No announcement yet.

Primal Journal-deMuralist

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chris: I haven't seen you post for awhile now. I hope everything is going well for you.

Comment

• thanks for checking in on me. I don't get on here so much now that I don't work at the archive anymore I am not on the computer as much as I used to be. That is good and bad I guess.

Honey is going out of town today thru Saturday, so I will be back soon to fill in all the details and catch up with everyone else's journals.
      Chris
      "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
      Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• Welcome back! Don't be a stranger!

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

Comment

• thank you!

So my Honey has been in New York for the past 4 days. He took our daughter to see The Color Purple on Broadway last night, she stayed with him over night and they met friends for breakfast. I couldn't go because I am working. So I missed 4 days in NYC, Broadway and breakfast with my daughter so I could work for minimum wage at a popsicle stand. And today, ended up staying home because it appears that I contracted pink eye.

So I have been in a funk all week. It is the first time since I started a fasting regime that I ate because of emotions as opposed to hunger.

4 days, not horrible quality, but huge quantities. I feel like crap. I gained 5 pounds but honestly that is not the issue, the issue is I gave in to eating my emotions. I back slid. rats. I have done much better today. Drinking teas of various sorts, eating to hunger, not allowing myself to punish myself for the slight. just hanging out. Still sad I missed out, but ok with it now.

Sorry that my return is such a downer.

Positive notes....I did do my exercise classes this week, well not today, but Tuesday and Thursday. And Dudla got a new computer so I am getting her old one, which is a laptop. I want to use it in the kitchen for recipes, but will also use it to get on here most days. Boo comes home Tuesday, but I help him move into his dorm on Thursday. I signed up for a photography class at the university. that will be fun!
          Chris
          "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
          Unknown

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• Ok, the plan is taking shape...My fasting days will be Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, because I don't do well, quantity wise, on the days I go to exercise class. I plan to eat my dinner 4:00 every day, that is when I get home from work and that is when I am hungry even on days I am off. It has always been the start of my witching hour, so I am making it my dinner hour now.

Honey generally likes to eat dinner between 7:30 and 8 and that is too late for me as I sleep better on an empty stomach. So, when Honey comes home, I will have a glass of wine or the homemade Limoncello in the fermented lemonade while he drinks his cocktail. This is usually around 6:30. Then get up and make his dinner and clean the kitchen. So basically 6:30 to 4:00 will be foodless.

I have not decided if I need to skip my coffee/cream/stevia as well as the tea/stevia on fast days. I probably will in the beginning, but I am noticing that by stopping all the teas during the day I have basically cut down on liquids all together, water is not as tasty as the tea. So while I have seen bloggers say that Stevia elevates insulin, stopping it during the day does not seem to have made a difference that I can perceive.

I am contemplating growing stevia as a house plant and just brewing the leaves with my tea. Honey wants to get an aerogarden or something akin, so I could grow stevia in that with my salad greens.

Exercise wise, Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday are classes, Sunday and Monday are garden/house, when the weather gets a little nicer I will walk to work and back (about 2 miles one way) on Wednesdays. Fridays I have to have my car at work for bank runs, so that will be my lazy day I guess.
            Chris
            Unknown

Comment

• Originally posted by demuralist View Post
              ... I ate because of emotions as opposed to hunger...
              It's going to happen. You will move on from it. Hugs.

Comment

• thank you. I think every once in a while I have to dip into that emotional eating so that I don't get overly confident.

Today is going well. I found out yesterday afternoon that what was thought to be benign polyps on my BFF's lady parts is actually cancer. They feel like they have caught it super early, but she has had to have a hysterectomy today. So I am making her a loaf of bread (she loves bread), a huge crock of my version of ratatouille, and her favorite dessert- Tres Leche. I am putting ground up hibiscus in the topping, for the anti-inflammatory properties, the vitamin C, and the color, very pretty purple. I always make it for her birthday and I wanted it to be a little different for this. Her hubby will bring her home tomorrow! New kind of procedure, just 4 tiny scars, and thus very little time needed for healing. Wild. I know this is messing with her, she HATES having to admit that all the crazy theories about health did not prevent something like this.

So I have been cooking all day, and somehow, like Sabine, it has kept me on track regarding my very low calorie day. Not typical for me, but it is working.

