Primal Journal-deMuralist

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Pebbles67 View Post
    Good for you. Use that frustration...just don't eat it. It's too bad that the ED doesn't bother him enough to change diet to take care of it. If my husband had ED he would go Primal so fast my head would spin. lol Funny how his heart problems don't inspire that kind of action. (BTW he is still in the research thinking about it stage)
    I am thinking he is relieved now he has an excuse, but that is likely just a little harsh on my part.
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• Originally posted by athomeontherange View Post
      I am not married, never have been (though not opposed should I meet the right man, where ARE THEY?!) so I know absolutely NOTHING but have you read The Love Dare?

You are such a awesome vibrant woman!! Hey, maybe ya'll can brew some kombucha!! You could both drink it and it would be healthy!!
      Thanks, I love ya! you made me smile. But it is a thought.

p.s. will look up the book, thanks.
      Chris
      "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
      Unknown

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• Wow, I can relate to you guys! I was raised with the limited physical touch thing so I know how hard it can be. I had to learn as a young adult how to hug people and that it did not have to be so uncomfortable. I also love the 5LL book - so enlightening. I remember trying to figure mine out and they suggested "what do you ask your spouse the most for". Back scratches and foot rubs - yep - physical touch is mine. Imagine the light bulb that went off about my upbringing and this revelation. My hubby's is "acts of service". Well that info helped me not feel like "just a maid" doing all the stuff wives do just to keep the family going (cleaning, cooking, cleaning, shopping, cleaning...). I just keep telling myself that I am expressing my love.

I feel for ya w/ the ED thing. My hubby had a spinal fusion this year and well, nothing works the same and he is often so uncomfortable that I just try to hug him and not make a big deal of things. We too are a little lost at the moment, but I know that this is just one more of the things for us to work on and grow through - not matter how it works out. He eats whatever I feed him, so his diet is pretty primal. I'm hoping that good nutrition will help him heal and feel like himself again.

I clean like crazy when I am unhappy too, so a clean house is never a really good thing around here. Luckily, the kids and dogs are really messy and that rarely happens

Comment

• ok 55 is WAY too young. And you may think that he doesnt care, that he just gave up on that but you could be very very wrong. Men think differently, and they approach things differently too. Its very difficult for a man to address the issue of ED.....extremely difficult. Pride has a very stong place in a mans way of thinking. Pride is somewhat of a bad thing (biblically) BUT men are men...they are to protect and support, and they are to be a MAN. They are brought up that way....they think about sex several times an hour, they take pride in size.....performance.....etc. This is their thought process for so many years (think of college boys------) And then years later it suddenly comes to a halt. They should talk to you about it......but that would either make you feel that you dont satisfy them any longer. or that would make them have to admit that their manhood is broken.......neither are comfortable conversations, so avoidance is the easiest--on the surface anyway. The longer it goes on, the harder it is to oveercome. The thought of trying to satisfy their wife with other means brings fear to them....again we get to the point of having to face the reality...and God forbid have a conversation about it. Vicious circle.

Having said that I have been 'without' for 2 years now.....and I am 46, he is 57. This is NOT OK with me. Its medical, surguries and weight as well....and its NOT OK with me....let me get on the roof top and shout that. But he wont deal with it. And if I try to bring it up he starts to pout and talk about how worthless he is, etc etc etc........and I hate to deal with that so I avoid............another vicious circle.

Getting off my soap box..

5 Love Languages is a great book. The Bible addressed this long ago....Husbands love your wives, Wives obey (respect) your husbands. God created us silly people. He knew that women needed to See, Touch and Hear LOVE and Men would know they were loved by being shown respect.
          Redflame
          Started PB Aug 9, 2010 then let 'stuff' get in the way
          Back to start and make a fantastic 2012
          Goal of Significant Weight Loss
          15 pounds down! with more to go!

Comment

• Well said Redflame!

I am 44, my husband is 52. I should be grateful that he has been in good health so far and that our sex life hasn't suffered. Because, admittedly, even though I am the less sexual one, going without would not be ok with me either. This is especially true now that I am getting healthy and other men are starting to notice. As Redflame said, He takes a lot of pride in his performance.
            Primal since 9/24/2010
            "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
            MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Comment

• As to the 5LL, I am physical touch, he is service. So I have decided to try much harder to keep the kitchen and house in general clean, concentrating on those areas that he spends time in. He loves the smell of clorox, as it makes him realize I cleaned something, so I will use it more, maybe as a perfume!

I am still searching for those notes from the seminar, because it supported the idea that you change and the relationship will grow from there, similar to 5LL.

We will have to have a conversation about the whole sex issue, but I will give it a month or so to work on these other things so that he will feel more loved before we start talking.

You guys are great, I so appreciate your support. It is sad, but comforting to know, that I am not alone.
              Chris
              Unknown

Comment

• WT. 257.8 so down another one and 4.4 for the week, and, drum roll please....essentially back to where I was when I left for Florida. Now when I get down 2 more I will match my low weight for December!

