Primal Journal - An Army Man's Perspective to improve Mass and Fitness

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sunday 04 Sep 11 – Day 6 Week 1

Breakfast – 2 fried eggs (runny yolk) with a rasher of bacon and some fried tomato.

Lunch – Salad

Dinner – Roast Pork with pumpkin.

Other (Snacks) – small amount of macadamia nuts, left-over pancakes and biscuits with hummus from the picnic.

Physical Training. Nil

Biological Factors. Nothing for today.

Energy Levels – Today’s Rating: 6 – Energy levels were again good, although not as high as the previous day. I did not feel any ‘afternoon slum’, which was surprising given I was driving at the time (which is often quite dull). I had a late lunch which probably boosted my energy through until dinner.

Perceived Stress – Today’s Rating: 7 – minimal stress, but then again it would be hard to be stressed on an easy Sunday.

‘How I Feel’ Rating – Today’s Rating: 7 – Felt fine all day, nothing significant.

Comments: Sunday was easy, I had very little to do but spend time with my partner’s parents and drive home. Overall I have a positive feeling about completing the ‘transition’ period to getting used to using more fats.
    "Contrariwise,' continued Tweedledee, 'if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic."

Comment

Monday 05 Sep 11 – Day 7 Week 2

Breakfast – Fried Zucchini, Mushrooms, Bacon, Two poached eggs and some tomato.

Lunch – Salad

Dinner – Roast Steak stuffed with prosciutto, broccoli salad and a pumpkin pie for desert.

Other (Snacks) – Alot of various things – nuts, strawberries, celery, etc. Some blended cauliflower and ham after my workout.

Physical Training. Another short ‘circuit’ type activity. No rest just continual work – felt very good during and after.
      1. 5 x rounds of:
      a. 5 x Weighted Back-Squat,
      b. 5 x Bench-press,
      c. 5 x Deadlift,
      d. 5 x Shoulder Press

2. Maximum Body-Weight dips.

Energy Levels – Today’s Rating: 7 – Energy levels were nice and high all day. I aided my mother on various ‘chores’ throughout the day and spent the afternoon cooking for a father’s day dinner. However I was constantly hungry.

Perceived Stress – Today’s Rating: 6 – minimal stress. There were some stressful situations however nothing out of the ordinary. I am noticing that I have a tendency to ‘snap’ at people – albeit only for a moment, but still it is out of the ordinary for me.

‘How I Feel’ Rating – Today’s Rating: 6 – Nothing significant. Not bad but not over the top.

Comments: I have notices that when I am concentrating I have less tolerance for people interfering with what I am doing. I cannot comment on whether this is a by product of what I am doing (with my diet) but it is out of the ordinary for me – again it could just be the parents ‘fussing’ which, I think, annoys everyone from time to time.
      I was very hungry today and felt like snacking constantly. It was very noticeable after the weekend, where I was content for several hours between meals. Perhaps I did not have enough at breakfast and it did not set me up for the day.
      "Contrariwise,' continued Tweedledee, 'if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic."

Comment

Tuesday 06 Sep 11 – Day 8 Week 2

Breakfast – Fried Zuccini, Mushrooms, Bacon, Two poached eggs and some tomato.

Lunch – Salad

Dinner – Mince patties with Roast Cauliflower, nut and mustard sauce veggies.

Other (Snacks) – A few nuts and strawberries.

Physical Training. None.

Energy Levels – Today’s Rating: 7 – Energy levels remained constant across the day.

Perceived Stress – Today’s Rating: 5 – I had a stressful moment in the afternoon / evening however overcame it fairly quickly. I do not believe it was brought on by any physiological factors but rather an issue with my father.

‘How I Feel’ Rating – Today’s Rating: 6 – Nothing significant. Not bad but not over the top.

Comments: A fairly standard day. Energy levels were good, however I again found myself hungrier between meals than this time last week. Perhaps I am not getting enough fat at meal times? This could be an indicator that my body is nearing the completion of the transition to using fats and is therefore seeking more for energy.

Comment

Wednesday 07 Sep 11 – Day 9 Week 2

Breakfast – Poached egg, mushrooms, bacon, tomato.

Lunch – Salad

Dinner – Green Chicken Masala. (amazing Indian dish!). Made ‘Grok-Rocks’ for the family.

Other (Snacks) – A few nuts, strawberries and avocado. 1kg Steamed Mussels in the afternoon with the parents.

Physical Training. None.

Energy Levels – Today’s Rating: 6 – Energy levels were good.

Perceived Stress – Today’s Rating: 7 – No perceived stress. Felt happy all day.

‘How I Feel’ Rating – Today’s Rating: 7 – I felt fairly good all day and felt like being overly generous (probably why I did so much cooking for everyone!).

