Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Primal With A Side Of FABULOUS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Gay Panda View Post
    You win the Gay Panda Funny Point for today.

    "I'm sorry, gluten gives me Ebola." I am now very tempted to say this to someone.
    One more and you get a keychain!

    Panda - you're doing awesome as a Primal Panda. A little bite of evil bread is merely a bump under the wagon's wheel. No Biggie!

    As another option, wait until Poo Hurler is asleep and punt the loaf onto her lawn - Rugby Style!
    There are two wolves fighting within a man's heart, one is Love, the other is Hate. The one that wins is the one you feed.

    My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. - Jack Layton

    The Primal Adventures of Griffin - Huzzah!

    Comment


    • It makes for great writing! Perhaps not so much for great living. I'll possibly get run out of town on a rail for this but, really; it's just bread. The cortisol and stress that you put yourself under over this is probably doing you far more harm than a couple of mouthfuls of bread.

      I am no way advocating eating bread every day, let me be clear on that. What if from this you decided that you quite like bread actually, but you know that it really isn't the staff of life. Maybe you decide that you will eat bread only when you go to the steak place, or when bread pusher 'gifts' you some. Then every time you go to the market and see bread you can be all like "Mmm bread, I wonder when I'll see bread pusher again, that bread is sooo much better than the stuff here, I'll just wait." Then maybe when you see bread pusher you could say "That bread was really rather tasty and so fresh, thank you very much". Maybe next time they come you could say it's too much for just you, and could they just leave you with half, since you eat a lot less bread these days.

      Try reading this bit:

      The 80/20 Principle: When 20 Inches Toward 40 | Mark's Daily Apple
      Eat. Rejoice. Repeat. | Mark's Daily Apple
      Remember the 80/20 Principle | Mark's Daily Apple

      I don't think Mark wants you to feel guilty, I think he wants you to feel great, fabulous even.
      Live. Grow. Flourish.

      My Journal/story is at http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread38948.html

      Comment


      • Originally posted by phreebie View Post
        It makes for great writing! Perhaps not so much for great living. I'll possibly get run out of town on a rail for this but, really; it's just bread. The cortisol and stress that you put yourself under over this is probably doing you far more harm than a couple of mouthfuls of bread.

        I am no way advocating eating bread every day, let me be clear on that. What if from this you decided that you quite like bread actually, but you know that it really isn't the staff of life. Maybe you decide that you will eat bread only when you go to the steak place, or when bread pusher 'gifts' you some. Then every time you go to the market and see bread you can be all like "Mmm bread, I wonder when I'll see bread pusher again, that bread is sooo much better than the stuff here, I'll just wait." Then maybe when you see bread pusher you could say "That bread was really rather tasty and so fresh, thank you very much". Maybe next time they come you could say it's too much for just you, and could they just leave you with half, since you eat a lot less bread these days.
        No one is going to run you out of town on a rail in here, phreebie! Other perspectives are very welcome.

        I've noticed with my body that for the purposes of weight loss, 80/20 doesn't work. To maintain my weight, it works beautifully. But to lose, I need to be closer to 95/5. Every time I have bread, even a little, my loss stops for up to five days. (My body's overreaction is absolutely ridiculous. Gay Panda is a Very Very Sensitive Flower.) Since I already travel the Slow Train for weight loss, knowing that I've stopped myself for 5 days can be infuriating.

        Going to that steakhouse is totally worth it. I've usually anticipated the visit for a few weeks, I've prepped myself for the consequences, I go and I have a delicious meal of filet mignon and the best garlic bread in this world. I'm not eating bread just because it's there and I'm hungry, and I've had a stressful day. Their bread is an experience, and it's worth stalling myself every few months. But to stall myself just for a Drive-By Breading . . . it wasn't worth it. That bread caught me in a moment of weakness, and I don't want to treat bread as a comfort food.

        But I'm also being impatient, and your point about cortisol is completely correct. I'm so excited to finally have a tool in primal that works, to lose all this extra weight at last, that bumps in the road bother me more than they should. It is just bread, and it is just five days. I look forward to the day when I'm just maintaining, and can eat 80/20 with impunity.
        JOIN THE PANDA SHOW!!! Primal With A Side Of FABULOUS and PANDALOONERY!

