No announcement yet.

The Chocoholic's Primal Road

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow, yesterday I ate almost no chocolate and my carbs were a lot lower despite eating those donut holes and mochi? Maybe I should start limiting chocolate...

Friday, September 16, 2011:

Food log
    Breakfast: G&B Espresso Bar, cream cheese and a fig
    Lunch: Half pound of ham and quarter pound of spring mix.
    Dinner: LOTS OF DUCK

Ratios
    Carbs: 73
    Protein: 59 + unknown duck protein
    Fat: 78 + unknown duck fat
    Last edited by sakura_girl; 09-19-2011, 03:02 PM.
    My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

Comment

Well I can't really track what I ate over the weekend. It was a 2-day tournament, and I spent most of it standing around and eating, and less than half an hour of real intense exercise each day. Maybe lots of moving slowly made up for my food intake? Since I weighed 149 when I came back despite feeling all the food in my stomach and the salt in my system. I kept things mostly Primal, with several handful of nuts thrown in, and a big bowl of fried rice, so I am proud that I did not eat any of the Costco omega-3 muffin thingies or other flour-filled foods. Time to officially get 100% Primal today!!

Comment

Monday, September 19, 2011:

Food log:
        Breakfast: IF
        Lunch: 3 eggs and several frozen cups of Chinese stir fry veggies
        Snack: someone nice enough to give me a mixed nut mooncake...ate 1/4 so far, and my coworker's egg yolks
        Dinner: salmon cakes (4/30/13 ratio), amaranth with garlic, and goat cheese
        After-dinner snack: blue cheese, then some blueberries with cream

Ratios:
        Carbs: 101
        Protein: 154
        Fat: 185

Exercise:
        Moved slowly for 60 minutes getting groceries and biking to work
        Half an hour of deadlifts and snatches. Still trying to re-perfect my form after 3 months of mia =(
        Last edited by sakura_girl; 09-20-2011, 09:05 AM.

Comment

Wow, you can really see a difference in your carb consumption in just a couple weeks! I too am a slave to chocolate...my only saving grace is I live in a country that makes crap chocolate, and on my budget I can't afford to go to specialty stores to get the good stuff.

That being said, if any fellow sympathizers wants to sends mes somes g&b goodness in guatemala, I will accept!

Good luck on your journey!

Comment

Now that you point it out, I can really see what my carbs are like! I think for the next few weeks I'm going to limit my chocolate consumption to only 95%+ range so that I don't tempt myself with too many carbs.

Aw, it's too bad you can't get good stuff there, but at least there are a lot of different foods to try there in guatemala! Good luck on your journey as well!

Comment

I was really tired yesterday, but after the workout didn't feel sleepy until 11PM. I think I will not workout today so that I can sleep earlier and get a longer sleep at night. I'm a monster with eating if I don't sleep at the right time...

Tuesday, September 20, 2011:

Food log:
              Breakfast: the 3/4 of the mooncake I didn't eat yesterday, excluding the wheat exterior
              Lunch: Salmon burgers with amaranth
              Dinner: Tomatoes and cheese...then my landlady gave me a bowl full of tofu noodles and beef cooked in vegetable oil...couldn't be a b!t@h and refuse it :X ... then i had some seaweed
              Late night snack: Caved into 100g of 85% TJs chocolate bar I had remaining. Need to find a better excuse than "it's melting" for not eating it xD Also ate some coconut flour...yum!

Ratios:
              Carbs: 140
              Protein: 164
              Fat: 195

Exercise log:
              4 miles bike ride to work
              12 miles back from work, got lost trying to take a different route XD
              Last edited by sakura_girl; 09-21-2011, 08:33 AM.

Comment

Very curious about your diet. I notice slot of chocolate and cheese. Little protein. Can you give me some insight to your method? Thanks.

Comment

Little protein? I often get over 100g, but I hear that it's not good to go over too much. I really love eating chocolate and cheese, and as long as my ratios are reasonable, I let myself indulge. I only eat goat and raw cheese, and chocolates are usually 85% or higher in cacao, which can be placed in a Primal diet.

Comment

Surprisingly I woke up this morning witha gnawing hunger feeling in my stomach for several hours. Since I ate so much last night, I decided not to eat breakfast since I was pretty sure my system was full.

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Food log:
                    Breakfast: IF
                    Lunch: Salad with chicken and greek goddess dressing
                    Snack: Peanuts and like 6 macadamias
                    Pre-workout snack: Was at Sprouts bulk bins and couldn't help but sample a lot of the chocolate covered *insert fruit or nut*
                    Dinner: Grass fed ground beef with amaranth (licked my plate clean of the tablespoon of fat!)
                    Post-dinner: Wanted some cheese...the last of my cheese, thank goodness! XD
                    Yikes...then had a craving and ate the rest of the chocolate covered cherries that was meant to be pre-workout food lol. Good thing I only bought 4 oz...

Ratios:
                    Carbs: 131
                    Protein: 177
                    Fat: 223

Exercise
                    Morning 4 mile ride to work
                    Afternoon 10 mile ride back home. Stopped for groceries, walked around the entire supermarket twice, and did bench press and seated row at the gym

Argh...need stricter standards. I need to eat a lot less carbs so that the fats are more satiating. I need to stop snacking when I'm tired -.- Good thing I'm armed with a bunch of macadamias now, so I won't eat those evil peanuts
                    Last edited by sakura_girl; 09-21-2011, 10:07 PM.

