Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by The Walrus View Post
    Question for ya from Ritten Remedy - I hear you da woman -

I have two duvet covers I want to dye. I know exactly what I want for mine, grey dip dyes on either end. The other I'm giving to my Gentleman and the only thing I've really set is blue.

I have one plain white cover and one that has a stripe woven into the fabric texture. I was sort of thinking that would echo the sort of stripes I want for mine and free up the plain one for more creativity on his, but I've already got a richly pattered pillow and I don't want that to be too much. I can always do his straight blue, and that would be easier to work with and not mess up.
    Ok so if it was me, I would think that if you dip dyed the stripe cover, you would not be happy with the combination of stripe and ombré. That is not to say that if you dyed the whole thing and got a striped effect that a grey striped duvet would not look great with a multi colored pillow, though it would probably look best if the pillow had some of the grey in it, even if only the tiniest bit. Probably save the ombré or other creative technique for the plain cover and let the striped one do the job of giving you a variation of tone that would keep it from looking boring by just dying it one color.

Be sure to check the material of the duvet to see if they will accept the dyes you have chosen to use. Some synthetics do not accept color well and of course if some kind of scotch guard was put on they won't do well either. I do not have great luck with the dye from the grocery store, however I once got some packages that a store was closing out that were dyes that were meant for batik and the colors were beautiful and held up very well. But I have not dyed anything for at least 10 years.

Good luck.
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• Originally posted by demuralist View Post
      Ok so if it was me, I would think that if you dip dyed the stripe cover, you would not be happy with the combination of stripe and ombré. That is not to say that if you dyed the whole thing and got a striped effect that a grey striped duvet would not look great with a multi colored pillow, though it would probably look best if the pillow had some of the grey in it, even if only the tiniest bit. Probably save the ombré or other creative technique for the plain cover and let the striped one do the job of giving you a variation of tone that would keep it from looking boring by just dying it one color.
      Jinx!
      I like badgers, books and booze, more or less in that order.

Comment

• I would love that white-on-white striped cover - I love that sort of thing.
        My journal - The Walrus: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread108103.html

Be silly, be honest, be kind. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

• Heehee BG.

Walrus, I am with you. I made a lovely duvet cover for our duvet but generally don't use it because I prefer the white. The cover perfectly matches the scheme of the room which is all warm non metallic bronze and gold type colors but the white duvet just is so clean and inviting.
          Chris
          "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
          Unknown

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• well, we are snowed in, actually more truthfully and more typical, we are iced in. There is a thin coating of snow, under which is a nice sheet of ice. And the "flurries" are actually tiny ice pellets. Didn't have plans to go out anyway, so no big deal today. But Honey was supposed to go out of town tomorrow and I was supposed to take him to the airport at 6:30am, not gonna happen, backing out of an icy steep driveway not a good idea. Even if we managed to get up the hill without smacking the brick wall, the rest of the drive would be treacherous. Not worth risking our lives. He will have to delay the trip.

What I will do is to cut the material for the cushion cover, and hope that I have some piping cord somewhere in the house. Kinda doubt it, so sewing the whole thing together will have to wait till I can get some. Too bad because it does look like I am stuck in the house for a few days.

I am puffy this morning, dinner was not in line with what I am working on. Last night's company brought along half of the meal, and though she really tried, everything had some ingredient that was not on my plan. I am a little surprised at how difficult this is, given that I thought I was pretty close to what it said to eat. that last bit of wheat, and sugar, are very hard to let go of, as well as the raw veggies. I can do it, and I am just being whiney this morning. My blood work is on Thursday morning, I will keep reminding myself of this and get very serious these next few days. Should be easier given what is available in the house right now.

Here in middle Tennessee, for some reason, when this kind of storm is predicted, people hit the grocery stores and buy up all the milk and white bread. It is hilarious. It is every grocery in town, it is sort of a running joke with the radio DJ's and such. Well this time a friend sent me a photo of the grocery store and there was not a single bag of any kind of salad/lettuce either. At least they are adding something a little healthier, but honestly people, if the electricity goes out, those are not the best choices!
            Chris
            Unknown

Comment

• Originally posted by demuralist View Post

Be sure to check the material of the duvet to see if they will accept the dyes you have chosen to use. Some synthetics do not accept color well and of course if some kind of scotch guard was put on they won't do well either. I do not have great luck with the dye from the grocery store, however I once got some packages that a store was closing out that were dyes that were meant for batik and the colors were beautiful and held up very well. But I have not dyed anything for at least 10 years.

Good luck.
              Thank you lady! That is what I did, but then I washed it. ;( I guess next time I'll have to buy that color fixative and give it a dunk in that.

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

Comment

• Hope it all works out and that it didn't ruin anything when it washed out.

We are still iced in, likely to be all week. Our driveway is covered in over a 1/2 of the stuff. Honey has been chiseling away at it in hopes that we can get him to the airport on Sunday afternoon. His flight for this morning was luckily cancelled.

I spent yesterday watching youtube videos on upholstering, well on making a cushion with piping. So glad I did, because even though I was thinking it was pretty straight forward, I have not done it before and there were a few tricks I would not have thought of. Unfortunately I don't have the piping cord or the cording foot for my machine. So all I can do is cut out the parts for now.