        Comment


        • And the winner of the Lame Prize is . . . GAY PANDA!!!!

          I just remembered tonight that today is the start of my 30-Day October Challenge (I'll use the 31st day as a freebie.) Way to rip out of the gate!

          A: In order to get through the most boring book known to humanity and return it to my friend, I have to read 4 pages a day. I refuse to read the acknowledgements, introduction, glossary, footnotes, or appendices. That is insult to injury. I put a belt between my teeth just now, bit down hard, and got through pages 1-4. It was agony, and I almost threw the book at "ancient winds". Really? Feeling a little flowery, are we? I am thrilled to see that page 5 has lots of pictures and little text. I honestly haven't been this excited to see pictures in a book since I was in preschool. CHECK.

          B: Exercise. It's too late in the day and I've already showered. Fortunately, I only have to exercise every other day, on alternating days with flossing.

          C: Agents. Successfully avoided, but I have all week to procrastinate before I do this one.

          D: Floss. UGH. My gums are sore and bitter, and they're probably planning some retaliation. CHECK.

          So a successful day in my challenge! One day down, many more to go before my last Cadbury Egg.
          JOIN THE PANDA SHOW!!! Primal With A Side Of FABULOUS and PANDALOONERY!

          Comment


          • Hooray for successful challenge days!
            There are two wolves fighting within a man's heart, one is Love, the other is Hate. The one that wins is the one you feed.

            My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. - Jack Layton

            The Primal Adventures of Griffin - Huzzah!

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Griffin View Post
              As another option, wait until Poo Hurler is asleep and punt the loaf onto her lawn - Rugby Style!
              Griffin beat me to it! Panda the Bread Hurler.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Lilyheart View Post
                Griffin beat me to it! Panda the Bread Hurler.
                I should do this. She was cackling maniacally in her yard again today. The road in front of her house is covered in poo.
                JOIN THE PANDA SHOW!!! Primal With A Side Of FABULOUS and PANDALOONERY!

                Comment


                • Ooh, what is this heinously boring book?!

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by HeatherJ View Post
                    Ooh, what is this heinously boring book?!
                    It's about dog sled racing in Alaska. Which you'd think would be an interesting enough topic, but the writing is KILLING me. The author is trying so hard to sound poetic that she just sounds dumb. Skipping the introduction helped - that was what kept stopping me before. And thank Valhalla for cheesy cartoonish pictures taking up most of page 5!!!
                    JOIN THE PANDA SHOW!!! Primal With A Side Of FABULOUS and PANDALOONERY!

                    Comment


                    • Definitely do not stress the bread lapse. HOWEVER, look down the road. You know how Cadbury eggs are getting less appealing as they taste increasingly sickly sweet? Think about that garlic bread. Yummmmmmy butter. Savory garlic. And something to spread it on. Meh. As you stay primal over time, you may find that bread is a garlic-butter vehicle you care less about as you love more and more the garlic-butter and other delicious flavors you're using it to transport to your mouth and shrinking panda tummy.

                      Consider thinking about the concept of trying garlic butter on other things. Ask for it on the side and put it over your steak. Or potatoes if you eat white potatoes (I don't bother). I know you are not a veggie aficionado/a, but garlic butter over squash, wilted kale, sautéed onions, shredded brussels sprouts, or many many other things -- would be Awesome. (I am not sure about garlic butter over sweet potatoes but now I want to try it.)

                      I used to like bread. Maybe not as much as Gay Panda, but really good bread was definitely a tasty treat on my ideal smorgasbörd. But the truth is that bread in its essence is pretty damn dull. It *needs* butter, olive oil, gravy, nuttiness, cheese, something!

                      Kick emotional eating to the curb and lavish the toppings on better, whole foods. What's left?
                      Dry toast. Cardboard. They are equivalent to me: NotFood.

                      It might not happen that way for you, but it might.
                      "If man made it, don't eat it." ..Jack LaLanne
                      "It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are.
                      If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong." ..Richard Feynman

                      beachrat's new primal journal

                      Comment


                      • I wish they made real small loaves of bread at my favorite bakery. It's an artisan bakery, and I used to go in and buy a loaf, still warm, flavor of the day, and eat a few handfuls of it while the warmth and aroma percolated.

