Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DinoHunter View Post
    I was just watching this on iodine
    some very intresting info, might be worth watching if you have the time (its about an hour & half )
    Iodine The Misunderstood Nutrient David Brownstein Ful - YouTube
    Thank you, DinoHunter, I was watching that in pieces as my poor hearing allows. I need to just buy the book since my library was a FAIL.
    JOIN THE PANDA SHOW!!! Primal With A Side Of FABULOUS and PANDALOONERY!

Comment

• Originally posted by BeachTeach View Post
      Oh my God, you made my day with this as I *have* been eating all the things since I got home this evening. It feels SO good to laugh after my day express-delivered from hell.
      No express-deliveries from hell for today, I hope!!!

Comment

• I have not experienced the "EAT ALL THE THINGS" hunger, but I'm only taking a Kelp capsule daily. Reading up on some of the risks of taking too much iodine, I might just stop using the kelp all together to avoid the risk... I mean, we give up wheat b/c of the potential risk of consuming it, so it seems wise to give up kelp for the potential risks too... I'll just pick up some iodized sea salt or something...
        Primal since March 5, 2012
        SW: 221 | CW: 204 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Comment

• Originally posted by Gwynn View Post
          I don't know why the iodine is causing an increase in your appetite. I have been doing it for a couple of months, at least, and I haven't noticed that. OTOH, I have always had the appetite of a lumberjack, so I am not the best person to ask.
          It could be a result of something else I'm taking, or nothing at all and it's just a weird fluctuation. I do not have the appetite of a lumberjack normally, and left to my own devices would under-eat because the signalling there is wonky. But these past few days that has not been possible, as my body is forbidding it.

I think my body is a little confused in general, because I've slept better in the last month due to these supplements than I have in the last twenty years. Although my attention span is still HERETHEREEVERYWHEREWHAT'STHATSHINYTHING??? I've been able to get out of bed without such internal resistance in the last week and that's very new as well. I'm not dozing quite as often through the day, and not being out of it for as long when I am. (However, the better days are interspersed with super sleepy ones.)

I'm not even sure if this appetite increase is necessarily a bad thing. I'm usually quite disgusted by food in the morning, and Good Doctor Google assures me that the low liver function that often accompanies poor adrenal function or a heavy toxic burden suppresses early morning hunger. So who knows? It's actually kind of funny because my body has always been on such a scattered timetable, and now around nine at night it yells YOU SLEEP NOW and if I wake up at two to my neighbors' damn dogs, it shouts YOU SLEEP MORE. As to food, I can no longer get away with food-is-icky-before-ten because my body is hollering at seven YOU EAT NOW. It's like my body is trying to find schedules where it has not had them before.

(Sorry, that was probably far more detail that you needed. Thanks for writing!)
          Last edited by Gay Panda; 04-12-2012, 03:33 PM.

Comment

• Hey panda-
            I think part of why mine is working so well is it's a daily thing. I didn't cycle it in or out to begin with, just started taking 100% RDA daily and didn't quit.
            Also, what's so odd abt my EATEVERYTHING phase is that it's just that: a daily phase. I'm not hungry until dinner, EATEVERYTHINGRIGHTNOW, and 5 hours later, I'm not hungry at all.
            My attention span is excellent, on the days I have it. Other d.. Squirrel?! Ceiling fan!
            Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
            My Latest Journal

Comment

• Originally posted by Gay Panda View Post
              No express-deliveries from hell for today, I hope!!!
              No, today was better. I find my students lack the stamina to be successful in a long-term campaign. Though they won the battle yesterday, we were back in the land of BeachTeach's benevolent grace today, doing what I needed them to do. Sometimes middle school kids get the sillies, and when that happens, it's wiser not to fight too hard. They shall come back the next day.

No, today I am stuck in a special kind of hell of a community building night where we stack cups and play kickball whilst the nutrition class plies its homemade smoothie creations upon an unsuspecting parent population. I have free pass because I do not consume sugar or fruit juice, and the darlings are well aware of that. I pity the parents who have to drink the avocado, strawberry, peanut butter and Rice Krispie concoction.
              I blog about living life to the fullest at The Hairy Edge. Check it out! (Or not. We can still be friends. )

Comment

• Originally posted by Gay Panda View Post
                It could be a result of something else I'm taking, or nothing at all and it's just a weird fluctuation. I do not have the appetite of a lumberjack normally, and left to my own devices would under-eat because the signalling there is wonky. But these past few days that has not been possible, as my body is forbidding it.

I think my body is a little confused in general, because I've slept better in the last month due to these supplements than I have in the last twenty years. Although my attention span is still HERETHEREEVERYWHEREWHAT'STHATSHINYTHING??? I've been able to get out of bed without such internal resistance in the last week and that's very new as well. I'm not dozing quite as often through the day, and not being out of it for as long when I am. (However, the better days are interspersed with super sleepy ones.)

