No announcement yet.

Primal With A Side Of FABULOUS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shakespeare wrote a lot of strong women, which seems anomalous for his age.

I remember reading 1984 on summer vacation, either between 7th and 8th or 8th and 9th. Very vivid recollection of the community pool, the disconnect between Oceania and the sparkling pool and the smell of fries and this one girl who was really developing nicely, I think she was the older sister of a classmate. A lot of reads have specific associations: Tolkien, my grandparent's back porch swing and the smell of honeysuckle. Les Miserables, cramped and carsick on some trip to (where?) in, IIRC, the shitty Vega with my stepfather smoking. Later, Beckett, sitting in very hot summer sun, sometimes drunk. Actually, all the "B writers" in the hot as balls Fred's Luxury Apartments, again, often drunk: Beckett, Borges, Ballard, Bowles, Burroughs, Bukowski... it was like I was stuck in the alphabet.

Comment

• Hey, I haven't given up on them entirely--there's a perfectly lovely one who sleeps in my bed with me every night! I'm optimistic that he will be the last man I ever sleep with because I've managed to keep him around for life.

And see, I adore Austen. But you have to get her sense of humour.
      “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

• I grew up on classical music and operas, in addition to rock and jazz. A Handel piece played right is enough to make the blood run cold, a Bach piece played right is enough to metaphorically make a gay man straight, just until the song ends. A Wagner piece, you feel in your bones and know you did something to sadden or piss off the gods. A Beethoven, you're floating on air, either in a thunderstorm or a light summer breeze. Yo-Yo Ma's originals and you're ready to pull a Romeo.
        THere was a song for every occasion in my dad's collection, and I do mean every occasion. Wagner if you're depressed or angry. Handel if you're victorious. Beethoven if you just want to feel something, anything. Bach if you're flitting among the clouds in euphoria.

And for the music geek in all of us:
        "I'll be Bach."
        "I can Handel that"
        "I was Beethoven you couldn't."
        "We'll Shea what happens."
        "They'll be carting you out in a little red Wagner, Offe!"
        Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
        My Latest Journal

Comment

• I'm feeling so . . . under-read right now. But I can lay claim to two copies of Shakespere's Complete Works One for my birthday, one for winning the literature prize in highschool.
          http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

Originally Posted by TheFastCat: Less is more more or less

And now I have an Etsy store: CattailsandCalendula

Comment

• Originally posted by naiadknight View Post
            I grew up on classical music and operas, in addition to rock and jazz. A Handel piece played right is enough to make the blood run cold, a Bach piece played right is enough to metaphorically make a gay man straight, just until the song ends. A Wagner piece, you feel in your bones and know you did something to sadden or piss off the gods. A Beethoven, you're floating on air, either in a thunderstorm or a light summer breeze. Yo-Yo Ma's originals and you're ready to pull a Romeo.
            THere was a song for every occasion in my dad's collection, and I do mean every occasion. Wagner if you're depressed or angry. Handel if you're victorious. Beethoven if you just want to feel something, anything. Bach if you're flitting among the clouds in euphoria.
            Just perfect, thank you.

Unbearable Lightness of Being + a second phase of immersion in Beethoven's 9th + walking around a lot on the rain faux-philosophizing and thinking myself deep, and full of the Sturm and Drang and all that.

Comment

• Originally posted by drssgchic View Post
              I'm feeling so . . . under-read right now. But I can lay claim to two copies of Shakespere's Complete Works One for my birthday, one for winning the literature prize in highschool.
              Oh, stuff that I haven't read... the vast lacunae of the autodidact.

Chaucer and Cervantes, to start. Most of the Russian lit (those Russian names!). On and on. We all have our lapses.

Comment

• I own a copy of Chaucer's works! It's a lovely hard-bound book I stole from my sister when she was done with it. One of the many I own because I'm going to read them . . . eventually.
                http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

Originally Posted by TheFastCat: Less is more more or less

And now I have an Etsy store: CattailsandCalendula

Comment

• I own a copy of The Official Alien Abductee's Handbook. I don't even know where I acquired it.

Let's see, other embarrassing finds on Gay Panda's shelves . . . ah, my diary from when I was eight, in which I composed a two page tirade against one of the Sticky Panda Siblings and a neighbor child for how they cheated at the game Sorry. Drama, much?
                  JOIN THE PANDA SHOW!!! Primal With A Side Of FABULOUS and PANDALOONERY!

Comment

• Originally posted by Gay Panda View Post
                    I own a copy of The Official Alien Abductee's Handbook. I don't even know where I acquired it.

Let's see, other embarrassing finds on Gay Panda's shelves . . . ah, my diary from when I was eight, in which I composed a two page tirade against one of the Sticky Panda Siblings and a neighbor child for how they cheated at the game Sorry. Drama, much?
                    You do know that ^^THIS^^, with accompanying story, SHOULD be posted... right Panda?
                    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
                    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
                    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Comment

• I also have yet to tackle the Russian canon. So many good books to read, so little time.
                      “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

• Originally posted by Owly View Post
                        And see, I adore Austen. But you have to get her sense of humour.
                        Well, it has been 10+ years since I bothered to read her. Perhaps age will bring me appreciation.

Comment

• Oh no, you want embarrassing? I, a professed agnostic spiritualist, still own a copy of the Book of Common Prayer. I also still have my journals from middle school through early college, complete with 40 pages of my attempt at a poetic masterpiece based on my life and a ove letter written to me by my best friend. I have text book on the quantum mechanics of binary stars next to a copy of Shape's Yearly Workout of 2010 next to a copy of one of the Stainless Steel Rat books. I still have the Secret Garden and Jacob Have I Loved on my shelves.
                          Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
                          My Latest Journal

Comment

• Originally posted by cori93437 View Post
                            You do know that ^^THIS^^, with accompanying story, SHOULD be posted... right Panda?
                            Yes, please share your embarrassing childhood writings with us! Kid melodrama is the best.

Owly's Journal

Comment

• Originally posted by cori93437 View Post
                              Paging through it now . . . No, I'd never live down the shame. But here is a summary:

There's a lengthy tirade against my mother for deciding to have another cub.

I took great liberties with spelling and grammar. * flinches at cubhood spelling of Washington *

Under the heading "What I Like To Do With My Mother and Father" I wrote MY BROTHER GETS ALL THE ATTENTION.

I wrote my will, leaving toys to specific friends and none to my siblings. So there!

Ah, ANOTHER two page tirade against that specific Panda Sibling! Turning . . . turning . . and yet one more. Turning . . . and another. Dear Valhalla, and here's another. And one more.

Help us all, I found my high school ID cards. Dork, thy name is Young Gay Panda!
                              JOIN THE PANDA SHOW!!! Primal With A Side Of FABULOUS and PANDALOONERY!

Comment

• Since I do not have the dedication to journal, I'm hoping Panda doesn't mind if I borrow some bandwidth (well hells, it's not like I've been shy so far) to ask a question.

Two weeks until the 30th class reunion (just... no comments necessary), I'm no clothes horse, reunion being held at swanky Hotel Hershey and want to look good but be comfortable. I was thinking black pants, black shirt, black tie, cream colored jacket... because it's the nicest jacket I own and it's very light, fits well. Yes, no, something else?

IMG_0045.jpg

This is said jacket, worn by your humble narrator, pictured with the lovely and talented Mrs. Finny. Note: gut is tighter now, lost about 5#, but sadly I am no handsomer and have grown no more hair. Alas.

I'm totally awful when it comes to fashion.

Comment

Working...
                                X