No announcement yet.

Primal Journal-deMuralist

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My husband went to a "world renowned" cardiologist a few months ago, who promptly told him to lose 15 pounds (even though a very detailed body fat measurement said he only had 5 to lose) by eating 1,800 low fat complex carbohydrate calories. Started him on statins, (he is 54 no previous heart attact but kind of high cholesterol according to the doc) and recommended a morning oatmeal breakfast. I was concerned. Doc told dh that carbs are essential to our brain function and to having enough energy to function.

So I started reading, and listing questions to ask on his next visit. He doesn't want me to go along because-well-I ask too many questions?!? He went to the doc today, apparently they were both nonplussed by my questions....such things as is the LDL level tested or calculated (response:he does all his own tests-me "so it is tested?" dh "I told you he does all his own tests" mmm?)

It is heartbreaking, but I am afraid I just have to step away. Dh is primal at home, he won't cook and I won't cook non-primal (guess what he doesn't get oatmeal for breakfast or in the homemade grainless granola). I can't stop the statins, but I can do what is within my reach and hope the rest will take care of itself.

Hope I have better luck with my son.
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

Yuck, statins. At least you are feeding your husband well. It's the best you can do.
      Primal since 9/24/2010
      "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
      MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Comment

Funny, because he had to meet with the nutritionist again. I had started Atkins the week before he went to them the first time and of course he got the CW spiel. And, of course, I ignored it. Then I grew into Primal and started making his cereal and breakfast bars, and totally Primal dinners with rare appearance of rice or potato for he and DS. He lost 6 pounds, and the nutritionist asked what he was eating, and he said "Well I can't really tell you. My wife makes some homemade granola-it must have oats in it, and some kind of homemade breakfast bars that must have some kind of grain in them" (I did not correct him) And the nutritionist said that was great, (this is the same woman who gave him a list of cereals all of which had sugar in the first 3 ingredients-I would not even let my young children select a cereal unless sugar fell after the 5th ingredient) but she was worried that because I don't keep fruit in the house. I told him since none of us eat it I always end up throwing it away, but if he wanted to keep it as decorations we could treat it like fresh flowers and put some colorful fruit in a bowl on the table.

ok, well rats, true confession. I am cooking for a dinner tomorrow. I am a taste tester, I have to I am too scatterbrained and have way too often forgotten an ingredient. Anyway, I was making a homemade mayo, tasted it and it was beyond awful, think one of the oils was rancid because it didn't just taste bad it kind of stung the back of my throat, weird. Then I am making a flourless dark chocolate cake/brownie thing. I don't eat the desserts if I make them, they only seem fun if someone else makes them, but if I don't even taste it there is no interest. Well I tasted the batter and OMG, well I ended up doing more than tasting it. Man I was just starting to feel like I was getting somewhere with this reset, hope this doesn't set me too far back.

At any rate there is nothing I can do about it now except jump right back on track, which should be no problem really cause it is really sitting heavy in the belly.

So yesterday...

B: mocha, 2 eggs
        L: romaine, salmon, oil and vinegar, avocado
        D: meatza (I did not care for this), and all the tastes;~(
        Chris
        "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
        Unknown

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

Last night was the Bluebird on the Mountain concert, and one of the best we have seen. The series has been going on for 7 years, every summer 1x a month for 6 months. We have had season tickets and only ever had to miss one of the concerts. They are a very casual concert where they have 3 songwriters sit on the stage with their guitars, no back up, and talk about where their songs came from and sing them, backing each other up on vocals. It is a fantastic format with a feel like we are all sitting in the back yard with friends. You take dinner and beverages and chairs and spread out on the lawn.

Last night it sprinkled early in the night (luckily I had ponchos in the bag we took) and then got quite cold-well for the way I was dressed anyway. But truly fantastic show.

So in addition to cleaning the kitchen up after making the meal, I put the first coat of primer on the front screen door and the new shelves in my laundry room-we are definitely doing our part to keep the local economy moving!

For food...

B: mocha, 2 eggs-not only do I not have to choke this down in the morning I look forward to it.
          L: coleslaw, pulled pork
          D: coleslaw with vinaigrette and almonds and craisins, chicken salad with red pepper, brocolli, and mayo dressing, and a tomato/cucumber/kalamata olive salad in a vinaigrette. I did NOT have anymore of the dessert-I had plenty during the tasting phase!

