Pre-Primal on August 31, 2011:
    Weight: 155
    Size: 8-10
    Deadlift: 95
    Snatch: 45 (mastering form)
    Squat: probably down to 115
    2-minute ERG: ~480m

December 31, 2011:
    Weight: 160 (my own fault for abusing the lenient rules of PB)
    Size: 10
    Deadlift: 215
    Snatch: 65
    Squat: 165
    Other fitness notes: 2-minute 550m ERG

December 10, 2012:
    Weight: 155
    Size: 8-10
    Deadlift: 265
    Snatch: 70
    Squat: 175 (Ass-to-grass this time)

December 6, 2013:
    Weight: 140
    Size: slightly less than 8
    Deadlift: probably at 205
    Snatch: 65
    Front squat: 135

December 15, 2014:
    Weight: 130
    Size: 4-6
    Deadlift: at least 115; definitely can do more
    Snatch: at least 55, not much more
    Front squat: at least 95, can probably stack on another 20 or so
    Other fitness notes: sub 1-minute 250m ERG (usually gym warmups), a 30 second headstand, 3 straight pullups

December 4, 2015:
    Weight: 120
    Size: 2-4
    Deadlift: 45x10, haven't tried more
    Other fitness notes: 2 straight pull-ups using the side-of-bar method
    Last edited by sakura_girl; 12-11-2015, 08:54 PM.
    My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

Monday: August 22, 2011

Breakfast: 3/4 cup of almonds, 2 quail eggs, 1 tomato
    Snacks: Almond chocolate bar, coffee with small amount of coconut milk
    Lunch: Chicken hearts, sauteed spinach, and tofu
    Dinner: Sauteed spinach and pistachios

Carb count: 160
    Protein count: 130
    Last edited by sakura_girl; 08-29-2011, 10:48 AM.

Comment

Thursday: August 25, 2011

I came down with food poisoning from the coconut milk that I left out, so I spent the last few days eating fruits and soup. Yuck =(

Breakfast/snacks: 85% chocolate bar
      Lunch: Chicken hearts and sauteed bok choy with garlic, dry cappuccino
      Dinner: Ground turkey with spinach in marinara, 2oz raw cheese

Carb count: 80
      Protein count: 92

Then I had a moment of weakness and started snacking on a bunch of frozen blueberries and dried figs...I think I'll count that as maybe an additional 90 carbs...ahhhh...eat more fat next time
      Last edited by sakura_girl; 08-29-2011, 10:51 AM.

Comment

Friday: August 26, 2011

Breakfast: Chocolate bar and coffee nibs
        Snacks: Cream cheese frosting...and nibbled at some chocolate frosting too, pistachios
        Lunch: Omelete with peppers, onions, and spinach
        Dinner: Stir fried ground turkey with spinach
        Post-dinner carb-up: About 100g sugar in candies o.O

Good thing I'm carbing up for tomorrow's sports practice xD

Carbs: 200g
        Protein: 80g
        Last edited by sakura_girl; 08-29-2011, 10:47 AM.

Comment

Saturday: August 27, 2011

Ran out of fats today, which you will see in my log:

Breakfast: none
          Snack while at practice: Coconut water
          Lunch: Grilled squid, small amount of pumpkin and shredded cabbage
          Snack: 5oz goat cheese
          Dinner: 2/3 pound of cheddar cheese, sauteed spinach
          After-dinner snack: small nut and seed mooncake

Carbs: 44g
          Protein: 142g

I bought olive oil today, so it should be a lot better with the fat consumption in the next week.
          Last edited by sakura_girl; 08-29-2011, 09:23 AM.

Comment

Sunday: August 28, 2011

Wow, I had the hugest carb flu incident in the morning. Woke up with a huge headache and my body felt like it was on fire, even more so than my usual soreness after practices. Figured I didn't eat enough carbs yesterday, so had some today to make up for it.

