• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starting Strength Day 3 (workout #3)

Excludes 2 sets of warm-ups for each:
    Bench: 3 x 5, 155 (+5 vs. previous wo)
    Squats: 3 x 5, 125 (+10)
    Deadlift: 1 x 5, 115 (+10)
    Dips (improvised using bench): 50 lbs, 2 x 8 (+15)

Today already, I felt MUCH more comfortable around the weights and actually did today's fasted! I used my Nike Free Runs for squats and so far, so good with the IT band. I should see marked improvement with the squats/deads since I'm being overly cautious upfront. Even with added weight today, both were "easy" (which was not the case in the first 2 workouts!). I'm probably being too aggressive with the bench press and may hold at 155 for another session before moving up.

I think I'm going to pick up this power tower for dips and pull-ups. I've been using a door frame pull-up bar with p90x for years, but want to start adding weight to my pull-ups in addition to being able to do dips properly.
    p90x2 Leangains Journal - Phase II (January - April 2012)

Leangains & Starting Strength Journal - Phase I (August - Dec 2011)

Comment

Week 9 Progress Update

Weight: 139.4 (-0.5, -7.1 overall)
      BF % (3-pt Test): down 0.6% (-4.2% overall)
      Waist: 29.3" (-0.2", -1.9" overall)
      Stomach: 29.1" (-0.2", -2.3" overall)

Slow and steady progress continues! Nine weeks in of IF, 7 weeks of Fitday tracking and now 2 weeks of Starting Strength. Measurements all down again, no complaints!

This week, had a few work lunch outing "obstacles" this week but otherwise everything was on track. Went to the Meadowlands last weekend, and poor parking led to an unscheduled but needed long walk! Sometimes I wonder if the lack of any cardio whatsoever of late could be preventing things from moving a little faster, but Martin seems to be pretty opposed to any cardio work besides walking.

Got in two more starting strength workouts on Saturday and again on Wednesday. I picked up the Stamina 1690 from amazon and put that together earlier this week -- I'm pretty psyched to do dips today! My dip belt also came in Thursday so now I can start adding weight to dips as well as chin-ups.
      May start to hit the weights 3x a week vs. 2x now that I'm settling in and still very motivated!!

Comment

Shortly after last Saturday's post, I reconfigured my Starting Strength workouts to 3x a week as follows:

Saturday:
        Squats
        Bench / Press (alternate)
        Dead Lifts
        Dips

Monday:
        Squats
        Bench / Press (alt.)
        Pull-Ups

Wednesday:
        Squats
        Bench / Press (alt.)
        Chin-Ups

Press is another weak spot, I hadn't done any in the first two weeks. I had mistakenly read Bench Press and Press as the same thing! Moron.. lol

Anyway, I thought I hated lifting, but so far I'm kinda digging it, especially having a schedule to go off of. Exercises, reps and weights are pretty much taken care of through the month of December and all I gotta do is show up (in my garage...ha!). It's early but every time I add new weight to squats or the deads, my body seems ready. Today squats were at 140 and bench at 165 (though the latter was really a struggle for 3x5) and +10 lbs on the weighted chins.

Nutrition wise, now with 3 weights/days a week, this results in another day of bumping up my carbs & cals a bit but still only in a caloric surplus on Saturday's weights day (so I'm still not 100% LG-compliant). I'll have to see if I reach a point where I need to go into a caloric surplus on all training days if progress stalls.

On a side TMI note, I've been having digestive issues the last week, and really since this whole LG thing started, I'm still not quite where I was prior to in terms of being fully "regular". One change in the last week was I bought a lot of fresh peppers from the grocery store (I'm usually a frozen veggies guy, so this was a big step) so I've had quite a bit more than usual. Then I read this on nightshades and am now wondering if I could have a sensitivity to them. Considering I am lactose intolerant, gluten intolerant and have allergies to random fruits, it wouldn't at all surprise me!