The improvement in my sleep is wonderful, I am waking up early without an alarm, and do not remember my dreams. My face does not appear nearly as puffy (probably because I dont' have straps pressing against it all night any more), have the energy to start doing the things I want to do. So happy that it looks like I have this worked out.
          Chris
          Unknown

Comment

Dh told me last night that he went to his medical account to check his blood test results (we can do that online, as well as message our docs/nurses-very nice) anyway. He says his LDL's are up, but that it said they were calculated. It probably would have been more effective for me to not say anything but, I felt like I had to explain why I had asked. At any rate it shows he does actually listen to things I say, sometimes anyway.

So yesterday I did a second coat of primer on the screen door and the shelves in the laundry as well as deciding that the new screen door was making the inside of the front door look worn and shabby, so I primed most of it too, will finish today. It is raining today so will have to wait to start painting the final color coats till it dries up a bit.

DH had a restless night so I did not sleep that well last night. Too bad because I have a lot to do today...get the blood tested, finish the HS bulletin boards, after I pick up more staples, finish priming the inside of the front door, and take DS to rifle practice, and while there start planning for the painting of inspirational quotes on the range walls.

yesterday's food...

B: mocha, 3 eggs (I was hungry)
            L: leftover coleslaw, leftover chicken salad, leftover tomato/cucumber salad, chai tea with coconut milk and stevia
            D: brisket, caesar salad
            Chris
            Unknown

Comment

Yesterday, did my blood test for my INR which was in range so I am good till the 17th of October, which is when I am supposed to be able to get off of the Coumaden. Looking forward to that.

Then had to run some errands and go over to the High School to finish up the bulletin boards, then home for late lunch and then took DS to rifle practice, then we went out for dinner as DH had said he was doing dinner at his conference (he later decided to just come home and eat, so I still ended up cooking). We went to a place that serves local pastured beef as well as pastured meats and local produce. The first time we went it was fantastic, pricey but worth it. This time the meat was tasteless and dry and still pricey but so not worth it, won't be going back!

L: leftover brisket, tomatoes
              D: burger, bacon, cheese, steamed spinach, tea with coconut oil (as soon as I got home)

Need to go to the grocery store this afternoon.

And I have got to get my son on this primal bandwagon, he is soft and lethargic. Luckily he likes protein sources, unlukily he likes the treats as well. I am going to get him as primal as I possibly can so I need to find him a portable breakfast, which may just end up being bacon? gonna have to work on this.
              Chris
              Unknown

Comment

Had to mow the lawn yesterday when I got home from work, I should have done it last week, the grass was way too long. Will fertilize it today. Also need to finish priming the front door then on to the real painting. Hopefully will get this all done during the week so I can do some plantings this weekend!

Yesterdays food...

B: Mocha (I was out of eggs)
                L: salmon, romaine, avocado, olive oil, vinegar, tea, coconut milk, stevia, coconut oil
                D: butter, cabbage, chicken sausage, tea, coconut milk, stevia
                Chris
                Unknown

Comment

Hurray for you getting off the Coumadin! I am going to get myself an INR testing machine so that I don't have to go to the Dr. as often.
                  Primal since 9/24/2010
                  "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Comment

When I talked to the technician yesterday she said she has some one who had a similar situation as me, and was off the coumadin for 2 weeks and ended up back in the hospital.

I am wondering if, and I will definitely ask her next time, if food with vitamin K actually thins the blood or does it just mess with the INR results. Seems like I could eat a lot of the things I have supposedly been restricting and keep the blood thinner that way? things like green tea, which I really miss, and increase the greens, etc.
                    Chris
                    Unknown

Comment

Vitamin K coagulates the blood it doesn't thin it. Doctors say restrict those things so that they don't fight the effects of the coumadin. My doc said eat what you want, but be consistent and they would adjust the Coumadin accordingly. I am never getting off due to family history so I might as well eat the greens.
                      Primal since 9/24/2010

Comment

Rats, thought that was too easy, yes my doc said the same thing-basically eat what you want and we will adjust your dosage, except for the green tea.

I just looked up foods that are natural blood thinners...

-omega-3 fatty acids can be found in fish (salmon, herring, mackerel, lake trout, albacore tuna and anchovies), flax seed, chia seeds, and pumpkin seeds.
                        -most fruits especially grapes, raisins, oranges, cherries, strawberries, blueberries, cranberries, tangerines and prunes
                        -many types of spices and flavorings (oregano, cinnamon, paprika, licorice, ginger, turmeric, peppermint, dill, thyme, as well as curry powder and cayenne pepper).
                        -Nuts such as almonds, walnuts, hazelnuts, peanuts and pistachios.

and of course, aspirin.

