Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Primal With A Side Of FABULOUS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by drssgchic View Post
    That's the flaw with logical. If you're introduced to emotions but don't know how to balance the two, then you start making silly decisions like hoping people will surrender and come to their senses instead of just getting rid of them and starting over
    Perhaps. I honestly think the author wanted it both ways - Logical but not too much. I honestly liked Katniss. It made sense to me that a girl with a dead father, an adsentee mother (emotionally/needs wise), with no food and little prospects who has to take on the provider role would be cold and logical. It is survival. However, that doesn't necessarily play up well with the current teen crowd. So she had to make her more 'human' for lack of a better word. She could not go as far as Gail or Coin (was taht the District 13 chick's name?) and commit sensible, logical, but really not nice acts of war. She had to have something that people could relate too empathically.

    Comment


    • You're probably right. A bigger audience if she plays to both sides and all. I guess not many of us will identify more with her logic than her compassion
      http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

      Originally Posted by TheFastCat: Less is more more or less

      And now I have an Etsy store: CattailsandCalendula

      Comment


      • Originally posted by drssgchic View Post
        I guess not many of us will identify more with her logic than her compassion
        I think Orson Scott Card handled it better (the logic/compassion divide) with his character Ender. I couldn't put that book down, whereas Hunger Games I wandered away from pretty quickly.
        JOIN THE PANDA SHOW!!! Primal With A Side Of FABULOUS and PANDALOONERY!

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Gay Panda View Post
          I think Orson Scott Card handled it better (the logic/compassion divide) with his character Ender. I couldn't put that book down, whereas Hunger Games I wandered away from pretty quickly.
          I can see that though the Ender series bugged me for other reasons. Apparently I am never happy

          Comment


          • Originally posted by canio6 View Post
            I can see that though the Ender series bugged me for other reasons. Apparently I am never happy
            I should have clarified. I loved Ender's Game and Speaker for the Dead, but some of the others lost me and I never finished the series.

            I'm sure I could write something more intelligent than just that, but I've got Ke$ha playing in the background and siphoning my IQ.
            JOIN THE PANDA SHOW!!! Primal With A Side Of FABULOUS and PANDALOONERY!

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Gay Panda View Post
              I should have clarified. I loved Ender's Game and Speaker for the Dead, but some of the others lost me and I never finished the series.

              I'm sure I could write something more intelligent than just that, but I've got Ke$ha playing in the background and siphoning my IQ.
              Well, my issue with Ender was that a smart kid is not smarter than a smart adult. He and his siblings were described something like 'being as smart as college professors' or some such. Sure that is impressive in a kid, but do you know who else is as smart as a college professor? Yup, a college professor. And a kid with a 170 IQ is no smarter than an adult with a 170 IQ (or whatever his IQ was). Also, adults tend to be better at video games than kids (not overall but the top gamers are generally young adults) so all that kind of annoyed me.

              Hmm...it is amazing I get any enjoyment out of reading at all :/

              Comment


              • But kids can take leaps of logic and bypass what is "always done" which adults usually cannot. That's why they use them. And that's what gives his sibs an edge over the governments. They think they can, so they do. Adults are weighed down by too much life experiance.
                http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

                Originally Posted by TheFastCat: Less is more more or less

                And now I have an Etsy store: CattailsandCalendula

                Comment


                • Originally posted by drssgchic View Post
                  But kids can take leaps of logic and bypass what is "always done" which adults usually cannot. That's why they use them. And that's what gives his sibs an edge over the governments. They think they can, so they do. Adults are weighed down by too much life experiance.
                  Perhaps. Maybe I just don't like kids

                  Comment


                  • Ok, I loved and could not put down The Hunger Games - any of the three books. However, I was disgusted with Coin for blowing up the kids. That pissed me right the hell off. I was shocked as hell that the author killed Katniss's sister. I figured she'd be one to survive since Katniss took such great measures to protect her all those times.

                    The war, yeah could have been done better. But at that point, I just wanted to know how it was going to end.

                    Now I'm going to have to check out Ender's Game.

