No announcement yet.

Primal Journal-deMuralist

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Karin, you must be really close though. How tall are you?

Paula, I am thrilled that you are asking yourself those questions instead of beating yourself up!!!
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• It's funny how we learn from each other. I was insisting that my binges were wholly emotional/psychological while you were insisting that binges are due to a nutritional need. It turns out that for me it is both. Once I fulfill the nutritional need, dealing with the emotions without bingeing is so much easier. I don't need to beat myself up anymore because I have tools that are helping me be successful. I think the constant failure to avoid the binges was wearing on me.
      Primal since 9/24/2010
      "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
      MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Comment

• That's been one really awesome benefit of having a journal. I really have learned so much everyone!
        -- Ruth

Comment

• Paula, I am so excited that you can see where I am coming from. I think that since the science is not totally there for a real clear understanding of how binges work, we have to make our best guess. And a series of things that I read and tried over the course of this past year or so really helped me to see that, for me, when I am physically nourished it is easier to deal with the emotions. And actually for me things started to clear almost 3 years ago, when I was in a forum where people were enumerating their emotional reasons for binging and I thought wow that is so NOT me. And at the same time I read about the Starvation Experiment and saw how those men reacted, what they did, and their emotions and a light bulb clicked for me. And then things I have read about the idea that people resist exercise because their bodies are not burning fuel in a manner that makes it enjoyable. Knowing that I am not a lazy, junk eating, slob and convincing myself that I am not the person that so many of the established nutrition/diet experts say are what overweight Americans are.

I heard a quote last night that really talks to this. I don't know who said it but it went something like "I would not be where I am today if I wasn't where I was yesterday".

So I really think that all the diets I have gone through and all the things I was able to take away from them and knowing that doing SAD (even with exercise) not only didn't get or keep me at a reasonable weight it is the reason I ended up being 130 pounds overweight, and that is what made doing SPEED Primally feel so right so deep down in the soul.

I am so very grateful to have the opportunity to keep this journal and to have you all to help keep me honest and to teach me new things, I cannot say thank you enough!!!
          Chris
          "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
          Unknown

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• Originally posted by demuralist View Post
            Karin, you must be really close though. How tall are you?

Paula, I am thrilled that you are asking yourself those questions instead of beating yourself up!!!
            I am 5'6" I think I am about a size away, maybe less.
            Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pebbles67 View Post
              It's funny how we learn from each other. I was insisting that my binges were wholly emotional/psychological while you were insisting that binges are due to a nutritional need. It turns out that for me it is both. Once I fulfill the nutritional need, dealing with the emotions without bingeing is so much easier. I don't need to beat myself up anymore because I have tools that are helping me be successful. I think the constant failure to avoid the binges was wearing on me.
              ^5 sister!!
              Karin

Comment

• Originally posted by demuralist View Post
                Paula, I am so excited that you can see where I am coming from. I think that since the science is not totally there for a real clear understanding of how binges work, we have to make our best guess. And a series of things that I read and tried over the course of this past year or so really helped me to see that, for me, when I am physically nourished it is easier to deal with the emotions. And actually for me things started to clear almost 3 years ago, when I was in a forum where people were enumerating their emotional reasons for binging and I thought wow that is so NOT me. And at the same time I read about the Starvation Experiment and saw how those men reacted, what they did, and their emotions and a light bulb clicked for me. And then things I have read about the idea that people resist exercise because their bodies are not burning fuel in a manner that makes it enjoyable. Knowing that I am not a lazy, junk eating, slob and convincing myself that I am not the person that so many of the established nutrition/diet experts say are what overweight Americans are.

I heard a quote last night that really talks to this. I don't know who said it but it went something like "I would not be where I am today if I wasn't where I was yesterday".

So I really think that all the diets I have gone through and all the things I was able to take away from them and knowing that doing SAD (even with exercise) not only didn't get or keep me at a reasonable weight it is the reason I ended up being 130 pounds overweight, and that is what made doing SPEED Primally feel so right so deep down in the soul.

I am so very grateful to have the opportunity to keep this journal and to have you all to help keep me honest and to teach me new things, I cannot say thank you enough!!!
                Chris: I know we have discussed this before but just so I understand.. when you binge, its because your body is missing something. It could be a nutrient (most likely) or even a withdrawal?? If so,, that does make sense. I think its hard to analyze during a binge just what your body needs. It must be also wrapped up the neuro-network of your brain because I know when that happens to me, I can not think straight or reason well. I just NEED!!! Thank goodness this does not happen often. I have been able though to recognize triggers for binges but I do not have them all.
                Karin

Comment

• WT. 255.8!!! That is down .8 and only .4 away from where I started the holiday/baking season.

