Primal With A Side Of FABULOUS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Owly View Post
    You remind me of my dad insisting repeatedly at the beginning of Fellowship of the Ring that the melting point of gold is such-and-such and therefore the whole "go to Mordor to melt it" thing is silly. I kept hissing at him that it's a @#$%! magic ring and he needs some suspension of disbelief.

This is why I don't watch fantasy movies with my dad any more.
    I am all about suspension of disbelief. I'm willing to buy into the time travel, language learning etc. I am not willing to buy into laziness. She could easily have explained the lack of a cell phone in one sentence. Other authors have done it. She chose not to. Hell, I would have bought solar flare, dead battery, lack of reception, flock of birds disrupting signal but "eh, let me sit here all book because, well, becaue Connie has better things to do..." not so much.

Comment

• Originally posted by canio6 View Post
      I am all about suspension of disbelief. I'm willing to buy into the time travel, language learning etc. I am not willing to buy into laziness. She could easily have explained the lack of a cell phone in one sentence. Other authors have done it. She chose not to. Hell, I would have bought solar flare, dead battery, lack of reception, flock of birds disrupting signal but "eh, let me sit here all book because, well, becaue Connie has better things to do..." not so much.
      Speaking of cell phones...I read a book last year written in the early 80's. It was a good book, no doubt, but if the characters weren't at home or work, no one could reach them. It's like I was reading about Mayberry and Andy had went to Mt. Pilot, "It'll be 3 hours before he gets there and we can reach him". I kept screaming, where's the cellphones?!?! Oh yeah, nevermind.
      That's sad. And I remember a time when we didn't have cellphones. Heck I remember when I got a pager! I was supercool. We're spoiled as a people. Hope for mankind packed up and left somewhere between 2G and 3G.
      If I just said LOL, I lied. Do or do not. There is no try.

Comment

• I grew up without a cell phone. Didn't get one until I was like 21 or 22 or something like that. I was so adverse to the cell phone world that I even refused to call it a cell phone and instead called it a cellular phone b/c cell phone was "hip" or "faddish". now it's just a phone... lol

However, there is NO WAY I could imagine life without a phone now. If I leave my phone at home, I'm at a loss if I come up with something I have to tell my sister like RIGHT NOW... or if I have a favor to ask of DH... drives me NUTS to leave my phone at home...

Oh and my sister had a pager... she was pretty cool... she also got a phone before me too - and she was two years younger. Spoiled little wench! lol
        Primal since March 5, 2012
        SW: 221 | CW: 204 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Comment

• I had a phone when they were super expensive. I got it after my older brother upgraded from his car phone, ya know, the ones in the little nylon bag? Anyway, I had that phone, but it was expensive unless you used it after 9pm, plus the signal sucked. You couldn't use it anywhere except around town (where there were payphones) so I ditched it and got a pager. But same problem, if you got paged out in the middle of nowhere you had to wait until you were around a payphone to call folks. Now text messaging is what I rebelled against. I hated it until I started doing it. Now that's about the only way I talk to my wife during the day.

Comment

• Originally posted by justyouraveragecavemen View Post
            I had a phone when they were super expensive. I got it after my older brother upgraded from his car phone, ya know, the ones in the little nylon bag? Anyway, I had that phone, but it was expensive unless you used it after 9pm, plus the signal sucked. You couldn't use it anywhere except around town (where there were payphones) so I ditched it and got a pager. But same problem, if you got paged out in the middle of nowhere you had to wait until you were around a payphone to call folks. Now text messaging is what I rebelled against. I hated it until I started doing it. Now that's about the only way I talk to my wife during the day.
            Same here. I rebelled against texting too... I didn't see the point b/c it was so much easier to just call. Now I rebel against Twitter... don't see the point when I have a FB account. lol