This morning is all about groceries, this afternoon will be spent on my volunteer project for the church service. Then I am going to make DH a nice salad and some peanut butter ice cream (his fav), he just got back from being out of town and has a stressful week ahead of him, this will make him feel loved.

Oh, last night I had dinner alone (DS had a sleepover, and dh was not home yet) so I put a burger in a fry pan and on the other side I put a small pat of butter and threw in a large handful of frozen green beans. Some of the beans got crispy and all of them soaked up the butter and a bit of the grease from the beef, and all of them were fantastic! Sliced up half an avocado on top of the burger, yum!!!! And super easy.
                Chris
                Unknown

Comment

• Eating well (healing your body) and losing weight have helped me with sex drive...I'm willing to bet it works the same with men. Speaking from my own DH's experience, primal eating also helps with physical problems. But, I know you can't force the issue of primal eating. I know that when my husband used to try and "help" me by telling me not to eat that or that I should eat this, it backfired. I didn't want to be told what to do. Such a pickle when we know we are right

Have a wonderful day. I can see it now - your sideline business - new perfume - eau de Clorox. Probably be a big hit. Many men find it pretty attractive
                  -- Ruth

Comment

• I control as much as I have control over, regarding food, which leaves lunches open. But he is still better than he was. Except for some reason he will not eat a full serving of protein, I know for a fact that he is way low on it. I can however sneak in healthy fats without him trying to cut the portions in half.

The junk just slowly disappears from our pantry. There are no more cereals, crackers, chips, etc. I do keep microwave popcorn, for now. He used to do a couple of squares of dark chocolate with almonds in it, but realized that I thought it was ok for him to eat it and stopped eating it (he is very stubborn). Anyway that is when I stopped saying anything about Primal and just started a very slow clean out of the pantry.

I do make him breakfast bars which have grains/carbs in them. But he doesn't need to lose weight, I cannot find a recipe that is a reasonable substitute, and I have cut the sugar in it way down and increased the protein. So this is a do the best I can do situation. But if his lunches were better it would all balance out. (he insists on having those Healthy Choice, pop in the micro, things).

I sincerely hope this primal eating and losing weight does not increase my sex drive!!!!!
                    Chris
                    Unknown

Comment

• Chris, we must have been posting at the same time. CONGRATS on the loss and being back to where you were pre-Florida.

Is there any way you can sneak protein powder in his foods? My own DH doesn't eat enough protein and I've been trying to add in protein powder (sometimes its the regular protein powder, sometimes that beef unflavored gelatin) when he doesn't know it. I'm not as good as I need to be, but I'm getting better. He has this mindset that he can't eat that much (and, maybe it's partly because he does get really full on protein and partly because he'd rather eat his treats!).

I bet you'll be okay on the sex drive. Mine can be non-existent if I'm stressed, sick, undernourished, etc. So, when I say "increase", I mean come back from zero. I can tell you it's nowhere near where DH would like it to be
                      -- Ruth

Comment

• Excellent News. I'm proud of you for taking care of yourself when you were alone. Being alone can set up a big binge danger for me.
                        Primal since 9/24/2010
                        "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
                        MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Comment

• Congrats on the weight loss - so nice to get back to pre-hoilday status. You've made a lot of progress - both for you and family. Cleaning out the pantry took me forever also as I just used up stuff and dd not replace it. I swear it took months for the crackers to finally exaust their supply (seriously, as my daughter pulled out yet another box one day, I was like "where do you keep finding these"!

Can you sneak some protien powder into the PB ice cream? How about a soup or other recipe. His taste will change slowly over time as well, and things should get easier - at least that's what I found in my family.

Comment

• Congradualtions about the weight!! I love the way you are "cleaning" up the pantry.

Clorox cologne is so awesome!! LOL Perhaps, every once in a while you change things up with a little lysol
                            Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

Comment

• I am thinking I need to make the bone broth as I suspect it has more protein than regular broth, and he will eat soups. I also added an extra pound of ground beef to the last batch of beef and cabbage soup I made. I never thought to add the powder to his ice cream, very clever!

I have trouble getting enough protein too, so I will have to figure this one out. He works out religiously, so he really needs it.

He definitely limits his food thinking he wants to lose 5 more pounds (don't get me started on this), then ends up looking for something treat like later in the evening, saying "I don't know why I am so hungry tonight" nearly every single night! I hold my tongue, but it is sooooo hard!

I was working on the slow release of junk from my pantry then frustration set in and I sent a bunch of it to church (they have a snack area at the evening service).
                              Chris
                              Unknown

Comment

• I add protein powder/unflavored beef gelatin to whatever I can think of! Homemade pudding, ice cream, etc. If I made a Paleo "cake", I mix some in there. Literally, almost everything except plain meat I also double meat in recipes. That helps a lot.

My husband just likes treats. So, he'll skimp on the good stuff so he can have room for the junk. I'm doing my best to make sure there isn't as much junk available, and that it's "healthier" junk (e.g.,, I'd rather he eat veggie chips than a bag of Doritos).
                                -- Ruth

Comment

Working...
                                X