I was 289.8 when I started Atkins in March. I lost 20 pounds, then gained 14 pounds in a week from taking Prednisone and it took 7weeks to lose it back. Then went on Primal Blueprint at 267 on August 20th. I got to come off of the diuretic, but gained 10 in a week when I did and then it took 6 weeks to lose it back. Then October 10th I found SPEED and I weighed 264.4 got down to 255.4 by December 1, then gained 7 pounds over the course of the holidays, and now it is taking me only 3 weeks to lose it back. So my long term success is not that impressive here, and is very like a roller coaster, but I am very close to 35 pounds total down and right at 8 pounds in 3 months of SPEED!

its been a very bumpy ride. For me it tells me that this is not just a diet, it is what I come back to and that is encouraging because it helps me to believe that it is maintainable. And that feels really good.
                  Chris
                  Unknown

Comment

• Originally posted by athomeontherange View Post
                    Chris: I know we have discussed this before but just so I understand.. when you binge, its because your body is missing something. It could be a nutrient (most likely) or even a withdrawal?? If so,, that does make sense. I think its hard to analyze during a binge just what your body needs. It must be also wrapped up the neuro-network of your brain because I know when that happens to me, I can not think straight or reason well. I just NEED!!! Thank goodness this does not happen often. I have been able though to recognize triggers for binges but I do not have them all.
                    Yes, for example yesterday I felt a strong urge to binge around 11 am. So I had a big lunch with lots of protein and fat plus a banana. The binge urge started to turn off almost immediately. I also drank more water and took my nap. The rest of the day was fine and I even ate a tiny dinner - 2oz meat and coffee with CO milk. I have made 11 days without a binge and am in my PMS week which is usually my most dangerous time. The key for lessening the binge urge for me in general was dropping the sweeteners. That must have been my big trigger. N=1, I stopped using them=I stopped bingeing. BUT, I still have to work the plan.
                    Primal since 9/24/2010
                    "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Comment

• that is quite a roller coaster but look how far you come. What is almost as important as the weight you have lost is the knowledge you have gained. You KNOW how your body works now. That accounts for a whole lot in my book.
                      Karin

Comment

• And I wanted to add that as much as I miss a sweet cup of coffee in the AM, it does not compare to how good eating clean feels.
                        Primal since 9/24/2010

Comment

• Originally posted by Pebbles67 View Post
                          Yes, for example yesterday I felt a strong urge to binge around 11 am. So I had a big lunch with lots of protein and fat plus a banana. The binge urge started to turn off almost immediately. I also drank more water and took my nap. The rest of the day was fine and I even ate a tiny dinner - 2oz meat and coffee with CO milk. I have made 11 days without a binge and am in my PMS week which is usually my most dangerous time. The key for lessening the binge urge for me in general was dropping the sweeteners. That must have been my big trigger. N=1, I stopped using them=I stopped bingeing. BUT, I still have to work the plan.
                          so if I am reading this right. When bingeing for you happens and you are not consuming sweeteners, your body needs high protein and moderate natural carbs.
                          Karin

Comment

• Karin, we are cross posting...

I am sure you are close to being able to wear the suits, they are supposed to be pretty snug as they are meant for exercising in, not lounging, so they want to hold it together so to speak.

Yep, basically i believe that first and foremost the body works to survive and thrive, and that everything it pushes you to do is in its own best interest. And if you are craving something or in binge mode that the body is trying to fulfill a need, and I believe that need is physical (which definitely sets off emotional triggers). I also believe that it is possible that certain emotional situations set off physical needs in the body in they way that hormones get set off and then use nutrients differently.

Too think about when you are tired, if you go days without sleep, your brain works differently, eventually it will force you to sleep. Sleep is essential to survival. If you go days and don't get the nutrients you need -on SAD lets say its fat, and we desperately need fat to be able to use the fat soluble vitamins- or carbs because they are fast energy when you are getting too few calories/nutrients- your body will take over and your brain will glaze over and you will binge.
                            Chris
                            Unknown

Comment

• Oh, Chris, I'm so excited for you!

I like this. A lot. "I would not be where I am today if I wasn't where I was yesterday". Heck, even weight watchers taught me a lot. I just didn't have complete information to use it appropriately.
                              -- Ruth

Comment

• I think if you don't let yourself get to that strong a deficit in a nutrient your body will tell you what you need. For me it has been to balance my fat and protein-well I eat about the same amount of grams of fat and protein, which means twice as many fat calories as protein calories.

I think Paula will find that at different times different things will stop the binge, ignoring it is unlikely to work though.
                                Chris
                                Unknown

Comment

Working...
                                X