn't return it even though I totally could have because I WORKED AT THE DAMN STORE EVEN - because it had been marked down 50% and I knew that at that rate, nobody was getting any money for it and if I returned it, it would just cost the store money for shipping it back and the publisher money for disposal, and really, I already had 2 other Two Fat Ladies cookbooks (awesome, btw - one of the few cookbooks I actually use) and there can't have been much in that missing section I really needed to know.

Comment

• Originally posted by spughy View Post
                      I think the world would probably be a better place if The Gays took over. Or maybe just horrible in exciting new ways, but it couldn't get much worse, really.
                      That cracked me up. It would be horrible, but fabulously horrible.

Comment

That cracked me up. It would be horrible, but fabulously horrible.
                        and, consider the improvement in fashion sense... *grin*

[Reminds me of my friend Brad. Dear Brad. 6'6", and often wore his kilt to work. With a tie-dye t-shirt. Flamin' Fairy Gay Brad is how he describes himself!)

Comment

and, consider the improvement in fashion sense... *grin*

[Reminds me of my friend Brad. Dear Brad. 6'6", and often wore his kilt to work. With a tie-dye t-shirt. Flamin' Fairy Gay Brad is how he describes himself!)
                          Now, there's a man I'd like to be friends with.
                          I like badgers, books and booze, more or less in that order.

Comment

• I worked with a gentleman at a hotel near Dallas's Gay Pride neighborhood (Oak Lawn.) This is a VERY hoity toity hotel, 6 stars on a scale of 5, yadyada. Said gentleman was generally fairly reserved, but made no bones about the fact that he was about as fairy gay as they came. He generally kept it quiet because of the clientele (no use sending Granny with pearls and a checkbook into a heart attack quite yet.)
                            At one point, he happened to overhear a few of his coworkers (a maitre d' and a bellhop, if I remember right) bashing the gay community. This gentleman sidles up to them and just listens. As the maitre d' trails off, my coworker spoke up in the most stereotypical gay fairy voice you can imagine. "Oh, honey, we aren't so bad as all that. We're worse. We love EVERYONE." And he sashayed (I don't mean walked, he had his hips in on the action) away.
                            I and the rest of the housekeepers were about to bust our collective guts.
                            Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
                            My Latest Journal

Comment

• Today's Q: 195.8

In a Breaking News Update from Shelob across the street: ARF ARF ARF ARF ARF ARF ARF

Comment

The worst part was the dog hair going up my nose!!! Blech. Well, that and the boss who hated The Gays.

We're trying to take over the world, you know.
                                *Snerk*
                                If thats the worst you had to deal with, you must be one lucky panda... (or you dident stay there long )
                                Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

http://primaldog.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

Working...
                                X