Comment

Week 10 Progress Update

Weight: 138.9 (-0.5, -7.6 overall)
          BF % (3-pt Test): down 0.3% (-4.5% overall)
          Waist: 29.1" (-0.2", -2.1" overall)
          Stomach: 29.0" (-0.2", -2.5" overall)

Pleased with the changes.. I was sick on Wednesday and Thursday but still stuck to workouts and diet and I'm back at 100% this morning. Even with 1 additional higher calorie day, still dropped a little weight and BF.

I'm also enjoying the fact that I'm no longer languishing with p90x and looking forward to today's starting strength workout.. as I mentioned earlier I love how the whole thing is "automated"!

Picture Update (8/20 vs. 10/22)!

For 10 weeks, it's not overly dramatic, but I don't really feel like I'm making huge sacrifices to my personal life (workout time of late is 45 min a session, max and by trying to hit certain macros with primal food, I do have allowance for an occasional gluten-free cookie or serving of ice cream!).

For anyone following IF and Leangains, do you ever "hit the reset button"? I've been on this for 10 weeks without breaking a fast - since I'm not seeing any stall in progress, I probably won't change anything, but I'm curious to hear others' experiences!

Comment

Week 11 Progress Update

Weight: 138.6 (-0.3, -7.9 overall)
            BF % (3-pt Test): down 0.6% (-5.1% overall)
            Waist: 28.9" (-0.2", -2.3" overall)
            Stomach: 28.8" (-0.2", -2.7" overall)

Had a couple of "off days" due to several work events outside my control. Chose wisely at the restaurants and buffets presented, but it's always difficult to figure out what "secret sauce" is being used! A couple glasses of wine one night led to saying yes to a plate of mini-desserts, but I survived..lol. The Leangains 16x8 window FTW!

Anyway, real happy that my body fat continues to head south and quite frankly a little surprised after this week, but I'm starting to wonder if I'll have lost enough of it when I actually head south over Christmas!

Starting Strength is going pretty well, starting to see some shoulder development and my legs are hardening up. I'm tempted to bump up calories a little to see if I can attempt a body recomp involving an increase in LBM, but since I'm still making slow, steady progress without any plateaus (knock on wood), let's just keep this thing going!

Comment

Those are huge results. Fantastic progress.

Comment

Originally posted by jens522 View Post
                Those are huge results. Fantastic progress.
                Thanks! I also owe you a little gratitude for the comment on the fruit, dark chocolate and nuts on the first page of this thread.. once I quit in between meals snacking, things seemed to accelerate!

Comment

Yesterday's SS workout was done fasted (no pre-workout BCAAs either), and I felt awesome at first.. I moved up to 3x5, 170 on the bench and up to 160 on squats. But then came my pathetic deadlifts! Trying to pick up 150# just wasn't happening. I don't know if it was suddenly running out of gas or if my form is ridiculously off.. in any case I'm going to read up and watch some videos to make sure I'm ready to go next week!

Bad, bad eatin' yesterday too at a friend's party.. but once 8 pm hit I turned off the switch and was done. Still, I actually felt pretty horrible towards the end of the night and in some ways it's a not-so-subtle reminder to be good the rest of the week!

Comment

Originally posted by Ray-NJ View Post
                    Thanks! I also owe you a little gratitude for the comment on the fruit, dark chocolate and nuts on the first page of this thread.. once I quit in between meals snacking, things seemed to accelerate!
                    Awesome! I'm doing SS too and really don't get why they have deads and squats in the same session. Try dong deads first next time. It helps.

Comment

Great stuff, Ray! Benching 170 at 138.6 bodyweight is really something to be proud of. In fact, that surpasses a benchmark called EMI Level 2, which is a target for somebody who's been lifting for two years. Don't know how long you've been benching, but that's pretty cool any way you slice it.

Personally, I never do benches, squats, or deads on the same day. All are exhausting when done at full effort. Recently I tried combining them as an experiment and discovered that squatting first sucked the life out of my bench press. Following that with a deadlift attempt would have been comical. Not trying to mess with a routine that's working for you, but this is just what I noticed.

