Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Primal With A Side Of FABULOUS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • To be fair, many of my writers were wonderful people, and I am still in touch with some of them today.

    But yes, the "This is awesome! Let's make it even more awesome!" actually works well on both Type 1 and Type 2 writers. For Type 1, it boosts their confidence and lets them know that editorial direction is meant to help their book be even better and is not a condemnation of their skills. For Type 2, it avoids ego clashes. Also, it helps as an editor to be able to let go of your ego a bit and pretend to be stupid sometimes--if you pretend like you don't understand something, it works with Type 2 and 3 to get them to fix things for their poor idiot editor.

    Like I said, being a therapist for neurotic writers. It's amazing how something that seems like such a solitary, behind-the-scenes job actually requires some very nuanced people skills.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

    Owly's Journal

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Owly View Post
      Like I said, being a therapist for neurotic writers. It's amazing how something that seems like such a solitary, behind-the-scenes job actually requires some very nuanced people skills.
      I haven't had an editor ask me to change a story in years. I must just be that awesome. ::/preen::
      Steph
      My Primal Meanderings

      Comment


      • I have no idea who y'all are talking about and as such I will avoid the Iodine thread to keep from getting creeped.

        I have also stopped taking iodine.



        Did you know that if you have hypothyroiditis and that hypothyroiditis is caused by hashimoto's disease, you are actually poisoning yourself by taking iodine supplements? I asked a friend with Hashimoto's yesterday if iodine supplementation would help her and she flew off the handle about how dangerous that is. Just a bit of a warning for ya.
        Primal since March 5, 2012
        SW: 221 | CW: 204 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)



        Comment


        • Originally posted by onalark View Post
          I haven't had an editor ask me to change a story in years. I must just be that awesome. ::/preen::
          LOL nice.

          btw congrats on your impending doom, uh, child I hope all goes well

          Comment


          • Originally posted by onalark View Post
            I haven't had an editor ask me to change a story in years. I must just be that awesome. ::/preen::
            Lol! You are obviously amazing!

            I should be clear that my experience is all on the non-fiction side of the world. Editing fiction is a whole other game.
            “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

            Owly's Journal

            Comment


            • Hate to admit it but I am taking iodine and it has significantly improved menopausal symptoms. I just don't read the weird stuff on that thread.
              Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Urban Forager View Post
                Hate to admit it but I am taking iodine and it has significantly improved menopausal symptoms. I just don't read the weird stuff on that thread.
                How do you take it? Is it pills or liquid? Do you use a paintbrush?
                If I just said LOL, I lied. Do or do not. There is no try.

                Comment


                • I have a pill that I take when I take it.

                  Others take drops.

                  Both are available on Amazon or in your local health-food-crazy-hippy-store.
                  Primal since March 5, 2012
                  SW: 221 | CW: 204 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)



                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by canio6 View Post
                    LOL nice.

                    btw congrats on your impending doom, uh, child I hope all goes well
                    Thanks! I'm gonna sing the doom song, now!

                    Steph
                    My Primal Meanderings

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Owly View Post
                      Lol! You are obviously amazing!

                      I should be clear that my experience is all on the non-fiction side of the world. Editing fiction is a whole other game.
                      Based on your descriptions, it really isn't.

                      I used to be a first reader for a now-defunct fiction magazine. The pros were universally chill about changes that might need to be made to their stories. I never met a prima donna, though I know they're out there, and I've met them.

                      The unpublished newbies, however, could range from doormats (I'LL DO ANYTHING IF YOU'LL JUST PUBLISH MY STUFF) to "do you KNOW WHO I AM?" types. (And the answer to that was: You are the writer who is not going to get published if you don't learn to listen to constructive criticism.)

                      Not saying all editors are great. Editors have bad days. The one I worked for would sometimes go off on a tear on things that made no goddamn sense, and I'd have to re-edit her comments to make them, y'know, coherent. But quite often we just got really wretched, completely inappropriate submissions. Some of the stuff we got in our slush pile was...well, let's just put it this way: it would totally fit in that iodine thread.
                      Steph
                      My Primal Meanderings

                      Comment


                      • There is simply no way to write about Three Things I Do Well and keep it G-rated. I can't even keep it PG or PG-13 rated, and I've tried all morning. So I am just going to write it, and if you do not want to read about an apartment complex full of people with DOMINATRIX on their business cards, skip tomorrow's post. I cannot bring myself to let it be M for a mature audience, but we will likely have an R.
                        JOIN THE PANDA SHOW!!! Primal With A Side Of FABULOUS and PANDALOONERY!

                        Comment


                        • Oh, slush piles, endless source of entertainment and torment.

                          I did acquisitions for a while. The worst bit was having to reject writers who were genuinely good but either didn't fit our mandate or simply were not going to sell enough for the investment. Publishing houses are book factories, and a lot of the time, great literary writing isn't marketable enough, so it gets rejected despite being amazing work. Very sad.
                          “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

                          Owly's Journal

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by jenn26point2 View Post
                            I have no idea who y'all are talking about and as such I will avoid the Iodine thread to keep from getting creeped.

                            I have also stopped taking iodine.



                            Did you know that if you have hypothyroiditis and that hypothyroiditis is caused by hashimoto's disease, you are actually poisoning yourself by taking iodine supplements? I asked a friend with Hashimoto's yesterday if iodine supplementation would help her and she flew off the handle about how dangerous that is. Just a bit of a warning for ya.
                            I have Hashi's. For the average person who eats out a lot or eats trash food, yes, she is correct. Too much iodine is just as bad as too little iodine. For someone like me who rarely salts anything, and is Primal, iodine supplementation- NOT full supplementation, just a boost- is a good idea, otherwise I simply don't eat enough things with iodine in them to keep my body happy. YMMV, of course.
                            Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
                            My Latest Journal

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Owly View Post
                              Oh, slush piles, endless source of entertainment and torment.

                              I did acquisitions for a while. The worst bit was having to reject writers who were genuinely good but either didn't fit our mandate or simply were not going to sell enough for the investment. Publishing houses are book factories, and a lot of the time, great literary writing isn't marketable enough, so it gets rejected despite being amazing work. Very sad.
                              Indeed. That was one of the nice things about working for an independent outlet. Every now and then we got to pluck something out of the pile that was just beautiful and unique and no one was daring to do anything like it. Sometimes needed a little brushing up, and they were rare indeed, but so wonderful when you found them.

                              Almost make you forget about the slush stories where kids were chopping up angels and eating their thumbs. Or scientists having sex with dolphins.
                              Steph
                              My Primal Meanderings

                              Comment


                              • Long ago, I picked this gem out of a slushpile, a novel with the first sentence: His facial hair was matted like crab grass.

                                It got worse from there.
                                JOIN THE PANDA SHOW!!! Primal With A Side Of FABULOUS and PANDALOONERY!

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X