Comment

• Wow we love our tangents over here in Panda-land, don't we? I got my first cell phone (little flip phone, no camera) when I was around 16 years old. That was a fairly common age at the time, nobody was getting phones by the time they were 10 or anything like they do now. It's funny how we claim it's "by necessity", but home phones, by and large, still exist. Call when you get to the friend's house, call when you're leaving the friend's house, when walking on your own under a certain age. I enjoy the time I spend without my phone, because that's usually vacation of some kind. Often times, it's actually by necessity because there's little to no signal and not worth bothering with. I wish I found it easier to separate myself when I'm not on vacation though. I check Instagram and play games quite a bit while I'm bored at work.
              Depression Lies

Comment

• We had our land line taken out 3 or 4 years ago. It was pointless away since it was long distance from our families homes (only about 15 miles away). No one but telemarketers called us.

Comment

• Only reason I have a cell phone is because HandsomScotsman bought me one a few years ago, Pay as you go type... I went so long without using it the company actully cancled my simcard (apperently if you dont use it for 6 months the figgure its ether stolen or lost) wich gyped me out of almost £10 credit I had on it
                  Have a new simcard now but Ive no idea where the phone is aside from its "probably" in the house somewhere LOL
                  I do sometimes take it when im hiking along the cliffs with the dogs though.. just incase... that is when I remember.. & can find it in time to put a charge on it...
                  Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

http://primaldog.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

• I just figured out that I think I got my current cell phone in 2007. It doesn't even have a camera. The case is cracked, now, so I really need to get around to getting a new one. Probably one with a camera, so I can accept pictures. However, I refuse to get a smart phone. The "phone" feature on them almost universally sucks and there's usually someone around that I can bum a phone off of if I need something off the internetz now. I like my phones stupid and hardy
                    http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

Originally Posted by TheFastCat: Less is more more or less

And now I have an Etsy store: CattailsandCalendula

Comment

• Originally posted by justyouraveragecavemen View Post
                      We had our land line taken out 3 or 4 years ago. It was pointless away since it was long distance from our families homes (only about 15 miles away). No one but telemarketers called us.
                      We had the same problem. Family that lived 8 miles away was long distance so we always called them from our cell phones, and anytime it rang, it was someone trying to sell us something or someone who dialed a wrong number. Haven't had a home phone since 2007 when we moved into the new house (but we had it wired for phone... not sure why). Makes me curious to know what our son is going to be taught when they(the school)/we teach him his phone number...

Comment

• 'It depends entirely on the quality of the hand holding.'

Comment

• Originally posted by Gay Panda View Post
                          Of course there's no Wi-Fi in Wisconsin, it's nothing but igloos and zombie penguins!!! Don't you keep up with the world? Gay Panda does. Why don't you just take me to the Bermuda Triangle and shove me in? I might have a better chance of coming home alive.
                          You forgot the vampire turtle outbreak... scary stuff indeed!

Originally posted by drssgchic View Post
                          *pause* On second thought . . .

*grabs a horse blanket at tackles lusty stable lad* It's even better than a bag over his head
                          Tie sparkle boy to a bale of hay in a nice dark area... that way you don't have to look at the glitter of shame!

Originally posted by Sabine View Post
                          'It depends entirely on the quality of the hand holding.'
                          There is "quality" hand holding?
                          Unless one of the parties involved could actually be dying... I think NOT!
                          “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
                          ~Friedrich Nietzsche
                          And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Comment

• Not a 'Stranger than Fiction' fan?

I'm certain GayPanda could make hand holding over-the-top in sensuality. I have faith!

Comment

• Originally posted by Sabine View Post
                              Not a 'Stranger than Fiction' fan?

I'm certain GayPanda could make hand holding over-the-top in sensuality. I have faith!
                              The closest anything ever got to quality hand holding for me was Pushing Daisies... which died way too young.
                              “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
                              ~Friedrich Nietzsche
                              And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Comment

• Lady Friend just voiced the absolute insanity that the key to successful packing is taking only HALF of what one believes one will require.

Lady Friend, you are INSANE.

I believe the key is double.
                                JOIN THE PANDA SHOW!!! Primal With A Side Of FABULOUS and PANDALOONERY!

Comment

Working...
                                X