Comment

Originally posted by jens522 View Post
                        Awesome! I'm doing SS too and really don't get why they have deads and squats in the same session. Try dong deads first next time. It helps.
                        Thanks, will give that a shot! By the time I've been getting to DLs, it's the third exercise so hopefully being a little fresher and fixing the form will get me going!

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy View Post
                          Great stuff, Ray! Benching 170 at 138.6 bodyweight is really something to be proud of. In fact, that surpasses a benchmark called EMI Level 2, which is a target for somebody who's been lifting for two years. Don't know how long you've been benching, but that's pretty cool any way you slice it.

Personally, I never do benches, squats, or deads on the same day. All are exhausting when done at full effort. Recently I tried combining them as an experiment and discovered that squatting first sucked the life out of my bench press. Following that with a deadlift attempt would have been comical. Not trying to mess with a routine that's working for you, but this is just what I noticed.
                          Thanks! I've had an olympic set for 7 years or so, but barely touched it since getting p90x in early '08.. I think I had gotten up to 185 or so the last go around but no real routine going on. p90x, with all the push ups and what not, probably helped maintain some strength so I've been able to bounce back pretty quick. With squats, deads and the press, I feel like I'm pretty much starting anew here!

What you're saying makes complete sense, I think Martin of LG says something similar (never combine deads/squats).. Still, I'm hesitant to start messing with the SS routine just a few weeks in. I'll try jens522's suggestion of switching the order first but may look to drop squats from my Saturday workout if things don't progress there.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray-NJ View Post
                            What you're saying makes complete sense, I think Martin of LG says something similar (never combine deads/squats).. Still, I'm hesitant to start messing with the SS routine just a few weeks in. I'll try jens522's suggestion of switching the order first but may look to drop squats from my Saturday workout if things don't progress there.
                            I totally agree. As long as SS is bringing the gains, milk it for all it's worth!

Comment

Week 12 Progress Update

Weight: 137.8 (-0.8, -8.7 overall)
                              BF % (3-pt Test): down 0.6% (-5.7% overall)
                              Waist: 28.8" (-0.1", -2.4" overall)
                              Stomach: 28.7" (-0.1", -2.8" overall)

I had so much sh*t thrown at me at work this week, it was insane! Halloween candy, pumpkin pies, pumpkin bread, carrot cake, red velvet cake, you name it! And I barely touched any of it! I expected to net out fairly even on weight loss and BF loss after a big lunch on Sunday that made last weekend feel like a giant loss, but hit my targeted cals, fat and protein each day Mon-Fri and adjusted down slightly and it appears to have worked. Considering I have another big lunch with a preplanned menu this Sunday, I'm not dreading it as much now.

Yet strangely, I'm a little frustrated this week that there's no sign of the abdominals poking through. Have to remind myself it's a marathon, not a sprint... Calipers have me way low now (laughably, 8% when I know I'm still 12%+ easy) but my fat is concentrated in spots I'm not hitting with the 3-pt test; this "zone of fat" from my lower back and stomach down to my glutes. I'm hoping IF and Leangains start hitting those spots hard soon!

Will do today's SS session after breaking fast and moving DLs first to see if I can get more weight up. Also watching some youtube videos this AM and already seeing I was clearing doing something other than dead lifting last week..
                              Last edited by Ray-NJ; 11-05-2011, 06:37 AM.

Comment

Found this interesting -- Here's a composite look at my nutrition the past two months - generally includes rest days + workout days, with Saturday being a major exception (I haven't been tracking Sat's which have been "cheat" days).

Not doing a bang up job on all micronutrients, current supps include a multi, C, B-complex, D, Fish Oil, Calcium (may not be needed), Magnesium and then there's Garlic, Alpha-Lipoic Acid and Green Tea (whew!). May need to up the red meat and spinach with my zinc/iron totals..

Comment

Working...
                                X