Breakfast: grapefruit, omelete with shallots and spinach, coffee with whipping cream
            Lunch: 1/3 pound cheddar cheese, sauteed amaranth leaves
            Snack: Frozen blueberries with whipping cream, 85% chocolate, frozen edamame
            Dinner: 1/3 pound cheddar cheese, tomatoes, and seaweed
            Snacks: Frozen blueberries with whipping cream, sesame seed powder

Carbs: 180g
            Protein: 180g
            Last edited by sakura_girl; 08-29-2011, 11:19 AM.

Comment

Monday: August 29, 2011

Okay, so now that I am not exhibiting the flu-like symptoms, I'm going to try extremely low carb again.

Breakfast: 85% chocolate
              Lunch: Chinese chives and eggs
              Snack: 85% chocolate
              After workout snack: raisins
              Dinner: Tomato, ground turkey and bok choy stir fry with garlic,
              Snack: Haw flakes and blueberries with whipping cream

Carbs: 190
              Protein: 93

Okay that low carb failed. At least I don't have to eat any more of the dried fruits my landlady brought back with her from China for me since I ate a ton in front of her XD
              Last edited by sakura_girl; 08-30-2011, 08:24 AM.

Comment

Welcome from a fellow chocoholic. Greens & Blacks is the bestest.

You seem to eat all kinds of cool things. How are quail eggs? They sell them at the farmer's market here. And I've always wanted to try squid, but it always is breaded(!) and cooked in PUFAs at restaurants. I'm too chicken to buy it myself. Yet, anyway. But is it good?

Re: your carb flu.

I'm not an expert on carb cycling. But you're doing a whack of exercise. Maybe you just do need more carbs? I was reading some other posts on doing VLC for athletic performance. I think the idea is, that if you keep the carbs under 50g, you'll successfully get into ketosis and once you ketoadapt, you'll run just fine on fat. Either/or, I guess.
                Last edited by CandylandCanary; 08-29-2011, 01:36 PM.
                Getting my Grok on in the Pacific Northwest.

"C is for cookie, that's good enough for me."
                "Cookie is a sometimes food."
                "Sometimes cookie monster eat APPLE instead of COOKIE. Sometimes eat CARROT."
                -Cookie Monster, partially reformed sugarholic

"

Comment

Thank you! I am so happy to run into fellow chocoholics in this forum who appreciate the higher cacao and fat content of dark chocolates!

And quail eggs are super yummy! I think it has to do with the fact that there is a higher yolk to white ratio, but the yolk tastes better than regular chicken eggs to me too. More of a rich taste, and you can't really overcook the yolk and get that really bad chalky texture like with chicken eggs. I bought mine at a Chinese supermarket for $1 for 10 eggs. I remember loving the stuff as a kid in China, so I took a chance to buy some last week and it was delicious. You should definitely try it!

Squid is really chewy if you overcook it, but I think it is pretty tasty. I ate some grilled quid at a Japanese restaurant, and they prepared it fairly well. I've also only seen it breaded at other types of restaurants, so I think your best bet is either salt and pepper squid at a Chinese restaurant (which may be cooked in oils with PUFAs, unfortunately), or grilled squid at a Japanese restaurant. One thing about squid and octopus is that it's somewhat high in carbs, but it is a seafood that is very nutritious!

I realized that about my exercise levels, so I was doing a high carb for the half day before my sports practice, but it looks like I need to do one afterward as well. Next week I'll up my carbs on both Friday and Saturday and begin high-fatting it on Sundays. But I definitely want to get into ketosis as soon as possible to minimize my carb flu symptoms, so I am glad that you are giving me another opinion that is confirming my suspicions about my reaction. So thank you!

Comment

Huh. Chinatown is just ten blocks from my new place in Victoria. I may have to try those quail eggs out. Can't argue with that price.

There's been a whack of carb refeeding threads around lately. People there would know a lot more than me.

You're welcome. And seriously, who could NOT like dark chocolate? These are people who just think they're chocoholics, when in fact they are merely in it for the sugar. Tsk. Philistines.

More for us, though.

"

Comment

Wow! You live in Victoria? I absolutely LOVE that island Soooo beautiful haha.

And I know what you mean by those "chocoholics" who totally love their M&Ms and Snickers! I just bite my tongue knowing I get a 90% later on that tastes a lot better ^^ What's your favorite chocolate brand?