I finished my calories last night at 7pm. I did have coffee with cream and stevia today at 8am, I actually slept that late, unreal because I have been waking up at 6:15 every morning. For the rest of the day I have gone back to drinking tea. Had a Double Green Matcha this morning. I then made a ginger/tumeric by simmering chunks of fresh ginger and turmeric. When I finish that I just made a hibiscus tea by simmering dried flowers that I will drink for the rest of the afternoon. (I ordered 1 lbs of dried hibiscus-it is quite a lot of flowers!)

Work is going well, the people are fantastic. And Tuesday and Friday go very quickly as I have a lot to do. Wednesday, Thursday, and Saturday are very tedious. We are going through a transition right now as the college students we employ peel off to go back to school, so after I see how it goes I may talk to her about not working on Saturdays.
                Chris
                Unknown

Comment

• Today is a very low calorie day. Dinner will be veggies and beef (my son is home). Finished my calories last night at 7, will likely eat dinner tonight around 5, Honey has a reception to go to, so just me and Boo for dinner.

So my weight is headed back down and I am now just 6 pounds from my recent low weight, and I am back to the right mental place. Wish I could bottle this and drink from it when I am not in the right attitude. Don't know what it is that gets me here, but if I did and I could sell it, I would make a fortune!

I take Boo back to school tomorrow. He is a rising senior. So it is likely the last time I will move him into a dorm, I am not upset by that! The move in process is always a hassle, though this particular dorm has been the most organized of all the ones I have moved my children into over the years. I am sad that I got so little time with him this summer.
                  Chris
                  Unknown

Comment

• Long day yesterday. Most of it very good. Moved Boo into the dorm, likely the last dorm, yesterday. The drive there and the entire day were great. We talked politics and history, his level on knowledge on those two subjects always amazes me. A smattering of conversation about his future. He is at a difficult place, he doesn't like change and he is in his senior year. He needs to figure out his next step. He knows he should likely go on to graduate school, mostly because he is not enamored with aerospace engineering. But he is also not enamored with the idea of continuing school. He would be a phenomenal professor, but says he doesn't want to teach. He is at a crossroads, and basically I asked him to stay open to possibilities that present themselves.

He is a great kid, obviously I want him to be happy.

Today is a very low calorie day for me. Not sure what dinner will be, but I am making pizza for Honey. That is easy to resist as I make him an individual one, no leftovers and nothing to pick at. I will probably do eggs florentine.

I am down one more pound after yesterday's hauling of stuff to the dorm and all the walking around shopping! That means I am within 5 pounds of my recent low. sweet.
                    Chris
                    Unknown

Comment

• Hooray on all accounts

It's so hard to decide what to do with one's life. I do not love, or even really like my job, but it is very flexible and I get paid well and I don't have a passion that I would follow. I hope Boo can find something he enjoys and go for it. My husband does not like change and stays in situations much longer than he should for the security.
                      -- Ruth

Comment

• One of my daughters always wanted to be a lawyer. She went to college with that goal. Then during her junior year, a note to an online gaming company, telling them how to fix a problem with the game lead to a summer job. That lead to the company wanting her to work full time.

She thought about not finishing her last semester. I thought otherwise and convinced her to finish her degree. However, the pull of making good money had her deciding not to go to law school. She worked at the gaming company for about a year.

After graduation, she moved close to me, and got a job as a social worker. She did that for a year and was very successful. Then, on a whim, applied for an IT job at our local hospital. She got the job and in the last year and a half she has gotten several promotions and raises. She is now an IT manager.

Her degree is in psychology. Moral of the story, getting a degree in something doesn't mean you're pigeonholed. As smart as your son is, he might find himself trying many things, while being very successful, until he finds his thing.

Comment

• Thank you Marcadav! That is what I have been telling him (and his friends actually). Just get the degree and be open to the possibilities. I did manage to talk him and one of his friends out of changing degrees. That is pretty much the same situation that went on with my daughter. She went to school to become a forensic pathologist. Through a series of twists and turns in a variety of labs is now studying to get a PhD in Virology and to research and teach. I think a degree in Aerospace Engineering will be a huge benefit no matter what position he applies for!

I do totally get it because I am so far from what I thought I would do at this stage of my life it is ridiculous.

Life is going well for me other than the sadness that always hits me when I cart off the kids. The house just seems so damn quiet.

I am having my fellow employees from the historical society over for brunch tomorrow. It will be interesting to hear everyone's stories since our leaving was staggered over the course of 2 years, and a variety of things came out during that time. We will each have such different opinions regarding our boss, the first interim and the second interim presidents. They are a great group of women so it will be fun.