                        I've made the decision that I am allowing myself to buy three loaves of bread a year there. That sounds about right. Eat a warm wad, slice off a bit for a tomato (if in season) sandwich and freeze the rest.

                        On the same note, we have two superb pizzerias around here. I am allowed the occasional indulgence (I last indulged in June, I think.)

                        I've been officially low carb for a year now. I've lost 35 pounds and aim to lose another ten or something. And at this point I'm exploring Primal. But I wouldn't stress the occasional lapse. (I am realizing I signed up for the Challenge, and that I've also signed up for a food plan next weekend at an event I am going to... somewhere that weekend I will be eating stuffed portobello mushrooms, and I'm sure there will be grain in there.)

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by beachrat View Post
                          You know how Cadbury eggs are getting less appealing as they taste increasingly sickly sweet? Think about that garlic bread. Yummmmmmy butter. Savory garlic. And something to spread it on. Meh. As you stay primal over time, you may find that bread is a garlic-butter vehicle you care less about as you love more and more the garlic-butter and other delicious flavors you're using it to transport to your mouth and shrinking panda tummy.

                          Consider thinking about the concept of trying garlic butter on other things. Ask for it on the side and put it over your steak. Or potatoes if you eat white potatoes (I don't bother). I know you are not a veggie aficionado/a, but garlic butter over squash, wilted kale, sautéed onions, shredded brussels sprouts, or many many other things -- would be Awesome. (I am not sure about garlic butter over sweet potatoes but now I want to try it.)
                          The thought of Cadbury Eggs becoming less appealing? :::sob:::

                          I have been putting garlic butter on my steaks, how funny that you wrote that! It's delicious. There is actually half a rib eye in my fridge thus prepared, and I am trying to motivate myself to get off my comfy recliner and claim it for the Panda Cause.
                          JOIN THE PANDA SHOW!!! Primal With A Side Of FABULOUS and PANDALOONERY!

                          Comment


                          • I'll never be able to look a Cadbury's Creme Egg square in the face ever again.

                            How much weight have you lost Panda? I've lost 10lbs (4.6k) which sounds very little in numbers. But try lifting that in dumbells! My God they are heavy! And so I work out (loosely phrased) with 10lb dumbbells. and when I have lost 15lb I shall up my dumbbell weight and rejoice. It feels good lifting the amount you have lost.

                            Skip to the last chapter on sled racing. You can guess the middle bits. Anything for an easy life eh?

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by ItinerantChild View Post
                              I'll never be able to look a Cadbury's Creme Egg square in the face ever again.

                              How much weight have you lost Panda? I've lost 10lbs (4.6k) which sounds very little in numbers. But try lifting that in dumbells! My God they are heavy! And so I work out (loosely phrased) with 10lb dumbbells. and when I have lost 15lb I shall up my dumbbell weight and rejoice. It feels good lifting the amount you have lost.

                              Skip to the last chapter on sled racing. You can guess the middle bits. Anything for an easy life eh?
                              When I look at Cadbury Eggs now, I apologize to their abused brethren. Is nothing sacred?

                              My all-time High Score is 231 pounds of panda. It's hardly impressive by Guinness World Record standards, but my body has poor load-bearing capabilities and 231 made me hurt. In March when I started taking MDA seriously, I was 217. Because of a Drive-By Breading incident a few days ago giving me water retention, I am currently about 189. So that's 42 pounds total and 28 since March. Congratulations on your 10 pound loss! Every one is a victory and I hope that you're lifting that 15 pound dumbbell soon!

                              I would skip to the last chapter, but I'm such a bad liar that I'm afraid my friend will see it all over my face. Breaking it down into daily four-page torture sessions helps. Because really, what is so bad that you can't get through four lousy pages?! Especially when there are pictures.
                              JOIN THE PANDA SHOW!!! Primal With A Side Of FABULOUS and PANDALOONERY!

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Artemis-MA View Post
                                (I am realizing I signed up for the Challenge, and that I've also signed up for a food plan next weekend at an event I am going to...)
                                That is always how it works. I am glad that my 30 Day Challenge has little to do with food. It's like sending a psychic message out to the universe for someone to perversely bring ice cream cake to my house when this would never happen otherwise.
                                JOIN THE PANDA SHOW!!! Primal With A Side Of FABULOUS and PANDALOONERY!

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X