I'm not even sure if this appetite increase is necessarily a bad thing. I'm usually quite disgusted by food in the morning, and Good Doctor Google assures me that the low liver function that often accompanies poor adrenal function or a heavy toxic burden suppresses early morning hunger. So who knows? It's actually kind of funny because my body has always been on such a scattered timetable, and now around nine at night it yells YOU SLEEP NOW and if I wake up at two to my neighbors' damn dogs, it shouts YOU SLEEP MORE. As to food, I can no longer get away with food-is-icky-before-ten because my body is hollering at seven YOU EAT NOW. It's like my body is trying to find schedules where it has not had them before.

(Sorry, that was probably far more detail that you needed. Thanks for writing!)
                Not at all!! It actually sounds like your body is sending healthier signals to you. Hormone fluctuations can be a b*tch too. I changed mine a few years ago, and every afternoon I have monster sugar cravings. I swear my local ice cream store could go on a cruise from me alone. That is what I want and need to abolish.

Oh, and I totally get the HERETHEREEVERYWHEREWHAT'STHATSHINYTHING! I am like that at the golf course. Oh, I was supposed to hit my shot? I was looking at a bird/turtle/bug/fluffy cloud you name it.LOL

Gwynn

Comment

• Gay Panda feels ridiculous in the morning before the line of supplements on the counter.

Until now, I rarely set foot in that section of Whole Foods, writing it off as Hippie Health Care and a waste of money. But the point stands that had I continued to take my HMO’s advice on diet/exercise, I would still be well over 200 pounds, and when I made the break to primal, I whittled away to the 180s. For their most desperate weight cases, my HMO recommends liquid replacement meals in chocolate, vanilla, and strawberry flavors. The ingredients list contains sugar, corn syrup solids, and soy products, and I am assured to lose between one and three pounds a week. Hooray!!! So I don’t know who is being more ridiculous between the HMO and myself.

First, there is the Iodoral. The Internet Doctors recommend that it not be taken without its beneficial friends Selenium, Vitamin C, and Magnesium. Although I am supposed to buy selenium supplements according to some sources, instead I eat Brazil nuts. So that makes Iodoral, two Brazil nuts, two Vitamin C pills and one-and-a-half Magnesium pills. I also take Vitamin D since I have little sunlight exposure, and so the firing line of pills keeps stretching down the counter past the milk thistle and so forth. Just to be perverse, I continue to treat my adrenals to eight tiny pieces of Panda Licorice Candy, and the line grows and grows until it touches the wall.

After I’ve completed the firing line, I shake my head and think of how foolish this is as I break them up into three groups. But I am sleeping much better at night, which is huge for me, and I am slightly more functional during the day. I wish it were more than slightly, but slightly is better than no change at all. But all of these pills! When did I become a hippie? I used to make fun (internally, I have better manners face-to-face) of a Love-Truth-Life hippie teacher I knew who swallowed an entire handful of pills in the break between second and third period. I thought he was nuts, and now here I am. This is probably why I keep adding the licorice to the line-up, just to spare my dignity.

Gay Panda has become a hippie. Ugh. Now I have to start taking affirmation yoga classes and give up Katy Perry for the Grateful Dead, and go to craft fairs. That’s exactly where this line of pills is leading, spiritual quests and performance art and subscriptions to magazines about sustainable living and T-shirts with marijuana leaves on them. My conversation will now be peppered with scoffing references to The Man and selling out, and I will have to drink something called chai. I have to get a tattoo saying Peace in any language but English to prove to everyone how worldly I am, and some part of my body will require a piercing. Lego Harry Potter will become Meditation Time.

I will have to become a vegan.

Okay, now I’m thoroughly depressed. Have a groovy weekend, people, Gay Panda is off to Whole Foods for Tofurkey.

Comment

• Mmmmm ... chai. I don't much like the taste of tea, but I love the blend of spices used in chai, so I just mix up those spices (sans tea) in a mug of hot milk. It's like warm, liquid lebkuchen (gingerbread). Yum. Try it, Panda - don't be scared!

You can keep your liquorice though. Yeuucchhhhh!
                    I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.

Oscar Wilde

Comment

• I know what you mean about the supplements. There was a time when I couldn't even remember to take a multivitamin now I pretty much take all the same stuff you take. I am afraid I have a lot in common with hippies with one big exception..... I never could understand the attraction of The Dead, and the tie dye or vegetarianism that seem to go along with it.
                      Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Comment

• Urban Forager - your avatar for the WIN!! LOL
                        I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.

Oscar Wilde

Comment

• Thanks Sigi!
                          Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Comment

• Hope all improves soon GP..sounds like a bit of a pain in the ass..great that you are sleeping better..for me magnesium made me hyper before bed..weird huh?

Comment

• Dear Gay Panda,

My gift to you!

Love,
                              Lady Friend

CadburyCremeEggs.jpg
                              Got Panda? Primal With A Side Of FABULOUS and now Pandaloonery!

Comment

• JOIN THE PANDA SHOW!!! Primal With A Side Of FABULOUS and PANDALOONERY!

Comment

Working...
                                X