Gonna work to prevent a recurrence. My dose of Coumadin is quite high, I would strongly prefer not to have to do it for life.
                        Last edited by demuralist; 09-28-2011, 03:22 PM. Reason: add info
                        Chris
                        Unknown

Comment

Well, yesterday was a cut up day, did not have a long enough time to do any painting. I did get some tray that I think we can use for making jerky and will start that process today or tomorrow.

Went to Wednesday night supper at church, and the only thing there I could eat was the salad, and they were just about out of it, so I had a cup of it for my dinner. Not enough, got home and had some nuts and a small bowl of my homemade grain free granola with coconut milk. That was not very satisfying, but I stopped anyway. I should have just had a cup of tea, I don't think I was physically hungry as much as I felt deprived for not getting to have any dinner. I will know for next time.

yesterday's food...

L: broccoli, romaine, homemade ranch, salmon, avocado, tea, coconut milk
                          D: caesar salad, homemade 'granola', coconut milk, walnuts
                          Chris
                          Unknown

Comment

Well, I approach my weigh in day with a mixture of excitement and trepidation. All day yesterday I tried to catch glimpses of myself in the mirror that would tell me I had lost weight. I have a bit of fear that the scale will not have moved, or worse moved in the wrong direction.

Yesterday had a few stresses that I could live without-a member of DS's rifle team acts in a flippant, unsafe manner and has a lack of respect for the equipment, fellow team members, and the coaches. It just drives me insane. Then we got home and Dh handed me the bill from my new oral device. It is supposed to be covered by insurance and we got a $450 bill. He hands it to me and says "don't stick me with a bill" sometimes he acts like a total ass, this is one of those times.

I just opted to go to bed early-9:00- I am trying to not let it stress me now. Stress is not good for weight loss.

Yesterday I ate...
                            B: mocha
                            L: broccoli, ground beef, homemade ranch, tea, coconut milk
                            D: ground beef, tomato, onion, garlic, broccoli

I am going to start adding in some of the foods that act as blood thinners, in anticipation of ridding myself of the Coumadin. The first addition will be a 1/4C of blueberries, probably with dinner and a touch of coconut milk, as soon as I get to Trader Joe's and get some.

I also think I need to increase my carbs to closer to 50g-I have been hovering near 20g and I am not getting over the 'carb flu'. I still tend to be low energy, and my muscles have zero endurance (ie. walking up the stairs makes them feel week). I will be keeping the high protein breakfast, but may add some veggie to it as well as to the rest of the day.

The things I have gotten from the "Leptin Reset" are my high protein breakfast, no snacking between meals or after dinner, and getting my 8 hours of sleep I am going to keep as part of my program.
                            Chris
                            Unknown

Comment

I admire how you have kept up your journal. I didn't start a journal until well into my primal journey nor did I take any measurements.

I have been successful in my weight loss and am also trying to change my need for meds through diet and exercise.

Your backyard work sounds very much like my efforts. I'm a perennial flower gardener and also live on a lake. The last few summers have involved picking up roadside rocks and organizing them (by size) so my son can / did / build me 4 rock walls down by the lake. They are wonderful and I love them.

I find myself alway looking for rocks....when they work on the dirt roads here in Michigan they often bring in dirt and plow the excess to the side of the road. Sometimes, lucky for me, the rocks are larger and useful and I pick them up - especially knowing that picking up heavy things is part of my regimen.

I, too, have found that I am sleeping through the night and awaking without an alarm. I'm sure I didn't notice it right away but all of a sudden I did and smiled inside.

Keep up the good work. I love that working in my gardens can be considered "working out". I never thought of it that way until going primal. I have been primal since late January. My blood #s are great. I can't wait until my next annual to see if they improved even more.

I see that you post from Nashville. I was down there this spring when my grandson flew up from Gulfport, MS, and we drove back to Michigan from there. I'm trying to think of the park where we camped - a western state park that could sure use some tender loving care but huge. We were only there for a long weekend, so we didn't wander around much in Nashville proper due to having 3 young granddaughters with us too.

Keep up the good work. Yeah for you!
                              Female back to the basics: 11-12-16
                              CW: 10-11-16: 144
                              GW: 130 a dream, I know
                              Muscle soreness surrounding Neck, Thyroid and Rosacea issues.

Comment

I admire her too as i find it hard with work to muster the energy! But i am here lurking...
                                Have high hopes that journaling can keep me on track: www.southerndink.com If you are on twitter hit me up so we can keep each other motivated: http://twitter.com/SouthernDink

Comment

Working...
                                X