Comment

I'm going to move to Vic very soon, just waiting on the condo being renovated. And I've got to hang out here and help my mom get my sister + baby packed off to move to England. Right now I'm in the Gulf Islands, but I'm in Vic twice a week.

Vancouver Island is pretty awesome. But I have yet to see more of California, myself... and I wanna. Five hours while jetlagged wandering around in LAX does not count as actually visiting. Did you guys get more of a summer down there? Ours up here wasn't that great.

Oh, and have you been to Tofino?

And I know what you mean by those "chocoholics" who totally love their M&Ms and Snickers! I just bite my tongue knowing I get a 90% later on that tastes a lot better ^^ What's your favorite chocolate brand?
                        Seriously! I don't get it, the top note of all that crappy 'chocolate' is sugar. All you can taste is sugar. There was actually a news story yesterday about how (shocker) chocolate is good for you. But then they had to haul on this exasperated researcher who read out the ingredients on an O Henry bar. "You have to have dark chocolate, at least 75% cocoa, and only lightly sweetened if that for the health benefit." And I'm like... so, what other kind is there? That's actually decent, I mean. And then they interview twenty people on the street who all go 'Nooo! Dark chocolate is bitter! I want milk chocolate!"

I think dark chocolate is just wasted on these people, anyway.

My absolute favorite chocolate in the universe forever and ever is Bernard Callebaut.
                        Chocolaterie Bernard Callebaut - Home

I know they used to sell unsweetened baking chocolate by the pound in their factory store in Calgary, I don't know if they still do. I haven't been back to Alberta for a while. Pretty sure they sell unsweetened cocoa still. They have sugarfree chocolate too, though I'm pretty sure it's sugar alcohols, and not xylitol either. But at least it isn't aspartame or something.

But when I'm not in Calgary, I tend to default to Greens & Blacks. Camino isn't bad either, though I think it's a hair overpriced.

"

Comment

Wow! Did you grow up there? I've been to Tofino, but only very briefly as part of a Rocky Mountains/Vancouver trip xD Absolutely loved it - I am so jealous of where you live

I used to live in LA for college, though I moved up to the SF Bay Area in Northern California (although I'm originally from Hawaii). I suppose it's been a pretty good summer in NorCal, but I would definitely have preferred my warm summer showers and daily hikes and warm beaches in Hawaii

Haha, I just feel that it's too bad for the average person who dislikes dark chocolate and goes for the milk. They probably just grew up on the really junk stuff, so they have no appreciation for the real thing. Too bad...but more for us, as you said

I've never heard of that brand, but it looks soooo delicious Do you know where their cacao from their baking bars are from? Will definitely keep my eyes peeled for them next time I'm in BC! And thanks for the recommendation!
                          I've yet to try a Scharffen Berger, since I've been scared of the price every time I walk into Whole Foods, but I heard it's the best. I am going to make it my reward chocolate bar if I get to my goal in a month. Have you ever tried the brand?

Comment

Tuesday: August 30, 2011

Breakfast: 2 eggs
                            Lunch: Scrambled eggs and chives
                            Lifting snack: Jamba juice berry fulfilling with whey
                            Dinner: Steamed vegetables and raisins
                            After dinner snack: Blueberries with whipping cream...and more raisins

Carbs: 278
                            Protein: 74

Whoops...no more Jamba Juice for me.
                            Last edited by sakura_girl; 08-31-2011, 11:25 AM.

Comment

Wednesday: August 31, 2011

Breakfast: 85% chocolate bar
                              Lunch: Shrimp salad with blue cheese dressing
                              Dinner: Canned salmon with garlic, onions, and tomatoes, drizzled with olive oil and sprinkle of lime juice
                              After dinner snack: Blueberries and coconut milk
                              After after dinner snack: too many haw flakes and 85% chocolate bar

Carbs: 197
                              Protein: 74

Starting tomorrow I think I'm going to log my fats because I don't think I'm eating enough, with all the extra carbs in the evening. Although these extra sugars are really going to keep me going during my hour-long intense cardio group exercise at the gym
                              Last edited by sakura_girl; 08-31-2011, 10:57 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X