I am making fresh bread (local honey, home ground wheat, wild yeast). A Spinach salad (local greens) with bacon, local goat cheese, candied pecans, and a hibiscus vinaigrette. A Frittata with local eggs, local tomatoes, fresh local mozzarella, and local basil. Dessert will be pavlova, with homemade lemon curd (we don't grow lemons in Tennessee), and whipped cream with sour cream and hibiscus. For drinks I have my fermented Lemonade (non-alcoholic) with hibiscus tea mixed in, and coffee from Honey's roasted beans. I love summer farmer's markets!!!
                          Chris
                          Unknown

Comment

• I am so glad to see that you pulled out of your emotional eating period. You seem to be doing great now.

Will your son's degree make him a "Rocket Scientist"?
                            Primal since 9/24/2010
                            "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
                            MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Comment

• Yes, technically he will be a rocket scientist! His Senior Thesis is about combinations of solid and liquid rocket fuels and the advantages and disadvantages of using different percentages of each to shoot and sustain rocket launches that he is testing by, well, shooting off rockets. Kind of hard to believe he is not enamored with it. But there is a lot of down time, and he doesn't love that.

Had a little mini- emotional splurge yesterday. Had not slept well, then absolutely nothing was going right, frustration led to depression led to a little bit of emotional eating before I managed to nip it in the bud and eat a pretty large portion of beef roast. Realized I likely was getting very low on iron or protein (hard to distinguish which but when I get tingly while trying to sleep this is often the cause). So I made a pot roast for dinner last night.

Slept extremely well last night and I am kicking ass today. I have already done a couple of hours of yard work (weather is finally beautiful here), started the laundry, cleaned the kitchen, sketched my concept for the painting I am going to do for my mom's house, played with the calligraphy for my Christmas card design, and figured out how to make Dudla's old computer (which I got when she got her new one) talk to my computer and phone and not her computer/phone/iPad. And it is only 11:30! Booya! I need to finish the laundry, color my roots, and start my fermented lemonade. Then I can spend the rest of the day, playing with the painting and calligraphy!

Today is supposed to be a very low calorie day, but I have decided to take it easy on myself and just go very low carb instead.

I tracked my meals for a couple of random days and realized I am not getting enough protein, so I have a plan to do white fish one night, salmon one night, shrimp one night, chicken one night, then beef the other nights of the week. I have also gone back to drinking ACV, and now add a scant tablespoon of Unsulphured Blackstrap Molasses to it, and a LOT of water.

Forgot to mention that I talked Boo into letting me get him a crock pot, and then got him a couple of nice roasts from Costco. He texted me to say that the roast came out perfectly. He was very happy. Me too, I can now say that I raised 2 totally self sufficient children. That is more than I can say about the husband!
                              Chris
                              Unknown

Comment

• So, I am tracking my food for a little while to see what the heck is going on. Yesterday was very low carb, and essentially ended up being LCHF, I am not good at getting protein in, but I can sure get the fat! Same with today's planned menu. I have set the tracker for 20% carb, 50% fat, and 30% protein. Today's plan sees me hit the carb and fat goal, but come way short on the protein. Currently I am not going to work to change, I just want to see what is going on, so I plan to track for a couple of weeks to get a feel for it. That will bump me right up against my visit to my mom's, I plan to be there a week, then I will figure out what I want to do when I get back.

So I got everything done I wanted to yesterday, except for my roots. I don't mind the grey, I just do not like the dusty color of my darker hair. However, I do have 2 lovely white streaks that if I grew them out would copy the Bride of Frankenstein look. So I have to wait to grow out the coloring until I have a more even distribution of white!

I have sketched my picture for mom's painting. I am excited. The painting is a long horizontal about a foot tall but 4.5 feet wide, and I have had a heck of a time deciding what I wanted to do. I decided to use a combo of photos, one I took, one sis took, and one from a site for NSB. It will be a sunrise painting that includes their lighthouse to the left, a silhouette of my mom walking on a boardwalk just left of center, and in the right corner a rendition of my sister taking a picture of it all.

I have also narrowed down the Christmas card design and I am probably crazy, but each card will have hand lettering on it! I send about 100 cards, so I will be starting on this ASAP!
                                Chris
                                Unknown

Comment

Working...
                                X