                    If you want something similar to Hunger games, but a bit different, check out Divergent and then Insurgent. I liked them too, but had to take a break from the teen hero books and went back to Stephen King for a bit. But i'll be looking for the Ender's Game.
                    Primal since March 5, 2012
                    SW: 221 | CW: 204 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)



                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by canio6 View Post
                      Perhaps. Maybe I just don't like kids
                      Me neither- but I liked them because they were really more like little adults (and because I could totally see my sibs and I doing something like that under the right circumstances)
                      http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

                      Originally Posted by TheFastCat: Less is more more or less

                      And now I have an Etsy store: CattailsandCalendula

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by jenn26point2 View Post
                        However, I was disgusted with Coin for blowing up the kids. That pissed me right the hell off. I was shocked as hell that the author killed Katniss's sister.
                        Ah, see, this was the part I liked. I thought, "Finally someone has the guts to do what needed to be done" Not nice but effective. I'm glad she killed off Prim. I really dislike books that kill unimportant characters. (Yes, I am talking to you Ms. Rowling)

                        Originally posted by drssgchic View Post
                        Me neither- but I liked them because they were really more like little adults (and because I could totally see my sibs and I doing something like that under the right circumstances)
                        Ah, I like adults that act like adults

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by canio6 View Post
                          Well, my issue with Ender was that a smart kid is not smarter than a smart adult.
                          My issue with Ender is his author is a rabid homophobe.

                          Actually, that's not fair. I'm told Ender's Game is good. I haven't read it. I WANT TO. But Orson Scott Card's crazy articles about teh gayz and how they're destroying America make me so sad and I just don't want to give him any money to read his stuff.

                          Originally posted by canio6 View Post
                          Hunger Games Spoilers ahead.....
                          LA LA LA LA LA I CANNOT SEE YOUR SPOILERS.

                          I've only read the first book, and enjoyed it. I know everyone was all BLAH BLAH BLAH BATTLE ROYALE WHINE WHINE but I read that, too, and y'know what I thought when I read that? "Oh, look, someone took 'The Most Dangerous Game' a step further."

                          No story is original. It's the telling that makes it cool.
                          Steph
                          My Primal Meanderings

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by drssgchic View Post
                            Sookie Stackhouse- True Blood (which is what escaped me when I went with Sookie)

                            With Eric Northman and Alcide. Mmmmm. And Sam. She can keep, er, ah, what's her main squeeze's name? I'll take the rest of the men
                            His name is Bill and the actors that play Bill and Sookie are married in real life. Vampire Porn.... gotta love it!
                            It makes me sad that people are trying hard to do the right thing but failing because they have the wrong information.
                            Without question, bacon is the most interesting meat in the world, and if it were capable of original thought, we wouldn't even be having an election this November in America. We would simply appoint bacon as our forever leader and live dutifully under its rule.

                            Comment


                            • I don't understand the vampire craze all of a sudden. I read the Vampire Diaries in junior high and then find just last year or the year before that the have a show and it's all the rage... no thanks. No television show is as good as the book. And by the way everyone describes Twilight, I think they're probably pretty close to the same thing.

                              I'll read Bram Stoker's Dracula if I want a vampire story.
                              Primal since March 5, 2012
                              SW: 221 | CW: 204 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)



                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by jenn26point2 View Post
                                I don't understand the vampire craze all of a sudden. I read the Vampire Diaries in junior high and then find just last year or the year before that the have a show and it's all the rage... no thanks. No television show is as good as the book. And by the way everyone describes Twilight, I think they're probably pretty close to the same thing.

                                I'll read Bram Stoker's Dracula if I want a vampire story.
                                I feel so old... in middle school I read "Interview with a Vampire", that was my introduction Vampires... Oh, and The Lost Boys...(still epic) !!!

                                Jason Patrick was HAWT in Lost Boys.
                                And The Doors People are Strange was gooood.
                                I was 14... that's my excuse!

                                Interview is a pretty good introduction though.
                                For me Bram Stoker's Dracula came a bit later. It's a great classic.
                                Last edited by cori93437; 06-15-2012, 11:23 AM.
                                “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
                                ~Friedrich Nietzsche
                                And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X