Comment

Hey - So great to read another journal where breakfast = chocolate!! yay! I'm another chocolate eater. I'm sticking to 90% and above to keep the carbs down. My goal for the 30 day challenge was carbs under 80g a day. I've managed it on the most part, with lots of days coming in about 50g - even with chocolate. Thank goodness!! Your posts have definitely brought a smile to my face.

I also struggle with sleeping. Does magnesium help? I read that lots of people with chocolate cravings are deficient in magnesium?

So, how is it going weight loss wise? I've been resisting weighing myself... Sooooo Hard!

Comment

Haha I'm glad to see that someone doesn't think I'm crazy! (all my coworkers think I am! XD)

Great job with the carbs! I am getting better at it now that I'm eating more cheese and less chocolate, but I definitely like to have a daily square at the very least if I can :<

I did try the magnesium tablets for three nights in a row, and I fell asleep and stayed asleep until my alarm went off, which was really good. I only gave myself about 6-7 hours of sleep (not enough) so I was really drowsy for the day afterward. Last night I didn't take a tablet and I had a lot of trouble sleeping, so I think I am indeed magnesium deficient. That would explain how I didn't crave or eat chocolate during the days I ate the tablets too! Good insight - maybe you should give it a go

I only saw a 1kg loss since about 2 weeks ago. I think that's pretty good since when I weighed myself, I was really full of food and the salt/msg from the day before, so if I dial down the sodium in the next few days, I should see rapid loss of (water!) weight.

I'm having a really hard time staying awake at work, but I'm not sure if it's the sleep deprivation or the low carb flu. Eating something with small amounts of sugar temporarily helps, though my heart starts hammering once I go over the 30g carbs in one sitting mark...don't know why that is XD

Comment

Phew! Ate the last of my mooncake, so definitely feeling the sugar rush as I plan for my afternoon step aerobics workout

Thursday, September 22, 2011

Food log:
                          Breakfast: Almost an entire mooncake (with lots of duck egg yolk!! =] ) sans outer wheat shell
                          Snack: Macadamias
                          Lunch: Grass fed beef with amaranth
                          Dinner: lots of chocolate covered peanuts...and then some tomatoes for something healthy at least...

Macros:
                          Carbs: 130
                          Protein: 66
                          Fat: 130

Exercise
                          Bike 4 miles to work
                          Bike 4 miles back from work

So I found this half pound of chocolate covered peanuts in the back of the freezer...after coming home tired from work I think I really badly wanted the sugar? or that mooncake was too insulin-spiking. I haven't added the peanuts to my macros because I am sure that my carbs hit over 200g today. Am planning on doing a fast tomorrow to see what happens. No exercise tonight because I felt tired, and will be resting for another two days. Getting slightly antsy about not working out as much as I used to. Oh well! Down the magnesium supplement goes
                          Last edited by sakura_girl; 09-22-2011, 10:33 PM.

Comment

So I re-read what the basics of Primal Blueprinting was today, and I think I failed in a lot of it with different respects. Although I have eliminated grains, I still eat a lot of sugar from fruit and chocolate, which has kept my carbs consistently above 100g. I also read today's article on MDA about Paula, and I think I have that same syndrome of indulging way too much.

No more of this bullshit. Time to get Primal for real. Limited nuts (pound of macadamias in the freezer). Very limited dairy (once a week cheese and very minute amounts in coffee). No fruit. No sugar. I am only going to eat 99% or 100% cacao if I want chocolate. Lots and lots of greens. I have lots of butter and coconut oil and olive oil. This should be easy since I have everything I need. Every time I get a craving for anything I'll take a shot of oil or drink coconut milk. I can do this!!
                            Last edited by sakura_girl; 09-23-2011, 10:30 AM. Reason: Spelling and grammar errors

Comment

Alright, the start of something new! I ate completely Primal this weekend with no nuts and no cheese, though I probably could have worked a little on my carbohydrate intake. I'm not going to let it get me down, though. That was my break on working my way up on the little things, so now that I have a better handle on it, I'm going to go at things full force!

On a side note - water retention is super rough. I'm up at 154 pounds this morning, probably since my carb intake has been so high. I'm going to burn it off on tonight's boot camp, though, so tomorrow should go a lot more swimmingly.

Comment

Goals for the week:
                                - carbs under 50g
                                - 8-9 hours of sleep

Monday, September 26

Food log
                                Breakfast: Venti coffee with what I logged as half and half (I think they cheated on me when I requested whipping cream...)
                                Lunch: Meatloaf containing grass fed beef, onions, garlic, tomato paste, and dried herbs, with thawed spinach on top
                                Mid-afternoon pick-me-up: Venti coffee refill with whipping cream, dry
                                Dinner: 3 eggs, 1 medium tomato
                                Midnight snack: about a Tablespoon or two of coconut oil

Carb intake (g)
                                Last edited by sakura_girl; 09-26-2011, 10:48 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X