I am going to take a swing at my closet though. Everything that is too big now is going out, no matter how much I love it. The things that are too small, well I will only keep those pieces that I absolutely love/bring me joy (I gotta have something to wear on the way down until I can get to the store right?). I am going to try everything questionable on. If I am going to be stuck in the house for a week, I think this is a good activity. Though, I may have to do something in the basement to stay out of my Honey's view, he tends to sidetrack my plans with activities he thinks we should do, and no not the really fun stuff more like "lets put up that pegboard today" kind of stuff.

I am actually going to do a fast today. Because even though I have managed to stay away from wheat and grains, I still am managing to find ways to get lots of calories and not in the most healthy way (Almond butter by the spoonful anyone?). So lots of fluids today, and salmon and spaghetti squash for dinner.

I did make a non-grain 'bread', it will work because it has a good texture and very little taste so it will be a good base for other things like the lovely guac I have sitting in the fridge. I made Honey some lovely rolls (normal yeast/flour kind) which made him very happy. Then while he was out shoveling the drive (well chiseling it) I made him some PB cookies (no flour in them). So even if our electricity goes out (much of the city has lost theirs), we will be set as far as food goes. And we have 2 gas fireplaces so we have heat. Bring it on, Mother Nature!
                Chris
                Unknown

Comment

• The sound of the ice falling off the rood is so freaky for this Florida girl, glad it isn't doing that in the middle of the night!
                  Chris
                  Unknown

Comment

• Yesterday's fast was not a fast at all. It was all healthy food, on my list, but being house bound unexpectedly tends to make me "hungry". OK, bored. Most of the eating that I do that is not actually in response to physical hunger is due to work avoidance. I have been using these house bound days to work on projects that I have been putting off. I have been putting them off because they are not my favorite things to do. This kind of eating is something I have to teach myself to stop doing, so this week that I am in the house is good practice.

I just need to get around my witching hour, so I will be sequestering myself in the basement for that 1pm to 4pm time frame, doing the treadmill and continuing to cut the fabric for the cushion. No I didn't finish it, I stopped to get something to eat and didn't get back to it. see what I mean?

It is especially difficult when Honey is also home because I am trying to keep him from losing weight (nature is so cruel), so I am enticing him with foods he likes but that are maybe a bit higher in calories than say salad. Not junk mind you, but it has to be sneaky. Can't be beef or bacon, as he thinks they are bad for him and won't eat even a serving's worth of either. He is a PB fan, and though I know that some Primal folk think that is not a good choice, it works for him. So I put it in whatever I can. This morning it was in steel cut oats after he shoveled the driveway (again).
                    Chris
                    Unknown

Comment

• We are at 10 degrees right now, wind chill is -3. Middle Tennessee is considered the South for heavens sake. Yesterday the city actually salted the hilly part of our street. Unfortunately the part in front of our house is not part of the hill apparently so it didn't get salted and is still an ice rink. My friends are actually posting pictures of their children ice skating on their driveways and streets.

So I will admit that yesterday I was not successful at avoiding eating to avoid a job I had to do. Odd thing is I still got the jobs done. But I could not stop eating all day long. And while I was putting food in my mouth I was telling myself I must need some nutrient and that is why I could not feel satisfied. All "healthy" no junk, but still...blather, I was suppressing something, and doing it so well I don't even know what it is. Maybe just the whole work avoidance thing or cabin fever. Who knows.

I feel guilty when Honey is home if I am doing something "fun" instead of "productive". This has absolutely nothing to do with anything he has ever said or even hinted at, and would be shocked to see that I felt that way, but when he is home I would not as a rule feel comfortable sitting and reading or even knitting. He has been home with me all week. Is right now trying to decide if he should try to get to work. Honestly I wish he would.

Today is another attempt at a fast. I feel puffy and lethargic. I am going to treat myself well. After the treadmill. I plan to read and knit all day. I have 2 books I am working on. One is "the life-changing magic of tidying up" and the other is "Dear Committee Members" (which is pretty funny so far). I am trying to get a baby blanket finished this week as she ended up having the baby early. And then I the 2 blankets for the friend who has twins due this summer. Then I will get back to the lovely shawl I am working on for myself.
                      Chris
                      Unknown

Comment

• I get the difficulty of fasting when you are at home surrounded by food. It is a struggle i totally understand. Good luck with fast today...

Comment

• thank you. It is disappointing because I will get very good at it and think "ooo, I got this!", then go through a spurt where I obviously do not have it. This has been one of those spurts. Luckily, it has generally just taken one good fast to turn things around, success begets success.
                          Chris
                          Unknown

Comment

• Wow.. old man winter has hit y'all hard. Stay warm and safe!

I hear you on those successful streaks and then its like the bottom drops out and its hard to get back on track. I feel this way with workouts.
                            Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

Comment

• Primal Journal-deMuralist

well, the good news is that I am on a streak with the treadmill.

And I measured my waist and hips and have lost 4" from each of them since last summer! That means that I only have to lose 2.5 inches off my waist until it is half the inches of my height which is one of my health goals.
                              Last edited by demuralist; 02-19-2015, 11:54 AM.
                              Chris
                              Unknown

Comment

• I wonder if this extra cold weather is maybe taxing our bodies or immune systems. I can't count how many people are commenting on how much food they seem to want at the moment. Me too! I have hit a point of IDGAF I'm hungry. Not for junk, but good food. I even gave myself the okay to eat bad food if I really wanted it, and after a gluten free pizza days ago I just wanted some veg and eggs.

Comment

Working...
                                X