Comments: Today was spent doing what I wanted to do and ignoring work – which was excellent. I cooked a lot, including breakfast for everyone, lunch for my mother, ‘Grok-Rock’ deserts for everyone and an afternoon buffet of Mussels. This probably ties in with why I had a very ‘stress-free’ and happy day.
          I again notices I was peckish all morning, however after lunch I did not feel as hungry. I enjoyed a fairly big salad but it had little in it (in terms of fats). I will have to try to eat more fat at breakfast to try to reduce the hunger I get roughly and hour or two after breakfast. Perhaps some avocado will help.

Comment

Overall I am starting to feel better. I have limited the amount of exercise this week because I feel that I need to have a fairly solid rest week, given my last three months of activity. Combining this week's low activity with last week's light activity should aid in the final transition from carbs to fats and allow my to recover properly.

Next week I will endevour to begin my strength/weight training fully and also re-introduce my cardio-vascular training (However, next week is also my last week of holidays so we shall see...). Failing this, the week after is when I return to work and get back into my 'Army Routine' - which will most certainly contain an abundance of exercise.

So far I am feeling good overall. Whilst I did start to eat 'primal/paleo' prior to the 30 day challenge it was not as strict, however I do believe it did begin the transformation as right now I believe I have finished (or near finished) the 'carb flu' - hitting the 3 week overall mark, which ties in with what the majority of information presents (IE: allow at least three weeks for the transition). I have two and a half weeks left of my stricter 30 day program to begin re-introducing physical training so I eargly await the outcomes of this. Given my naturally lean body type, good immune system, no health problems and good level of fitness I believe (at this point) I am in the camp of people who can do better with Carbs. However, I need to test performance without carbs once this 'transition' is complete to find out. Also, whilst I believe dairy will not effect me either - however again I need to wait until the end of this strict period before re-introducing dairy to find out.

I understand this progress / log is probably very similar to what everyone else is going through. I am merely recording this for my own benifit and for the possibility of one or two others who are in a similar situation to me gaining insight into what is occuring. I will endevour to continue to post smaller 'updates' such as this one in the future to provide personal insight into the log.

Comment

Thursday 08 Sep 11 – Day 10 Week 2

Breakfast – Egg, Onion and Cabbage frittata with bacon, mushrooms and zuchinni.

Lunch – Salmon Salad

Dinner – Morrocan Chicken Breast pieces with Broccoli, Cauliflower, Cabbage and pumpkin with a side salad (tomato, beetroot, onion, lettuce) and mixed berries for desert.

Other (Snacks) – A few nuts.

Physical Training. None.

Energy Levels – Today’s Rating: 6 – Energy levels were good. However I became very tired towards the end of the day.

Perceived Stress – Today’s Rating: 7 – No perceived stress.

‘How I Feel’ Rating – Today’s Rating: 6 – I felt fairly good all day.

Comments: Again I got hungry only a few hours after breakfast. The salad for lunch had a lot of good fats in it (nice big Salmon fillet, avocado and plenty of avocado and olive oil) and it kept me full for over 5 hours which was good. I believe I need to get more fats in for breakfast to maintain ‘fullness’ and energy – especially given the particularly low levels of energy post sleep.

Rest is working well. I am feeling recovered each day, however I have been doing a fair amount of driving and running around so it has not been the complete ‘relax/stress free’ environment I was hoping for to recover from the CFL course. Although not ideal, recovery is coming along albeit at a reduced pace. I have a good feeling about returning to some quality weight training next week.

Comment

Friday 09 Sep 11 – Day 11 Week 2

Breakfast
                – Egg, Onion and Cabbage frittata and left-over salad (lettuce, tomato, onion, celary).

Lunch
                – Rump Steak and Salad

Dinner
                – Wagyu Beef Skewers entree. Thai Beef Salad with added Salmon and Prawns (had slices of Wagyu beef, spinach, baby tomatoes, onion and cashews) – delicious!

Other (Snacks)
                – A few nuts.

Physical Training.
                None.

Biological Factors.
                This is going to sound bizarre... but I have definitely noticed my stool has been more ‘consistent’. It passes easily and I very, very rarely need to ‘wipe’ afterwards. I feel kind of weird reporting this, however I have noticed it over the past two weeks. Perhaps a sign that my digestive track is working better?

Energy Levels – Today’s Rating: 5 – Energy levels were ok. I visited Brisbane for dinner and the theatre with my partner and had no drama, however I ate less during the day so was slightly flat.

Perceived Stress – Today’s Rating: 7 – No perceived stress – a very happy day indeed!

‘How I Feel’ Rating – Today’s Rating: 7 – I felt good all day.

Comments:
                I ate lighter throughout the day as I wanted to keep a certain level of hunger for dinner with my partner (it was a special occasion). The Normamby Hotel in Brisbane offered an excellent menu with several Gluten Free options (the Tai Beef Salad was beautiful!) that were all tasty and easy to eat on the 30 day challenge (no dairy, etc). So dinner was amazing. Despite eating less during the day my energy levels were still quite good, although nothing spectacular.

Comment

Working...
                X